Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It works, but I gotta say I can't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, definitively. Mostly active between about 2002 and 200..6? Had their own website (long archived), final projects in 2010.

There was also a separate effort in the late '00s. Macross Frontier, Shin Mazinger, I don't recall if there was anything else but I'd imagine there was.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Spoggerific posted:

I started studying Japanese in 2010, mostly so I could read/watch manga and anime on my own, but I also had aspirations to eventually become a fansubber. After a couple years of studying, I applied to a group and got in as a QC/editor. I stayed for a while, made some friends, and learned a lot, both about Japanese and fansubbing. I eventually got assigned a show as the main TL, and was excited to finally do some Real Translation.

It was a complete disaster. I knew enough Japanesee to watch and enjoy anime without subtitles, but I didn't know enough to understand all the dialogue in a show, though I didn't really realize this until I had to do it. I ended up spending like 6 hours translating the first episode, and later ones took nearly as long. I also had to get a ton of help from translators from other groups. By the end of the show I was completely burnt out from the weekly effort and anxiety that came with being in way, way over my head.

The group fell apart a few months later due to drama and internal power struggles, as all fansub groups are fated to eventually. My (mostly) failed attempt at translating a show wasn't a direct contributor, but it might have hastened the end. I was bummed at the time to lose most of my fansubbing friends, but looking back at IRC logs now, the whole situation was actually really stupid and kind of funny.

Still, I'm glad I went through the experience. It made me realize that translating is more than just knowing two languages; it takes writing skill in the target language just as much, if not more than, knowledge of the source language. I've since moved to Japan and gotten a job at a webdev company in the country, so I'm still using the language, and I've done some translation (both at work and in private) since then, but I'm glad I didn't decide to pursue it as a career.

The bright side is that if you do understand all the dialog in a show it is also the same.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

sometimes the typesetting and/or cleaning or even just the English being super bare bones (... almost definitely MTL with no proofreading, lol) pisses me off so bad I want to just Photoshop up the lovely scanlation and rerelease it under some jerk rear end name like 'slightly less than zero effort scans' but that's too much effort. maybe if i had more free time in my life and a less lovely computer. also it's kind of mean although some of these MTL mspaint guys are actually worse than just feeding a raw into Google lens

shitpost in releases, please, it's been sorrowfully missing since like 2011.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Clarste posted:

Frankly they are weak for not going for the full "bakouple".

There's only one way to face a Japanese-generated half-English compound with honor, and that's by translating both sides.
    ぷうぷ
Give us stu夫婦.