Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Check out this new tweet about TJ!

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1599919999581245440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

blue footed boobie posted:

TJ Dillashaw seemed destined to be a poster boy for why it’s bad to be the guy who ignores bodily trauma to be *tough* ever since the Cejudo fight. Regardless of how you feel about the guy, going into a fight with a shoulder that’s slipping out of the socket and then fighting with an arm dangling uselessly by your hip so you can get pounded is just the dumbest idea*

*unless he was literally going for one last payday and the chance to get his shoulder surgery paid for by the UFC

UFC fighters have to do this because if they pull out of the fight due to injury, there is no guarantee they ever get that title shot ever again. In addition, fighters have to pay for their fight camps even if the fight doesn't take place.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Keptbroom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dC8ulPXDE

Helwani talking about Dana and Paddy for over an hour

This isn't the cursed videos thread

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Brut posted:

Do not post this kind of poo poo.

drat I missed it, what kind of poo poo should we not post? I already know all of the rules, but I'm asking for a friend.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Totally random post:

This movie just popped up in my youtube, I had never heard of it before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp88Nuci68c

boxing guy goes to jail in Thailand, learns kick boxing, etc. etc.
Thought I'd share.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

JOHN CENA posted:

the heart of a real champion would not accept a false title, it is bushido. he should wait for jiri.

Jon Jones is holding the true belt anyway, all these other lhw title fights are pretenders.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Frank's was called middleweight :-P

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Most of the major mma media people work for organizations, they don't work for themselves. For example, if Luke and Brian from Morning Kombat have a crazy exclusive interview with Conor McGregor, and it blows up and gets 10 million views, Luke and Brian don't get paid for each additional click. They have a set contract. They would like to have high ratings when it comes down to renegotiate their contracts, but having that one crazy video with Conor isn't going to have any meaningful impact on their negotiations.

-----------------------------------------------

There also needs to be a distinction... most of these people are "MMA media" they are not journalists.

Chuck Mindenhall tracking down a fighter from Ultimate Fighter 1, and writing an article about him "IN SEARCH OF STRANGE BREW...".
THAT'S journalism.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

Being a talking head on a youtube channel, giving your opinion on the scoring of Paddy vs Gordon, and then talking about who Paddy should fight next. That's MMA media.

If a fighter has a large enough fan base to make an impact on the viewers of a MMA media show, they should be paid. But those same fighters should also want as much exposure as possible to grow their fan base even more, and should be willing to do interviews for free.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Stephen A Smith isn't a journalist. Appearing on his show boosts YOUR profile. Its an entertainment show.

I think we need to be clear about what we are talking about.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

One, Bellator, UFC should pay so that the podcast talks about their promotions!!

I don't listen to podcasts for commercials, but sometimes I will listen to a podcast that talks about the UFC!!!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

New Mir v Todd Duffee .jpg

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I forget where the original high quality image is at

elite level striking

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Conor has been officially taken off the UFC ranking

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS:
Love it.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS:
Love it.

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT:
I don't read them, but I get the impression that the majority of posters love it.

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING:
Company had mass lay offs right before Thanksgiving, bad time to work in the mortgage industry. So now I'm unemployed for the holidays. :lol: I work in banking/finance compliance (5-10 years experience). I'm in California Bay Area and am struggling to find a job at even 75% of the median income range for this area. I should have learned to code. Thinking about moving out of the country. So frustrated.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Here's some depressing news:
https://combatsportslaw.com/2022/12/18/study-41-of-retired-fighters-likely-have-cte-the-more-bouts-the-higher-the-risk/

quote:

Results 176 participants (110 boxers and 66 MMA) were included in the analysis. 72 (41%)/176 were categorised as having Traumatic Encephalopathy Syndrome (“TES” which are the criterial for when someone is suspected to have CTE while alive since a formal diagnosis cannot be made until death), the likelihood of TES increasing with age. TES+ participants tended to be boxers, started fighting at a younger age, had more professional fights and knocked out more frequently.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

blue footed boobie posted:

I like the crazy long write ups, but can we get a ban on quoting them in full? Reading this thread involves so much scrolling I feel like I miss content.

A 24 hour probation would be good enough, because then the poster won't be able to participate in the GDT until after it happened. And I agree, even if someone just quotes half of it, that is a ton of scrolling.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Discord is free, just saying

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/NateRockQuarry/status/1606882358057390081

:lol: :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Pocket Billiards posted:

What were his recent issues? Alcoholism?

Other than the issue with the hospital over Covid/staph infection.

He's been addicted to opiates for years (decades?)