Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Theres a law on the books allowing the legislature to step in on railroad and airline unions. Biggest use of it was Reagan against air traffic controllers, ordering them back to work, then firing and banning those that subsequently went on strike from working in the industry again.

The follow on effects from this should be obvious including weaker union negotiating positions, companies relying on congress to push it in their favor.

Theres even more to the situation with railroad companies having huge profit margins comparable to tech, freight rates not changing or showing signs of efficiency increases, a ~30% drop in railroad employment, poorer service etc.

Edit:
https://slate.com/business/2022/12/freight-rail-strike-trains-csx-biden-congress.html

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/gabriel_zucman/status/1589672905889443840
https://twitter.com/gabriel_zucman/status/1589679494713217024

The Biden economy for everyone. If you are lower class or a top 1%, things are doing very well. If you are middle class, things are meh. If you are upper-middle class, things are absolutely miserable for you.

To put it into dollar terms, people making under $60k or over $150k a year are doing very well under Biden. It's the people making $85k/year who are suffering in Biden's economy.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 2, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ye's definitely nazi adjacent but he's also batshit crazy so it may well be all of the above. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I honestly think Kim K (oh god what's her middle name) was a good influence on him

The world if Donda West didn't die of a botched surgery from a question surgeon

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Eej posted:

The world if Donda West didn't die of a botched surgery from a question surgeon

I saw something that the surgery was actually fine and the issue was she didn't have proper medical care after and that did her in. Article linked from wiki seems to possibly back it up https://www.mtv.com/news/kd5zpj/donda-west-kanyes-mother-died-of-heart-attack-coroners-report if you consider mtv a valid source. I don't feel like ruining my google history any further.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

golden bubble posted:

To put it into dollar terms, people making under $60k or over $150k a year are doing very well under Biden.

Oh sure, doing great with rising food costs, rent and mortgage rate increases, rising credit rates, high energy costs, lovely health insurance, new/used vehicle prices, and the march onward to the destruction of labor rights.

Excuse me while I go dump out my change jar and roll in it like I'm a young entreprenuering Scrooge McDuck that wants to smell like metal alloys and pocket lint.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
maybe my brain isn't galaxy level but I have a very hard time believing people making less than 60k are doing well at all

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It would be their comparative increase in QoL or pay is larger than the middle class or something, due almost entirely to pay increases instead of wealth transfers. You guys are focusing a bit too much on the poor wording and ignoring the big part which is the large increase to the 1% due mainly to the large increase in corporate profits.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Maybe I'm distracted by the inconceivably huge rear end someone has to have to pull "actually people making less than $60k are doing well" kind of opinions from that I'm missing that the wealthy are making more than ever.

Or maybe I'm just assuming number always go up for the top 1% because it always does and that will never change.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Dude was just looking at how different income groups were being affected. The bottom picked up a lot of gains, the middle next to nothing, with the top 1% a lot as well, with further discussion of what and why they did. Don't make this weird.

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010
2.5% of 60k is $1500

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe I'm distracted by the inconceivably huge rear end someone has to have to pull "actually people making less than $60k are doing well" kind of opinions from that I'm missing that the wealthy are making more than ever.

Or maybe I'm just assuming number always go up for the top 1% because it always does and that will never change.

I think its like, 2% increased income for those under $60k, 5% decreased income for $60-120k, 5% increased income for those above 120k, and 50% increased income for those above 120M

I just made those numbers up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that chart only compares income growth, not expenses. so while sure, maybe the poorest people did get (say) double their income, that doesn't really matter when they're all underwater anyway and costs have gone up more than double. (these are not the actual values, of course. i'm making a point.)

but it does lend itself to exactly the kind of erroneous conclusion drawn here, for exactly the reasons you would expect.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does he need to have been born in Germany in 1910 to push him over the edge of adjacency?

Yup you're 100% right. I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt but he's exhausted it at this point too. gently caress him. Still wish he'd consult a world class shrink first

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

I am confused by why Kanye West needs to open image “ye24.psdc” to display the Raëlist logo.

Holy poo poo I missed this post and I had no idea Raëlianism used that symbol. What's also crazy is that I knew about Raëlianism a long time ago and I literally have no idea why. Probably when I was a teenager and reading UFO and conspiracy books but still...

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

that chart only compares income growth, not expenses. so while sure, maybe the poorest people did get (say) double their income, that doesn't really matter when they're all underwater anyway and costs have gone up more than double. (these are not the actual values, of course. i'm making a point.)

but it does lend itself to exactly the kind of erroneous conclusion drawn here, for exactly the reasons you would expect.

real wages means it’s adjusted for inflation. it may not reflect the exact cost situation you personally are facing but that is the nature of statistics to provide averages rather than anecdotes

maffew buildings posted:

maybe my brain isn't galaxy level but I have a very hard time believing people making less than 60k are doing well at all

median is well under 60k. 60k is in the upper-middle range that is seeing falling real wages

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2022

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Sorry, inflation is my fault. See I've been poor most of my life and then I got a degree using the GI Bill and now I have a job that can actually move my life forward but as I progress and start to think that "maybe I can buy a house one day" or "maybe I won't have to work until I die" the goal posts have to keep moving to crush any dreams I may have. My bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wrong Theory posted:

Sorry, inflation is my fault.

No it's Bernie's fault for giving out higher unemployment and trump/biden for giving out checks.

All those poors and their excess savings from 11-22 months ago! :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For people who make under 60 k, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's Elon's blockbuster reveal of the Hunter Biden moderation

https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1598826647771545600

... it's reheated poo poo from 2016 as cited by Area Substacker Not Named GG That Is Extremely Compromised

https://twitter.com/karissabe/status/1598832241072668674

and it's dumb

https://twitter.com/jason_paladino/status/1598830249025773568

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Here's Elon's blockbuster reveal of the Hunter Biden moderation

https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1598826647771545600

... it's reheated poo poo from 2016 as cited by Area Substacker Not Named GG That Is Extremely Compromised

https://twitter.com/karissabe/status/1598832241072668674

and it's dumb

https://twitter.com/jason_paladino/status/1598830249025773568

Yeah just to reiterate, once respected journalist Matt Taibbi is breathlessly revealing that twitter deleted pictures of hunter biden’s giant dick

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t wait for the House of Representatives to investigate the dong.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
open up word, autosummarize,

facialimpediment posted:

Here's Elon

it's dumb

:hmmyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A bunch of chuds are scrutinizing a photo of hunter’s dick like they’re Rick Deckard

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sales of large trucks are reported to be increasing across the south, in a joke that only works if you can infer the three degrees of separation

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Basically the Substacker thread is just the internals of this:

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1598841191717404673?t=cfT2t2Ipt7mnpUtyGRCTmA&s=19

And a more critical viewpoint is also:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1598841687496830977?t=pCs0VevFVvhnWJYeicZrYg&s=19

So Donnie has consistently gotten Russian hacker help, then all of a sudden Hunter Biden's laptop gets to the New York Post under very suspicious circumstances with lots of homegroan being non-consentually shared everywhere. And shocking development - democratic politicians and staff were directly interfacing with Twitter's lobbyist saying "uh yo this poo poo is really sketchy and this kind of poo poo happened in 2016" so the safety people decided it was safer to kibosh everything.

Elmo just wants Hitler to stop trending.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah just to reiterate, once respected journalist Matt Taibbi is breathlessly revealing that twitter deleted pictures of hunter biden’s giant dick

Just a reminder to everyone, Matt Taibbi was respected for a brief window at the end of the Bush administration when he published some good poo poo on bad banks. The entirety of his career up to that point was aping Hunter S Thompson with vaguely fictionalized stories of snorting blow off underage Russian hookers. He's poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

sales of large trucks are reported to be increasing across the south, in a joke that only works if you can infer the three degrees of separation

You don’t even need to involve Hunter for that one.

ED is legitimately on the rise.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
You shouldn't respect journalists because they're almost uniformly horrible people

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I know that the DNC is the root of all evil and so on but I'm pretty jazzed to see them finally tell Iowa to shove their corn dogs up their asses.
https://twitter.com/WKBN/status/1598844728304635904

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know that the DNC is the root of all evil and so on but I'm pretty jazzed to see them finally tell Iowa to shove their corn dogs up their asses.
https://twitter.com/WKBN/status/1598844728304635904

Questions:
Why does primary order matter?

Why does primary order matter in a year with Dark Brandon being the current reigning and defending WWE champion?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

maffew buildings posted:

wtf are you guys talking about the rail workers got a HUGE pay raise! how is this punching down? if they were trying to HURT the workers then why would the deal have paid them so much more? and we can't cripple the economy over this, the PTO issue will have to be addressed later when we have more breathing room. to frame this as anti-worker and not what it is, massively beneficial to these workers financially while ensuring our nation keeps our supply chain going, is disingenuous to how pro labor Biden's actions have been through this

Shut up, dad, you don't even know how to post here.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just a reminder to everyone, Matt Taibbi was respected for a brief window at the end of the Bush administration when he published some good poo poo on bad banks. The entirety of his career up to that point was aping Hunter S Thompson with vaguely fictionalized stories of snorting blow off underage Russian hookers. He's poo poo.

I have blotted-out this fact with the knowledge that his father reported on the Mets 1986 World Series win, and then just move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ytOYDMxDc&t=161s

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Questions:

Because much like iowa it doesnt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Defenestrategy posted:

Questions:

Why does primary order matter in a year with Dark Brandon being the current reigning and defending WWE champion?

That’s probably why they did it.

This is a shot across Iowa’s bow that gives them till 2028 to get their poo poo together.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Defenestrategy posted:

Questions:

You're probably right to ask - I think the "good" explanation is that NV/MI/etc are way more diverse than sheet-white Iowa and New Hampshire, so a candidate that could be better at drawing the democrats' diverse coalition could get hosed if they couldn't fundraise through losses in those two states. The "bad" explanation is that Biden wants the diverse states first - where he's always stronger in primaries. I lean towards the "good" explanation as back in 2020 most commentators were like "uh... why are hyper-white states given the early preferential treatment when they don't mean poo poo to a Democrat?"

Stravag posted:

Because much like iowa it doesnt

Plenty of candidates have flamed out early when they couldn't fundraise past the first few contests, or can't afford to pay their staff, or assorted money problems. Also early primary voters love to vote for winners or the "most electable".

Biden's surge post-SC was very, very much out of the norm so the calendar does matter. Not every candidate can survive up to Super Tuesday or survive with Biden's strategy of "gently caress these two states, I'm going to suck until SC then start sweeping the diverse states".

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

Questions:

Order matters because people, and Americans in particular, are stupid as poo poo. They will vote for a candidate based exclusively on name recognition, and the winner of early primaries gets that in bundles.

And yeah they are probably letting them know now because they want this process to "work" in 2028.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah but they would have flamed out for the first primary where ever it is. Iowa isnt first because its special, iowa is first because its first.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stravag posted:

Yeah but they would have flamed out for the first primary where ever it is. Iowa isnt first because its special, iowa is first because its first.

Right which is why Iowa wants to stay first and why the DNC can exert pressure on them by threatening to take it away. It gives their awful caucus a disproportionate voice in our electoral process which in turn makes important people in Iowa more important than they would otherwise be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
December 2nd, the day of the Hunter Bidonging.