Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's eq in Minecraft clothing. Didn't run into any stability or lag issues while playing a few hours last night. Could be something fun/different from playing EQ emu or TLP servers.

Random observations:
Things are closer together than EQ. There are zones but they appear seamless. It's dark as gently caress at night. There's no map/minimap, just text descriptions of geography, roads, and signs. There's factions that go minimally up or down with quests and kills. Fall damage exists and is currently overtuned. Mana regen at lower levels seems sufficient to roam around and keep heals up on people without tons of sitting and meding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Stigmas posted:

Easley the best modded Minecraft I've ever played. It looks better during play then what you see in the screen shots and gameplay did a really Good job capturing the feel of EQ

Haha yea. It's not modded MC though - the only thing it shares with MC is the voxel art style. Their code is completely separate and not based on MC in any way.

Game is still up tonight (possibly the last night for this test) so jump in and give it a try if you have any interest!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

https://clips.twitch.tv/DepressedFlirtyAdminCoolCat-Mwkgq0TR2ZP931tF

lol

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Jump down the well. :getin:

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Let's make this friday good.

https://discord.com/channels/804170096082681876/832695642035322920/1223288240447164487

quote:

@everyone
Looking to make your Friday even more good? We're happy to help!

# EverCraft Online Pre-Alpha Flash Test!

## Fenla Server Up Now!
Today (Friday, 3/29), our Fenla Test server is open to all! We invite you to come and experience Adrullan once again!

- **The Realm of Osgul**: The homeland of the Ogres is now open for exploration! Please note that it is not nearly as mature as Leont and only contains has a small subset of the crafters you'll find in Leont.

- **New Class Options for Humans**: Rangers and Beastlords are now playable for human characters, with their journey beginning in Greenwood Cover. We've laid out some foundational quests and abilities for these classes to get you started.

- **Crafting System**: We've initiated the crafting system with several stations now available in Leont. It's in its early stages, with limited recipes and a passive crafting style that's indicative of the broader systems we're planning to introduce. Only a small subset of the live crafting abilities are available in Osgul as we are piloting them in Leont.

- **Chat Bubbles for NPC and Player Interactions**: To improve the organic flow of information beyond the traditional chat window, we've introduced chat bubbles. You can toggle this feature in the General settings.

- **Floating Combat Text**: We're experimenting with floating combat text to provide real-time feedback on hits and magic effects against enemies. This feature is in its nascent stages and not customizable yet, but we're excited about its potential to enhance the combat experience.

- **Single Scene System and Memory Management**: In our continuous effort to optimize performance and manage RAM usage effectively, we're testing a single scene system. This is part of our broader goal to ensure a smooth and immersive gameplay experience for everyone.

- **Patcher and Code Signing** You can download our new alpha installer from the website dashboard.

Please keep in mind, especially for those venturing into Osgul or trying out the new classes, that your experiences will continue to evolve as we finalize content.

*Note: this is a flash test and the lack of announcement was intended. We understand some will not be available and may be frustrated. There will be pre-announced longer duration tests as well. There is no end-time planned or implied, but we will likely run into the late evening.*

Please see the <#1046194993129328660> , <#1048373425875456091> , and <#987177559601053737> channels for additional information.

Thank you for being a part of this journey with us. We can't wait to see you back in Adrullan.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I'm glad I got to try this out, but I really wish the character models were different. I understand the value of something simple and the desire to match the aesthetic but while voxel environments feel sufficiently fleshed out and interesting, the character models are very offputting. Maybe I'll be more comfortable with it over time.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

ECO is having another test this weekend.

quote:

EverCraft Online Community Alpha Test Announcement - April 19th Weekend

Embark on an Unforgettable Adventure in Adrullan!

We are thrilled to announce the upcoming Community Alpha Test for EverCraft Online, an original MMORPG project that combines the essence of adventure found in classic MMOs with modern sensibilities. Join us for an immersive weekend of exploration, danger, and camaraderie in the vast, seamless voxel world of Adrullan.

Event Details:
Date: Friday, April 19th, 2024
Server Time: 1pm ET / 5pm UTC
Local Time: April 19, 2024 12:00 PM
Countdown: in 3 hours
Duration: Full weekend event

What is EverCraft Online?
EverCraft Online is a passion project that aims to recapture the magic of early MMORPGs while introducing modern refinements. Set in a massive, voxel-based world, EverCraft Online emphasizes social interaction, strategic gameplay, and immersive exploration.

Key Features:
Vast, seamless voxel world with distinct starting cities and meaningful travel
12 unique races and 16 diverse classes (more details below)
Skill Milestones system for incremental character progression
Immersive gameplay with quality-of-life improvements
Social focus with an emphasis on grouping and cooperation
Extensive collection, gathering, and crafting systems
Rules based resources spawning
Compelling non-combat activities and gameplay

Please note that the features listed above represent our vision for EverCraft Online, and some may be in various stages of development during the Community Alpha Test.

For New Players:
If you're new to EverCraft Online, here's what you can expect in the current build:

Choose from a subset of the 12 races and 16 classes:
Start as a Human in Leont or Greenwood Cover(or as one of several Elf Races who are treated as humans for the purposes of the test)
Start as an Ogre in Osgul
Immerse yourself in the rich lore and cultures of Adrullan
Engage in strategic combat, social interaction, and immersive exploration
Discover the joy of collection, gathering, and crafting
Experience the thrill of unlocking new skills and abilities through the Skill Milestones system

We are continuously expanding the available starting cities, class abilities, and regions, so stay tuned for future updates!

For Returning Players:
If you participated in our previous Community Tests, here's what's new:

The realm of Osgul, home of the Ogres, is now open for exploration
New class options for Humans: Rangers and Beastlords
Initiation of the crafting system
Chat bubbles for enhanced NPC and player interactions
Floating combat text for real-time feedback during battles
Single Scene System and memory management optimizations
New patcher and code signing for a smoother experience

We've come a long way since our team first assembled three years ago, and your enthusiasm and support have been instrumental in shaping the world of Adrullan. We can't wait to share this incredible experience with you.

Please note that as a pre-alpha project with limited resources, there may be occasional hiccups or even early termination. Our team will be working diligently to ensure the smoothest possible experience, but we appreciate your understanding and patience in advance.

Join the Community:
Adrullan is best enjoyed with friends, so invite your fellow adventurers to join us! Visit our Discord server at https://discord.gg/evercraftonline to connect with the EverCraft Online community, access additional information, and stay updated on the latest developments.

Thank you for being a part of this extraordinary journey. Your passion and dedication are what make the EverCraft Online community truly special.

See you in Adrullan on April 19th!

The EverCraft Online Team

https://discord.gg/evercraftonline?event=1224557177025466388

I haven't had the time to update the OP with any sort of effort-post yet. Worth checking out, though!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Played a bit, and obviously this is an alpha build, but drat is the crafting loop tedious as poo poo to start.

So you want to make armor (metalworking and smelting), well to make ingots you need molds. To make molds you have to do 2 other crafts. But you will fail to craft items, and not a small chance either. Like sub 10% success rate and you gain no experience on failure for these crafts. Don’t worry though you could collect enough materials to make 50 attempts to craft and just set it to make 50 and alt tab, except this is bad. You don’t gain crafting experience until you retrieve a crafted item (hence why there is no exp for failure.

Essentially if you wanted to start smelting you either better be prepared to gather like 200 plus clay (and pay 5 gold to buy 100 water) or find someone to sell/trade you molds. I can understand wanting interdependence in crafting, but gently caress if I’d ever bother with that and do EC tunnel trading.

Also F8 -> Video -> Hide other players corpses, because god drat is it a sea of corpses.

I don’t really mind the figure out or ask in global for who wants certain drops, but let me remove pointless NPCs, e.g. guards that don’t really say anything, from my journal. They should also remove NPC dialogue from /say because choosing between turning if off or being spammed in town makes it a terrible chat channel.

Also I’m unreasonably annoyed that the conversion rate between coins is 10 to 1 and not 100 to 1!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Maguoob posted:

Played a bit, and obviously this is an alpha build, but drat is the crafting loop tedious as poo poo to start.

So you want to make armor (metalworking and smelting), well to make ingots you need molds. To make molds you have to do 2 other crafts. But you will fail to craft items, and not a small chance either. Like sub 10% success rate and you gain no experience on failure for these crafts. Don’t worry though you could collect enough materials to make 50 attempts to craft and just set it to make 50 and alt tab, except this is bad. You don’t gain crafting experience until you retrieve a crafted item (hence why there is no exp for failure.

Essentially if you wanted to start smelting you either better be prepared to gather like 200 plus clay (and pay 5 gold to buy 100 water) or find someone to sell/trade you molds. I can understand wanting interdependence in crafting, but gently caress if I’d ever bother with that and do EC tunnel trading.

Also F8 -> Video -> Hide other players corpses, because god drat is it a sea of corpses.

I don’t really mind the figure out or ask in global for who wants certain drops, but let me remove pointless NPCs, e.g. guards that don’t really say anything, from my journal. They should also remove NPC dialogue from /say because choosing between turning if off or being spammed in town makes it a terrible chat channel.

Also I’m unreasonably annoyed that the conversion rate between coins is 10 to 1 and not 100 to 1!

Few notes:
- I haven't taken part in any of the crafting and it's new to this alpha - I'm sure they're getting a lot of similar feedback though (from what I've heard).
- I agree that the journal is sort of annoying in its current form. They're trying to find a middle ground between the old guard (no journal, no records) and modern players (show me a quest log). It needs work though, at least culling the useless stuff.
- Yea, there are so many player corpses. I don't know how they scale this to not be annoying and still keep the EQ-esque corpse recovery.
- The chat channels need work - better default filtering/windows, making it more obvious which channel a message is writing to, etc.

On the positive side, they've added a lot of content, more world to explore, and a bunch of fun classes since I last played. While they're taking a lot from EQ, they're adding their own unique spin on the classes.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Treating crafting like an afterthought is on-point for the EQ experience, I barely engaged with crafting at all in EQ.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I’ve got zero interest in crafting in these types of games I hope it’s as peripheral as it was in EQ where you never had to engage with the systems to acquire decent items, but it has worthwhile advantages for those who invest the time (actually idk if that’s true for EQ since I never bothered)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
There’s always a couple folks with the market cornered on jewelcraft.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I haven't played in the latest test but ew they added a journal? Gross.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sachant posted:

I haven't played in the latest test but ew they added a journal? Gross.

It's literally the simplest implementation of a journal you could think of. It just records the text for every single named NPC you ever encounter. It turns out being an ok at giving you a place to reread the text the NPC said if you needed a reminder, but there's no organization otherwise, it doesn't filter what it records meaning you get a bunch of useless filler, and if you forgot the name of the NPC you wanted to reread stuff from then good luck finding it.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Oh that's alright then I guess. If they add a quest log that would be complete butts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had a blast in the community alpha this last weekend. This game has that ~feeling~ to it when I play, similar to how it felt playing EQ in the early days. I tried several classes and eventually settled on druid. The Greenwood area that the nature classes start in is really comfy. Osgul, the new ogre starting area, is very cool. It evokes a sense of Oggok while being entirely it's own thing (almost like Oggok and Halas combined). I like the ogre models too. I can't wait to play as a troll, halfling, and gnome, which are my favorite races.

I can't wait to dig back in during the next alpha weekend. I looked to see if you could buy a pledge package or something to get immediate alpha acces but nope. :negative: