Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fenix down posted:

Nice! Did you get em?

I didn't recognize all 100 immediately but after reading the list again I was nearly at 100% by process of elimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zogo posted:

I didn't recognize all 100 immediately but after reading the list again I was nearly at 100% by process of elimination.
I am gonna stay at 99 watched, because I have zero desire to finish Histoire(s) du Cinema.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

At least it's broken up into neat episodes so you can just watch one at a time.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The ones I haven't seen yet. These four look like easy watches:

Wanda
News from Home
The Gleaners and I
Tropical Malady

These two will take more time:

Satan's Tango
Histoire(s) du cinéma

I've actually seen the first third of Satan's Tango and some watch it in a single day but there was no way I'd do that. Like Shoah or Berlin Alexanderplatz I'm going to watch that on/off for a few months.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Satantango is GOAT

These are the ones I have yet to see:

1. Shoah
2. The Piano
3. Daughters of the Dust
4. The Red Shoes
5. Imitation of Life
6. Sansho the Bailiff
7. Celine and Julie Go Boating
8. A Matter of Life and Death
9. Histoire(s) du Cinema
11. The Earrings of Madame de…
12. The Leopard
13. Once Upon a Time in the West

Seeing five of these at the BFI in January and probably others in Feb and March but they aren’t on sale yet. If Playtime shows at the BFI IMAX I might just about poo poo myself

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I watched Histoire(s) du cinema earlier this year and the big thing is it’s surprising how watchable it is, so long as you don’t force yourself to understand every little thing. The greater meanings of the episodes do come across, I thought, but there’s so many moments you can’t force yourself to comprehend every line so it’s better to just enjoy it as an avant-garde miniseries. The episodic nature makes it almost “bingeable” as horrible as that phrase is, but I did it in a couple sittings and thought it kind of flew by.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sightsoundmag/status/1618982175910789121?s=46&t=zpV7924hACOgiIWnZi_KZg

Sure this is definitely true and absolutely nothing to do with them desperately trying to keep the attention and hype going for another month

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was wondering where that 250 list was located. Once that's released on Tuesday then the TSPDT 1000 list should be updated in March.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
How many votes are needed to make top 250, like 5 or 10?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

checkplease posted:

How many votes are needed to make top 250, like 5 or 10?

There were 1,639 voters so that's 16,390 total votes. The site says there were over 4,000 unique films selected (don't know the exact number).

To make the top 100 in 2012 a film needed 17 votes. The total votes and unique films (in 2012) were roughly half of those in 2022. So if things are on the same scale in 2022 then a film would need ~35 votes to make the top 100 this year.

Based on how many ties there are in the lower ranked films (in the top 100) I'd guess the number would be higher than the 5-10 range. But :iiam:.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I was wondering where that 250 list was located. Once that's released on Tuesday then the TSPDT 1000 list should be updated in March.

Nah he’s waiting for the individual ballots so it’ll be way later in the year now

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah he’s waiting for the individual ballots so it’ll be way later in the year now

Yeah, and he's right that it's absolutely worth waiting for the individual ballots because that will be the truly more interesting shakeup in the TSPDT math.

I dunno, I believe that they underestimated just how much time it takes to individually import over 1600 lists with over 16000 entries plus comments. I don't think they have any sort of automated system setup so I imagine it's doing it by hand from whatever methods they let people use for submission. Worth remembering it's just a magazine that does this, for all I know they could have used Google Docs.

edit: TSPDT posted an update over the weekend -- with a refreshed look! Says they're now eyeing April or May for the 2023 list assuming S&S hits their March 2 deadline. But in the meantime he put up a bunch of updates including the Best of 2022 list.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 30, 2023

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

There were 1,639 voters so that's 16,390 total votes. The site says there were over 4,000 unique films selected (don't know the exact number).

To make the top 100 in 2012 a film needed 17 votes. The total votes and unique films (in 2012) were roughly half of those in 2022. So if things are on the same scale in 2022 then a film would need ~35 votes to make the top 100 this year.

Based on how many ties there are in the lower ranked films (in the top 100) I'd guess the number would be higher than the 5-10 range. But :iiam:.

So of interest is that TSPDT's 2021 readers' poll had 1,983 voters allowed ballots of 25 films each. So that math changes considerably but for inclusion in the top 1,005 (five extra given the number of ties) a film needed 9 votes, while the top 101 (a three-way tie for 98th place) a film needed 88 votes. But the significant increase in ballot size and larger voting pool changes that math a lot.

https://theyshootpictures.com/2021poll.htm

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Variety also released a top 100 list for the first time recently
https://variety.com/lists/best-movies-of-all-time/

I need to see these five:

#59 Vagabond
#60 Moulin Rouge! (2001)
#66 Paris Is Burning (1990)
#79 Waiting for Guffman (1996)
#80 Pixote (1980)

TrixRabbi posted:

I dunno, I believe that they underestimated just how much time it takes to individually import over 1600 lists with over 16000 entries plus comments. I don't think they have any sort of automated system setup so I imagine it's doing it by hand from whatever methods they let people use for submission. Worth remembering it's just a magazine that does this, for all I know they could have used Google Docs.

I was thinking Google Docs should've worked okay although I could see it turning into a giant mess if people entered film titles in different languages or used alternate titles etc.

A pull-down menu with every film ever released would be the way to go.

TrixRabbi posted:

So of interest is that TSPDT's 2021 readers' poll had 1,983 voters allowed ballots of 25 films each. So that math changes considerably but for inclusion in the top 1,005 (five extra given the number of ties) a film needed 9 votes, while the top 101 (a three-way tie for 98th place) a film needed 88 votes. But the significant increase in ballot size and larger voting pool changes that math a lot.

https://theyshootpictures.com/2021poll.htm

Yeah, I've been watching films from that list. I wonder if they're going to do another one of those reader polls.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Zogo posted:

#59 Vagabond
#60 Moulin Rouge! (2001)
#80 Pixote (1980)

Waiting for Guffman is absolutely essential viewing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zogo posted:

#59 Vagabond
#60 Moulin Rouge! (2001)
#80 Pixote (1980)

An inspired choice for number 1, I'll give it that.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Variety one is just from 30 variety critics. Still fun to have lists though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The guy in the comments calling for Fahrenheit 451's inclusion gets it

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zogo posted:

Dang, that's a fantastic list! I haven't seen 5 of them.

When comparing the Sight & Sound Top 100 to the Empire Top 100, there were 22 movies shared between the two. Now with the Variety list out, these are the 15 that appear on all three:
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Singin' in the Rain
Seven Samurai
Vertigo
Psycho
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
The Shining
Do the Right Thing
Goodfellas
In the Mood for Love
Moonlight
Parasite

(These are the seven that don't appear on the Variety list)
Rear Window
Taxi Driver
Blade Runner
Mulholland Drive
Spirited Away
Get Out
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Top 250 out now!
https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Looks like a challenging list to complete. Especially for someone who's never seen an episode of Twin Peaks.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
When was the last time Fantasia made one of these? It isn't on the 2022 longlist, or the 2012 list or, if I'm not mistaken, the 2002 list. I know it's cliche to grouse about what didn't make it or what should have placed higher (or lower), but that's a fascinating perennial omission. I assume some of it is down to critical disdain for the Walt Disney company compounded by Disney being really weird about putting the film out there for decades now.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 1, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

When was the last time Fantasia made one of these? It isn't on the 2022 longlist, or the 2012 list or, if I'm not mistaken, the 2002 list. I know it's cliche to grouse about what didn't make it or what should have placed higher (or lower), but that's a fascinating perennial omission. I assume some of it is down to critical disdain for the Walt Disney company compounded by Disney being really weird about putting the film out there for decades now.

It was on the 1972 Critics list.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

Looks like a challenging list to complete. Especially for someone who's never seen an episode of Twin Peaks.

Look, The Return ought to be ranked even higher so give it a shot.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

It was theatrically re-released every decade since the original release (1947, 1956, 1969, 1977, 1982, and 1990) and only got a video release in 1990. But it's had the strictest "vault" status as it's only reissued on disc once a decade and the latest iteration is only available via Disney Movie Club.

I personally feel it's the "Citizen Kane" of the Walt-era features, so it's absolutely Disney's fault for ignoring the film for the last 12 years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So much to love about the top 250. Especially the Twin Peaks stuff gently caress yeah

I’ve seen 177/264

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zogo posted:

The good thing is you can skip that one since it doesn’t count

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

So much to love about the top 250. Especially the Twin Peaks stuff gently caress yeah

I’ve seen 177/264
Great start!

Here's the letterboxd version of the list: Sight and Sound’s Greatest Films of All Time 2022

Still a few mad people in the comments. If only there were a "Reinforce my Own Opinions 2022" list.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm at 72%, 191/264. So 73 to go, of which 13 are in the top 100.

Unsurprisingly the Top 264 is way more interesting, and hopefully makes up for that lack of Latin American and South American cinema in the Top 100 since there's a good amount here, including some really unexpected picks. I still don't really "get" The Headless Woman though, that one rolled off me entirely.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Possession barely squeaking into the extended poll

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've seen 206/264.

After I watch eighteen Twin Peaks DVDs I will reach 207. :doh:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Not a single Haneke in the top 250?

Have critics gone off him or something?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Not a single Coen Brothers movie as well.

Only so many spots for so many movies.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

I've seen 206/264.

After I watch eighteen Twin Peaks DVDs I will reach 207. :doh:

Well, Fire Walk with Me is in there too, so 208!

Unfortunately you do need to watch them all in order: Original Twin Peaks (Seasons 1 and 2), Fire Walk with Me, The Return (Season 3).

It's phenomenal though. Yes, everyone always over-exaggerates the Season 2 slump when Lynch left to go make Wild at Heart. But honestly it's not that bad and it makes up for it in the series finale. And then FWWM and The Return are just out and out masterpieces the entire way through.

kanonvandekempen posted:

It could be because he sucks and makes miserable, humorless, misanthropic movies.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 2, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

drat shame. Funny Games rules

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Well, Fire Walk with Me is in there too, so 208!

Unfortunately you do need to watch them all in order: Original Twin Peaks (Seasons 1 and 2), Fire Walk with Me, The Return (Season 3).

It's phenomenal though. Yes, everyone always over-exaggerates the Season 2 slump when Lynch left to go make Wild at Heart. But honestly it's not that bad and it makes up for it in the series finale. And then FWWM and The Return are just out and out masterpieces the entire way through.

I think I'll give it a shot then. Many years ago I passed on the opportunity to watch it with some people on VHS. So it'd be a long time coming. But now it's the only major Lynch thing I haven't seen.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

What's your overall pulse on Lynch? If you like him then there's no reason I can't imagine you won't go for Twin Peaks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

What's your overall pulse on Lynch? If you like him then there's no reason I can't imagine you won't go for Twin Peaks.

Mulholland Dr. is one of my favorite dozen or so films. I like/love all his other films. I remember not being a fan of the soundtrack on Lost Highway but that'd be the only gripe.

I'm much more averse to jumping into a longer series even when I think I'll enjoy it (especially binge-watching).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

I watched Histoire(s) du cinema earlier this year and the big thing is it’s surprising how watchable it is, so long as you don’t force yourself to understand every little thing. The greater meanings of the episodes do come across, I thought, but there’s so many moments you can’t force yourself to comprehend every line so it’s better to just enjoy it as an avant-garde miniseries. The episodic nature makes it almost “bingeable” as horrible as that phrase is, but I did it in a couple sittings and thought it kind of flew by.

Yeah, I just finished it and it wasn't as obscurantist as I feared. I did watch an episode every few days so it made it easier. My favorite segment was probably Sabine Azéma reading things in the fourth episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Zogo posted:

#59 Vagabond
#60 Moulin Rouge! (2001)
#80 Pixote (1980).

Vagabond is amazing. Easily my favorite of Agnes Varda's, and the Aesop is life changing even if that message isn't readily apparent.