Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Browns/Texans ended 27-14.

There was literally one offensive TD the entire game, from the Texans in the final two minutes of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

really queer Christmas posted:

TIE TIE TIE TIE TIE TIE TIE

:hai:

Relegate the Broncos lmao

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm trying to imagine a less appealing NFL thing than a tie between NFCE teams

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Watson's first game as a Brown looked downright terrible. Rust is one thing, but I don't think he showed any signs of quality today.

Chances of the very funny scenario where Watson loving sucks are rising.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's time for

Good Idea: Keeping Deshaun Watson out of the end zone for a full 60 minutes

Bad Idea: Allowing 3 defense/special teams touchdowns

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Combined with the draft pick currency used to get him the Russell Wilson contract is the worst in sports history right?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Combined with the draft pick currency used to get him the Russell Wilson contract is the worst in sports history right?

No cause there have been some brutal baseball contracts

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
it's dumb that the Giants defense was mostly good today, yet completely fell apart at the end of regulation and we got a drat tie.

I was confident that Gano at least had the leg to kick from over 60+, it wasn't very windy here today.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Nodoze posted:

Football has yet to see its Bobby Bonilla. And Bonilla, despite being the most famous, is nowhere close to the worst.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Chris Davis Orioles contract was one of the worst sports contracts this century.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Nodoze posted:

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/the-worst-contracts-in-major-league-baseball/

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Armitage posted:

it's dumb that the Giants defense was mostly good today, yet completely fell apart at the end of regulation and we got a drat tie.

I was confident that Gano at least had the leg to kick from over 60+, it wasn't very windy here today.

The Giants also completely panicked on offense right before OT.

And I think the Russ contract might be the worst because those bad baseball contracts actually don't crush the team in the same way. There's no salary cap in baseball, it's just a matter of willingness to spend rather than an actual restriction

edit VVV didn't even think of the draft pick think either, that's like icing on the cake VVV

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 4, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Sure but it’s not like there’s a cap. And also the draft picks for an NFL team are far more important than for an MLB team.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think that instead of having a tie column that if an overtime ends in a tie both teams lose

Even in the playoffs. Tie in the super bowl? No trophy come back next year now go apologize to Rhianna for wasting her time

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

So I went and asked my good friend JeterianGiftBasket about what the worst baseball contract is, and he didn't hesitate for a second.

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Stephen Strasburg has pitched 31 1/3 innings [Not even four total games] since 2020, with a 6.89 ERA. [Earned Runs Average, how many runs a pitcher lets up per game on average. League-wide in 2020-2022 was around 4.25.]

He made 35 million dollars each of those years, and is under contract for 4 more.

And those 4 upcoming years are all also at 35 mil.

So, Strasburg was one of the Washington Nationals' star pitchers in their 2019 World Series win, and got a big fat contract as a result of it. He was then immediately and grievously injured, and was awful before he was.

Since 2020, Strasburg has pitched for 31.3 of 4,274 innings of baseball. That's roughly equivalent to a football player playing for 20 minutes over the same span of 3 years.

For this, he has been paid 105 million dollars, and is being paid a grand total of 245 million dollars.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sure but it’s not like there’s a cap. And also the draft picks for an NFL team are far more important than for an MLB team.

Chris Davis signed a 7 year 160 million dollar deal and put up a -2.8 WAR in the five years he actually played. He only played one full season and then started missing games in addition to being awful, and is now getting deferred payments like Bobby Bonilla and he retired in 2020

E: the Strasburg one is awful too, and was before the ink dried because it was a huge risk just for the fact he's always hurt. He had TOS surgery too, so he might just be cooked too

Double E: Anthony Rendon signed a deal with the Angels for 7/245 and has at most played 58 games in a single season so far. To be fair, 2020 was the covid shortened season so he played most of that one. Better than Strasburg but he has been barely above replacement level for the time he has played so far and now he's coming off hip and wrist injuries

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 4, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Chris Davis signed a 7 year 160 million dollar deal and put up a -2.8 WAR in the five years he actually played. He only played one full season and then started missing games in addition to being awful, and is now getting deferred payments like Bobby Bonilla and he retired in 2020

E: the Strasburg one is awful too, and was before the ink dried because it was a huge risk just for the fact he's always hurt. He had TOS surgery too, so he might just be cooked too

Double E: Anthony Rendon signed a deal with the Angels for 7/245 and has at most played 58 games in a single season so far. To be fair, 2020 was the covid shortened season so he played most of that one. Better than Strasburg but he has been barely above replacement level for the time he has played so far and now he's coming off hip and wrist injuries

I guess this is all true but in relative terms Wilson has to be worse for a franchise because the Broncos were billed as “a QB away!” from gunning for a Super Bowl and they were served a total lemon.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Gonz posted:

Nate Hackett

Okay, just making sure. I was out and didn't know if the Broncos had already blown their challenges, and it was somewhat excusable.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I guess this is all true but in relative terms Wilson has to be worse for a franchise because the Broncos were billed as “a QB away!” from gunning for a Super Bowl and they were served a total lemon.

Unless today is all we will see out of Watson. Then it will be a fight between the Wilson and Watson trade/contract on what is worse

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Gonz posted:

The Chris Davis Orioles contract was one of the worst sports contracts this century.

Mods this is a personal attack on me

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
One real dumb thing was the Ravens calling timeout with like 35 seconds on the clock before we scored. Because of that the Broncos had two timeouts and almost got close enough to win. And if they hadnt foolishly blown a second half timeout to save 5 yards early in the third, they would have won.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Flikken posted:

Unless today is all we will see out of Watson. Then it will be a fight between the Wilson and Watson trade/contract on what is worse

I think it becomes the Watson one hands down if he just sucks completely going forward. On top of the picks and contract, you've got all that goodwill about the Browns that got torched in an instant.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Nervous posted:

I think it becomes the Watson one hands down if he just sucks completely going forward. On top of the picks and contract, you've got all that goodwill about the Browns that got torched in an instant.

Russell Wilson is at least TRYING. For as corny as he can be, he does at least appear to be sincere and looks like he cares. Watson lost the ability to be considered either of those a long time ago, and unlike Russ, his entire god drat contract is guaranteed so it doesn't matter if he sucks or not.

Watson's contract has so much more potential to be a disaster.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

It really was an all timer of an offseason for bad contracts. Green Bay may have torched their future as well with Rodgers

I am thankful for them all taking the heat off of the Giants for the Golladay deal

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress you Braxton.

https://twitter.com/Lamar2NYJ/status/1599525949044686849

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Russell Wilson is at least TRYING. For as corny as he can be, he does at least appear to be sincere and looks like he cares. Watson lost the ability to be considered either of those a long time ago, and unlike Russ, his entire god drat contract is guaranteed so it doesn't matter if he sucks or not.

Watson's contract has so much more potential to be a disaster.

On one hand I want to see success for the Browns, on the other I despise Jimmy H and everything about Watson and the acquisition. Today was nice since I was able to enjoy the rest of the team actually beating a team we should while Watson looked terrible.

I'm hoping it comes out he relapsed and gets permanently banned.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Flikken posted:

On one hand I want to see success for the Browns, on the other I despise Jimmy H and everything about Watson and the acquisition. Today was nice since I was able to enjoy the rest of the team actually beating a team we should while Watson looked terrible.

You hope he sexually assaults another woman?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

indigi posted:

You hope he sexually assaults another woman?

I honestly think he never stopped.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wilson does not look good but his coach is also a clueless dolt in way over his head. He could bounce back with a good offensive coach who has a clue.

Wilson is on the field playing, he's miles ahead of Strasburg

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Flikken posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier and safer for everyone around Watson if he just admits everything but refuses to apologize for it, forcing the Browns to release him and eventually the Haslams have to sell?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
This motherfucker ordered Lemon Pepper. How is that allowed in buffalo?

https://twitter.com/TheBuffaloNews/status/1599514390985940992

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if we're wishcasting I want him to try to sexually assault someone else but they manage to crush both his feet beneath a massage table in self defense which severs both Achilles tendons and we get video of it (no audio)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He attempts the act but they reveal that they're an FBI agent who proceeds to cuff his penis.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going to laugh if the WAS-NYG tie somehow lets Detroit sneak into a wildcard spot in January. It's still a long shot but not if they keep playing like this!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are we counting NFL rookie contracts in this discussion? Especially under the old rookie pay scale where brand-new QBs were getting monster contracts before playing a down. Where does something like Jamarcus Russel's rookie deal rank here?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This so desperately needs to be reworked with MuscleCoach in place of Caldwell.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Think I pointed out something similar last week but if Denver could score 20 points per game they'd be sitting at 9-3 right now

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tua had an awful first half and our defense spent the entire game juuuuuuuuust missing deebo and cmc

:sad:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Lou Anarumo deserves to be a head coach.