Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Every 10 years, the BFI puts out their list of the top 100 greatest films of all time, and now, the The 2022 list is out. If you are a Criterion Channel subscriber, they already have a playlist out of every movie they have available for streaming on the critic's list right now.
I'm still working on just making a big spreadsheet of the list in just text, maybe I'll be able to finish it over the weekend. But I assume someone online has already made it and I can't find it. A sortable list has also been posted by the BFI on Letterboxd here.

Spoiler if you for some reason want to save the reveal for yourself - the list of movies that have been added to the top 100, compared to 2012:

14. Cléo from 5 to 7 Agnes Varda 1962 FR, IT
16 Meshes of the Afternoon Maya Deren, Alexander Hackenschmied 1943 USA
24 Do the Right Thing Spike Lee 1989 USA
28 Daises Věra Chytilová 1966 CZ
30 Portrait of a Lady on Fire Céline Sciamma 2019 FR
43 Killer of Sheep Charles Burnett 1977 USA
48 Wanda Barbara Loden 1970 USA
50 The Piano Jane Campion 1992 AUS, FR
52 News From Home Chantal Ackerman 1976 BE, FR
54 The Apartment Billy Wilder 1960 USA
60 Moonlight Barry Jenkins 2016 USA
60 Daughters of the Dust Julie Dash 1991 USA
63 Goodfellas Martin Sorsese 1990 USA
67 The Red Shoes Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger 1948 UK
67 The Gleaners and I Agnes Varda 2000 FR
72 My Neighbor Totoro Hayao Miazaki 1988 JP
75 Spirited Away Hayao Miazaki 2001 JP
78 Sátántangó Béla Tarr 1994 HG
78 Celine and Julie Go Boating Jacques Rivette 1974 FR
88 Chungking Express Wong Kar Wai 1994 HK
95 Tropical Malady Apichatpong Weerasethakul 2004 TH
95 Black Girl Ousmane Sembène 1966 FR, SN
95 Get Out Jordan Peele 2017 USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
no raging bull, malick or herzog? roger ebert's absence is deeply felt

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The more I think about this utterly batshit list the more I love it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No Pyscho Goreman or Malignant???

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I assume the bottom 30 or so is always pretty variable as that’s just whatever gets enough votes vs everyone else. So less consensus and something with like 20 votes might get a 90th place. But guess need to see actual numbers.

I know nothing about number 1 and I am also curious how that vaulted up. Like did I miss all the recent(ish) discussion on that film?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
for my own sake, the films I haven't seen on both lists, bold were on both lists

Critics
27) Shoah (Lanzmann, 1985)
28) Daisies (Chytilová, 1966)
30) Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma, 2019)
35) Pather Panchali (Ray, 1955)
36) City Lights (Chaplin, 1931)
48) Wanda (Loden, 1970)
50) The Piano (Campion, 1992)
52) News from Home (Akerman, 1976)
60) Daughters of the Dust (Dash, 1991)
67) The Gleaners and I (Varda, 2000)
72) My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki, 1988)
75) Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001)
75) Imitation of Life (Sirk, 1959)
78) A Brighter Summer Day (Yang, 1991) - god, i've been starting and stopping and putting this off for so long
78) A Matter of Life and Death (Powell & Pressburger, 1946)
84) The Spirit of the Beehive (Erice, 1973)
84) Histoire(s) du Cinéma (Godard, 1988)
95) Black Girl (Sembène, 1965)

Directors
22) Pather Panchali (Ray, 1955)
26) The Godfather Part II (Coppola, 1975)
41) Vagabond (Varda, 1985)
46) City Lights (Chaplin, 1931)
46) Don't Look Now (Roeg, 1973)
53) The Mother and the Whore (Eustache, 1973)
53) The Piano (Campion, 1992)
53) Fanny and Alexander (Bergman, 1982)
62) La ciénaga (Martel, 2001)
72) The Conversation (Coppola, 1974)
72) Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (Pasolini, 1975)
72) Kes (Loach, 1969)
72) A Brighter Summer Day (Yang, 1991)
72) News from Home (Akerman, 1976)
72) The Spirit of the Beehive (Erice, 1973)
72) Shoah (Lanzmann, 1985)
72) The Ascent (Shepitko, 1976)
93) Wanda (Loden, 1970)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How not a single one of the Colors Trilogy gets on is beyond me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

checkplease posted:

I assume the bottom 30 or so is always pretty variable as that’s just whatever gets enough votes vs everyone else. So less consensus and something with like 20 votes might get a 90th place. But guess need to see actual numbers.

I know nothing about number 1 and I am also curious how that vaulted up. Like did I miss all the recent(ish) discussion on that film?

There will be a top 250 list released next month IIRC. There will also be individual ballots released.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CelticPredator posted:

No Pyscho Goreman or Malignant???

Probably #101 and #102. Only way it makes sense.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

checkplease posted:

Looking at the 2012 list it took about 20 votes, or 2% of the voting pool, to get into the top 100. If they doubled the amount of responders, I could see needing to be on 50 ballots to get on this time. Which also goes to show how diverse the ballots have been for this poll. But I think the increase of streaming and of film critics discussing their ballots on Twitter/social media et Al could have had a focusing effect on a few films - it doesn't take THAT many people to think "I want to make sure a film from director X makes it into the top 100" and could see what other people are thinking.

Someone else mentioned how a film like Raging Bull could fall out of the top 100 for critics, and something like Goodfellas stays in...how much could that be from Ray Liotta and Paul Servino's recent deaths and many people going back to it? Same with Goddard - I think he died just after the final ballots were due. If he died a month before, rankings could be totally different.

Total list of what was added and dropped from here.

quote:

=95. Get Out
=95. Black Girl
=95. Tropical Malady
=90. Parasite
=88. Chungking Express
=88. The Shining
=78. Céline and Julie Go Boating
=75. Spirited Away
=72. My Neighbor Totoro
=67. The Gleaners and I
=67. The Red Shoes
=63. Goodfellas
=60. Daughters of the Dust
=60. Moonlight
=54. The Apartment
=52. News from Home
=50. The Piano
=48. Wanda
=43. Killer of Sheep
30. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
28. Daisies
24. Do the Right Thing
16. Meshes of the Afternoon
14. Cléo from 5 to 7

Dropped

=93. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
=93. The Seventh Seal
=93. Un chien andalou
=93. Intolerance
=90. A Day in the Country
=90. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
=84. Greed
=84. The Wild Bunch
=84. Fanny and Alexander
=84. The Color of Pomegranates
=81. Lawrence of Arabia
=81. The Magnificent Ambersons
=78. Chinatown
=73. Nashville
=73. Le grande illusion
=73. Les enfants du paradise
=73. L’eclisse
=63. Wild Strawberries
=63. Rio Bravo
=63. Pickpocket
=59. The Mother and the Whore
=57. Touch of Evil
=53. Raging Bull
=43. Gertrud
=21. The Godfather Part II

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You could teach an excellent film history course just with the films on the list. Though, I'd swap Meshes of the Afternoon for Scorpio Rising, swap North by Northwest for either Intolerance or Napoleon, and Sherlock Jr. for A Page of Madness. Maybe also swap Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep for To Sleep with Anger.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire absolutely deserves to be as high up on the list, it's in my top 10 for the 2010s.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
From a history perspective, I wonder if in 10 or 20 years would the list have a more cgi driven film. I’m not sure what choice would be, but it’s an intrinsic part of the craft now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What Makes a Movie the Greatest of All Time?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...&smid=share-url

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

Looking at the 2012 list it took about 20 votes, or 2% of the voting pool, to get into the top 100. If they doubled the amount of responders, I could see needing to be on 50 ballots to get on this time. Which also goes to show how diverse the ballots have been for this poll. But I think the increase of streaming and of film critics discussing their ballots on Twitter/social media et Al could have had a focusing effect on a few films - it doesn't take THAT many people to think "I want to make sure a film from director X makes it into the top 100" and could see what other people are thinking.

Someone else mentioned how a film like Raging Bull could fall out of the top 100 for critics, and something like Goodfellas stays in...how much could that be from Ray Liotta and Paul Servino's recent deaths and many people going back to it? Same with Goddard - I think he died just after the final ballots were due. If he died a month before, rankings could be totally different.

Total list of what was added and dropped from here.

Two of those movies dropped out is a travesty.

Lawrence of Arabia
Godfather Part II

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

edify
Sep 14, 2014

Predictable small dick energy from Jordan Ruimy.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Portrait of a Lady on Fire showed tits. Ebert would have loved it.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

...The Red Shoes was not on the list before this? Well looks like this one is a hundred percent better.

Also on one hand Portrait of a Lady on Fire seems like a weird pick and then I think about some of the best bits of that movies and I am like well why not. I am deeply a classic film guy but I think modern film continues to put out great works of art and I would prefer the list reflected that rather then look like it was curated by my dusty rear end.

EDIT: It would not be in my top 100 even remotely but that scene where she cries at the opera I mean come on. Its a good movie.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 5, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I am deeply a classic film guy but I think modern film continues to put out great works of art and I would prefer the list reflected that rather then look like it was curated by my dusty rear end.

I definitely think if there's a positive to be taken away from the discussion around this list's release, it's that people see some of the stingy bitches overreacting and veer away from that mentality/more towards realizing recent films can be/are great and shouldn't be immediately ignored in discussions of great films. A fair amount of stuff from the last 3-5 years are among my fav films ever. And I think that's okay! And I think it's okay if there are more people who can say the same thing!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
some of the leaked directors' lists and comments

-bong joon-ho and george miller voted for each other's films
-carpenter loves hawks and buñuel
-tsai is a king who voted for himself (again)
-YES someone voted for a grémillon, i'm so happy!!
-wiseman knows what makes him laugh
-lol petit
-poitras has got a theme going
-guadagnino loves bertoucci and rossellini
-terence davies puts out the most terence davies list possible
-noe making the most noe thing to be said about taxi driver

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Lawrence not being there invalidates the list imo. If it was a top-25 that'd be one thing(although I'd still be baffled if Lawrence wasn't included), but a top-100 with no Lawrence is just completely bizarre. I feel like a lot of voters must've left it off their ballot because they assumed everyone else would vote for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Lawrence not being there invalidates the list imo. If it was a top-25 that'd be one thing(although I'd still be baffled if Lawrence wasn't included), but a top-100 with no Lawrence is just completely bizarre.

I’m assuming the vote got split with half going for Bad Boys and half going for Bad Boys 2

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Coaaab posted:

some of the leaked directors' lists and comments

-bong joon-ho and george miller voted for each other's films
-carpenter loves hawks and buñuel
-tsai is a king who voted for himself (again)
-YES someone voted for a grémillon, i'm so happy!!
-wiseman knows what makes him laugh
-lol petit
-poitras has got a theme going
-guadagnino loves bertoucci and rossellini
-terence davies puts out the most terence davies list possible
-noe making the most noe thing to be said about taxi driver

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m assuming the vote got split with half going for Bad Boys and half going for Bad Boys 2

Just letting you know I did laugh at this but I was sitting there trying to craft the perfect Lawrence related response and eventually gave up. It probably would've involved a mention of Black Knight somehow though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Basebf555 posted:

Lawrence not being there invalidates the list imo. If it was a top-25 that'd be one thing(although I'd still be baffled if Lawrence wasn't included), but a top-100 with no Lawrence is just completely bizarre. I feel like a lot of voters must've left it off their ballot because they assumed everyone else would vote for it.

I think there’s some of that, assuming others will vote, and also a desire by many critics to “shake things up” and nominate different films. Lawrence did make the directors version btw.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Checks out. What is RRR if not all those movies all at once?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/matthewcr/status/1600250229659684864?s=46&t=8VOXwHTIUSuF8epMS2UNuw

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Not crazy about all those Bergmans being dropped.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is what I said about Jeanne Dielmann in genchat:

quote:

I have never seen the entirety of the new #1, though I have seen many snippets of it. This was maybe 13 years ago, when Netflix streaming was barely there, and my dad primarily used it for discs. He rented that movie and it took him about a month to get through it, because he could only get his quiet TV time in the early morning and late night, and would keep falling asleep watching it. So I have seen several parts of it walking through a family room. I'm sure thousands of nerds are booting up their criterion channel to try and watch it right now.

Well it took me three days but I finished. Fell asleep like my dad a couple times. Very good but I wouldn't put it #1.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

This is what I said about Jeanne Dielmann in genchat:

Well it took me three days but I finished. Fell asleep like my dad a couple times. Very good but I wouldn't put it #1.

Every newspaper website in Belgium last week was a variation of: "The best movie of all time is Belgian, and you have never heard of it!"

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I was initially hesitant to the recent film entries but I've grown to embrace it. Would I personally have voted for anyone of them if I had gotten a chance? No. But I think to say they don't belong, or deserve it, or that they're only there because of "politicization" or "wokeness" is disingenuous and presumes that people didn't authentically and earnestly connect with those films. All four of the 2010s entries -- Get Out, Moonlight, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Parasite -- were big hits and reflected major crossover moments in the mainstream. I'm also sure part of this is probably a lot more younger critics getting invited to vote this time around which we'll be able to confirm once we get to see the individual ballots next month (which will always be more interesting than the consensus list).

But the canon is always evolving and if those films don't stand the test of time then they'll simply cycle out in 2032 and that will be the end of it. Or, as this list is capable of doing, it helps cement them as modern classics that will grow with esteem as we get further away from their release dates and they no longer feel like unripe fruit and blend into the greater tapestry of the canon.

Get Out, for example, is a big win for horror movies -- of which there are now three on the list with The Shining making the cut for the first time, alongside Psycho. Four if you wanna count Mulholland Drive which I really don't, at least not as a true genre play, it's more of an avant-garde neo-noir with horror elements (and plenty of the films on the list have horror elements from Persona to Spirited Away to M to Spirit of the Beehive). However, I would have much rather seen a pioneering genre work like Night of the Living Dead (which similarly tackles race in America head-on) or Texas Chainsaw Massacre get recognized instead.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

I was initially hesitant to the recent film entries but I've grown to embrace it. Would I personally have voted for anyone of them if I had gotten a chance? No. But I think to say they don't belong, or deserve it, or that they're only there because of "politicization" or "wokeness" is disingenuous and presumes that people didn't authentically and earnestly connect with those films.

Yeah, the politicization criticism falls flat as previous S&S lists have had divisive political entries. The list has brought out an amazing amount of vitriol on certain corners of the internet. But because things are outdated or lost in translation it doesn't irritate current viewers. I can't see rightists liking this 1952 top ten much at all (then or now):

1. Bicycle Thieves
2. City Lights
2. The Gold Rush
4. Battleship Potemkin
5. Intolerance
5. Louisiana Story
7. Greed
7. Daybreak
7. The Passion of Joan of Arc
10. Brief Encounter

I think the argument to exclude recent films is stronger because nobody knows for sure how a film will age but the S&S has had nascent film entries from the beginning so it's nothing new. It being a decennial poll is another bias too.

As each year passes the limitation of ten films or 100 films or whatever number becomes a bigger constraint.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 12, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a home video release of Greed? I see Amazon has a streaming version for rent

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a home video release of Greed? I see Amazon has a streaming version for rent

I don't think there is. But the 4 hour restored version is on archive.org

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8aRCAF6fdc

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

That could be. Or maybe in TYOOL 2022 a white savior film with a brownface character doesn't hit the same way??

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sucks that a bunch of losers have to pretend now like Jeanne Dielman isn't an incredibly effective, immersive and moving masterpiece because of the woke agenda or some poo poo. Everyone fronts like they just care about merit regardless of the identity of the work's creator, but any time a film by a woman or a black person performs well critically suddenly it's all just political and it's the people who praised that work who are the ones with an agenda (it's almost like the SJWs, for all their faults, have an actual point about bigotry in modern society at the core of their message).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've seen almost all of them so it was interesting to try and figure out what was what from the five or so I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zogo posted:

I've seen almost all of them so it was interesting to try and figure out what was what from the five or so I haven't seen.
Nice! Did you get em?