Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sometimes the typesetting and/or cleaning or even just the English being super bare bones (... almost definitely MTL with no proofreading, lol) pisses me off so bad I want to just Photoshop up the lovely scanlation and rerelease it under some jerk rear end name like 'slightly less than zero effort scans' but that's too much effort. maybe if i had more free time in my life and a less lovely computer. also it's kind of mean although some of these MTL mspaint guys are actually worse than just feeding a raw into Google lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's definitely such a thing as taking too long though lol. also it's funny how many scanlators have credit pages begging for more volunteers but then demand experience. bro nobody needs experience to typeset, just a list of fonts you're using and diligence. it's a basic Photoshop skill

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe I'm some kind of crazy person but i skip mtl. every time lol. only if I absolutely have to and if it's only a chapter or two and nobody else released one for that chapter, which often happens in-between one scanlation group dying or randomly dropping a series and a new one grabbing it. if a series is mostly or only MTL i just don't read it. so 'lapping' the real scanlators does nothing. maybe there's a lot of serious weebs out there who don't care and are used to having to mtl stuff for themselves or something, idk. but i have better poo poo to do with my day than puzzle out some garbled AI bullshit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are they the keikaku means plan people

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

im gonna need one of you former scanlators to explain what compels people to do stuff like this lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look i totally get using Japanese words when something in English isn't specific enough, or doesn't have the same connotations, or whatever.

but it doesn't make any sense to write baka instead of stupid and then explain that yes, it means stupid and that character said stupid couple lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like in general if whatever you wrote requires a TL note and it's not a direct cultural reference like they mentioned a tv show or an idiom with no close equivalent or something, you have extremely severely hosed up somewhere in most cases

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

same scanlators as the last one. im just gonna use this as my clueless scanlator punching bag thread. my brother in Christ, we have the same thing in America. you're just a clueless weeb.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow0 posted:

Wait, what? I have never heard of such a thing.

Huh.

Is this really something only clueless weebs don't know about? Are jocks hanging out in the toy aisles at stores these days? XD

Personally, I'd rather have too many translator notes than too few. Like this one - I like this one, I learned a thing.

On the other hand,

Back on the first hand though, it's pretty funny and pretty harmless imo.

There's also the other extreme. You can just remove all references to Japan!

I spent so, so much of my childhood trying to understand how these were donuts.

it's not like those kind of decoration pens are common but the translator just assumed it was a Japan thing which is why he's an idiot. they're not so uncommon that you need to explain what confectioner's tools are, most people just haven't used one. in a similar vein that guy kept writing it as 'choco' even when he has room to use chocolate and i don't know what's going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could almost respect it if they actually translated portmanteaus but a certain kind of scanlator thinks the concept is unique to Japan for some reason so we get poo poo like that instead lol.