Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^ Dog bites man

I genuinely miss the proper rotisserie chickens. The ones cooked in a bag fall apart, and not in a nice way.

They don’t get cooked the bag, they go into the bags after they come out of the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Still way too manky.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Still way too manky.

pretty sure my local IGA does them rotisserie, has them resting in a heated tray or whatever, and when you buy one they put it in a foil/paper bag for you there on the spot, so it hasn't been sitting in a plastic bag all day.

Bit pricier than a coles or woolies chook bag but tastes better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Also FYI; the chickens have to go in the bin 4 hours after they leave the oven without fail, so they’ll never be sitting in a bag all day.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/22/makarrata-commission-in-limbo-after-failure-of-indigenous-voice-referendum

Ruh-roh

Also lol how can it not exist and yet spend half a mil on employees?? I reckon the funding will get quietly pulled or it’ll be in limbo until after the election and then it’ll get pulled.

Another awesome legacy of the referendum!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

lol watching the carols on Channel 9 and they had to awkwardly cut away from Jimmy Barnes' son trying to do damage control while pro-Palestinian demonstrators jumped on stage

derailed the thing for a good three minutes

EDIT:
https://x.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1738857395101880508?s=20
https://x.com/thebigjohnnyd/status/1738865181143515390?s=20

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 24, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao "it is Melbourne after all"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

A+ for effort but I feel like people who go to Xmas carols prob aren’t a sympathetic crowd

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Recoome posted:

A+ for effort but I feel like people who go to Xmas carols prob aren’t a sympathetic crowd

The people who staunchly follow Jesus' most famous sermon "gently caress you got mine"? Can't imagine why

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
... some Mafia children tried a bizarre assassination attempt on Geordies? What an odd life that dude leads

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Merry Christmas Auspiss goons.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Peccadillo posted:

... some Mafia children tried a bizarre assassination attempt on Geordies? What an odd life that dude leads

Disappointed it wasn't barilaro tbh

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I was anti-genocide but after being mildly inconvenienced I am now a staunch Netanyahist

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The people who staunchly follow Jesus' most famous sermon "gently caress you got mine"? Can't imagine why

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was anti-genocide but after being mildly inconvenienced I am now a staunch Netanyahist

Australians are all about the decorum and not saying the quiet part out loud, especially during Christmas.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

I see you remember what happened during the marriage equality 'debate' with all the people saying how they were going to vote for equality, but someone was rude, so now they were going to vote pro-bigot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I see you remember what happened during the marriage equality 'debate' with all the people saying how they were going to vote for equality, but someone was rude, so now they were going to vote pro-bigot.

The Marriage Equality vote? Don't you mean the great victory for the then current Liberal government, proving once and for ever that the Liberal Party of Australia are in no way Homophobic?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Christmas day we were all falling asleep waiting for my cousin to get into Canberra after his plane got sent back. Dude spent like eight hours in the airport. Then our grandma's house got struck by lightning.my other cousin leapt out of slumber next to me on the couch in full Mac from Sunny mode

He turned up. I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo that christmas morning. happens that the morning eczubirents is the youngest is twenty four

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 26, 2023

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

He turned up. I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo that christmas morning. happens that the morning eczubirents is the youngest is twenty four

[nods thoughtfully] Mm, indeed.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

[nods thoughtfully] Mm, indeed.

I'm on endone, I'm a bit loopy and meant to say that nobody really gave a poo poo that we didn't open presents until eight pm because there are no younger dudes in the family than twenty four, so Christmas Morning isn't a big deal

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 26, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Got a very expensive jar of spicy pickles, an apparently rare graphic T, and some odd poo poo from a Korean tik tak place. Good haul for a man who asks for very little so's hard to buy for

E: my mother restored a bunch of old t shirts which she found wich i assumed were long dead trash, too, which was very sweet. Got a Red Son T I screen printed like fifteen years ago and a Daniel Johnston "hey how are you?" shirt my buddy bought me from NY like twenty years ago, amongst others

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 26, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Marriage Equality vote? Don't you mean the great victory for the then current Liberal government, proving once and for ever that the Liberal Party of Australia are in no way Homophobic?

It's so loving weird that marriage equality in Australia will be going down in history as Tony Abbott's legacy

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 26, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I don't think it will be, I think it'll be read as something that was wrested from them. True and suits everyone fine

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's so loving weird that marriage equality in Australia will be going down in history as Tony Abbott's legacy

In the exact same way that John Howard, (of whom it cannot be said enough how much of a oval office he is), will always crow about gun laws being his greatest achievement and legacy towards the Australian people.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
howard can correctly take credit for gun control but abbott certainly can't take any credit for marriage equality since that happened under turnbull with a plebiscite as the messy internal compromise, so even turnbull can't really take full credit for it

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BrigadierSensible posted:

In the exact same way that John Howard, (of whom it cannot be said enough how much of a oval office he is), will always crow about gun laws being his greatest achievement and legacy towards the Australian people.

Howard should crow about gun laws. He should not crow about economy.

How do I spend all this free never ending mining money???

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/27/apm-jobseeker-referral-incentive-payments

quote:

Major Australian employment service accused of claiming credit for work jobseeker found herself

gasp how could this happen its not like people have been saying loudly this is happening for the last 20 years

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
happy proclamation day for tomorrow to all south australians. I will be working outside in 36 degree weather so I'm posting this today

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
And loving Germans at that

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

happy proclamation day for tomorrow to all south australians. I will be working outside in 36 degree weather so I'm posting this today

is it worse because they chose to colonise an already inhabited land rather than being forced to?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
realistically i think there is little moral difference between the settlement of eastern states vs south australia but its just always been a weird thing to be proud of to me

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
all it means is that south australians are proud of not being poms (prisoners of (insert pronoun here) majesties service)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/27/apm-jobseeker-referral-incentive-payments

gasp how could this happen its not like people have been saying loudly this is happening for the last 20 years

yeah that whole industry needs a blowtorch taken to it

just another thing that has no business existing, like the electricity market

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

realistically i think there is little moral difference between the settlement of eastern states vs south australia but its just always been a weird thing to be proud of to me

The colonisation was just as bad in SA despite the lack of terra nullius being declared

Only distinction I can think of is that German colonists were better than the English at documenting languages they encountered. Some German missionaries recorded enough Kaurna from 3 elders that the language could be revived in the 1980’s. Something fairly similar happened with the Ngarrindjerri language as well iirc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spookydonut posted:

is it worse because they chose to colonise an already inhabited land rather than being forced to?

P sure most of the people successfully living here made a choice to come.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spookydonut posted:

Oh yeah those fuckers only care about meeting their quotas. As the article points out, if they can file paperwork to say that they got a person into employment for at least 6 months they get a $5,000 'incentive', and their business model requires them to rack up as many incentives as possible. They get smaller incentive payouts for putting people into training or similar, it's basically a commission system and their managers are always hassling them to meet their quotas. I've had one of my employment 'reps' complain to me that I hadn't found work fast enough and it was causing problems for him.

One time I was with one of those service and they'd signed me up to a bullshit one week "training course" but I happened to find work and told them I wouldn't be able to attend the course and their immediate reaction was "Can you sign these forms to say that you attended the full course anyway?" Just recently I had a rep tell me that I had to complete a 'mutual obligation' training course but all of the sessions they had on offer were in industries I'm not interested in. He made me go through the list and pick the one which was least onerous, we both knew it was a complete waste of time and wouldn't be any help in getting me into paid work but he simply didn't give a gently caress.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The colonisation was just as bad in SA despite the lack of terra nullius being declared

Only distinction I can think of is that German colonists were better than the English at documenting languages they encountered. Some German missionaries recorded enough Kaurna from 3 elders that the language could be revived in the 1980’s. Something fairly similar happened with the Ngarrindjerri language as well iirc

Everyone rags on John Batman's bullshit 1835 "treaty" with the Wurundjeri people where he negotiated grazing rights of pretty much all of the Greater Melbourne area in perpetuity in exchange for annual payments (the first payments was 40 pairs of blankets, 42 tomahawks, 130 knives, 62 pairs of scissors, 40 looking glasses, 250 handkerchiefs, 18 shirts, 4 flannel jackets, 4 suits of clothes and 150 lb. of flour) as Whitey pulling a scam on the indigenous people who didn't understand what they were signing but there's pretty compelling arguments that they had a good idea what was going on and realised that this would have been the least bad option. Giving a small number of white guys rights to use the land would have been a much much better deal than what had happened elsewhere and what inevitably happened in Kulin country as well.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
both times i've been on unemployment i've found my own job without the jsa's help and both time they were trying to get stuff off me like details for the job and payslips once i started and i refused (as was my right, i checked). 100% certain they were going to use that to try and take credit.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Giving a small number of white guys rights to use the land would have been a much much better deal than what had happened elsewhere and what inevitably happened in Kulin country as well.
Treaty now?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Not sure about that. Colonisation still happened as it did everywhere, but crimes against Aboriginal people were specifically given equal weight as crimes against British subjects. About two-thirds of the founding proclaimation of SA were specifically dedicated to safeguarding the native peoples from "all acts of violence and injustice" because they wanted to extend the word of Christ to them. Aboriginal people weren't even given that much respect under the law anywhere else.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Seems reasonable to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

dsriggs posted:

Not sure about that. Colonisation still happened as it did everywhere, but crimes against Aboriginal people were specifically given equal weight as crimes against British subjects. About two-thirds of the founding proclaimation of SA were specifically dedicated to safeguarding the native peoples from "all acts of violence and injustice" because they wanted to extend the word of Christ to them. Aboriginal people weren't even given that much respect under the law anywhere else.

And as we're all aware, crimes are prosecuted equally, regardless of race. You can trust me on this, look at my avatar.