Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im bettin 3 days on lawler beating ponzinibbio who wants me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

vacant has more successful title defenses than carla esparza

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brut posted:

Glover getting that title shot is what should have happened in the first place, so at least we're getting that now.
nope

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

So a) this kept bugging me and b) I'm having kind of a dissociative day and wanted to dive into an afternoon data project. This also means this is going to be long, dry and effortposty, so feel free to scroll.

I bitch about the flyweight division and its mistreatment constantly, but I've never done/have never seen anyone do the actual comparative analysis of how it's been treated. So I went back to the pay-per-view at which the flyweight championship was inaugurated, UFC 152: Jones vs Belfort on September 22, 2012, and starting that night collated every single main event the UFC has put on for the decade-ish of the flyweight division's history to see how many main events each division has gotten.

The rough results:
  • HEAVYWEIGHT: 67
  • LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT: 57
  • MIDDLEWEIGHT: 63
  • WELTERWEIGHT: 62
  • LIGHTWEIGHT: 47
  • FEATHERWEIGHT: 45
  • BANTAMWEIGHT: 22
  • WOMEN'S FEATHERWEIGHT: (est. 2/11/2017): 6*
  • WOMEN'S BANTAMWEIGHT (est. 2/23/2013): 17
  • WOMEN'S FLYWEIGHT (est. 12/1/2017): 5
  • WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT (est. 12/12/2014): 13
(the * for women's featherweight is because the first WFW bouts in the UFC were held at 140 pound catchweights because the UFC was still trying to convince Cyborg to fight at 135 and didn't actually give up until 2017, so if you don't want to count those, it's 5)
  • FLYWEIGHT: 16
So, okay, it's the lowest of the men's divisions, which sucks but I guess is to be expected, but it's not THAT much lower, right? Here's the fun part:
  • UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Benavidez 2, 12/14/2013 - Supposed to be Anthony Pettis vs TJ Grant, Grant gets injured, supposed to be Pettis vs Josh Thomson, Pettis gets injured four weeks out, Johnson/Benavidez gets promoted to main
  • UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso, 9/27/2014 - Supposed to be Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson 2, Gus gets injured, supposed to be Jones vs Daniel Cormier, Jones gets injured five weeks out, Johnson and Cariaso get moved from the co-main event of UFC 177 to the main event of 178
  • UFC 186: Johnson vs Horiguchi, 4/25/2015 - Supposed to be T.J. Dillashaw vs Renan Barao 2, Dillashaw gets injured four weeks out, Johnson and Horiguchi get promoted to main
  • UFC 191: Johnson vs Dodson 2, 9/5/2015 - Supposed to be Daniel Cormier vs Alexander Gustafsson, fight gets rescheduled for UFC 192, Johnson and Dodson get pushed up from co-main
  • UFC Fight Night: Holohan vs Smolka, 10/24/105 - This may shock you but Paddy Holohan and Louis Smolka were not supposed to headline a card, this was supposed to be Dustin Poirier vs Joe Duffy, Duffy got concussed in training 72 hours before the card and Holohan and Smolka got pushed up from co-main
  • UFC 256: Figueiredo vs Moreno, 12/12/2020 - Supposed to be Kamaru Usman vs Gilbert Burns, Usman pulled out over injuries, then supposed to be Amanda Nunes vs Megan Anderson, Nunes pulled out over injuries, then supposed to be Petr Yan vs Aljamain Sterling, visa and travel issues kept Yan from making the trip, so despite having just fought three weeks prior Figueiredo was tapped to last-minute main event against Moreno
The UFC has promoted 400+ events in the decade since inaugurating the flyweight championship, and they've only intentionally booked a flyweight main event ten times. There are only two divisions in the UFC with less main events than flyweight, and they've both been around for half as long and one of them has never had more than 6 fighters on its roster.

But people just don't like flyweights, for some loving reason.
i like flyweights

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the heart of a real champion would not accept a false title, it is bushido. he should wait for jiri.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the funny result would be jamahal hill missing weight and beating glover leading to vacant earning two successful title defenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

It's time for everyone's favorite holiday tradition: The second annual "there's no UFC for a month so aside from NYE we ain't got poo poo going on" end of the year community feedback loop.

2022 was a weird loving year, we've tried a number of experiments and I wanted to see how people felt about them/if we should do poo poo differently going into 2023. So, for anyone who cares between now and January 1st, the suggestion box is open. There are a few specific questions:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Last year's big change was combining the threads. Twelve months later, y'all still good with this or should we split them back up?

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: This summer we started doing catch-all GDTs when weeks or weekends had events across multiple promotions. Has that been working for people, or should we go back to separate GDTs?

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: At the start of the year my breakdowns were ~2500 words and OPs had maybe two or three line items, and both have gradually expanded. Have we reached a point where the length of OPs and writeups is more annoying than interesting?

HIDDEN STEAM GIVEAWAYS: This one isn't really feedback, I think it's been at least half a year since anyone bothered with these and I'm putting them out of their misery starting in January, so if you already care enough to be putting in communal feedback in the first place let me know if you want a dumb video game as a last hurrah

and, finally

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: This is where everything else goes. All general feedback, ideas, requests, thoughts and confessions of vicious forum grudges are welcome.

Congratulations on surviving 2022, thank you for your posting, and everyone who doesn't stay up until seven AM PST watching JMMA for New Year's Eve isn't a real MMA fan.

i like all the feds lumped into one thread

specific cards i prefer each to have their own thread

your thread ops could be longer

i do not use steam

im good