Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've found myself translating some manga related to a mobage that I play (well it's Chinese not Japanese but whatever) in both a fan and an official capacity and the differences between the two are pretty night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spoggerific posted:

The endless torrent of lovely releases with zero effort and no quality control that still got tons of downloads was something that fansub groups complained about a lot. It seemed like people had no eye for quality whatsoever, and would just immediately download whatever released first. This is probably one of the (many) things that contributed to the decline of fansubbing; nobody wants to spend hours making a quality product for free if it won't be appreciated, and some rear end in a top hat (or later, some streaming service) who shits something out 2 hours earlier gets all the recognition.

I know exactly the kind of person you mean. I have a speedscanner nemesis too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I usually got my scanlations out within the week for a monthly series, it's just that Speedscans McGee can pop out a garbled MTL mess within 2 hours of release and lodge his terrible 'translation' in the consciousness of the readers and suddenly the whole fanbase is talking nonsense before you even have time to finish translating. It's stuff like that that leads to easy burnout, you can't beat them at their own game while still keeping quality.