Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Richardson is just not a QB, full stop. He's a big fast guy, idk make him a TE or something.

Between Young, Stroud, Levis, and Hooker I don't know that any of them are inspiring but I think I'd roll the dice on Levis. He's got the tools, he's performed well at times, and I'm going to convince myself that he didn't look better bc Kentucky went through 3 different OCs in his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^ yep, that makes sense. for the bucs tho, assuming they look at QBs, id rather roll the dice on Levis over stroud but i don't think either will be available by the time they pick anyway

Alaois posted:

people say this every year about next year's QB class to make themselves feel like their team has a chance

next year has Caleb Williams who might at least be a clear cut #1 overall guy bc he's in the same realm of quality as bryce young while being over 6ft and weighing ~215lbs

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

Tier 1 of the QB prospects effort post.

it blows my mind that anyone is genuinely considering richardson as anything other than a TE conversion or the new Taysom Hill. He's had multiple good offensive coaches, years to learn the basics and he's the worst throwing QB in the SEC somehow. if he was from some no name school, never had much coaching and only played a year then maybe take a flier in the 2nd but the dude's had a lot of time and chances to improve and he's shown jack poo poo. it would be the most miraculous development job of all time to turn him into a solid NFL qb

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

This is basically my fear. Part of why I think Allen got so much better is because he just didn’t have the coaching and development guys usually get these days before the league. No elite 11 or private QB coach, no NCAA program that got him big viability with big reps, no high school or JuCo exposure that blew him up or gave meaningful competition. The first time someone actually worked on mechanics or more complicated reads in a meaningful way that was on par with his tools was the league. He was untapped in the sense that he literally hadn’t been taught this poo poo. Mahomes just had to be retaught pocket work that TTU beat out of him to fix his feet a bit while also building an offense that could allow him to maximize the throes no one else can make. Herbert had to be put in an offense that could just allow him to go off feel and vision and not predetermined reads that a receiver could run badly with no hot routes.

Richardson played for a known QB guy, comes from the prep pipeline, and still just didn’t even try to fix things this year. His arm talent and movement is so absurd that you almost feel obligated to try. He couldn’t run Mullen’s offense from structure. He couldn’t pass for touchdowns consistently. There’s so many red flags, but the raw ability is so enticing that he’s going in the first 2 rounds for sure, and I at least can’t say that’s explicitly wrong with how the teams value things now (though I sure like the other 3 guys all more)

Yeah if nothing works he’s a conversion project like Pryor, but holy poo poo if you get the impression from interviews and your coaches you can develop him I get it. I don’t want to take the ride myself, but I understand people trying to follow the trend.

i welcome some team that is not mine or one i care about to give it a shot but god do i not want teams i like to put meaningful draft capital into richardson.

honestly assuming the bucs even had their pick i have no idea who i'd take. Levis maybe? ugh. Bryce Young is the best but god he's going to get murdered in the nfl. he already takes brutal hits in college

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

kiimo posted:

Yeah you gently caress around and you find out *rifles ball to your feet*

tua's more of a

*floats a ball, dandelion in the wind style, that lands gently on your face*

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

Here comes the single lengthiest post I have ever made here. Some early house rules

Format for section (Subjective/Objective/Dog score) - Snake

Trevor Lawrence (9.5; 7.93; 7) - Cleanest or least objectionable prospect in 6 years. Will go as far as his footwork takes him. The Burmese Python where he is broadly adaptable to Florida and immediately became a mascot for part of Florida.

Kyler Murray (9; 7.50; 6.5) - Undersized but similarly unobjectionable to Lawrence. The Borneo Blood Python for being active mainly at night or when trying to escape.

Justin Fields (9; 7.43; 7.5) - The guy overshadowed by Lawrence but who was essentially just as capable. The Red Tailed Boa who gets overshadowed by the Burmese Python but otherwise would get the headlines for invading a habitat.

Joe Burrow (9; 7.43; 10) - The anti-tools guy who just gets the ball where it’s supposed to be. California Mountain Kingsnake where he’s incredibly dangerous to the other snakes because he can take hits and outlast them.

CJ Stroud (8.5; 7.14; 4) - Elite pocket guy in rhythm who has weird vibes at times and sometimes misses obvious threats. The Coachwhip Snake—known for constricting blood flow to improve eyesight when threatened but otherwise coasting in life.

Arm Strength
Two dimensions here: Air (raw distance and height) and Velocity (speed to a point)

Air
10: Mahomes, Allen, Herbert
9.5: Eason, Levis
9.0: Richardson, Lock, Love
8.5: Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Haskins
8.0: Stroud, Rosen, Darnold, Ridder, Hall, Kizer, Mills, Trubisky, Willis, Hooker, Strong

Velocity
10: Mahomes, Allen, Richardson
9.5: Eason, Levis, Lock, Herbert
9.0: Lawrence, Fields
8.5: Lance, Haskins, Rosen
8.0: Love, Stroud, Kizer, Trubisky, Willis, Mond, Wilson, D Jones

Accuracy
Two dimensions here, ball placement and timing. The distributions/grades on this are tighter and less generous because of just how rare elite accuracy really is in college because you’re just not punished for it the same way.

Placement
8.5 Burrow
8.0: Lawrence, Stroud, Murray
7.5: Young, Mayfield, Tua

Timing
8.0: Burrow
7.5: Lawrence, Young
7.0: Stroud, Murray, Mayfield, Tua, Rosen, M Jones, Trask, Haskins, Watson, Grier

this is the most intrigued ive been by stroud so far. his accuracy is that good huh?

(great post btw, thank you for the writeup)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wait Stroud has a Russell Wilson-esque religious obsession?

...hard pass for me on that one.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

lol did he finally realize there's very little receiver depth in this class?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

Okay Hooker has nowhere near the mechanical issues that Tebow had (in fact, they're pretty good). His real knock is his age. He's got a great arm and is very accurate downfield.

besides being old, having a hosed up knee, and being sort of injury prone the other knocks on him are that he played in a mickey mouse offense and his throwing was less accurate than you'd think. but he does have a good arm

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I mean the simple explanation is Richardson is a bad qb. He’s a talented athlete who can’t play the qb position in spite of being a starter at an SEC school and receiving coaching from multiple offensive head coaches. But I’m sure he’ll magically figure out how to do the basic poo poo that eludes him once he goes to the nfl.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I like the jist of your approach but I don't think Anthony Richardson will be available at 20 and none of the other QBs seem like investing a top 64 pick on.

Lmao at whatever dumbass team drafts Richardson in the first.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I’m quoting this so that I can mock you when Richardson has his pro bowl season (when he’s 31).

Please do. Richardson being good would be extraordinary. Has any QB been as bad in college (at a good/elite program) and then gone on to be an actual good qb? It feels basically unheard of for the modern NFL, I’d be floored if he was anything but a shittier version of what Fields could this year as his absolute ceiling.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

the richardson stuff is insane to me, its all the shittiest tools QB bullshit from the early 2000s coming back. I'm getting Kyle Boller flashbacks.

he's going to be poo poo unless he goes and sits for three years with Andy Reid or Sean Payton and even then he'll still probably be poo poo.

Idk that the other 3 will be good either but it at least makes sense why they're being considered for a high 1st round pick. Richardson feels like the usual wish fulfillment crap that happens once the seasons over and the workouts start happening.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Those dudes can actually throw the ball tho Richardson.

Looking forward to whatever dumb team burns a first round pick on this bust

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

Pretty much. The problem is unless you can pry away a WR from another team, there doesn't appear to be an AJ Brown available. Spending huge on this FA class feels like it'll end up closer to what the Pats surrounded Mac Jones with.

Bears should honestly grab Hopkins. He’s expensive, but you’ve got fuckloads of cap space, and you desperately need a real WR to see if Fields can be a real QB vs the most exciting RB in the league. And whatever else you can say about Hopkins, that dude is incredible when he’s healthy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

CJ Stroud is probably the safest pick so that makes the most sense.

Didn't Reich run more of a rhythm, WCO-esque passing game too? Stroud's the best fit for that since he's got the best accuracy and throws well in rhythm

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

lol no personal beliefs allowed in the draft chat thread, only the angry bears fan who is speaking with a purely objective voice

Outside the driving issue is it a bigger problem that Carter has kind of looked like poo poo in his workouts and seemingly gained a bunch of weight?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Warming up to Bijan to the Chargers at 21

Are there no good receivers or TEs there?

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s more that there are nuances involved that most of TFF don’t care to learn and it becomes really frustrating to read. And there’s no room for specific nuance here - people will jump all over you. It’s like reading mcmagics opinions on contract law

Fair altho the main difference there is mcmagic’s opinions seem crafted in a lab to provide maximum entertainment to non AFCE/Jets fans

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You must mean north shore Hawaii.

Also is there anywhere good to read up on how wild this winter in California was? I'm on the east coast and only heard bits and pieces.

Another storm pushed through in the past 7 days as well. I'm in AZ but its been wild how much rain has come through this winter and CA is bearing the brunt of it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Nate Tice is very dumb. His Joe Rogan bro demeanor has made The Athletic Football Show basically unlistenable.

what a hot take.

he's just a nerdy football dude who gets overexcited sometimes, certainly not something us serious extremely grounded folks on SAS could ever relate to

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Tice has taken the not-uncommon talking point that Richardson isn't as much of a "build from the ground up" prospect as you might expect given his profile — in particular, that his processing is fine-to-pretty good for his age/experience — and gone too far by scoffing at the idea that anyone might look at the guy who completed 54% of his passes as a sophomore as a project.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1641146479656960002

The "and somehow he's a project" smugness in this post made me lol. Yeah dude, he sucked rear end in college, the project is "making him become good"

In general i dislike this sort of thing bc obviously they wouldn’t be even considered as a 1st or 2nd round QB if they didn’t do the right things sometimes. A single play in isolation says gently caress all about the overall capabilities of a dude who looked like absolute poo poo for the vast majority of his drop backs last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

take the fast WR so Mahomes can unleash the dragon

yea either do this and blow the top off of defenses, get a great o-lineman, or invest more young guys on defense