Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anidav posted:

On the first day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, and Dutton leading the LNP.

On the second day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the third day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the forth day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, Four Victorian level crossing closures occurring by 2025, and Dutton leading the LNP

On the fifth day of auspolmas Antony Green gave to me
One defeated Scomo, Two-time defeated Matthew Guy, Three Brisbane Greens, Four Victorian level crossing closures occurring by 2025, Five new Climate Change Friendly board members at AGL, and Dutton leading the LNP

Ho ho ho!

Death is Certain! But optimism is healthy!

And a happy new year to all Goons!

You realise there are 12 days of Christmas right? What kind of half assed OP is this?

You could have used the new Teal MPs for one of the entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dsriggs posted:

The LNP sold 7 days of Christmas before the election to make their budget deficit look better :capitalism:

So isn’t the normal thing to do in that situation to just hire the other 7 days as independent contractors and pay them more?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anidav posted:

Well you see yesterday was the fifth of December and...five days?

I see so you’re going to add to it each day?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LNP are managing that on their own.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cookers generally fall into two sub species. You’ve got the obese, minimally educated alt right bogans who’ve probably never laid hands on a spinach leaf in their lives; and then you’ve got the affluent alt left Gwyneth Paltrow masturbatory wellness bullshit types.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jim Molan is dead.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Was he a piece of poo poo?

He was a liberal senator and a major general in the army.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The impression I get from Stokes (NSW minister for active transport), is that he might be genuinely interested. I saw him announcing the opening of a cycle way somewhere and he know's what's up. And he was literally asking councils to come to the government with proposals. The problem is, they don't really seem to be looking at how they connect, so we'll end up with a random mish-mash of localised bike paths that don't amount to a viable network.

So yes some of the slides are dense but the point is to communicate as much information as efficiently as possible. I guess if I was presenting it (really only want 10-15 minutes of their time), I might use a trimmed version, and if I was just sending it it might be closer to this

Bicycle NSW are pretty well placed to do this stuff, but they didn't get back to me yet.

This sort of thing leads me to wonder; how does anything ever get done or planned out in Sydney on a larger scale when the city is a patchwork of little tiny local councils? As someone who lives in Brisbane it seems like such a strange way of doing things.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I assume it has to come under the state government. But even that is a series of local members for seats that aren't much bigger than a council. So yeah, that's really a key part of the problem, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can find who's job it is to look at this stuff at the basin level, so large scale planning stuff doesn't seem to get done.

How does it work in Brisbane?

Brisbane is one LGA for the entire city of like 2.5 million people, so it has a huge budget and the capability to plan stuff at a whole city level. It’s also like the only LGA in the country where elections are explicitly partisan and contested between labor/lnp/greens.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 18, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

On Tony Abbott; I think he’d be an excellent senator for the purposes of helping to ensure the liberals can never win government again.

On chip chat; Nandos peri peri chips are the best chain store chips by a long shot, I will die on this hill.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bucky I would suggest that it’s probably not a productive use of your time to butter up a minister shortly before an election in which the likely outcome is a change in government.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think the fundamental difference between Tony and Scomo is that although Tony’s political views were absolutely wretched and I vehemently object to just about all of them, everyone who knew him personally (including members of my own family) was lining up to talk about what a decent/honest/etc person he was. He also seemed to genuinely believe he was doing the right thing. As I’ve said before, Scomo doesn’t hold a hose. Tony would have had to be physically restrained from going out there with a hose; even if he swore up and down afterwards that the fires had nothing to do with climate change.

With Scomo, he only cared about himself, and power, and everyone who actually knew him ended up despising him and talking about what a liar, and a manipulator and a fraud he was.

In many ways it almost feels like an analogy to Catholicism and traditional religion as represented by Abbot, and new age wank churches as represented by Scomo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Can we be sure they aren’t just rolling out a fresh clone of the same guy? The photo on the right looks like what you’d get if you put the one on the left through an ageing filter.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Why are people overdosing on paracetamol?

People have a tendency to stockpile it; and then they are loving idiots and try and use it as an impulse suicide method.

It’s probably going to be packet size and number restrictions.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nah it’s people trying to kill themselves and not realising that paracetamol is more likely to leave you in agony with a completely hosed liver than actually kill you outright.

The dosage guidelines for paracetamol have a massive safety buffer built into them, it’s really, really hard to accidentally overdose.

I’ve read into this in the past - paracetamol overdose tends to be a thing people do on impulse because they’re suicidal and have a ton of it in the house. The government wants to discourage the hoarding behaviour a lot of people have when it comes to painkillers (which became worse due to Covid).

This is also why Woolies for eg has always had very strict limits on how many packs of painkillers customers are allowed to buy, and you have to go to a pharmacy to buy the bigger pack sizes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Don’t quote me on it because I don’t remember the actual figures but I’ve heard from doctors and pharmacists that the actual tolerable dosage of paracetamol for most adults is like 50% more to double what the packet says. It takes a big stuff up to overdose, not just being in a brain fog and taking an extra dose or 2. Slow release stuff works differently and makes it easier to accidentally have too much in your system and that’s why they already put more controls on those.

I feel like one pack a day limit at supermarkets is pretty reasonable - ideally you’d be able to buy one pack of paracetamol and one of ibuprofen though since these have different uses and a lot of folks keep both on hand. You don’t need 100s of paracetamol in your home. A 32pk is 4 days at max dose per day. If you’re regularly taking multiple doses of painkillers a day then you probably should be under closer medical supervision.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

‘You can only buy one pack per day without the involvement of a doctor’ is a long long way from ‘taking away paracetamol’.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hopefully this sort of thing just accelerates the shift to the greens inner Brisbane is seeing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Because everyone will be on drugs and have taken leave of their senses?

Inner Brisbane is already rapidly turning green. They have 3 seats at a federal level and 2 at a state level - I think they have a pretty good chance of picking up extra seats at the next state election.

Edit: and looking at polling data, greens primary vote has risen from 9.47% at the last election to 13% currently.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 22, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Honestly I’d be pretty delighted if Labor had to have a minority govt with the greens; considering that we have no upper house and some of the lovely things the government is doing around the edges - we can’t afford to let the libs in but at the same time I think labor needs a wake up call/someone to slap them when they want to do something particularly stupid.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think its unlikely not only because the LNP have the shadow of Campbell Newman still hanging over them and a leader with ties to the real hosed up fundamentalist christians of the inland enclave towns but also because I don't really think the greens have quite enough headway in the suburbs to pull a significant number of seats. Weirdly I think if anything they might be able to pull a seat or two from the more progressive regional areas. There was a decent amount of presence in the scenic rim regions last election

I think at least one of their most likely pickups in inner Brisbane is LNP held?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anidav posted:

What's this about the seating arrangements of a brothel?

I hope it isn’t fabric seating that would be a bitch to clean cumstains out of.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Gotta put a welding mask on when you use a black light

Not if you’re scomo. He actively seeks the light

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My first federal election was 2007; so I didn’t pay much attention to politics at that time (and everyone else in my extended family is a lifelong crusted on liberal voter, it wasn’t till I left school and became exposed to the real world that my views shifted pretty leftwards).

Was Latham always this hosed? If so how did he become labor leader? Or did he get some kind of brain worm infestation later on?

All I really remember about the 2004 election was my highschool headmaster telling everyone in assembly about how essential it was that we convince our parents to vote liberal or else the school would suffer horribly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

freebooter posted:

Only a deep and abiding sense of state-level cultural cringe could lead someone to the conclusion that, Actually, WA or Queensland are less right-wing than Victoria

Maybe not Queensland as a whole but Brisbane itself is pretty drat left wing at the moment. I mean remind me again which city elected 3 federal greens MPs at the last election?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yea it’s the best name/job combo ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

ah eggboy, a shame he turned out to be a loving anti-vax cooker

Aww really? That’s a shame.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

As a non NSW resident who nevertheless would enjoy watching some light wailing and gnashing of teeth over a glass of wine this evening - which channel is the most entertaining coverage to watch?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We still need to cleanse Brisbane city council but once that happens the libs will have been exiled from the mainland.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

For the federal election sky put their entire coverage on YouTube, hopefully they do that with this election too. In the meantime I guess I’ll have to watch ABC. It’s too late to tune into sky now unless I get the opportunity to watch from the start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Oh man I only just got a new license sent to me because of the Optus breach!

In which case hopefully Latitude had the old one?

My Mac was purchased with Latitude a year ago, so I’m waiting with baited breath to see if I need to replace anything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

How hosed up of a person must you be when even Pauline Hanson thinks you went too far?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s obviously super early, but Guardian is reporting that early counting so far reports a 9.53% swing to labor in Aston; which - Lol.

Edit: Antony Green now has the outcome down as ‘ALP likely’. This is extremely hilarious.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 1, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ol’ Robodebt himself

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think it’s going to take more than 3 elections but I also believe Aus politics will eventually reshape itself to be a labor vs greens contest

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ken Wyatt has reportedly quit the liberal party due to their opposition to the voice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh he’s not even in parliament any more? Lol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Mel Gibson is still alive.

Not sure he qualifies for the good part.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That happened ages ago, it’s been in the qld news for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

shouldn't biodegradable material go into the green waste, and not landfill?

In theory; but I doubt the murderer was overly concerned with putting her body in the correct bin, especially given it seems she was killed over her penchant for obsessing over whether people were putting things in the right bin.