Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The OP posted:

In Other News
• The snap NI election is postponed without a date

Anyone know what happened here exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

learnincurve posted:

Oh hey it turns out if you call DPD and tell them that if they let your shipment of dead rats defrost then they’ll get a box of maggots I’ll refuse to sign for then they magically can deliver it within 24 hours after all.

Someone must have googled the company name on the box and gone “oh poo poo this box really is full of dead rats”

Witness intimidation scheme coming along well I see

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mine went to 209 and I live in a badly insulated house from the 70s. How'd you get to that level?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brilladelphia posted:

Step one: have a poorly insulated electric-only house from the eighties and so have higher bills by default anyway
Step two: have your energy company forecast that you'll use four times as much electricity in the second half of the billing year as the first and adjust your direct debit accordingly

I was expecting our usage to about double over the winter, hoping that with a call I can get it down to a more reasonable (all things considered) level as what they've done is absurd, who can afford that?!

EDF has an option to reduce your DD on their site, look into that if you haven't already. You can select the option that your energy usage has changed or that you can't afford it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
strong 'please also blame the lib dems' energy here

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I really think the media have misjudged the public mood about these strikes. The reporting is still all "UNION BARONS HOLDING US HOSTAGE" and even the BBC seems completely ignorant of how unions work. But its easy to marginalise, e.g. train drivers, because hardly anyone knows a train driver or even spoken to one ever. There's about 20k train drivers in the UK, but there are over 500k nurses. Most people will know a nurse, and everyone has met a nurse in hospital or getting a vaccine etc. They're a lot more real in the minds of the public.

Agreed - almost everybody over 30 will have had a visit to a GP or hospital in the last year or so I would think, not to mention having family members in the hospital.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

Is anyone in the thread with EDF for their energy? I'm really confused about the last year with my energy bill not really following the trend and I don't know if I've somehow lucked out or if EDF is taking a different approach or what.

Before the energy crisis I used to pay £52 a month for my energy bills on the basic non-fixed plans. When the first major price rise came in, I got a bunch of offers to fix like most people but decided not to. A few months ago my Direct Debit got increased to about £78. Now I've just had an email from them advising that they want to increase my Direct Debit again...by £3.

Meanwhile all of my family members are getting hit by price increases and demands for their Direct Debits to go up by huge amounts, and I don't really understand why I'm not getting hosed over?

I'm with EDF, when our fixed tariff ran out early this year we moved onto their standard variable plan and our monthly DD went up to 173. They actually directly refunded us the government allowance thingie, and we are massively in credit which is probably why they only increased our DD now to 209. Looking at our smart meter we are using around 10 pounds per day for energy so I think on the whole we'll have some credit left over come spring unless it' l be a really cold winter.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Microplastics posted:

Oh I forgot to mention that the fake name he gave is pieced together from real names in his own name and his immediate family

Just have him claim it's his identical twin brother, who also lives at that address. No he can't come to the phone right now

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ground coriander seeds are the pro spice to put in your food

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I saw Glass Onion and am now 2/2 on movies that feature the Mona Lisa being burned, unless there are more beyond this and Equilibrium.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rarity posted:

My work's brought in a Competency Development Framework for our annual performance reviews and it is the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever seen. Instead of just looking at whether I'm good in my role and picking out some development ideas I instead have to grade myself against 7 separate attitudes like 'working collaboratively' or 'delivering capability' on a scale of 1-3 in a structure where the desired traits are often exactly the same across different grades then justify exactly why I picked those grades. It's such a load of horseshit, gently caress HR departments into the ground. Just inventing insane levels of bureaucracy because they need to feel like they're doing something

Honestly just write down why you're good at your role and tick the appropriate box, it's doubtful anyone is going to look at it very closely anyway.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Vice article:

https://archive.is/dKSqE

I don't even know what an encrypted phone is :corsair: and the only secrets hiding behind my calculator icon are a few square roots.

It's services like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncroChat
where the phones are pretty obviously meant to be used for planning your crimes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miftan posted:

Okay but I've lived in several other places and the UK is the only one that calls sprite lemonade.

Greece does too, and yes it's weird

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Give them some big boats, problem solved

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angrymog posted:

I know this is a bit, but some Jews use special lightswitches that don't always switch the light on so that they can turn the lights on during the Shabbat, because they're only asking for the light to be turned on, and it's up to the light if it turns on or not.

With God being omnipotent, surely this is the case for any lightswitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dead Goon posted:

I thought it was Keev, and we were wrong to pronounce it Keyev for all these years?

Keev Starmer