Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

As someone for whom the extra sessions were nice but not necessarily always helpful that has wound up in acute public inpatient care multiple times over the last few years im pretty pissed about it. Public inpatient psychiatry is pretty clearly geared towards keeping schizoaffective patients manageable and lacks much in the way for effective treatment for any other conditions. My laymans thoughts are that it has been getting harder and harder to get meaningful psychological treatment like cbt/dbt for at least a decade if not longer and the lack of any attempt to keep these sorts of treatments accessible is the root issue here but just cutting available sessions of less effective forms of therapy seems like just giving up entirely on people like me in this no mans land

That sucks hardcore. As a schizophrenic, please know that the brief intervention team I see for a few months after every admission largely doesn't impact me favourably enough to stave off another inpatient visit.
I've just completed DBT through the Alfred and honestly it's helped with some problematic behaviours but having just gotten out a few weeks ago from the In-patient Unit under an unusual Temporary Mental Health Treatment Order (usually I'm voluntary), it hasn't really touched the sides when it comes to my more depressing sets of symptoms.

I hate the notion that there's such a difficult number of hurdles and fewer sessions for people from what's largely unaffordable treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I feel it's a bit poo poo to lump Labor as the decision makers for subs... they may support it, may not behind closed doors, but this AUKUSward policy technically is a Liberal policy and if we were to renege or walsh on the deal like we did with the French subs we'd be better off financially until we weren't due to souring of relations.

Can you imagine Joe Biden forgetting Albo's name whilst his moist spittle hits a camera man and he then for some reasons hugs a woman just too tightly after calling Australians welchers? I'm here for the hijinx, but a more precarious position couldn't be found even if Penny Wong were to come out and say the USA is a developing nation.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I was quite upset last week with the rumours of only having 55yo+ receiving a top-up for JobSeeker, and the Stage 3 tax cuts still going ahead fed my motivation to write a poem (as I tend to do).

I want the poem to age poorly, preferably, and have those we hold dear or maybe don't even know get to the age where they can comfortably retire; I have hopes tinged with cynicism/realism.

23 Skidoo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 10, 2023

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Poetry is a dead medium.

People say the same about forums, welp here we are

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

what are there so many out and proud Nazism in melbourne?

There were allegedly 30, and I agree, that is too many

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Is there still time to derail from the rail-talk to bring you gentle goons my vision of a Civil Corps to replace volunteer firefighting and special emergency services?

We could have a state-federal coalition of Frontline emergency response for such disasters as: bushfires, ambulances and this thread

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Put Leppington on the map -- with a monorail, by gum -- it worked for Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
At the bare minimum a retainer fee and hourly rates for active service would be fair, IMO

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Autisanal Cheese posted:

what the gently caress, did they get an American trainer in or something?

Clearly not, because they didn't shoot her (some others) and a random dog

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

I did not realise they were improving Sydney

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

AUKUS-ward

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/08/canada-wildfires-air-quality-preparedness

Canpol for a brief article due to them facing similar issues Australia has when El Niño is in town. New Yawk already had disgusting air.

Suspected to occur again this summer in Australia. Really not looking forward to more bushfires/death/displacement/disasters.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/weather-forecast-australia-2023-la-nina-el-nino-explainer/40c4efbd-42cc-4426-8d75-bb6757aa455c

All I'm saying is, with the obvious roll-on effects of anthropogenic climate change, a Global Civil Corps for emergency response/natural disasters looks *mighty* nice in comparison to piecemeal co-operation between nations.
We're barely getting our collective poo poo together to *not* gently caress the planet up, though, so this is quite a pie-in-the-sky idea still.

Just wish, we could, like, for just once, we could, like, get our collective poo poo together.

We can't even get bicycle lanes right, or even all agree that legit discourse for better bike paths should occur in an Auspol thread.

Mono-d'oh!

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ia-inquiry-told

‘Unsustainable’ for ADF to help with natural disasters and defend Australia, inquiry told

"Dr Andrew Dowse, director of the security analysts Rand Australia, warned that “concurrent national crises” of both disasters and military threats meant alternatives were needed."

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...40bcd712be2eda4

"Whenever it arrives, El Nino is likely to be grim weather reading for Australia – turning the recent La Nina conditions on their head and bringing scorching conditions that could potentially lead to drought, bushfires and heat temperature records."

I posit therefore, that Reverse Vampires, in co-operation with the RAND Corporation, are seeking to eliminate the lacking organisational response to concurrent 'national' crises.
Apparently it's up to the States.
Perhaps something bad, this way comes.

Something bad means continuous disasters, with a lack of forethought on the fact that they will continue.
I harp on it a bit, but our reliance on volunteer only services, thus requiring ADF intervention, is short-sighted.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

it's also me

I am goonicus

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Meanjin is a cool name
Melbourne should definitely be renamed Naarm also

This

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
That's not a life, that's a silver spoon

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Ooh la la, dishwasher privilege is showing
I put in Hard Yakka scrubbing my utensils and crockery

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why does the victoria logo have an inverted pyramid? does the victorian government have a geofront?

Danluminati confirmed

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I went to early vote, and two AEC workers were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me and said: Yes.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I like public transport, but continue to wear a mask on it.
Also, I may like public transport because I get it for free.

How, you may ask?
I don't touch on.

I have schizophrenia and forget. If you, too, have a disability that includes forgetting to touch on or a history of fines due to not touching on (and you're in Victoria), you can get your Dr to sign a form for an Access Travel Pass. Free public transport in Victoria is awesome. I just wish it was for everyone.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/concessions-and-free-travel/access-travel-pass/

"To be eligible for an Access Travel Pass you must:

have a significant permanent physical disability, cognitive condition or mental illness
be unable to consistently touch on or off due to your condition
be able to travel independently on public transport, without assistance from a carer or companion
be a Victorian resident."

23 Skidoo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 19, 2023

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Holy poo poo, I'll see if WA has something like this. I have pretty bad ADHD and I'm tired of paying fines due to tagging on/off incorrectly. I'll either get hit with the maximum fare because I forget to tag off or get a fine due to forgetting to tag on.

Edit: WA does not have something like this.

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/smartrider/types-of-smartrider/pensioner-smartrider

From what I can tell, that's about it. Sorry. :-(

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Beginning to think the "revolution" will be troll-ivised.

Surely, surely taking the piss.
A vote for no, progressive or otherwise, has a huge cognitive dissonance towards (admittedly) miniscule progress, but progress nonetheless.

What do we want?
Incremental change!
When do we want it?
Incrementally over time!

Or not at all, and a huge backslide, lots of depression, lots of ignorance... and the ever-looming, never-loving-coming 'revolution'.

*huge loving eyeroll*

EDIT: Also, the "r" word? Have we backslid so far it's acceptable* again?

* it was never

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

What does "comprador" mean?

Serious question. Is it like Quisling?

dO YoUR oWN ReSeaRCH!

comprador
/ˌkɒmprəˈdɔː/
noun
a person who acts as an agent for foreign organizations engaged in investment, trade, or economic or political exploitation.
"successful compradors made vast fortunes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

freebooter posted:

words words St Kilda words bulk billing is good

I think St Kilda Superclinic still bulk bills. They're in Acland Court Shopping Centre.