Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

freebooter posted:

Big loving lol at the Murdoch media's ongoing campaign against Andrews, prediction of a wipeout, absolute confidence that there'd be a voter backlash against lockdowns etc, and the end result was...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/08/victorian-labor-could-surpass-2018-danslide-after-claiming-victory-in-pakenham

...Labor increased its majority.

This is just a sign that they needed to attack Dictator Dan harder on stuff that the majority of the state was both in favour of, and over the hardships of more than a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/KenMcAlpine/status/1600248471457796096?s=20&t=FrlMRqO0N2hrlzPEU07mug

have you considered putting the lnp on the blockchain

edit: jesus

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tulip Market Courses:
Tulip Bulb Certificate
Masters of Bulb Trading
Certificate for Bulbs for Business Development

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Has anyone here used Alternaleaf, or otherwise obtained a prescription for cannabis?

Also if anyone's keeping track of anecdata I got covid for the first time this week and it loving sucked. Like being hit by a goddam freight train.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Monash is offering some kind of masters of entrepreneurship type thing as well. With various mentions of blockchain sprinkled into the marketing

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Blockchain has applications outside cryptocoin, especially in supply chain.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Electric Wrigglies posted:

When you use it outside of the cryptocoin bullshit you can probably use the name it was given in the 70s - Merkle tree

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

In the supply chain context, what's the difference between 'blockchain' and any other distributed database software that we all agree to use? Like I just make my SQL DB API accessible to anyone I want. Why is ETH better?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ranter posted:

Why is ETH better?

Web3, metaverse, blockchain, NFT. Future, tesla, AI, bots, #nowork

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

norp posted:

When you use it outside of the cryptocoin bullshit you can probably use the name it was given in the 70s - Merkle tree

Come now, using up to date marketing speak is not exactly unheard of. Literally Merkle tree is used in bitcoin so imma gonna go ahead and hazard a guess that Merkle tree is part of the syllabus.

Ranter posted:

In the supply chain context, what's the difference between 'blockchain' and any other distributed database software that we all agree to use? Like I just make my SQL DB API accessible to anyone I want. Why is ETH better?

I would probably have to take a Merkle tree course or some other course that provides education in electronic tokens, hash tag tech etc to give a good answer. I hear RMIT offers something like that.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How many tens/hundreds of thousands are y'all in rn? Why can't you answer a simple question with a simple answer?

tl;dr you're in deep lol

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

norp posted:

Merkin tree

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ranter posted:

How many tens/hundreds of thousands are y'all in rn? Why can't you answer a simple question with a simple answer?

tl;dr you're in deep lol

The only thing I know about blockchain is a course run by our BI team with Boston Consulting Group on digital revolution. I was busy with other stuff so didn't attend a lot but it ranged from blockchain, machine learning, data warehousing, cloud architecture and virtual software provision, data analytics, etc.

I am so afraid of investment that I don't even own exchange traded funds or shares of any kind let alone bitcoin. Instead, my industry fund super and an entirely inappropriate amount of cash sitting in a commbank account.

TLDR, you guessed wrong.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Has anyone here used Alternaleaf, or otherwise obtained a prescription for cannabis?

Also if anyone's keeping track of anecdata I got covid for the first time this week and it loving sucked. Like being hit by a goddam freight train.

I use polln for my prescription weed

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The GBS thread has about a million goons who've been prescribed it. Ask there and I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you anything you want to know.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Tbh most academics care less their University about separating a fool from their money than they do about successive governments gutting funding for research, which is one of the primary means of actually improving the status of a university.

That and university management finding new and improved ways to avoid spending on OpEx, aka wages, so they can build more joint venture vanity projects to suck up to billionaire capitalists who then use the tax offsets to fund more donations to the Liberal Party, who gut funding from research

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cops are dumb thugs as a rule and completely used to having absolutely no repercussions for their actions, the media universally just not reporting on their actions in anything but the most glowing sense no matter how heinous and all.

They are not in any way prepared for and have no idea how to response to even the slightest change in the discourse that puts their actions under even casual scrutiny. They're going to double down hamfistedly, because it's the only thing they know how to do.

:hmmyes:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Brittany Higgins case is effectively becoming a rapists charter. Deny, Dely, Obfiscate and drive the victimn into hiding. I previously asserted that the main way to judge this government would be what they did towards dismantaling the toxic shark tank that is Home Affairs. The whole organisation reeks of cronism and bull boy culture.

Crypto currrency is not fit for purpose:

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2022/05/04/cryptocurrency-energy/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenElec/status/1601685804719362049

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
gently caress him up antony

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The thing about blockchain solutions is that they are absurdly expensive for the things they do. Bitcoin requires the energy output of a midsize nation to make transactions to a single ledger. it only took off because it was designed to be a digital gold mine as a proof of concept and people live gold rushes so much they will jump on a entirely made up one. You could create a similar system by just having asymmetric keys in publicly discoverable self hosted ledgers at a fraction of the cost. Heck you could implement a ton more features based off that.

And its only theoretical upside, zero trust, is only internal to the system, which acts more like a flaw then a benefit. It literally cant function without independent arbitration anyway, as the pile of scams shows.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/_ClaireConnelly/status/1601803312835489793

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Trans-hate candidate that lost in Warringah:
My childhood idol thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat, time to not reexamine myself but whine about it online.

https://twitter.com/jetfury/status/1600760397648330752

:owned:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Eat a huge bag of poo poo, Deves

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Deves Nuts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not to be outdone by hackers, Telstra leaks details of its own customers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just imagine the kind of people who sign up for unlisted numbers: people with abusive ex-partners, judges and police officers with violent enemies, etc

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-12/psychologists-visits-rebates-mark-butler-covid/101760994

The ALP can get in the loving bin.

The ALP are taking away additional mental health resources, because the pandemic is over and so they aren't needed anymore. They are putting me in the horrible position of having to agree with the coalition. fuckers.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Having people sustain their 20 visits is important you bunch of humps in the ALP.

I have an ex partner who is a psychologist and we talked at length about how there was a substantial statistical improvement in people's health around the 20+ visit mark, yet due to high prices they charge people won't follow through. On top of the Liberals rat loving the ongoing subsidy by not adjusting it for inflation professionals were not inclined to take those patients as (well she claimed) they were losing money.

People are economically costed out of being treated, finishing treatment and having a chance to succeed is important.

Fucks sake.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 12, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

heh, when I first seen the scheme, my first thought was "huh, this will be great, psychologies can just focus on the patients they like, overservicing them at the expense of new and remote patients"

Reading that article, they seem to have analysis to say that is exactly what happened.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

heh, when I first seen the scheme, my first thought was "huh, this will be great, psychologies can just focus on the patients they like, overservicing them at the expense of new and remote patients"

Reading that article, they seem to have analysis to say that is exactly what happened.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh not sure if I agree with this take.

The 20 sessions in of itself is not the reason why people can't see psychologists. The reason is because we don't have enough psychologists to service the current demand because the training pipeline for psychologists is absolutely hosed. People may be aware that it's not easy at all to become a psychologist, what the general public may not be aware of is that changes to how psychologists trained which came into force midway this year. Previously, we had both a "4+2" which is an apprenticeship style training regime where people did the 4 year Honours degree and then practiced semi-independently as provisional psychologists and then the "HDR" route which is a masters involving practicums, coursework, and research. Concerns had been raised about the quality of the training provided in the 4+2 and how it's a bit exploitation-y so as a result it got the rear end and replaced nominally by a "5+1" which has an extra year of coursework which leads to a final year closer to the apprenticeship. This would aim to address concerns about standardisation of training while not requiring the same amount of academic resources of a standard Masters.

The issue is about the volume of training offered by the different pathways. Take for example QLD, where theres something like 400 provisional psychologists across all HDR pathways (Ahpra is down so I can't verify) and something like 800 4+2 provisional psychologists. With the phasing out of the 4+2 pathway, the 5+1/HDR pathways will need to surge to meet this demand. I really don't think that we've had sufficient investment into supporting institutions to create, certify, and staff the new training pathway meaning that we have, in the near future, a degraded ability to train psychologists. This is a bit anecdotal but I've heard that this years intake for psych postgrads has been the worst yet as now everyone has to effectively apply to a university given that you have very, very few options for 5+1s currently (although this may change in the future).

The other "lol" is that we have a two-tier system for registering psychs and recognising their experience. If you do an HDR psych masters, you can typically get endorsement in a certain area (e.g., clinical) which actually has ramifications from a medicare point of view. Clinical psychs get a better medicare rebate and I think from memory there is some other stuff they get which is sick but it also means that the HDR/Clinical pathway is extra competitive because you can only get endorsement currently if you did the masters, if you did a 4+2, you are poo poo out of luck and you top out with general registration. This exact reason is why we have huge splits in psych as there is a constant slapfight between clinical psychs and everyone else. It also means that the HDR pathway gets a stack of people who were 4+2 provisional psychs or generally-registered psychologists applying and getting in. From the programs I've seen the numbers into, about 25% of the candidates already posses some level of registration as a psychologist. This means there is an inefficiency factor being introduced as we aren't training X number of psychs, we are actually training X * .75 of psychs meaning that we are getting less bang for our buck. Legislatively, there are mechanisms to allow for bridging courses etc. but don't think institutions really offer it much.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The tl;dr is that we have a system "designed" by a bunch of people who never had to go through the hoops that currently-trained psychs have to go through and it really ratfucks us and society/people that rely on it. If the ALP had announced greater funding to address how psychs are trained then maybe it wouldn't have been such an issue but again it's a combination of psychs that are counselling/clinical are poo poo at self-advocacy and the ALP being dumb as gently caress.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like I'm having flashbacks because Mark Butler did the exact same thing as Mental Health minister 10 years ago and it was opposed by everyone back then as well

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

The tl;dr is that we have a system "designed" by a bunch of people who never had to go through the hoops that currently-trained psychs have to go through and it really ratfucks us and society/people that rely on it. If the ALP had announced greater funding to address how psychs are trained then maybe it wouldn't have been such an issue but again it's a combination of psychs that are counselling/clinical are poo poo at self-advocacy and the ALP being dumb as gently caress.

Thanks, really good explanation.

The issue for me is not funding. It is about stripping out gatekeeping for gatekeeping's sake. Surely a 4+2 Psych with years of experience and up to date professional updating education (which is already quite the requirement in medical fields in QLD as far as I understand) can be transitioned over to clinically qualified without consuming tertiary institution education resources (which a lot we know will be overlap).

Sure, I can sit here and say that I would rather be treated by a 4+2 that has gone through a 5+1 as well to become clinically qualified (as opposed to RPL most, train the gaps) and just say the simple solution is that government should just ramp up the resources to deliver 5+1 for all, but I can think of many, many things that those resources could be put towards that provide the same sort of incremental risk reduction at a demographic scale.

The same gatekeeping is in place for foreign trained professionals, except it's much easier to amplify the disaster of each time a mistake is made by an immigrant as opposed to a mistake made by a ridgy didge Aussie. If you want the news the general theme is immigrants make mistakes (often getting named, a photo so you can see where they come from, etc like Patel) the system let everyone down when locals made the mistake (hospital is looking into why multiple poor outcomes like ward 10B in FNQ without naming names even though obviously one or two people were core to what went wrong)

Medicine is a field that likes to eat its young (the US system of 24 and 36 hr shifts for junior doctors is just bonkers) but it is slowly getting better, I think.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I am REALLY curious to see what impact the mandatory flexible work arrangements in the new IR legislation has on nursing and hospital residencies.

The cynical part of me is assuming that the cabal of ALP premiers currently marching in lockstep and refusing to give nurses a reasonable cost of living payrise will freak the gently caress out on behalf of hospital administrators as soon as the ANWF starts down the path towards enforcement, and try to get an exemption rushed through - but having been in a defacto relationship and having 2 kids with a RN/Midwife, you're basically locked out of hospital nursing if you ever want to see your kids.

Mandatory rotations onto 12 hour shifts and weekends; a choice between 7am starts or evening/night shifts, and a total lack of willingness to change or compromise, backed up by nurse-managers who "had to do it for years so you should too."

Given the chronic shortage of nurses willing to do ward work when other employers are offering loads more flexibility, it seems like a no-brainer - but I'll bet hospital management teams fight it all the way.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The thing I don't understand with nurses is their pathological dislike for fixed rosters. It just removes so much drama when you have your 5:2:4:3 or 2 N/S, 2 D/S, 4 off or 5/5/5 or whatever and leave it to the crews to swap around shifts amongst themselves for special needs if they have consummed all their leave or were too slow to put in for it (assuming maximum two per crew off for a given day for eg). The crews then get assembled to work as a consistent team and there can't be argument over who got what public holiday.

Instead, it is a system where (depending on the matron or hospital) everyone puts in for shifts and it is divvied up on seniority or first in first served, matrons favorites or other hair brained scheme that shits on the meak or new.

The other farcical situation is that where Christmas fell on weekends, the purple circle would work the Thursday and Friday public holiday (and hence attract the Xmas penalty rates) and the plebs would work Christmas day and boxing day and only get normal weekend penalty rates.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Thanks, really good explanation.

The issue for me is not funding. It is about stripping out gatekeeping for gatekeeping's sake. Surely a 4+2 Psych with years of experience and up to date professional updating education (which is already quite the requirement in medical fields in QLD as far as I understand) can be transitioned over to clinically qualified without consuming tertiary institution education resources (which a lot we know will be overlap).

Sure, I can sit here and say that I would rather be treated by a 4+2 that has gone through a 5+1 as well to become clinically qualified (as opposed to RPL most, train the gaps) and just say the simple solution is that government should just ramp up the resources to deliver 5+1 for all, but I can think of many, many things that those resources could be put towards that provide the same sort of incremental risk reduction at a demographic scale.

The same gatekeeping is in place for foreign trained professionals, except it's much easier to amplify the disaster of each time a mistake is made by an immigrant as opposed to a mistake made by a ridgy didge Aussie. If you want the news the general theme is immigrants make mistakes (often getting named, a photo so you can see where they come from, etc like Patel) the system let everyone down when locals made the mistake (hospital is looking into why multiple poor outcomes like ward 10B in FNQ without naming names even though obviously one or two people were core to what went wrong)

Medicine is a field that likes to eat its young (the US system of 24 and 36 hr shifts for junior doctors is just bonkers) but it is slowly getting better, I think.

I think the tiered system we see in psychology is something which is related to, but a bit distinct from the issues around the removal of the extra 10 sessions from BAS. The line from the ALP is that the extra sessions are just clogging up the system and people aren't able to see psychs because people have 20 sessions and not 10. The issue was that even prior to COVID, it was difficult to see a psych due to waiting lists and one of the biggest barriers to access was cost. While the greater demand for MH support has meant a greater demand for psychs, medicare still doesn't cover the cost of seeing a psychologist so clients still have to stump up money they may not have to see a psych. Sure, clinical psychologists get a better rebate but they will also charge more as the training can be expensive and there is a level of "prestige" attached with being a clinical psychologist. It's no accident that a lot of clinical psychs/registrars will go into private practice ASAP and target middle/upper class demographics as that is where the money is. You then find that a stack of psychs who work on the tip of the spear of MH either don't have endorsement, come from a 4+2 pathway, or are a provisional psych as there is very little funding in providing serious acute MH support so really I'd even argue that we have the system somewhat backwards, the people with the greatest level of training in clinical psychology often don't even stay in that acute space because there's no incentive.

IIRC the review into the BAS did not recommend the sessions be cut, because it's a loving idiotic move but also not surprising as Mark Butler hates psychologists. The primary issue is not that patients are having "too many sessions" (????) it's that over the past 12 years since the overhaul of how psychs are trained/managed we have failed to grow the workforce of psychologists we need to the point that demand outstrips supply. This will only change once we figure out how to convince the government to unfuck the funding/process associated with training psychologists.

The whole thing is a bit "robbing Peter to pay Paul" because the effect this may have is just shifting people away from psychologists into hospital EDs which is then a state issue. Extremely classic labor just throwing up the hands on "ah well, what can be done".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Woof, worrying to see that online political radicalisation is at the point where people are gunning down cops who are looking for missing people now.

Guardian AU posted:

Wieambilla shooting: property owner Gareth Train posted regularly on conspiracy website before police killed

Exclusive: The brother of missing man Nathaniel Train had posted about preparing an ark and alleging the Port Arthur attack was a ‘false-flag’ operation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Right-winger cookers and conspiracy theorists have always been the ones who gun down cops without warning, and the cops never learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Recoome posted:

I think the tiered system we see in psychology is something which is related to, but a bit distinct from the issues around the removal of the extra 10 sessions from BAS. The line from the ALP is that the extra sessions are just clogging up the system and people aren't able to see psychs because people have 20 sessions and not 10.

The ALP commissioned their report with a political end in mind and the idea that the 20 sessions was causing backlog among the psychologists currently privately practicing was the explanation they settled on. They've been signaling for over a year that the 20-session plan was on the chopping block and I'm frankly surprised it has persisted as long as it did. As you pointed out, the review did not recommend the sessions be cut; the review actually recommended that people who maximize their sessions may not be appropriate for "merely" psychology because service usage of that level suggests more chronic concerns than perhaps privately practicing psychologists are equipped to deal with. The recommended model of care for anyone with a condition complex enough that it doesn't resolve in 20 sessions is referral to some sort of complex care multi-disciplinary team which might have contributions from a psychiatrist, a psychologist, perhaps a social worker or speech therapist, etc... however the report acknowledges that this sort of complex care model doesn't actually exist and, in the absence of that service being available, psychologists are better than nothing.

The thing that gets me is the rationale they use, that 20-session patients are clogging up waiting lists and denying services to new patients who can't get on the books is a tacit acknowledgement that there is a cohort of people utilizing this service (and utilizing it too much, apparently). If you acknowledge this point, it begs the question: where does the ALP imagine they'll go since they're now being forcibly exited from this system. The ALP's own statement on the matter is that they envision people this affects will find their way into referrals with more intensive services in the community. I actually work in these sorts of teams and I can confirm you have to be very unwell to qualify for this model of care (think, chronic schizophrenia or major treatment refractory conditions) and even with stringent acceptance criteria, they are already underfunded and stretched thin... there is no capacity to absorb a cohort of people who were otherwise being kept contained in the private psychology system.

The reason why this particular rationale is interesting is because it's the inverse of the argument they used many years ago to reduce the number of allowable sessions from 26 to 10... I'm probably revealing my age here but back in 2008 or so the ALP commissioned a study on the then-26 session cap which had been in place for several years and they concluded that something like 90% of patients exited the system within 6 sessions and an aggregate 96-98% ended their therapeutic relationship by session 10... so capping at 10 sessions wasn't foreseen to affect very much.

If they were interested in improving availability of psychologists, they could fix the deep flaws in the training system, like you pointed out. But I would also highlight that the medicare rebate for psychology has been frozen since 2012 and psychologists have been either charging increasingly ridiculous gap fees or leaving the profession altogether. There is a whole cohort of psychologists/clinical psychologists who want to do private practice but don't do so because it's not financially viable. The report the ALP commissioned also recommended this but raising the medicare rebate doesn't even seem to be on the radar for the ALP.

I hate the Liberal party as much as anyone but I'm forced to acknowledge that the creation of the bulk-billing system for psychology was a Howard policy, sessions were reduced under Rudd, medicare rebate was frozen under Gillard, and then sessions were expanded again under Morrison... now ALP is back in charge and sessions are being reduced again. I don't know why the ALP hates psychology as much as it does but it's not a subtle thing nor a bipartisan thing.