Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

P sure most of the people successfully living here made a choice to come.

Home Affairs: Try not to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

Home Affairs: Try not to come

Sensible chuckle

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Can someone with a Fairfax sub post this article so I can see whether they bother interviewing anyone who might like to live in an affordable apartment, or just the local boomer NIMBYs

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/the-five-suburbs-set-to-climb-sky-high-with-the-suburban-rail-loop-20231227-p5etu0.html?btis=

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

freebooter posted:

Can someone with a Fairfax sub post this article so I can see whether they bother interviewing anyone who might like to live in an affordable apartment, or just the local boomer NIMBYs

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/the-five-suburbs-set-to-climb-sky-high-with-the-suburban-rail-loop-20231227-p5etu0.html?btis=

Fairfax has the worst paywall on the face of the earth. If you’ve got a decent ad blocker installed you can just read as many articles as you want by opening them in a private browsing tab. If you use safari with the Wipr ad blocker the paywall straight up doesn’t work at all and you can just read whatever you want.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

both times i've been on unemployment i've found my own job without the jsa's help and both time they were trying to get stuff off me like details for the job and payslips once i started and i refused (as was my right, i checked). 100% certain they were going to use that to try and take credit.

Being on Centrelink is a full time job. It's loving stupid. They expect me, a 37yo that's been FT Employed for 20 years to do a 5 day, full time course on job applications.

How about you take aaaaaaaall the money we spend on these nothing-courses, the websites, the planning and everything else, and just give it to the unemployed people

Taking a week off my casual job to do this dumb course will cost me more money than it will ever net me.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Laserface posted:

Being on Centrelink is a full time job. It's loving stupid. They expect me, a 37yo that's been FT Employed for 20 years to do a 5 day, full time course on job applications.

How about you take aaaaaaaall the money we spend on these nothing-courses, the websites, the planning and everything else, and just give it to the unemployed people

Taking a week off my casual job to do this dumb course will cost me more money than it will ever net me.

The point isn't to help you, it's to funnel money to LNP donors and punish you for daring to be unemployed

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
JSAs only get paid after a person has been unemployed for a certain amount of time - was it 12 weeks??? It’s a bit of a zombie industry though and really needs to be taken out behind the shed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

freebooter posted:

quote:

Towering housing and office blocks would be built directly above Suburban Rail Loop East stations, and the surrounding streets would become unrecognisable hubs for apartments and jobs under a detailed vision of how the $34.5 billion project proposes to reshape Melbourne’s skyline.

A “draft precinct vision” released for community consultation on SRL East’s first stage – an underground railway between Cheltenham and Box Hill – provides the clearest picture yet of how things would change. By 2056, it is predicted there will be twice as many residents and jobs crammed into a 1600-metre radius around each of the six new stations.

Stations will be built in the suburbs of Cheltenham, Burwood, Glen Waverley and Box Hill and there will be two in Clayton, including one at Monash University.

The new maps and documents will underpin more detailed precinct plans early next year. The draft shows – down to the street level – where blocks of high-density development will likely be allowed, split into three area categories: significant change, higher change and medium change.

They do not name a specific height requirement for each area, however artist impressions and picture book-style illustrations from the plans show how each zone “could look and feel like in the future”.

The drawings suggest towers of about 20 storeys in Clayton, Box Hill, Monash and Glen Waverley’s significant change areas, eight storeys in higher-change areas and double or triple-storey townhouses in medium-change areas.
The draft shows possible areas of high-density development split into three categories.

The draft shows possible areas of high-density development split into three categories.

Plans for the stations at Burwood and Cheltenham show smaller towers would be proposed in their densest sections, about half the height of other precincts.

The vision for Clayton maps out a significant change zone covering either side of Clayton Road, north of Clayton station and connecting to the Monash Medical Centre. The area is now mostly occupied by single and double-storey shops, restaurants and detached homes.

Higher change development, which could be up to eight stories high based on the illustrations, stretches out along Clayton Road, Centre Road, and North Road.

That area will “concentrate the densest opportunities for employment in a mixed-use neighbourhood that will include taller buildings and upgraded public spaces” and will “enable quality social and affordable housing and well-designed student and key worker accommodation close to Monash University and hospitals in both Clayton and Monash”, the vision says.

Sanan Shaana owns Jessie’s Pizza on Clayton Road, part of a small shopping strip that will be bulldozed to make way for the new Clayton underground station. Under the draft vision, the single and double-storey shopfronts would be replaced by high rises.

The Suburban Rail Loop Authority bought the building from Shaana’s previous landlord and has given him until March to leave.

Shaana – who has worked in the pizza shop for 22 years and bought the business in 2009 – said he couldn’t afford the $100,000 needed to lease and fit-out a new store. He has sold his house because he won’t be able to cover his mortgage payments when his business shuts.

“Sometimes I can’t sleep, I’m just thinking, ‘March is coming, what can I do after? How can I manage?’” he said. “They’re stealing my business in front of my eyes. I’ll lose everything.”

A government spokesperson said Jessie’s Pizza was eligible for support via planning advice and business mentoring – but not financial compensation because he was on a year-to-year lease.

“We are working closely with owners and tenants and aim to minimise acquisition, however delivering this city-shaping project means that some impacts are unfortunately unavoidable,” the spokesperson said.

On Madeleine Road, a suburban street on the border of Clayton’s proposed significant change area, about half-a-dozen freestanding houses acquired for the project are already vacant and boarded up, awaiting demolition.

Residents said that while they knew about the new underground station being built, they had no idea that high-rise apartment buildings could follow.
Clayton resident Leila Mercado said she was not aware that high rises would be built in here area alongside the rail loop.

Clayton resident Leila Mercado said she was not aware that high rises would be built in here area alongside the rail loop.Credit: Luis Ascui

“I was shocked because I’ve been getting letters and there’s been people from the Suburban Rail Loop here talking about what’s going to happen with the plans and the route where the train is going,” said Leila Mercado, who has lived with her adult children on Madeleine Road for about three years. “But they never ever said anything about apartments.”

Mercado predicted many residents would move out if there was significant development in the area.

The authority’s draft vision for Glen Waverley details a swathe of high-density commercial buildings along Snedden Drive, south of High Street Road. It has also been proposed to provide corridors of green space and bike paths in the surrounding streets to support this high-rise hub.

Monash Mayor Nicky Luo said the council was reviewing the draft precinct documents for the four stations in its boundaries and would make a submission in early 2024.

Tunneling will start on a 16km stretch of the Suburban Rail Loop in 2026.

“Whilst this transformational project has the support of council, we have previously expressed reservations about the precinct planning process, in particular the provision of planning powers to the Suburban Rail Loop Authority, the size and intensity of development and impacts on existing neighbourhoods,” she said.

“It is important that planning for these precincts focuses development and density in appropriate areas around the SRL station precincts.”

Whitehorse Mayor Denise Massoud said the council had been advocating for broader community consultation and for the authority to enter a “collaborative partnership” with it for plans at Burwood and Box Hill. She said the council wanted to “ensure the plans reflect local community needs and give due consideration to open space, environment, amenity, liveability and our local economy”.

RMIT Centre for Urban Research director Professor Jago Dodson said the Suburban Rail Loop Authority would have planning powers over station precincts alongside laws allowing for levies, charges and financial deals that would help their goal of funding a third of the project through value capture.

“One would assume that they’ll be using those [powers], to the full extent they can to maximise the benefit of development,” he said.

“The question will really be when it comes to the actual physical built environment that’s being developed and the extent to which residents have input into those processes.

“I don’t think they’re going to quite achieve the notion of Hong Kong or Shanghai-style concentrated development around the station in the very short term. The prospect of that kind of scale of development or that typology of development is a very, very long-term pattern.”

Dodson said the authority would have a say in as much as half of the residential area in some areas.

“Giving it to a separate planning body that doesn’t have direct democratic input from the electorate – that’s a pretty substantial change,” he said.

Opposition planning spokesman James Newbury said the SRL precincts were being used to “take a wrecking ball through our suburbs”.

“The solution to the housing crisis is a proper plan for our state’s future, not taking away local planning decisions and imposing high-rise towers right across our communities,” he said.

Consultation on the draft vision has received more than 1000 responses so far.

An authority spokeswoman said: “The Suburban Rail Loop will shape how Melbourne grows – extensive feedback from the community and careful planning will ensure this project transforms our public transport system for the better.

“The areas around SRL stations will be vibrant communities, close to jobs and services – and we have begun the planning process to make sure these communities maintain their existing neighbourhood character while increasing housing choices to meet demand.”

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ah yes, Box Hill, Glen Waverly and Monash - notable for not having any large buildings already.

Sounds good to me.

Plans for the stations at Burwood and Cheltenham show smaller towers would be proposed in their densest sections, about half the height of other precincts.

These two could be more interesting depending on how they end up but the others are already pretty large hubs.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

By 2056, it is predicted there will be twice as many residents and jobs crammed into a 1600-metre radius around each of the six new stations.

Lmao. The year is 2056: climate change wildfires are sweeping the countryside, China is a fascist ethnostate superpower annexing its neighbours, local warlords are seizing the nuclear stockpile of a collapsed and balkanized Russia. But the real issue of our time is that the 1.6km radius around Cheltenham has doubled in population, and the residents are simply crammed - CRAMMED, I tell you! - and with the jobs to match!

quote:

“I don’t think they’re going to quite achieve the notion of Hong Kong or Shanghai-style concentrated development around the station in the very short term. The prospect of that kind of scale of development or that typology of development is a very, very long-term pattern.”

For gently caress's sake, this is so obviously a response to an email question from the Age that namedropped Hong Kong and Shanghai, there is no loving way an academic raised them of his own accord.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

freebooter posted:

China is a fascist ethnostate superpower annexing its neighbours

The loving fever dreams of a diseased Australian mind. The yellow peril is not coming to get you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The loving fever dreams of a diseased Australian mind. The yellow peril is not coming to get you.

I agree, we aren't neighbours.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Only because they're too busy genociding their own citizens.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Only because they're too busy genociding their own citizens.

This was literally never true and as soon as it was obvious that the US wasn't going to be able to make inroads into formenting ethnic conflict it was dropped as the extremely obvious psy-op it was.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This was literally never true and as soon as it was obvious that the US wasn't going to be able to make inroads into formenting ethnic conflict it was dropped as the extremely obvious psy-op it was.

Choo! Choo! Tankie train comin thru!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
At least we haven't been annexed by The Chinese Ethnostate, I say as we become a vassal state to the USA.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
wait werent we team ethnostate the whole time?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

At least we haven't been annexed by The Chinese Ethnostate, I say as we become a vassal state to the USA.

Democratic and multicultural America is gradually sliding towards fascism with the ascendancy of Donald Trump - that's why there's no difference between the USA and China, a country which has already been fascist for half a century

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So, you're pretending the Uyghurs aren't people, then?

Bold move.

freebooter posted:

Choo! Choo! Tankie train comin thru!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, you're pretending the Uyghurs aren't people, then?

Bold move.

No, I'm saying they never faced genocide by the PRC. The Chinese did exactly what they said they were doing, teaching people various trades and a second language to remove barriers to employment and revitalise the economy of Xinjiang. And it worked. Not even ASPI is bothering to peddle Xinjiang stories now.

Lessening the divide between city and country is good, actually.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 28, 2023

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Choo choooooooooooooooo!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

freebooter posted:

Did you just deny a CIA narrative, my dude!?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, I'm saying they never faced genocide by the PRC. The Chinese did exactly what they said they were doing, teaching people various trades and a second language to remove barriers to employment and revitalise the economy of Xinjiang. And it worked. Not even ASPI is bothering to peddle Xinjiang stories now.

"Cultural genocide is for their own good."

- forum's user WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

There wasn't a cultural genocide. No one was prevented from speaking their own language, or practicing their culture or religion. The fact that previously terrorism in Xinjiang took the form largely of random knife attacks, an attack that is impossible to prevent from occurring through surveillance and control, and there has now not been a single attack for almost a decade shows that the ethnic tensions were largely due to economic hardship and inequality between Han migrants and Uyghur locals. Addressing these conditions in a systemic way is so obviously the correct method to ending both terrorism and inequality.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever you say, comrade.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Whatever 4 US weapons contractors in an akubra say, lib

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'actually, total cultural assimilation under threat of force is cool and fine' - a real post i have to read with my eye balls in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty three

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Holy poo poo.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yeah man all those Uighurs in Australia who continue to be harassed by CCP agents here in Australia are just liars man, they're just 'bridging the gap' or whatever tankie brain disease makes you think

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sorry but China definitely committed crimes against humanity in Xinjiang because they hate Muslims. I welcome any international comparisons of state morality to excuse this.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
drat I think that's more apologetic than the literal CCP's rhetoric

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Addressing these conditions in a systemic way is so obviously the correct method to ending both terrorism and inequality.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Chinese did exactly what they said they were doing, teaching people various trades and a second language to remove barriers to employment and revitalise the economy of Xinjiang.

Work for the dole but from the left

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The aboriginal missions and stolen generations were actually teaching people various trades and a second language to remove barriers to employment and revitalise the economy of Xinjiang Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I've been to Xinjiang and I can confirm that everyone was smiling at me.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I've been to Xinjiang and I can confirm that everyone was smiling at me.

you’re able to reach the Mandate of Heaven on tiptoes tho

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Not allowed to photograph the area though. If you get caught taking pictures of literally anything the police will walk up to you and ask you to delete them immediately. Even if, like me, it was a bird photo.

I would imagine Tibet has similar restrictions though I'm yet to go there.

If it were just good willed education going on over there surely I could've kept my bird photo? :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Can we please have a “No tankies” thread rule please because hooooooly poo poo that posting by the tankie is cringe as hell

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
We do.

The CSPAM AusPol thread was made specifically for the pro-genocide crowd, to keep their bullshit out of this thread.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

There's also a bunch of examples of this "language education" screening straight up abolishing a shared language, in service of imposing cultural dominace. Bunch of aboriginal languages went extinct due to the stolen generation schools and labour camps not being allowed to speak anything but English.

It's not a loving French Immersion Baccalaureate degree

Tommy George, terminant speaker of Gugu Thaypan, only died like seven years ago, this poo poo has happened, happens, and will happen all over the world all the time and it's an easily recognisable process

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Even us feckless Irish almost got it beaten out of us, and it only became not cool to do that after the Troubles

Instead of the actress Saoirse Ronan she'd be called like ... Sarah

Man Bobby Sands is probably awoken from his grave to trudge the sea floor and walk from Dublin to Canberra to kill me for making such a glib joke. Ring style. Phone rings : "saith diwrnod, chi fekken slob"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 29, 2023