Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I still remember 1998 when the BCS told Tulane they were cute but don’t ask for an invite to the party

Glad they got some revenge today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Spacebump posted:

I went to the Cotton Bowl and the American Conference Championship game this year. Tulane did not disappoint in either. This will probably be the best Tulane season I'll ever see.

ROLL WAVE!

That absolutely rules.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tulane's Willie Fritz was the favorite in Georgia Tech's coaching search a month ago. Then the Jackets decided they didn't want to pay the man ... or anybody else.

Good going, Yellow Jackets!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Tulane's Willie Fritz was the favorite in Georgia Tech's coaching search a month ago. Then the Jackets decided they didn't want to pay the man ... or anybody else.

GT's financial situation is such that it isn't really a choice that they can't pay for anybody

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Generous spin is that they feel that money would be better spent making structural improvements to the program over the next few years and making it a more appealing destination.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Riley is a good coach but not a great coach and could probably win a natty if he found a decent DC but he's also a coward and I will always laugh whenever he underachieves because I'm petty and bitter about the manner in which he left. How bout them Wavgs. Wave bitch

Username/Post combo

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Rose Bowl Champs. Extremely blessed. This year certainly surpassed my offseason prediction. Should be really good again next year too

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Rose Bowl Champs. Extremely blessed. This year certainly surpassed my offseason prediction. Should be really good again next year too
:emptyquote:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Why the hell is the FCS Championship on Sunday during the NFL's busiest window?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

My favorite fanbase meltdown over a head coach this year is of course, "Ryan Day is underachieving at Ohio State". My second favorite fanbase meltdown this season is Penn State fans spending most of their season begging Auburn to take James Franklin because he wouldn't start a true freshman QB

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Lol, no one said that

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

Generous spin is that they feel that money would be better spent making structural improvements to the program over the next few years and making it a more appealing destination.

Also Willie Fritz is 62 years old. I get saving money and letting Brent Key (18 years younger) coach tryhard ball to 5 wins a year for a bit while they make the program a little less ridiculous.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

My favorite fanbase meltdown over a head coach this year is of course, "Ryan Day is underachieving at Ohio State".

My cowardly, spray-bearded coach called a fake punt. I stand with Ryan Day, history's greatest coward.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Jimmy Leonhard is going to get 5 mil a year to be the new DC at USC.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember it being Auburn people saying they should try to get Franklin on the general logic of "well he beat us twice!"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
USC had an unsustainably high turnover differential masking their defensive issues for most of the season. They seemed to always get a fumble or a pick in the RedZone to save an otherwise easy TD drive.

This is what happens when the opponent doesn't make mistakes to capitalize on

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Let's tie up all these loose ends at once: Brett Venables to USC DC

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Riley is a better play caller but Day is a better head coach.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is my read as well. Day at least conceptually understands the need for a defense and isn’t afraid to make changes. Riley…as far as I can tell…is mainly interested in employing Alex grinch?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Riley better figure it out by 2024.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I have a hard time conjuring really harsh pronouncements for a coach who makes you a reliable top 10 program basically the second he walks in the door. Even by the standards of OU or USC, the guy’s record speaks for itself.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah if USC is averaging 10 wins a year, he’s fine for a long time here. The fan base here is essentially only sentient on the program when it grabs headlines. Lincoln will generate headlines, even if he always blows the big games.

His recruiting class sucked this year though. Over half the class as 3*s at USC is lolworthy

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

General Dog posted:

I have a hard time conjuring really harsh pronouncements for a coach who makes you a reliable top 10 program basically the second he walks in the door. Even by the standards of OU or USC, the guy’s record speaks for itself.

You know there's a guy in the nba who has coached for 20 years top 10 in coach wins has been to the conference finals numerous times and even won a championship. He also laps the field in blown 3-1 series leads. His name is doc rivers and he's absolute dogshit. Lincoln Riley is college football doc rivers

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I wonder what USC's record looks like with Riley coaching but say, Kedon Slovis at QB

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

dphi posted:

I wonder what USC's record looks like with Riley coaching but say, Kedon Slovis at QB

I’m sure worse, but why does it matter?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i remember kedon slovis heisman hype

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lincoln Riley is a top 5 coach in the country what the gently caress are we even talking about here lol

If he loving Forrest Gumps his way into a Venables-like DC like dipship Dabo did they’re going to start destroying people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dphi posted:

10 wins and Kedon Slovis is a Heisman finalist

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Day just called the absolute game of his life but I’d agree that as an offensive mind Riley is better.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Lincoln Riley is a top 5 coach in the country what the gently caress are we even talking about here lol

If he loving Forrest Gumps his way into a Venables-like DC like dipship Dabo did they’re going to start destroying people.

We're Florida fans so we are blinded by the coach in a visor who has a beautiful passing offense, and it is entirely possible that Riley finds religion on defense as Spurrier did

But right now, Alex Grinch is to Lincoln Riley as Todd Grantham was to Dan Mullen on a smaller scale

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Day just called the absolute game of his life but I’d agree that as an offensive mind Riley is better.

Day as as a play design and gameplanner for bowls is objectively a better coach than Lincoln. Every year they roll into a bowl with a gameplan that annihilates whatever is in front of it and essentially have a crapshoot with the defense. For week to week or in-season stuff, Riley is much better, and I think a lot of that is that his running game is a lot more sensible and unique. Riley’s counter and power stuff tends to work better in the current meta than the Zone heavy stuff that Day loves—largely off of Wilson’s influence on Ohio state and the fact that the zone read hasn’t been the same threat.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Riley is the best caller of plays within the context of a game. He is extremely good at taking what the defense is giving and finding whatever path he needs to take to the endzone.

Day, for whatever reason, loves to just ramrod his plan through no matter the circumstance, which can be detrimental.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Spurrier is a goddamn wizard and even he never won a title until Bob Stoops came along to coach his defense. Riley's fine, and it's better to be good at offense IMO.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Spurrier is a goddamn wizard and even he never won a title until Bob Stoops came along to coach his defense. Riley's fine, and it's better to be good at offense IMO.

It’s more fun anyway

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sad we only have one game left this season, but this is definitely the most interested I've been in the title game in several years.

I have nothing against Georgia or Georgia fans but it'd be pretty drat cool for TCU to win it. As far as I can tell they'd be the smallest school to win a natty since Notre Dame last did it in '88.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

They say defense wins championships, but in today's college football, you can often get away with blowing teams away with offense. But every once in a while, the best offenses in the country run into a buzzsaw. USC lost twice to Utah. USC is still going to be a great team in the Big Ten as-is, and an expanded 12-team playoff means they still have a legit shot of getting in every year. However, I think they are going to find it much more difficult to maintain that consistency unless they upgrade their defensive schemes, because it's not as if the defense is bad for lack of talent.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Metapod posted:

You know there's a guy in the nba who has coached for 20 years top 10 in coach wins has been to the conference finals numerous times and even won a championship. He also laps the field in blown 3-1 series leads. His name is doc rivers and he's absolute dogshit. Lincoln Riley is college football doc rivers

real talk though, what does a NBA head coach even do.

"alright superstar basketball players, who have played at an elite level for your literal entire lives, get out there and put the ball in the basket"

I dont know a ton about basketball strategies but from the scoring and how it looks to watch the game I dont even know what the coach does to change/influence the outcome of the games.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know what any pro coach does.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EmbryoSteve posted:

real talk though, what does a NBA head coach even do.

"alright superstar basketball players, who have played at an elite level for your literal entire lives, get out there and put the ball in the basket"

I dont know a ton about basketball strategies but from the scoring and how it looks to watch the game I dont even know what the coach does to change/influence the outcome of the games.

Lineup management, defensive scheming, different offensive emphases (though it’s all become very homogenized on that end of the floor). Mike Budenholzer teams used to dominate the regular season only to get run out of the playoffs early because he would not adjust. Having a superstar in Giannis obviously made the Bucks much better than his Hawks teams but they didn’t get to the finals until he learned how to adapt to playoff basketball.

If it was just "the best players improvise" then LeBron would've had four titles in Miami and the Warriors would not have improved by 17 games after firing Mark Jackson.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

TCU winning it all in their first non-Patterson season of the 21st century would be :discourse: