Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Good luck with that winter! I'll be pulling for all you guys over here, sitting in my warm hydropower-heated house watching the snow fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

HopperUK posted:

Thanks comrade. I haven't felt warm all day but glad you're having a nice time.
I’m not having a nice time, but I am warm at the moment*.

*May not hold true in the event I get laid off.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

HopperUK posted:

Oh heck I hope that doesn't happen mate. Sorry I was snippy. I've got a monster headache.
No worries, I did come across as very unsympathetic there, having read it again. Things suck and it’s fun to point out the differences in the ways it sucks to be British or American working class. It’s like judging two fine whiskeys, and their notes of flavor (suffering).

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 1, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bloody Pom posted:

I can't remember which label it was but my dad brought back some peated whiskey from Scotland went he went over for his mum's funeral (she hated my mum and I's guts so we weren't inclined to go), and it was probably the most foul-tasting liquid I've ever put in my mouth. What exactly is the appeal, if there is one?
Drink more whiskey on a daily basis and you’ll see the appeal.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

forkboy84 posted:

Blasphemer.

I did enjoy when I got a friend to try it and he was like "this is like drinking an ashtray". Because I could 100% see where he was coming from.

TBH I think part of the reason I got into Laphroaig was just I wanted to try whisky and I recognised the name from the Rebus books. Worked out though.
Laphroaig used to be my favorite (not that I ever had much with the price), much like west coast IPAs used to be my favorite beers, but I've grown to like some of the more subtle highland, non-bourbon American (bourbon is still too sweet for me), and Japanese whiskeys a lot more. I don't dislike Islay or IPAs, but I'm not just like one note MAX PEAT/MAX BITTERNESS anymore.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 1, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/the-sins-of-the-father-the-emails

Basically her dad ran a chain of brothels and trafficked women and she knew all about it, but no one in the media ever mentions it.
Weird how stuff like that keeps happening.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

The eroticism of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and the new graphite pencil is turning the children into sexual deviants.
The Sorrows of Young Werther did actually cause a spate of suicides.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Everyone hates these fat-cat nurses.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Police investigating rape claims in England believe victim-blaming myths, study finds
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/20/police-investigating-claims-in-england-believe-victim-blaming-myths-study-finds

quote:

The damning year one report from Soteria Bluestone exposed persistent failings in the criminal justice system, including a failure to track repeat suspects, “explicit victim-blaming” and botched investigations. It found that among the victims potentially seen as not credible were “those who made repeat/multiple allegations, sex workers, those with mental health or substance abuse issues, intoxicated victims, victims who give ‘inconsistent’ or ‘incomplete’ accounts, and victims who may have lied in the past (in almost any area of their life)”.
:shepface:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

forkboy84 posted:

Dumbest thing about me: first DVD I ever bought was The Shining, more than 20 years ago.

I have still not actually watched The Shining
Goddamn, you should watch The Shining. The GOAT horror movie.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I thought BR2049 was pretty good, especially with the sound and visual design. Villanueve is a fantastic director, especially at capturing the right kind of atmosphere. I thought his Dune really struck it out of the park for the same reasons (very hard to put something like Dune to film).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://mobile.twitter.com/guardian/status/1630642826244440087
How in the everliving Christ is the BBC doing a Saville docudrama? Of all loving organizations. Coogan is an excellent casting choice, however.