Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
On the first day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, and Dutton leading the LNP.

On the second day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the third day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the forth day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, Four Victorian level crossing closures occurring by 2025, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the fifth day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, Four Victorian level crossing closures occurring by 2025, Five new Climate Change Friendly board members at AGL, and Dutton leading the LNP

Ho ho ho!

Death is Certain! But optimism is healthy!

And a happy new year to all Goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bill

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Time to kill the annoying poll.

This one??

https://twitter.com/kamil_grabara1/status/1599138058653212675

Hard to disagree tbh, extremely disrespectful to Mat Ryan from a guy who couldn’t get off the bench

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Let West Coast, Best Coast sit forever on this first page.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
antony green sucks, chess master kevin bonham supremacy

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
when are we getting the victorian election thread???

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

drunkill posted:

when are we getting the victorian election thread???

the polls were exaggerated and it turns out any chance of a victorian election thread was largely imagined by matthew guy's chief of staff

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anidav posted:

On the first day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, and Dutton leading the LNP.

On the second day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the third day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the forth day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, Four Victorian level crossing closures occurring by 2025, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the fifth day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, Four Victorian level crossing closures occurring by 2025, Five new Climate Change Friendly board members at AGL, and Dutton leading the LNP

Ho ho ho!

Death is Certain! But optimism is healthy!

And a happy new year to all Goons!

You realise there are 12 days of Christmas right? What kind of half assed OP is this?

You could have used the new Teal MPs for one of the entries.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

hooman posted:

Let West Coast, Best Coast sit forever on this first page.

Sorry bub its greenslander territory

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
*banging desk* NEW POLL NEW POLL NEW POLL

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That's a pretty nice OP Anidav. Even if I don't think that's how that song works

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The LNP sold 7 days of Christmas before the election to make their budget deficit look better :capitalism:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dsriggs posted:

The LNP sold 7 days of Christmas before the election to make their budget deficit look better :capitalism:

So isn’t the normal thing to do in that situation to just hire the other 7 days as independent contractors and pay them more?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The Lord Bude posted:

You realise there are 12 days of Christmas right? What kind of half assed OP is this?

You could have used the new Teal MPs for one of the entries.

Well you see yesterday was the fifth of December and...five days?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If the removal of four Victorian level crossings means more Australians/Victorians/Melbournians then it is the shittiest xmas ever.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

No poll, voted 1

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

looking forward to a very covid christmas this year

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Has there been any good news for the LNP this year?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In news that shocks nobody.

Guardian live blog posted:

Royal commission into robodebt scheme continues
Luke Henriques-Gomes

Damning new evidence presented to the royal commission shows government lawyers warned officials the robodebt scheme may have to be wound up in March 2019, eight months before it was finally stopped.

The March 2019 draft legal advice from the Australian government solicitor was prepared in response to a legal challenge brought by Madeleine Masterton and Victoria Legal Aid. The advice said Masterton had very good prospects of success in her case, because the “income averaging” method central to robodebt was not consistent with the social security act. It noted that while it was commenting on Masterton’s case, the AGS was “conscious it had broader implications”. Yet rather than winding up the scheme or pausing it while the solicitor-general opinion was sought, the Department of Human Services wiped Masterton’s debt two months later, as Guardian Australia revealed at the time. This left Masterton with no case, forcing VLA to find a new plaintiff, which it eventually did. This plaintiff, Deana Amato, won the case in November. Documents shown to the royal commission show the Department of Human Services had wiped Masterton’s debt because it did not want the federal court to make a determination about the legality of the robodebt scheme.

The royal commission was shown an email from DHS chief counsel Tim Ffrench to top DHS official Annette Musolino and compliance general manager Craig Storen. Storen told the royal commission he didn’t necessary know that this advice would mean the scheme would have to stop. The advice wasn’t to me. I was copied into it. I was aware of the general thrust of the advice … I was aware that there was then processes in place to seek a firmer Commonwealth position on the legality of apportionment. Storen was then shown a part of the advice which noted it had “broader implications” beyond the Masterton case. Storen said later he understood the government needed to “consider its position more broadly”. “The Commonwealth was yet to determine its position on where it wanted to take the delivery of the program,” he said.

The royal commission continues.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anidav posted:

Well you see yesterday was the fifth of December and...five days?

I see so you’re going to add to it each day?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Budzilla posted:

Has there been any good news for the LNP this year?

Dutton ran his biannual "I'm actually a really nice person when you get to know me" piece in Fairfax

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Tim Ffrench

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-06/qld-scott-morrison-robodebt-scheme-royal-commission-response/101740406

The gift that keeps giving.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
fRaNk AnD fEaRlEsS aDvIcE

Guardian AU Blog posted:

A former Department of Social Services official has told a royal commission he was “directed” to water down legal concerns about the robodebt scheme when the policy was been designed in early 2015.

Andrew Whitecross, a former mid-level official at DSS, had been involved in commenting on what became the initial plan for the robodebt scheme that was briefed to the then social services minister Scott Morrison.

The royal commission heard Whitecross and a colleague, Murray Kimber, had fiercely criticised the proposal in January 2015, questioning its legality and fairness as well as the estimated budget savings.

But Whitecross said he was told to water down those concerns by his boss, acting deputy secretary, Catherine Halbert, before the feedback was passed onto the Department of Human Services (DHS), which was formulating the plan.

Whitecross claimed Halbert had said she had spoken to her counterpart at DHS, Malisa Golightly, who had “expressed her concerns about the strength of DSS’ comments”.

“She [Halbert] wanted me to tone down the comments that Murray had provided in his response,” Whitecross said.

“I took it as a direction,” Whitecross added. “We had a disagreement in the conversation about that. I believed the policy wasn’t well developed and lacked merit … and we should be fairly forceful in communicating that.”

Whitecross subsequently provided new comments that watered down the advice, though his revisions still noted the robodebt plan would need legislative change.

Those proposals were sent to Morrison in February 2015 after being finalised by Golightly and the secretary of the department, Kathryn Campbell.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
Former crown prosecutor loses appeal over Nazi salute to German charity worker

quote:

In his appeal to the Supreme Court, Mr Jacobs denied that the comments were racist, saying he had no way of knowing he was German.

Although he acknowledged he spoke with an accent, Mr Jacobs said if he had to place it, he "may have gone and picked Dutch".

Instead, he claimed he performed the salute because Mr Seidenspinner's behaviour at the lift "reminded him of an SS officer as portrayed in the movies".

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
hi auspol

https://twitter.com/knausc/status/1600716983125045248?t=2v1VGQiaxNEJ6ZAgn5R74g&s=19

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Ahh yes noted followers of covid rules those SS officers

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
i wish it was recorded. i bet he popped back on his heels, threw his arm up and had this big poo poo eating grin afterwards

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's very funny to see the DPP and the Police leaking against each other regarding the Higgins stuff. Just completely unprofessional behaviour on all sides

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lol:

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/dpp-cops-at-war-over-bruce-lehrmann-trial/news-story/b35ecbf9a81085bb3b7157628a5010bc

quote:

DPP, cops at war over Bruce Lehrmann trial

The Australian Federal Police Association is calling for a judicial inquiry into the Bruce Lehrmann mistrial amid the outbreak of open warfare between the cops and the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Accusing the DPP Shane Drumgold of attempting to “smear” the AFP, the police union President Alex Caruana said that a full judicial inquiry is an absolute necessity in the wake of an explosive letter in which Canberra’s top prosecutors accused police of “interference in the criminal justice process” and ask police not to contact Brittany Higgins.

“If Mr Drumgold and the Attorney-General want to conduct a judicial inquiry, so be it,” he said.

He complained the letter from the ACT DPP, released under Freedom of Information laws, “to our knowledge, has no redactions, and it includes personal details of officers involved in the investigation. ACT Policing was not consulted on the release of information and its members’ details”.

“The AFPA will make a formal complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commission and the ACT Ombudsman regarding the possibility of FOI breaches and misconduct by the Director of Public Prosecutions,” he said.

“If the brief didn’t contain enough evidence and there were legitimate concerns about how what evidence was there was obtained, then why did he continue with the trial? Mr Drumgold needs to explain this.”

Just days after leaked documents revealed that police complained of political pressure over the decision to charge former Liberal staffer Bruce Lehrmann, a letter Mr Drumgold wrote to the ACT police chief Neil Gaughan, on November 1 emerged.

“I am of the view that at the conclusion of the trial, there should be a public enquiry into both political and police conduct in this matter,” the DPP wrote.

“There has now been over one-and-a-half years of consistent and inappropriate interference by investigators, firstly directed towards my independence with a very clear campaign to pressure me to agree with the investigators’ desire not to charge, then during the conduct of this trial itself, and finally attempting to influence any decision on a retrial.

“Then when charges resulted, the [investigators’] interests have clearly aligned with the successful defence of this matter rather than its prosecution,’’ he said.

Mr Lehrmann, who has always maintained his innocence, pleaded not guilty to the charge and is now pursuing “legal remedies” including defamation against media outlets.

In the DPP’s extraordinary letter, he also accuses police of “bullying” Ms Higgins and asks in the letter that police not contact Ms Higgins or other witnesses.

“This includes no further contact with defence or other prosecution witnesses, no contact with the complainant, and prohibiting attendance at court beyond formal evidence if required,” he wrote.

The letter was first obtained by The Guardian under freedom of information laws.

During the trial the tensions between the DPP and police became increasingly evident with the prosecutor telling the jury during his closing that Ms Higgins was “right to be scared” about handing her life over to police.

Police were also observed by journalists regularly meeting with Mr Lehrmann’s defence team during breaks in proceedings but rarely engaging with the DPP.

The letter does not suggest any complaints with the conduct of Mr Lehrmann’s defence team, only the conduct of police.

News.com.au also reported over the weekend that Ms Higgins complained police had unlawfully sent her private medical records to the original defence team.

In the correspondence the DPP complains that “key AFP members have had a strong desire for this matter not to proceed to charge”.

A spokesperson for ACT Policing confirmed that an “inquiry was underway in relation to this matter”.

“As such it would be inappropriate to provide any further comment in relation to any aspects surrounding this matter including commentary about the letter from the ACT DPP,” the spokesperson said.

“ACT Policing will continue to work cooperatively with the Office of DPP to ensure the safety and security of the Canberra community.”

Mr Drumgold told the police chief about “serious concerns I hold with what I perceive as some quite clear investigator interference in the criminal justice process”.

The letter also reveals Drumgold’s concerns that Higgins had felt pressured and bullied by police.

“The complainant has long expressed concerns that during the investigation stage, she also felt bullied by police, who she felt were pressuring her into discontinuing the complaint,” Mr Drumgold wrote.

“This is an observation corroborated by at least two of her support people. Although this is a matter for her to raise directly with the AFP, it is relevant for our purposes as it impacted the trial process, as she presented as highly anxious in dealing with either the police or by extension, the DPP.”

As a result, Ms Higgins began communicating with police via the victims of crime commissioner, Heidi Yates.

The DPP writes that the police then sought to make the Victims of Crime Commissioner a witness by asking her “highly unusual” questions in a formal interview.

“On 2 October 2021, I received a letter from yourself, stating that because she was now a witness, the AFP could no longer communicate through her,” he said. “This was a highly unusual step as the complainant was also a witness, yet police still had extensive contact with her until she requested all contact be made through the Victim of Crime Commissioner.”

The release of the DPP’s letter follows a report in The Weekend Australian that revealed police had concerns about the prospects of a conviction if the matter proceeded to trial and the mental health of the complainant.

Over the weekend, Mr Drumgold raised concerns the leak of the police notes was possibly “unlawful” and called for an investigation into the matter.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
There's a chance Mr Drumgold has an "accident" isn't there

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ACAB, always and forever

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Imagine publically, even gleefully demonstrating that you, the federal police force, is willing to act in a shamelessly partisan fashion, potentially casting doubt over the motivations behind any decision regarding the investigation of politicians over the past decade; over a liberal backbencher that nobody would have heard of or given a poo poo about, and whom the party could have easily distanced themselves from without suffering significant reputational damage, as demonstrated repeatedly by the ALP and the Greens?

Just imagine!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don Dongington posted:

Imagine publically, even gleefully demonstrating that you, the federal police force, is willing to act in a shamelessly partisan fashion, potentially casting doubt over the motivations behind any decision regarding the investigation of politicians over the past decade; over a liberal backbencher that nobody would have heard of or given a poo poo about, and whom the party could have easily distanced themselves from without suffering significant reputational damage, as demonstrated repeatedly by the ALP and the Greens?

Just imagine!

He wasn't even as much as a back bencher, he was a junior party staffer

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean, if I wanted to give somebody sufficient ammunition to tee off a royal commission into whether political bias came into play into several key decisions not to investigate the actions of former Morrison government cabinet ministers, that's certainly a way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cops are dumb thugs as a rule and completely used to having absolutely no repercussions for their actions, the media universally just not reporting on their actions in anything but the most glowing sense no matter how heinous and all.

They are not in any way prepared for and have no idea how to response to even the slightest change in the discourse that puts their actions under even casual scrutiny. They're going to double down hamfistedly, because it's the only thing they know how to do.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're going to double down hamfistedly, because it's the only thing they know how to do.

hambeetedly, even

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm not sure if i'm reading between the lines properly, this is about the AFP being the paramilitary wing of the liberal party again isn't it?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm not sure if i'm reading between the lines properly, this is about the AFP being the paramilitary wing of the liberal party again isn't it?

*loud AFP raiding sounds*

What are you talking about, the AFP isn't the paramilitary wing of the LNP!

Now to not post or be seen for months for entirely unrelated reasons that I am legally unable to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Big loving lol at the Murdoch media's ongoing campaign against Andrews, prediction of a wipeout, absolute confidence that there'd be a voter backlash against lockdowns etc, and the end result was...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/08/victorian-labor-could-surpass-2018-danslide-after-claiming-victory-in-pakenham

...Labor increased its majority.