Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

i say swears online posted:

re: most successful alum

the MCU has blown a giant hole in anything else, RDJ wins through those movies alone. of actual comedy actors, i think sandler takes the prize in a cakewalk. his movies not only gross a ton, they're insanely profitable as well since they're cheaper to make than superhero stuff

If the top of the list is Scarlett, that could mean only one thing - congrats Colin Jost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

tarlibone posted:

I'm watching last night's episode, and this Marzipan sketch is hilarious.
Bowen's character freaking out and being a little weirdo with no explanation is remarkable restraint for SNL

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Martin Short as Scrooge sketch even made it into this year's Xmas special.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ArtVandelay posted:

Not saying she doesn't deserve this final sketch, but they didn't even go this far for Kate, who was arguably more important to the cast

Kate got a goodbye sketch that perfectly encapsulated her time on the show.

A skit that was weird and funny at first but had diminishing returns every time they brought it back with the same punchline.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Man, I thought that episode was a banger! I loved almost all of the skits, especially in the first half before update!

Sara Squirm is solidifying herself as the next big star, her Jewish Elvis had such an easy confidence: she is going to soar on this show. And hopefully her comedy style will bleed more and more into the proper show!

I think my favorite was the Christmas Miracle short: I was rolling every time it cut back and forth!

As for “Greatest Alum” chat: I think it depends on how you slice it. RDJ obviously wins on box office gross if you count him as a proper alum (didn’t he have a fair career prior to SNL? I feel like he was one of the “already famous” hires in the 80s...). Chevy Chase and Adam Sandler have likely been in more films than all of the others. Chase has the benefit of a much smaller media landscape when his career was blooming. Sandler too, to a lesser degree. Farrell was probably the closest to taking over the Film Throne: he had a large brand from 2005-2015, probably boosted by getting in at the ground floor of Internet comedy creators like College Humor. You also have alumni like Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon, who have had enormous success on Late Night TV...

For my pick, I think Eddie Murphy has probably had the longest and most successful career: he is the ur-player in my mind. He had the film success of alumni like Chase and Sandler, ran the show for a decade to a greater degree than Kenan does today, and has also had a long and lucrative tail to his career, still staring in films and television!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Jewish Elvis sketch made me laugh harder and longer than anything in a long time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

For my pick, I think Eddie Murphy has probably had the longest and most successful career: he is the ur-player in my mind. He had the film success of alumni like Chase and Sandler, ran the show for a decade to a greater degree than Kenan does today, and has also had a long and lucrative tail to his career, still staring in films and television!

Murphy was on the show for like four years.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Man, I thought that episode was a banger! I loved almost all of the skits, especially in the first half before update!

Sara Squirm is solidifying herself as the next big star, her Jewish Elvis had such an easy confidence: she is going to soar on this show. And hopefully her comedy style will bleed more and more into the proper show!

I think my favorite was the Christmas Miracle short: I was rolling every time it cut back and forth!

As for “Greatest Alum” chat: I think it depends on how you slice it. RDJ obviously wins on box office gross if you count him as a proper alum (didn’t he have a fair career prior to SNL? I feel like he was one of the “already famous” hires in the 80s...). Chevy Chase and Adam Sandler have likely been in more films than all of the others. Chase has the benefit of a much smaller media landscape when his career was blooming. Sandler too, to a lesser degree. Farrell was probably the closest to taking over the Film Throne: he had a large brand from 2005-2015, probably boosted by getting in at the ground floor of Internet comedy creators like College Humor. You also have alumni like Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon, who have had enormous success on Late Night TV...

I'd go with Bill Murray over Chevy Chase without hesitation. Chase was only on SNL for its first year, and Murray replaced him for seasons 2-5. Then Murray went on to have a much longer and more successful movie career. Both are known for being mercurial and difficult, but Chase is widely reviled, while Murray is still largely beloved and remains in demand.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Uhhh, about that...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Uhhh, about that...

Thanks, I was about to say.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just read about what the last two comments are referring to, and I'm not defending him. I can't even say I'm surprised. Somehow, despite bad behavior and a lack of professionalism, he still gets work and has adoring fans. He's even in an upcoming Marvel Studios movie. With all that in mind, I'd still consider him a much bigger star and bigger success than Chase, by any metric.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just read about what the last two comments are referring to, and I'm not defending him. I can't even say I'm surprised. Somehow, despite bad behavior and a lack of professionalism, he still gets work and has adoring fans. He's even in an upcoming Marvel Studios movie. With all that in mind, I'd still consider him a much bigger star and bigger success than Chase, by any metric.

You’re not wrong. It’s just that your phrasing at the end was especially funny considering recent events.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just caught up on last few eps and I thought they were great, I even watched a whole political opener and enjoyed it. Cecily is amazing and I'm sure we'll see her around again. I'm glad we see more of Sarah, she's easily my favourite new addition and james austen johnson has grown on me too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Came in today: A cool book about the films of Tom Schiller, along with a cool signed bookplate from the author (which he sent separately and arrived Monday)

The title is a takeoff of Nothing Lasts Forever, Schiller's 1984 film for Paramount that they never released.

Happy Christmas time y'all.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1609006173251829761

pwn
May 27, 2004

Show returns 21st

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1611120436619710466

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I suspect 1/21 will be an... interesting episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want Sam Smith the Chicago Bulls beat writer for the last 40 years and Michael Jordan to return after his episode in 91.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

carticket posted:

I suspect 1/21 will be an... interesting episode.

I have a feeling she may connect well with Sarah Sherman, and we, the audience, will never be the same again.

Can't wait!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Can't wait for SNL's hot takes on the speaker of the house vote that will undoubtedly be the cold open unless something stupider manages to happen next week.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Can't wait for SNL's hot takes on the speaker of the house vote that will undoubtedly be the cold open unless something stupider manages to happen next week.

If it’s still going on they might pull of something mildly amusing like a bit where they’ve been doing it for decades or whatever but I highly doubt it…

thrawn527 posted:

I have a feeling she may connect well with Sarah Sherman, and we, the audience, will never be the same again.

Can't wait!

:hmmyes:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I used to dread SNL political cold openers for a few reasons, and they're 99% of them now, but between watching old SNLs and some random Johnny Carson I actually really appreciate the public historical grumbling record of current political events. You can read up on old presidents and administrations, but not so much the day-to-day dunking and complaining folks have in the moment, especially since it all still applies and carries forward. Then you can feel connected to your history, like, "hey, things have always been getting worse and always will be" and feel some kinship with them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

I used to dread SNL political cold openers for a few reasons, and they're 99% of them now, but between watching old SNLs and some random Johnny Carson I actually really appreciate the public historical grumbling record of current political events. You can read up on old presidents and administrations, but not so much the day-to-day dunking and complaining folks have in the moment, especially since it all still applies and carries forward. Then you can feel connected to your history, like, "hey, things have always been getting worse and always will be" and feel some kinship with them.

This is a great way of putting it. I mean, you can try and describe what it was like dealing with the Two Reagans (the fun, affable "I don't know what happened" President, and the cold, calculating President who sold arms to terrorists), or you can show them this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

Which was made at the time people were living with him. It's a perfect time capsule of the zeitgeist. (And one of my favorite SNL sketches.) I guess this isn't a cold open, but the point still stands.

The same could be said about the George W era, and what was happening with Sarah Palin, and on and on. It's not a perfect history or anything, but it gives you an idea of what people thought of what was happening at the time.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 7, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My reasons for disliking it aren't damning either. My biggest issues can't really be held against them since it's just the nature of what it is, and hell, if I actually watch em fresh that saturday night at night time a little tired and feelin good like you can be on saturday night I'd probably like em more often than I do playing catch-up.

Wish SNL archives weren't so janky to watch but I guess there's really no way besides some mega compilation of live tapings or bootlegs because of rights issues and stuff I assume. Someone in these threads used to host some kind of OG SNL rewatch thing, shoulda paid more attention to those lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight, Vintage is Jerrod Carmichael with Gunna from April 7 2022, presumably since he's hosting yonder Globes of Gold this Tuesday. Regular repeat is Megan Thee Stallion.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Khanstant posted:

My reasons for disliking it aren't damning either. My biggest issues can't really be held against them since it's just the nature of what it is, and hell, if I actually watch em fresh that saturday night at night time a little tired and feelin good like you can be on saturday night I'd probably like em more often than I do playing catch-up.

Wish SNL archives weren't so janky to watch but I guess there's really no way besides some mega compilation of live tapings or bootlegs because of rights issues and stuff I assume. Someone in these threads used to host some kind of OG SNL rewatch thing, shoulda paid more attention to those lol

https://twitch.tv/thatweekinsnl

looks like this channel will be live on sunday evening

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. I don't run That Week in SNL or anything, just a friend of the show. Any given time you tune in, you're more likely than not to see something from my collection. Andrew typically streams on Thursday and Sunday nights on Twitch, it's a private channel, here's the link https://twitch.tv/thatweekinsnl Follow the show on Twitter, he always announces the lineup for a night the day of broadcast.

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1606318715339001856

Yes that is not a Twitch stream announcement, it's for the podcast. That Week in SNL has a podcast? SA has a front page?? It's true, and unlike SA, it has been anything but moribund for the last two years. Andy and Timmy, two white dudes in their late 30s, cover episodes from every era of the show's history

They hit 100 episodes back in November, but you'll never have more fun catching up on a podcast about SNL. They frequently have guests to help them break down the hows, whos, and dear god whys, of the show, from cold open to the 10-to-1 (or 5-to-1 if it's a newer show, though they're less frequent). And much of the past two years, episodes reviewed are with commercials. Hear snippets of old ads! Marvel in honorary third chair William Ham's deep knowledge contextualizing arcane promos! Wonder in how they got those old master tape bootlegs with the original band music (it was me, slightly shameful brag)! The funnest, and most brutally honest, SNL review podcast, in my opinion.

I just saved you from pulling a "there's a front page?" in the Twitch chat. You're welcome.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Forgot to mention, while there's (almost) always an SNL in the stream, the rest of the show is other sketch comedy, sketch comedy-adjacent comedy, music videos, and deep-fried shorts exclusive to the channel. Thursdays are home to more North American fare, while Sundays, after SNL, we go across the pond and tap into the vast comedy reserves of England. The stream typically starts a few minutes before 8 and ends a few minutes after 12 Eastern. Sometimes there's bonus All Night content too. Fun!

Edit: Also NO HORNY in chat, nobody wants to know that Cheri Oteri's outfit is doing it for you and you will probably get banned, though they usually give a warning. Also it's apolitical but the host and mods have been known to bash the fash so bear that in mind before dropping that sick Paul Pelosi Hammer Party joke :shobon:

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 8, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Amy Schumer rerun hits late tonight, 12:24/11:24c

Edit: I was off by ten minutes! 12:14/11/14c

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 15, 2023

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ThatWeekInSNL/status/1615836835099578368?cxt=HHwWgMDQscvCzewsAAAA

Just knowing Chris Farley exists makes me stand in awe of this record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Happy New Year! Go here!