Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They could probably do it.

Don't think they can fix 4 years of being arrogant enough to take the Uncle Rico approach to off season QB coaching in less than a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ditch posted:

I know the Titans got spanked this week, but why are they only slight favorites at home against the Jags? Is there a big injury?

they stink and are one of the worst teams in the league, OP, but benefit from playing in an even worse division

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Titans are absolutely devastated with injuries for the second year in a row (even Jeff Simmons is playing hurt and it shows), and our OL is laughably terrible. Just literally not functioning on the left side, and the right side ain't much better.

It probably is a toss up against the Jag's on a neutral field, so a slight advantage with the home field is accurate.

There really needs to be a come to Jesus meeting with ownership and Jon Robinson this off-season. The approach to personnel has to change.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Every team in the NFC and AFC South has a negative point differential. If the Bucs lose or beat the Saints by fewer than 3 points tonight, that'll still be true tomorrow

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
i turned off the game and 4th quarter jesus loving christ colts

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Freaquency posted:

Paying 29 bucks for the pleasure of getting food poisoning

Kill me, it isn't worth it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kliff is gonna pick up Baker again.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They could probably do it.

If you're getting cut by a team in december then it's because you are absolutely poison in the locker room. It's gonna be hard for Baker to find a situation that isn't a vortex of suck to try and get his career back on track.

So yeah, maybe the Rams... with no Donald or McVay next year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Kliff is gonna pick up Baker again.

Unlikely to happen but god drat would it be hilarious.

What are the chances a team actually claims him?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Shindragon posted:

i turned off the game and 4th quarter jesus loving christ colts

I fell asleep when the score was 19-21.

Woke up right at the very end and the final tally was a hell of a surprise. :stare:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Mega64 posted:

Unlikely to happen but god drat would it be hilarious.

What are the chances a team actually claims him?

0. There's a chance he doesn't sign anywhere this season, I'd say considering how nobody wanted him this off season when he would actually have time to prepare.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Shinjobi posted:

I know people want opportunities to dunk on the cowboys so I just want everyone to know I've got some serious food poisoning today. Never trying their hotdogs again.

:barf:

Literally vomiting and/or making GBS threads your money

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Ditch posted:

I know the Titans got spanked this week, but why are they only slight favorites at home against the Jags? Is there a big injury?

Our only threat at WR was concussed this week and the tight ends, while good, cannot support our absolute nightmare WR situation. Simultaneously our OL can’t pass or run block so Henry is getting crushed immediately and tannehill is getting beat up.

We will still beat Jacksonville IMO but things aren’t going great

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kalli posted:

If you're getting cut by a team in december then it's because you are absolutely poison in the locker room. It's gonna be hard for Baker to find a situation that isn't a vortex of suck to try and get his career back on track.

So yeah, maybe the Rams... with no Donald or McVay next year.

this sounded like they did him a favor bc they have 3 QBs who are equally bad and he asked to be cut. there's zero indication that he's a lockerroom issue

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't know. This,

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Our only threat at WR was concussed this week has a season ending injury and the tight ends, while good, cannot support our absolute nightmare WR situation. Simultaneously our OL can’t pass or run block due to injury so Henrythe RB is getting crushed immediately and tannehill Jackson is getting beat up.

describes the Ravens perfectly heading into their loss against the Jags.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this sounded like they did him a favor bc they have 3 QBs who are equally bad and he asked to be cut. there's zero indication that he's a lockerroom issue

I'd imagine his teammates like him and the press doesn't (and possibly some of his coaches don't, but they're not going to talk for the most part). Have we heard of anyone other than Odell--or Odell's dad--who doesn't like him from a player? I may have missed some of that along the way.

I don't think you can fault his want to and he doesn't seem toxic like we imagine Russell Wilson to be, just...well you can fault a whole hell of a lot of other things including a little too much want to playing through last year. And of course even in his good years he was good but not all that good, and his two goodish years are a while back now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just presumed poison as a person because he's shown he can play decent enough football before, so the point where you are benched for Sam Darnold or Madden Generated guys seems wild.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of NFL players have gone out of their way to poo poo talk Baker Mayfield on the record. I was a pretty big baker believer going into the season as far as his stock is in general but it's a lot harder to feel that way the way this season has gone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's not like the Panthers team is any good anyway. Not sure how he was supposed to perform that well when the offense contained like 23% of the talent the Cleveland offense had. It was going to be a failure no matter what.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

yea im still a least a little bullish on Baker just bc he's had some success before and the last two years have been in toxic franchises/coaching regimes with offenses being playcalled by idiots

i hope he gets his Geno moment someday

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I think Baker is what he is. He's not talented enough to elevate anyone around him (in fact he demonstrably destroys any X wideout's stats). He can operate in a system designed to completely minimize his involvement. But at that point, what value does he actually bring? He also has only slowly gotten better at the media side of being a QB. He used to throw Browns teammates under the bus, but it didn't seem like that was happening with the Panthers.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

well his TV ads tell me he’s good at cleaning a stadium, I’m sure he can get a job with some NFL team on Sundays

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Woozie66 posted:

I think Baker is what he is. He's not talented enough to elevate anyone around him (in fact he demonstrably destroys any X wideout's stats). He can operate in a system designed to completely minimize his involvement. But at that point, what value does he actually bring? He also has only slowly gotten better at the media side of being a QB. He used to throw Browns teammates under the bus, but it didn't seem like that was happening with the Panthers.

There will always be a job for like the 20-25th best QB in the league.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There will always be a job for like the 20-25th best QB in the league.

Of course, but we weren't talking about Darnold.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/jenniferleechan/status/1599914828071510017?t=Q3XjJyOmVNBH0FlXZjZCrA&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ouch.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Friend-zoned

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It’s at least possible Baker asked to be cut so he’d have a chance to play somewhere, right? And the Panthers honored that because why not, it’s not like they’re contenders.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

rjmccall posted:

It’s at least possible Baker asked to be cut so he’d have a chance to play somewhere, right? And the Panthers honored that because why not, it’s not like they’re contenders.
That’s exactly what happened.

https://twitter.com/NateWimberly/status/1599818192141942784

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I've asked this before -- where is the specific evidence history of Baker Mayfield being a bad teammate?

Like, I'm not saying "convince me" -- my limited outsider observations disagree with it, but that means basically nothing -- but I've heard before that teammates have complained about him, that he has a reputation as a cancer, and whenever I've asked to see quotes or stories I've gotten no response. I don't want to say I doubt that something's there, because there's a lot of smoke, but I want to directly see the fire.

I'll also admit to being suspicious because I first started noticing a lot of the "bad teammate" stuff in 2021 when Baker was playing badly and the Browns were basically trying to run him out of town so they could sign Deshaun Watson, and trying to undermine the guy's reputation and character as a means to get rid of him sounds exactly like a thing I'd believe Jimmy Haslam would do.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've never heard of him being a bad teammate, but I do remember him being rude to Tony Grossi after he asked him some lovely question which actually kind of endeared me to him

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

I'll also admit to being suspicious because I first started noticing a lot of the "bad teammate" stuff in 2021 when Baker was playing badly and the Browns were basically trying to run him out of town so they could sign Deshaun Watson, and trying to undermine the guy's reputation and character as a means to get rid of him sounds exactly like a thing I'd believe Jimmy Haslam would do.

this is where im at too

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

OBJ and Landry seemed to hate Baker near the end of their Browns time. Robbie Anderson posted a negative tweet about the prospect of Baker becoming his QB.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

This is kinda where I am at. It was mostly team friendly media mouth pieces that were spouting that stuff and always from "sources". Including once Watson was signed all the same people were like "now that Baker's out and Watson's in players are way more excited to join the team!" and like we only pulled in on free agent after that.

I think other than the OBJ drama I don't know of anything involving him and teammates.

Fake Edit: I found a local news article basically listing every notable media incident with him and the only other teammate related stuff is him saying Myles Garrett trying to hit Mason Rudolph with a helmet was "inexcusable" and talking mild poo poo about Duke Johnson when he requested a trade before the 2019 season.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
There was plenty of easily waved away smoke around Carson Wentz, too, right up until it became crystal clear he actually was a complete piece of poo poo whose teammates couldn't stand him anywhere he went

I'm not saying that's exactly what's happening with Baker, I'm just saying it wouldn't blow me away

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I think a lot of people just hated the barrage of commercials he had. It seemed like a lot of talking heads loved bashing him for doing the commercials while he hadn't really done all that much on the field. But I'm not going to blame the guy for taking the money.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Toaster Beef posted:

There was plenty of easily waved away smoke around Carson Wentz, too, right up until it became crystal clear he actually was a complete piece of poo poo whose teammates couldn't stand him anywhere he went

I'm not saying that's exactly what's happening with Baker, I'm just saying it wouldn't blow me away

Hey now, Wentz made a few friends here in Indy when they were all fighting the righteous war against vaccines together

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

syzpid posted:

I think a lot of people just hated the barrage of commercials he had. It seemed like a lot of talking heads loved bashing him for doing the commercials while he hadn't really done all that much on the field. But I'm not going to blame the guy for taking the money.

Getting the Browns to the playoffs wasn't doing enough on the field?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Getting the Browns to the playoffs wasn't doing enough on the field?

Stephen A Smith needs something new every day to complain about. Both him and Skip Bayless definitely dumped on Mayfield about the commercials and plenty of others took the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

syzpid posted:

that was some of my takeaway too, but more just like a "wow these 'protect this house/browns stadium is his literal house' commercials seem like you're just inviting criticism the second anything goes wrong" thought process than anything else. everything else i've seen about the dude just has seemed like a passionate dude that wants to win.

i guess he could be 'outspoken' in pressers but only from the perspective that everyone talks like a robot 99% of the time and so anyone showing any emotion is gonna be fuel for bored sports journalists to talk poo poo when they would otherwise have nothing to do. i guess you could call that a 'distraction' but you'd have to be some sort of nepotism bullshit legacy hire dickhead to yell about that