Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/MrPostsGood/status/1597722640005103616

Refers to this but he seems to have locked his account in between me copying link and posting it here!

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1597502714795417600

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Baileys is the thing I miss most about being teetotal.

As my teetotalness of the past 17 years is because of bad reaction to alcohol (allergic reaction - tachycardia, feeling the blood thumping round my body for hours afterwards etc) not 'clean living' or religion, I was happy to discover last year that I can actually cope with the special Christmas cream with baileys in it. Brandy or cointreau cream however sets me off badly so need to avoid completely.

Meanwhile:

Can any of you good folk who know anything about electrics tell me: do RCDs have an 'ampage' in the way that fuses do?

The water heater over the bathroom sink in the guest room of our block of flats is kaput and being replaced today. Anyway, it seems to be wired into the same circuit as the ground floor sockets and when the cleaner's tried to use it, it's been causing the RCDs to go and also blowing out the front door number keypad so muggins here gets 2000 old ladies knocking on my door when I'm trying to work complaining that their friends can't get in or whatever.

My concern is that once the heater is replaced, it'll start off again if for some reason it is overloading the ampage of the RCD **if** such a thing happens!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

josh04 posted:

Unless something is very wrong there will be a circuit breaker that limits ampage going out through your ground floor sockets and the ampage will be printed somewhere on the breaker, e.g. mine say "B32" for a 32-amp breaker. Take a photo of the one that's tripping?

kecske posted:

RCDs trip on earth fault, not overcurrent. Older domestic consumer units will have a rack of MCBs (which do trip on overcurrent) all protected by one single RCD. If its the RCD that's operating rather than the MCBs then it's not an issue with amperage, but current is escaping somewhere it shouldn't.

Thanks chaps.

I can't take a photo as it is too high up! But I can ask the electrician when he gets here about that.

Current escaping sounds dangerous!

I have a problem with the old ladies that we had an ancient fuse box in there. We changed it to RCDs earlier this year and now it has been tripping which after much experimentation and deduction I have finally tracked to the water heater (and that is definitely bust).

But the old ladies are convinced that the electricians put the RCDs in wrong and I'm saying that no, the RCDs are doing their job and the old fuses weren't!
What it is to be a young old lady instead of an old old lady. :sigh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Breakers and RCBOs (RCD and breaker in one) have a rated current in the same way that a fuse wire does, and a curve, which is how long and by how much you have to exceed that by and for in order for it to pop. So a 32A breaker might withstand 40A for two seconds when a motor starts up, or 35A for a minute, but anything exceeding those will throw it.

RCDs/GFIs/RCBOs are different in that they detect current going where it shouldn't (like through your chest cavity to the tap or radiator that you're touching). They're designed to break with tiny currents like 20mA (0.02A) within the space of a couple of AC cycles, so 10s of milliseconds. If the RCDs are tripping that's usually a sign that there's an earth leakage

Earth leakage - also sounds dangerous (I guess that's the same as 'current going where it shouldn't' ) - I'll ask electrician about that too when he comes!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My relatives are a complete mixed bag from raving loony left to raving loony right.

Dad was always quite leftish on most things and on gays in the 70s he would say stuff like 'they need sympathy and understanding' (even though he thought they should stay celibate - he knew several celibate gays from people he knew in monasteries). Mum an ardent royalist and back in the 70s 'lock up gays' now she's much more ok with gays, trans, anyone really.

Mum refers to Israel, my aunt - also 85 - refuses to call it Israel and refers to Palestine. My card-carrying tory party member brother is also pro-Palestinian.
My sister-in-law and I agreed to a large extent on various social issues, but she veered off into racism and UKIP while I obviously didn't. One of my nans was ardent Labour always going on about 'the nobs' and headed up a strike at her factory during the general strike, but a terrible racist (perfect UKIPer had they been going back then). Grandad - her husband was a Working Class Tory - you should know your place. Meanwhile my other nan, not a racist at all, but always voted tory, my grandad on her side used to be a supporter of The Daily Worker (which morphed into the Morning Star) and she used to tell me how on weekends in her street (in a midlands town), all the women were tory and all the men were labour and they would stand at opposite sides of the street calling each other names.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I took a shirt to get some alterations done by someone local. I commented that her prices were good and she could get away with charging more.

"Yeah but if I charge more I'd have to pay more tax, and I don't want my money going to people on benefits".

Meanwhile, I don't want my money stuffing tory crony wallets.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The most frustrating version of this is the people who'll get halfway through a rant to me about the unemployed and how they're all just lazy, laying in bed all day, never do a day's work; and then go "Oh, but not you of course."

Like it's happened so many times I genuinely don't think that they're backtracking, I think they genuinely have exceptions to these hard rules for people they know. Even when the extent of these rules run up to and including conscripting the unemployed or letting them die on the streets.

But not you, obviously. I've imagined them as lazy thieves, but you have issues I can see, you're an exception.

It's what enabled David Cameron to claim disability for his son, and then start dismantling the entire system the second the funeral was over.

My parents are really beginning to worry me. They've voted labour their whole life, but since they've retired it's like there's this brain poison seeping into them.

My mam particularly, she keeps repeating talking points from the Mail and I've just kind of gotten used to it, because we do have some good conversations where she'll ask (for example) what gaslighting is or what transgender is because it's a word she's heard. But there's a venom to some of her opinions now that I don't remember growing up, particularly when it comes to who and what is destroying the country.

But my dad's the one worrying me the most, because there's just the odd thing he'll say. Like with energy prices, I was telling him about how half the reason energy prices are so high is because centrica sold off our storage, and I thought he'd appreciate that because I grew up with him thundering about the house complaining about the latest thing they'd changed to make his life difficult. But no, he said they'd sold them off because they were targets for terrorism.

He's absolutely convinced that the prices are only high because of the Ukraine despite us only getting like 8% of our gas from Russia, but there's just so much about the situation I'd have to memorise, and I realise now that's how it's so easy for the contrarians to get their hooks in.

Someone can memorise simple solutions and easy answers on a wide range of subjects, but if you want to refute them properly you need to memorise a more complex and informed explaination, and there are just too many lines of attack.

I looked at the Scum yesterday as they had an article on money saving measures, and some were aimed at those on benefits (as in helping them by advising them on what they might be entitled to). The Scum is one of the worst for going on about scroungers and strivers and claimants yet must have a readership including claimants!

I think there's little point trying to refute some of these with evidence - the right seriously do not give a fig for data and evidence. Makes me laugh because a rightwing friend posted something on fb yesterday saying there was no point trying to argue with the woke left because they didn't care about evidence and 'the silent majority' all agree with her. LOL. I didn't comment. I'm ignoring her posts unless it's a cat picture or 'happy birthday' or some such.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Appropriately, I just had an email from Verso Books:

https://www.versobooks.com/lists/5504-radicalize-your-niblings

Radicalize Your Niblings!
This year you call them family, next year call them comrade. 10 books for the young relatives!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WTF?!?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nurses-strikes-inflation-zahawi-putin-b2238518.html

quote:

Nurses must drop pay demands to ‘send clear message to Putin’, cabinet minister says
’This is a time to come together and to send a very clear message to Mr Putin that we’re not going to be divided in this way’

Nurses must drop pay demands to ‘send clear message to Putin’, cabinet minister says
’This is a time to come together and to send a very clear message to Mr Putin that we’re not going to be divided in this way’

Nurses and ambulance drivers should drop their demands for pay rises to match soaring inflation to “send a clear message” to Vladimir Putin, a cabinet minister says.

Nadhim Zahawi switched tack in the battle to avert pre-Christmas NHS strikes by claiming they would reveal a “divided” UK when a united front is needed over Russia’s “illegal war”.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I've coughed since childhood. I kept the whole estate up for a month coughing non-stop all night when I was about 14, let alone my sister with whom I shared a bedroom wanting to brain me (she got her own back a few years later when I was doing shift work and had to get up early and she would roll in from a night out and talk non-stop at me when I needed to sleep).

It's been particularly bad for the past couple of months (negative covid tests!) but for the last 10 days has been much better.
I'm concluding the chronic coughing is possibly reflux as it's worse when I lie down and even more worse if lie on my right side.
I have a deviated nasal septum (as have a lot of people) and think that also contributes in some way. (just read yours above - should have refreshed LOL)
Maybe your baby bent your nose a bit without breaking it? (Caveat: I am not a medical doctor!)

I got some cheapo cough med with guaifenesin in it that's really helped, and also omniprazole for occasional reflux (I get a box of 28 once a year from the GP and just take occasionally esp after pizza).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 4, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

.nm just noticed the photoshop

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Oxford English Dictionary has selected 'goblin mode' as it's word of the year.

But surely that is two words?

Word of the year? Why is this the first time I ever heard this word (phrase)?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just bought an Alto Recorder... i am currently making "NOISE" with it, the neighbours will not be amused. :yeshaha:

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went to a recorder recital and there were all sorts of weird and wonderful recorders including one that had a really big box. Can't find a picture online.

I always fancied a duduk but apparently the cheapo ones aren't very good but I don't want to pay a lot of money for what is potentially a fad.

Absolutely beautiful sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58AnhnbIgI

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The big box one is probably a Contrabass Recorder, the ones we all tried (and probably hated, like myself) in school were Soprano Recorders.

It's my xmas present (£23) to myself this year. :D

It was more like this but the box at the bottom was bigger.

sub-sub-great bass

Here we go - pretty similar to this one:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3goxO-G9SM

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I appreciate that this forum occasionally shows me a weird musical instrument that I was previously unaware of.

This forum is educative in many dimensions. I have also learned a lot (some of which I might be better off not knowing - ahem).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Woks and induction is funny, cos induction works on contact and woks are round. Except, most of the woks you can get in the UK are flat bottomed, for safety. Except the ones that aren't. But you do get induction hobs with a bit for a round bottomed wok, so basically it depends?

Round bottom woks they make the woking world go round

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I bought a book that's supposed to be Indian Violin Music For Amazingly White People but the more I looked into it the more I realized I would need an actual teacher because literally everything about it is completely different

I shall use this as an excuse to post a Bloodywood video even though they don't play Indian violins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKjSCTxke8

At least I know what one of the Indian languages for 'gently caress off traitor' is now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What an absolute bwanker

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1599672982757994497

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/dec/05/homelessness-charity-shelter-staff-start-unprecedented-two-week-strike

quote:

Homelessness charity Shelter’s staff start ‘unprecedented’ two-week strike
More than 600 staff set to walk out over pay, with Unite saying some workers worried about becoming homeless themselves

More than 600 workers at the housing and homelessness charity Shelter are beginning an “unprecedented” fortnight of strike action on Monday in a dispute over pay – coinciding with one of its busiest times of the year.

The Unite union said a 3% pay increase this year had left some of Shelter’s staff unable to pay their rent and very worried about the possibility of becoming homeless themselves.

Shelter said some of its services would be “temporarily impacted” during the strike, but added: “We are making every effort to continue to serve those in need of our help.”

The two weeks of strike action will see its staff join postal and rail employees and workers across a number of other sectors who are taking part in industrial action over pay in what has been called “the December of discontent”.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Waitrose has brought back the hand sanitizer station at the entrance.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

Thanks for the pointers regarding heating the house. I tried to google it and got some stuff about airflow and poo poo.

I forgot this was going to be a thing. I picked up a pack of eggs for the wife at the weekend but the expiration date is next week. I was planning on picking up a big box to last through Christmas this weekend but I'm guessing that might be a struggle.

Also cough chat. It turns out the x-ray showed a little fluid in the upper something or other in my chest, so the better doctor put me on some stronger antibiotics for the next week. There's a slight bubbling/creaking sound from my upper chest when I lie down so the fluid is what's causing that apparently.

Instructions were to take a double dose immediately and googling "fluid in lungs" brings back some scary-sounding poo poo about Pulmonary edema (which the doctor definitely didn't mention on the phone), so I dunno how serious it actually is.

I'm on his watch list, but I think that's more because he's going above and beyond compared to the other doctors in the practice rather than it being life-threatening or anything. I was gonna say I'm feeling better but just had a massive coughing fit as I typed this :/

Fingers crossed these different antibiotics do something cos I'm sick of feeling like this.

I wouldn't worry about dates on eggs, they last for ages in the fridge. I often use them weeks after the date (though I'm always careful to crack them open into a separate dish before adding them to anything just in case!)

Hope your chest gets better.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/dec/06/a-mess-up-worth-billions-energy-rivals-attack-bulb-octopus-deal

quote:

If rivals are successful, Bulb could be left in special administration again. Lawyers for Octopus have warned that if Bulb’s customers are not transferred before 31 December, Octopus “will lose its wholesale energy supply arrangements, with the result that it will not be able to ensure continuity of supplies for customers”.

ffs.
I don't know if this means for everyone with Octopus or just for potentially transferred Bulb customers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Just found out the local council in my home town in NI won't put on any christmas lights, tree or have a Santa appear in the town.
Which is a first for decades, they have done it since the 60s. Instead the local businesses are grouping together to do a mini version
Turns out there is no money for them, anyone elses local town having the same?

We've got the full works. Lights all down the main street (but I think the County Council does those, I might be wrong), Santa is organized by the Rotary Club and there's a large decorated tree in front of the main building. We have a couple of big (as in a lot of the town participates or spectates) Christmas themed events organized by the town council but neither cost a lot to do. Main thing is closing the road for about 3 hours or so for each occasion.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dolores sure gets about :

https://twitter.com/peterjf1966/status/1600135567676563456

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My bolding - because as we all know govt/big company reassurances are 100% reliable. Not.

[quote]
Ministers quietly announced in October it would begin collecting and processing personal information from people’s smart and traditional meters.

Experts say it sets a ‘dangerous precedent’ and will affect smart meter customers more because their devices contain more sensitive data.

When smart meters first arrived, some feared they would hold too much information on households as they track energy usage in real time.

Experts warn this could leave homes vulnerable to burglars if they managed to hack the gadget and work out from readings when nobody was in.

But customers were assured the data could only be viewed by their supplier.

The introduction of the Energy Bills Support Scheme and Energy Price Guarantee means that information will now be shared with the Government.

The first scheme gives customers £66 a month in winter to help with bills, while the guarantee, brought in by former prime minister Liz Truss, caps average energy bills at £2,500.

Ministers want to use meter data to help identify fraudsters, such as those who claim energy bills support on an unused second property, for example.

[quote]

source: heil/money/bills/article-11508569/Privacy-row-Governments-energy-support-scheme-data-sweep.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

On the assumption that kite flying moving BBC to all online is going to cause mega complaining once the hoipolloi get to hear about it, and working on the assumption that 'they' know that, what is the real 'phew they've done something less bad' move they really want to make?

In my block of flats only about 2 of 19 flats (including me) have internet. The TV is the main companion for several of the late 80/90 year olds in the block. So if it's not happening until 2030s that still means a lot of now - 70/80 somethings will be affected. And people in these age groups tend to watch a LOT of BBC.

If it's just BBC, presumably all the channels I usually watch will still be on the satellite (hoping freesat sticks around for years to come!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm weirdly warm.
Monday night I couldn't get warm for trying, jacked the heating right up and my living room was 25C. Last night I had the heating on but not as much. Today/tonight warm enough with no heating at all despite it being the coldest night so far (-1C expected to get down to -5C overnight) and my living room is at 19C.

Weird... or what?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The Torygraph is running a story how it's disgraceful that soldiers who are getting paid less than ambulance crews will be forced to cover them over Christmas because of the strikes, not realising that the response was going to be "well the government should pay the soldiers more as well".

It is impressive how badly the Tories are misreading the mood of the country at the moment.

Don't soldiers also get subsidized housing and meals too while they're working?

Ed:

quote:

The Armed Forces and families are able to live in high quality subsidised accommodation both in UK and overseas, either at or close to their place of work. This recognises the fact that personnel move frequently, often to remote parts of the country. The majority of Army personnel and families live in this type of housing.

https://www.army.mod.uk/people/live-well/housing/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 8, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there a list of charities that actually do good work and which ones don't? I'm kinda looking for a big change in jobs and considering applying for some places that work with homeless folk but I'd prefer not to work with a place that's super religious and uses that to judge people or be picky or whatever, which I feel is probably a few of them.

I definitely feel like I've heard bad things about a couple of the well known ones but I couldn't remember any specifics.

What are your parameters?
A charity that works local to you, one that is very 'hands on', or one that operates nationally?
Do you want to look into CEO salaries?
What sort of role do you want? Admin / Finance / Fund raising / Visiting with homeless / helping sort problems with local authorities etc

Top 100 CEO pay 2021:
https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2021-biggest-earners/management/article/1713966

(Top 50 in first table, scroll someway down to get next 50).

If you want to avoid the baddest stuff, maybe best not to pick a charity that operates internationally because a lot of the Bad Stuff relates to US not UK branches.

Charity search site here: https://www.charitychoice.co.uk/charities/housing

Here's the list of homeless sector https://www.charitychoice.co.uk/charities/housing/homeless

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 9, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Blasmeister posted:

Has he got a book coming out too?

Oh I forgot, wasn't Liz Truss' book due out about now?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

"following" leaves a lot of scope for interpretation.

Couple of examples - a colleague was walking home one evening after dark (winter - so it wasn't late) and a guy followed her, came right up behind her, and when she got home the back of her coat was covered in ejaculate.

Another time, I got mugged one evening. I had to come home again the same way the following evening en route from tube to my home and a guy decided it would be a good laugh to follow me - and it was deliberate. He's lucky he didn't die that night as I was so hyped (had been thrashing my leg with a rolled up newspaper for the entire tube ride I was so wound up).

There's also the complete disconnect some guys have with women: had a discussion maybe it was even on here a few years ago, many guys trying to do the right thing if going the same way as a woman late evening will WALK FAST up behind her (ie 'following') and overtake because they have the weird idea that makes her feel safer when in fact she is actually petrified and if possible will start crossing the street or walking faster. Some of the guys in the discussion were amazed to find that what they felt was helping was in fact terrifying.

There's 'going the same way' and 'following' and late evenings they don't feel much different to a woman (or men get followed too - a male friend with long hair was carrying a shoulder bag with LPs in it and got followed one evening - said it's the first time he had even an inkling of what it felt like).

Another time, I was walking along the road a few yards behind a black guy and I had the most terrible frog in my throat (something I have suffered from on and off over the years) and had to keep clearing my throat. He turned round and glared at me obviously thinking I was following him and making noises at him, but I wasn't! Just going the same way and having to clear my throat so I could breathe!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Spanish ad for J&B whisky.
Grandad tries makeup so he can welcome his trans grand-daughter for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOVVgEtuybk

Article about the ad and how they're trying to make it relevant to more rural areas, not just Madrid.

https://tekdeeps.com/the-jb-ad-in-which-a-grandfather-learns-to-put-on-makeup-to-receive-his-trans-granddaughter-for-christmas/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 11, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Voter ID card - get a PASS card (valid for voter id) for free using a code: FREEVOTERID

Copied this from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/zhwqas/citizencard_offering_free_id_cards_to_be_used_as/

quote:

Citizencard offering free ID Cards to be used as Voter ID at elections.
This is a bit of old news but if you do not already have ID you can vote with under the new Voter ID laws, pickup a citizencard ID for free. It is a PASS Card, which is one of the accepted forms of ID under the new law.

Currently, you can get a new ID for FREE with the code "FREEVOTERID". It is important to vote at the next GE and at any elections happening in your area, especially at such a time in Britain. Please go pick one up, it is literally free and you get it with no attached costs including no shipping cost if you order for it to be delivered within 3 weeks.

Go to:

https://www.citizencard.com/

and use the code "FREEVOTERID" to get it for free.

Ed: Apparently there is also something called a Voter Authority Certificate to be issued:

England
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/running-electoral-registration-england/voter-authority-certificates-and-anonymous-electors-documents

Wales
https://www.electoralcommission.org...y-certification

Scotland
https://www.electoralcommission.org...ty-certificates

(I understand Northern Ireland already has provision for Voter ID).

What will it look like

https://www.stroud.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/elections/voter-id/what-will-the-voter-authority-certificate-look-like

A4 piece of paper. That's never going to get lost, worn out, accidentally put through the washing machine isn't it!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I posted about the PASS (Citizen) card for voter ID on my fb last night. One of my tory-voting friends roughly my age commented that she knew nothing about it (requirement for voter ID) and the comment was basically along the lines that I was making it up :) God I hope the tories have shot themselves in the foot with this one (even if it's just old dears peddling up to the polling station without whatever photo ID they might have because they don't realize they need it).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Convex posted:

Tories are more likely to have a driving licence or passport in general though? It'll be an inconvenience but I can't see an election turning due to this, the measure is intentionally one designed to trip up people without the means to afford valid ID

I can tell you that in my block of flats where most of the occupants are over 80 years old (and mostly tory voters), very few of them have passport, driving licence, bus pass etc (not living in London, public transport is so dire, they don't use it if they have a car-driving adult child living nearby). They don't need them anymore and haven't bothered renewing them for years. We've had the devil of a game getting adequate ID proofs when signing up signatories to our management bank account.
And yes I do appreciate that the rules are designed to cut out those who are most likely not to vote tory but I think it's going to affect many more tory voters than the govt expects.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

First worthy gf to peg the prince gets the crown.... how difficult can it be? :shrug:

Isn't that like the original story of Cinderella? But it might just have been front slipper not back slipper.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there some big thing about Kate making it her life’s ambition to marry him before they ever even met because like all members of the upper classes she’s a power hungry nutter?

Isn't that why all those girls studying History of Art went to St Andrews Uni anyway - with a view to pegging nailing a prince?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dogatron posted:

gently caress off- she is not middle class at all. She is posh as you get. Wikipedia describe her as living in a 1 million flat with her sister prior to marrying the inbred german bastard.

In 2018, Catherine's total net worth was estimated at £5–7.3 million, most of which is from her parents' company- from wikipedia.

Money <> class in the upper echelons.
I think she is probably what we used to call 'nouveau riche' and would be looked down upon by the Upper Class.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Also I finally got covid :confuoot:

So goongrats to the super-avoiders who managed to outdo me

I haven't succumbed yet (still wear mask in shops and on crowded pavements). I do, however, have a bad cold - first one since The Before Times.
On the other hand it gave me an excuse to binge watch series 1 of Succession over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just watching this 2018 (in the Before Times) documentary on PBS America about the Spanish Flu (100 years anniversary) and how we will learn lessons from it... ahem.
One of the interviewees saying how weird it is seeing film from that time with everyone wearing masks.
Public hygiene plans aha aha.

They're most worried about Bird Flu in this doc.