Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

"Ring out you're dead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I DON'T MAKE IT A HABIT TO FIGHT..THE ELDERLY!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

beep by grandpa posted:

I DON'T MAKE IT A HABIT TO FIGHT..THE ELDERLY!

WHAT A KNUCKLEHEAD

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just thought these were funny

https://twitter.com/Honeyimfine/status/1603145506166824962?t=

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I want to post this in-line in the thread in a bit but it takes a while to get it formatted so I'll do it later.

Here it is on Substack:
The Rizin vs. Bellator preview, where I collaborated with CarlCX and Lobster Mobster to co-promote a preview of a co-promoted MMA show
https://bocot.substack.com/p/sbc-shonan-beauty-clinic-presents-3c2

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Thanks to Carl and Boco for the Rizin preview. It was a lot of fun!

Speaking of Rizin, they did a MC Battle last night, but I don't think any of the fighters participated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzH1IMXcgkw

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

If you're wondering what Donald Cerrone is doing in retirement the answer is a poo poo ton of steroids

https://www.mmanews.com/2022/12/donald-cerrone-steroids/?fbclid=IwAR36DrVGHr5V7-j4BiWNOMzKBuELoakD37Bk8sJyKfIaIURDeGHO1fsjmeM

https://twitter.com/MMAaholics/status/1606503721336467458

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They should invent a steroid that gives you head movement

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
Nice angle of the Gane vs Tuivasa finish.

https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1608388289270276098

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Christ, he's like the Grinch but his head grew three sizes that day. I get taking steroids, but why the ones that make your head huge and gross?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Good news. Jose "Pele" Landi-Johns is still alive

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Christ, he's like the Grinch but his head grew three sizes that day. I get taking steroids, but why the ones that make your head huge and gross?
Steroids grow muscles a normal person doesn’t train. The unnatural facial features and weird ribcage have always been the easiest ways to tell among the people I used to compete against.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Is that Bellator/Rizin card on live or do we have to wait for the SHO tape delay?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'll be live on FiteTV with a VPN from what I saw Grabaka_Hitman say. Other than that, Showtime does a tape delay.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Uh oh did Stylebender also go after a teenage climate change activist for no reason

https://twitter.com/stylebender/status/1608662947714453504?t

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

kensei posted:

Is that Bellator/Rizin card on live or do we have to wait for the SHO tape delay?
If you are in a country such as India or France you can pay $20 on fite.tv to watch the entire show live including the 5 fights that are airing on tape delay on Showtime.

US $15 Fite PPV cuts off before the 5 Bellator fights.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

beep by grandpa posted:

Uh oh did Stylebender also go after a teenage climate change activist for no reason

Jake Shields did too

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So how long has this been a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3rRK6TbAcw

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

According to the video description that's the first event.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Kelvin got pulled up pretty quick for Tate support
https://twitter.com/DesmondMMA/status/1608648580163866626

Aljo spent some energy distancing himself in October and now again
https://twitter.com/kerching68/status/1608663954661969920

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i have 0 stats to support this but i feel like if the fighters got paid what they should this stuff where various unsavoury rich characters use them as masculinity props would be less of an issue, or at least you'd find out which of the fighters only did it for money and free stuff, and which ones like shields have become brain warped demons.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lid posted:

Jake Shields did too

he's speed running the 'they're trying to cancel me' fame train to the pedophile reveal, it won't be long til he shows his rear end and gets disowned

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eh, while some money is almost certainly being funneled from kadyrov via ali to the fighters that go over there, I doubt that's the case with tate brothers or other such "celebrities" that fighters end up hanging out with, though to be clear I'm purely speculating.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's impossible to know (though given how calculated and scummy these tate-type scams are, i wouldn't be surprised) but even if there's no money/cars/whatever directly changing hands you have to figure that a lot of the fighters want to tie their stock to the guy who's (pretending to be?) mega rich and has ten million teenage boys and man children worshipping him.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't get that at all from that tweet, what am I missing?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Didn't Izzy get arrested at an airport for trying to bring brass knuckles on a plane this year? I presume that's what this is from.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

Didn't Izzy get arrested at an airport for trying to bring brass knuckles on a plane this year? I presume that's what this is from.

It was that. A fan in NYC gave him a pair after they took a photo etc, he tossed it into his carry on not realizing its a big no no to have them in New York and was caught at the airport.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

The only offensive thing about Izzy's tweet is him trying to compare himself to Pete Weber. The bowling GOAT is way more of a badass than Stylebender could ever hope to be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mekchu posted:

It was that.

And not some elliptical support of Tate, right? Which i think was Freudian slippers’ question.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Second call to read the Rizin x Bellator preview by myself, Lobster Mobster, and CarlCX:
https://bocot.substack.com/p/sbc-shonan-beauty-clinic-presents-3c2

Show starts in 8 hours. People in Canada can watch the entire thing (including the Bellator fights) for $20

Also, I spent an hour nailing down the SHOOT BOXING rules so that I could start following it and posting about it, it's a cool sport with cool rules and I think it would be popular but only tiny Japanese guys do it.

Shoot Boxing
Rules: Fights are 3 or 5 3-minute rounds. Punches, kicks, elbows, and knees are legal. Additionally, fighters are allowed to execute throws, chokes, and joint submissions provided the only part of their body touching the canvas is their feet. This means that fights can end via submission (rarely) and that there is a scoring component for throws (Shoot Point) and near-submissions (Catch Point).

Scoring: Round scores can go from 10-10 even as far as 10-6 in either direction. The score is translated to 10-point-must after scoring with the following events:
- 1 point: Forward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (Shoot Point)
- 1 point: Near-submission with a referee “Catch” call (Catch Point)
- 2 points: Backward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (i.e. a German suplex)
- 2 points: Knockdown due to a strike
- 3 points: Forward throw that leads to a knockdown (opponent can’t get up immediately and must take an 8-count)
- 4 points: Backward throw that leads to a knockdown
- 1 point: General advantage in the round (i.e. the way you’d score a boxing or kickboxing fight a 10-9, gets superseded by strike knockdown)
- Standard point deductions for fouls can be included

After the round they tally up all the points if there are multiple events and convert that to 10-point-must and record it.
Examples:
- Fighter A scores a backward throw (2), Fighter B scores a catch (1), round is scored 10-9 for Fighter A
- Fighter A gets a knockdown (2) and a forward throw (1), round is scored 10-7 for Fighter A
- There are no scoring events and neither fighter has a significant advantage in striking, round is scored 10-10

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Also, I spent an hour nailing down the SHOOT BOXING rules so that I could start following it and posting about it, it's a cool sport with cool rules and I think it would be popular but only tiny Japanese guys do it.

Shoot Boxing
Rules: Fights are 3 or 5 3-minute rounds. Punches, kicks, elbows, and knees are legal. Additionally, fighters are allowed to execute throws, chokes, and joint submissions provided the only part of their body touching the canvas is their feet. This means that fights can end via submission (rarely) and that there is a scoring component for throws (Shoot Point) and near-submissions (Catch Point).

Scoring: Round scores can go from 10-10 even as far as 10-6 in either direction. The score is translated to 10-point-must after scoring with the following events:
- 1 point: Forward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (Shoot Point)
- 1 point: Near-submission with a referee “Catch” call (Catch Point)
- 2 points: Backward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (i.e. a German suplex)
- 2 points: Knockdown due to a strike
- 3 points: Forward throw that leads to a knockdown (opponent can’t get up immediately and must take an 8-count)
- 4 points: Backward throw that leads to a knockdown
- 1 point: General advantage in the round (i.e. the way you’d score a boxing or kickboxing fight a 10-9, gets superseded by strike knockdown)
- Standard point deductions for fouls can be included

Interesting ruleset. Particularly in that it seems heavily biased towards throws and submissions. Anyone who's versed there would be well served to try to smother their opponent and keep going for grappling attacks, since those score so much more than the 1 point of normal winning a round. In other words, if you get on the board with a couple throws, then it's effectively open scoring -- you know who's going to win the round based on how far ahead they are with throws.

Definitely makes me me want to think harder on how it compares to sanshou -- no knees or elbows (usually), no subs, all standing throws allowed.
You get 1 point for a throw where you land on top of your opponent, 2 points for where you're still standing.
1 point for a punch or kick landing cleanly, 2 points for a head kick.
(there's also ring outs on the platform using TKO like rules -- 2 push outs a round is sudden victory, or 3 total)
The sport seems to be a mix of people who can put together very clean throwing games, people who can point fight, or a small portion of people who have KO power.

The thing I stress a lot when I teach sanshou is that the throwing game is very different when you have boxing gloves on. You can do some kick catch sweeps where you have their foot/leg scooped in your hand, but otherwise, you are working with underhooks/overhooks, or 2-on-1 on a limb. e: there's also some emphasis on gripping at the elbow or tricep
That makes the repertoire of throws look downright simplistic compared to even nogi.
Double leg is legal (have to modify so you don't drag your lead knee on entry, and don't land on your hands/forearms) but potentially less worth it than MMA because you have the same risk of getting kneed and you don't end up in a better position at the end -- you score well, but get stood back up.
An RNC is possible but you have to be very clean to do it with boxing gloves on.

And now that I'm on this ramble, here's a video of some sanshou throws I just ran into that I was gonna dig through for class. Most I would say are too fancy and work best if your opponent is fully committed to their strike, which sanshou people rarely are because of the threat of catch counters.
https://i.imgur.com/2Q1mpRL.mp4
As I tell my students who ask about MMA applications -- getting a clean throw may or may not be how you wanna work your MMA game. It's preferable if you wanna keep it standing, but a lot of the throws don't have easy variations that let you follow the throwee to the ground.

Before K-1, Andy Souwer was a Shootboxer. He was pretty good in what I saw -- definitely comfortable with the ruleset and had a serviceable grappling game. Given the more frequent breaks in action from successful or unsuccessful throws, you really couldn't tell that he had the tools to be an elite level kickboxer.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 30, 2022

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm not 100% confident I won't find out months from now that something I have there is wrong, because all the information is only in Japanese. But I was also surprised that a single clean throw is basically the same as winning a round. It's crazier to me that sanshou counts a throw the same as a clean strike. Like, is a clean jab worth a full point? That makes your "point fighters" thing make sense, that's such a heavy weighting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

It's crazier to me that sanshou counts a throw the same as a clean strike. Like, is a clean jab worth a full point? That makes your "point fighters" thing make sense, that's such a heavy weighting.

Two points on this --
1) it's definitely by design to encourage throws. I'm ok with the ruleset determining the look/feel of the sport, and the way to do that is to heavily encourage throws. A lot of strikes won't score, and you can't know for sure til the end of the round, but after each throw, the ref tells the judges how to score it.
2) yes, any clean scoring strike is counted the same. Those chest guards are to help provide some visual contrast and audio cues that a strike has landed. The 3 (or 5 for international competition) judges sit around the platform with clickers in hand for each contestant, clicking in points as they watch the match. At the worlds level, the clickers are digitized to the video stream so you can see who's ahead on points that way.
e: in my limited competition experience, there's quite a lot of variation by judges on whether strikes land or not. Understandable, given their different viewing angles on the action. I remember getting pretty split scoring in some of my rounds, like winning solidly with one judge and losing solidly with 2 others.

In sanshou, Muslim Salikov was a good striker with a fight-changing level of power, btw. Even if you don't get a TKO point score, you still benefit from your opponent being rocked.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2022

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
New Year's Eve GDT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020834

everyone put on your fundoshi and pound on a taiko

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1609043722972323840

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

And not some elliptical support of Tate, right? Which i think was Freudian slippers’ question.

He maybe said something about Tate but nothing ever really made the big news rounds AFAIK. Tate fought in some C tier Euro org started by the guy who helped start "It's Showtime" before that collapsed and was bought out, so maybe he knew of him but they weren't the same weight class or anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BRASILWIRE/status/1609237214768021504

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't harbour nazi trump wannabes Aldo ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU