Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I feel like even a diminished McGregor can put his left on Chandler at will.

He probably can. But also, since Chandler has more than a round and a half of gas, Conor might need a back up plan.

I think Conor's main problem as a fighter is he bought his own hype. There's that often repeated line that he only needs one or some variation. That's only been true once in his UFC career and it was his timing and accuracy against Aldo, not just straight power. The rest of the time it's an accumulation. I have no doubt he hits hard, but he doesn't have magic one punch knockout power most of the time. When he hurt Dustin in the second and third fights, he was flat footed and unable to follow up. He just stood there, waiting, sure that if he hit him once he'd go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/shaunalshatti/status/1601829796190617600

The best promoter in mixed martial arts, everyone.

please remember that he also described their gigantic horse muscles knockout machine inspiring story having heavyweight champ as not a draw.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Sort of like when Rose went "I'M THE loving BEST" in her rematch with Carla which she very clearly lost a boring lovely fight.

At least Rose has the excuse of being a deeply traumatised person who had to grow up in Milwaukee.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Its impressive that 'losing every minute of his fight until he got the knockout against a guy who was brought in to lose to him' didn't take the shine off but being mean to Ariel Helwani did. Some real 'got Al Capone for tax evasion' stuff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm not linking, but apparently Jake Shields went to Mike Jackson's gym and attacked him before going on to boast about it on social media because he's a loving idiot and is just leaning into the chud thing now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

It's hard not to feel grossed out by the reminder that we have a bad niche within a bad niche. The internet's MMA communities tend to be various shades between 'gross' and 'this needs to be on a watchlist' and that's open, non-anonymous places; the anonymous ones are basically like submerging yourself in a lake of bile except the bile is on fire and also racist.

It's why I wanted to do the threads here in the first place. This is a nice god damned MMA community and those essentially don't exist.

Also the general quality of discussion here is light years ahead of anywhere else. Every other place I've even tried to discuss the sport is like 100 people all doing dumb gimmicks except none of them are actually gimmicks. Someone here was doing a bit insisting that Conor was going to beat Floyd and then simply kept going as if he had beaten him. Imagine 100 people doing that sincerely and that's Sherdog or The MMA Underground or Twitter or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jesus that loving sucks. I'll always remember his two bonkers, bloody but also weirdly good natured fights with Krystof Soszynski.

But yeah, he was an unintentional gatekeeper. Like someone above said, he fought and lost to fully four people who would go on to hold the belt (Evans, Griffin, Machida and Jones) and three who had held it (Ortiz, Coleman and Silva). Not a single one of those was a main event or anywhere near the peak of those guys careers, aside from Silva, who crushed him effortlessly. There's a Tom Waits song esque quality to his career. He wasn't even the bridesmaid, he was a stand in at a wedding rehearsal. Yet the sport is absolutely built on him in a very specific way and guys like him in a more general way and I wish he'd gotten a little more recognition. Hope he finds the peace that he didn't find here.