Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

it is possible for canada to finish ahead of belgium

Should be, but it needs a decent swing in goal difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chaoslord posted:

Alright. Let me start with this: Stéphanie Frappart is, objectively, in the top tier of referees in the world.

I really hope she does well. The internet is going to be an unbearable shitshow if she makes a big mistake.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Belgium might want to wake up and play some football

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oh dear.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oh dear.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yea that seems pretty stonewall.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It's either offside or it's not, why are they asking him to look at it?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So they have an automated offside system, but they asked Taylor to walk over and look at an offside? What the gently caress are they doing?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sanskrit Scat posted:

That was a total dive, no?

Nah, he absolutely stamps on his foot

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ok that graphic would have been better not shown lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Like what are you even trying to accomplish by showing this lmao

Reminder that the white shirt is judged to have been in front of the red shirt

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

they're doing their best but the refs and the Moroccan defenders are sabotaging Canada's effort to be the worst team

Really quite rude of them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

*clears throat*

Pookaku

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's genuinely incredible

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lol again

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TDepressionEarl posted:

i swear there was a year where the powers that be wanted to cut down on backpasses and that would have been a backpass that year

Would have been pretty absurd to call it one by today's standards at least. Absolutely no control.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Poo

Ka

Ku

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

blue squares posted:

Did all those leagues put their seasons on hold, as I assume they did? This WC must be causing havoc with scheduling and off-season lengths

Yep, it means the rest of the season is going to be compressed to an absolutely indefensible degree.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

How is this level of shite even possible?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lukaku should have had like 37 goals by now what's even going on

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

peanut- posted:

The ten minutes of injury time stuff has fallen off hard.

To be fair, most of the very long added times were due to actual injuries

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Germany griefing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So who actually made the on-field call that the Japanese 2-1 goal was out of play? The assistant ref is in a horrible position to see it, and also doesn't signal anything at all. The main ref definitely can't see it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

blue squares posted:

Nobody, because they called it in

Var called it in

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So has anyone suggested spain lost on purpose yet? Because that's a very fortunate bracket

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chaoslord posted:

The AR would have had to make that call, would not have been the center ref. TV was saying AR put the flag up, but I never saw a replay showing that. That said, the AR only moved like, one yard up the touchline after the goal, so they were talking through comms about the play and I guess the AR said it went over the line.

Is this the first time VAR eliminated a team in the group stages like that? I dont remember it happening in 2018

I've looked at the replay many times and the AR very deliberately holds his flag down the entire time. He was also in an absolutely awful position to see it. Like, how can you call that out from here:

He's like 30 yards away and there's at least one player and a post obstructing his view. And as I said, at no point does he raise his flag. Are you not required to raise your flag and can just call it over the mic?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

For the record I think the ball was in, I think the on-field decision was that the ball was in and I think VAR confirmed that the ball was in. I'm just trying to figure out why the commentators are furiously going on about the on-field decision being it was out, and this is a scandal/controversy or whatever.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chaoslord posted:

I don't see any replay showing the flag going up so I'm just trying to work backwards here from what I do know. On a good goal, the AR would move up the field to confirm to the referee that he has a goal. In this instance, he takes like one, maybe two steps, and then stops dead. That tells me him and the center are having a conversation on the comms. I don't believe the center would make that call. The goal line is the ARs and the AR, albeit screened like you said, has the best chance of anyone on the field to see it. I don't know what the conversation on the field was but it was a quick one and then the referee blew for the ball out of play. I could be wrong and maybe the conversation was something like "I think it might have been out" "Are you sure?" "I'm not" "Ok well I'll call it out". It's hard for me to really see the world where the Center tells the AR "lets just go goal kick", but, the AR doesn't look sure so maybe that is what happened? I thought the TV Commentator said the flag went up but I have yet to find a replay to confirm that. The AR definitely should not be communicating decisions over the Comms only - if it was his call he needed to put the flag up at some point. I'm not sure if he did or not, which is obviously bad. But the AR definitely Had Questions about what he just saw based on his reaction.

I believe that the referee blew for the ball out of play as the call on the field based on the reaction of the players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWrVyyd3U4

Ball is in the net at 2:31. Player runs off to celebrate. While he's running off, the referee turns to face the AR and then, rather than point to the center circle, looks to me to be moving the whistle to his mouth. The camera cuts and you see the Japanese player celebrating and then he stops celebrating and looks back at the referee. One of the substitutes gives the "what???" shrug. The substitutes that had ran down the touchline to start celebrating then start moving quickly back to the bench and the field players for Japan start moving back up field fast rather than coming over to celebrate. The referee then gives the "stop" motion in the direction of the goalkeeper. All of that, to me, reads as the referee blew for a goal kick, the Japanese players began retreating to get back quickly, and then the referee held up play for VAR to check. I think if he had given it as a goal on the field we wouldn't have seen the celebration stop dead like it did and the players not involved start to move as they did.

Here the Japanese players are upset about the decision and the AR still definitely has his flag down. As you I've watched every replay I can find and I have still not seen one where the flag goes up.

I also can't find one where I see the centre signalling for a goal kick, all I can find is one where he holds a hand to his ear, blows his whistle and gives the "hold up, give me second" hand signal.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Also begging football fans to learn about Parallax

What about spheres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Clearly out, seems entirely fine to me.