Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

ADTRW used to have its own fansub group, if memory serves.

Oh, definitively. Mostly active between about 2002 and 200..6? Had their own website (long archived), final projects in 2010.

Final subtitled anime:
Haibane Renmei (up to ep3)
School City Valanoir

Final attempt at translating manga:
Nichijou (early chapters)

Kindly referred back then as Studio E:F;B as a in-joke, since it was fairly usual for other groups to start translating stuff they were already working on, or for the project to be officially licensed because it got popular fast. My favorite example of those was Spice & Wolf, which had the one episode released just for every other translation group out there to also release theirs simultaneously because it turned to be super popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Another goon translation project that is worth mentioning is the SA-GCCX people, who (up to very recently) translated the Japanese game show with comedian Arino. They did an amazing, consistent job for several years.

The thread is still up in the Retro forum.

Mandoric posted:

There was also a separate effort in the late '00s. Macross Frontier, Shin Mazinger, I don't recall if there was anything else but I'd imagine there was.

Most likely, yes. Goon projects used to come and go in the blink of an eye.