Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Monash is offering some kind of masters of entrepreneurship type thing as well. With various mentions of blockchain sprinkled into the marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for November:

Chinese Andrews to reign for 1000 years

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1612307793440313346

This is the way things are going to be from now on isn't it?

Cookers "just asking questions" about every loving thing

If it's any consolation they live their lives angry and terrified, which must suck

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's also lots of slightly hippie, vegetable growing, hobby farm people that live out bush and pretty much don't believe in medicine. My wife works in horticulture and there are tonnes of them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah it's true, this is basically our demographic and I have to say I do sometimes enjoy emphasising that 'obviously both our kids are vaccinated' and implying they're a loving dumbass if their kids aren't. Fortunately there are plenty of us who are sensible in that regards too. Growing nice food is fun and everything but the crossover with antivax crazies shits me no end.

I think Nsw and QLD probably worse than Vic in terms of cooker overlap though. Very few in my area would end up voting fash because of it.

Growing food is great, I probably shouldn't have included that, it's just that I know of two people who travelled to Canberra from Victoria to take part in the cooker protests who are both way into "self sufficiency"

*edit* Man, Pell got done in by a hip replacement. I went to the same high school as him in Ballarat

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 11, 2023

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I figured that nobody will ask him to resign because of doing something hosed when he was 21 so he will talk to Jewish groups and say sorry some more and it will blow over. I doubt anyone that would vote for him would think it was anything more than a youthful indiscretion that didn't hurt anyone at the time. It's funny that he said it caused him anxiety, like an I Know What You Did Last Summer situation or something.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think Prince Harry and Justin Trudeau have kind of showed that it's not career ending kompromat

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh my loving god why are people still falling for 'Come visit me in X but stop by in Laos and pick me up this suitcase first please thanks' drug courier scam. :(

People in love do really stupid things, never going to change

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good for you Kerrie, I respect the sacrifice you made for your 30 grand house

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Whats the best way to get a mortgage these days- go directly to the bank (or credit union!) or via a mortgage broker?

I am interested in selling my house and...getting a better house. And I need a guide on what our budget can be. I refuse to become a landlord.

I talked to one broker who did tell me they get a commission AND 2 years trailing commissions(?) that set off alarm bells for me.

We used a broker who was a friend of my sister in law. If we had to find one on our own I would have been a bit lost because its hard to compare them and you're trusting them a fair bit.
They handle a lot of stuff and will usually know decent conveyancers and inspection people etc.
I hate trying to organise things and fill in forms so broker was very valuable for me.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I read QLD is relaxing drug laws a bit which seems to go against the tough-on-crime message

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/queensland-illicit-drug-law-changes-three-strikes/102005684

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I wonder if Lidia Thorpe is going to end up following a bit of a Tulsi Gabbard trajectory.

I admit I haven't followed too closely so hopefully am way off the mark.

I may be misremembering but I think Gabbard is an amoral, power hungry, political opportunist Modi worshipper that grew up in and may still be involved in some kind of cult. I think Lidia Thorpe would struggle to get on that level. She probably has beliefs but is a born poo poo stirrer unsuited to party politics

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

They don't need to fool around with something that grants zero power lol

When Kevin Rudd said sorry that didn't achieve anything materially and it was generally considered still worthwhile. At worst would the voice be like that? Like it dosen't necessarily foreclose on further steps

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 7, 2023

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Australia has invaded every country the USA has since WW2, plus more

Will this be your "are we the baddies?" moment? Probably not hey

Surely not Grenada

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did I miss something about paracetamol last month?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty good that the terfs are being publicly lumped in with the Nazis and a liberal politician (who is now facing an expulsion vote) in Victoria.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

I'm not even sure "lumped in" is the right description, the terf to fasc pipeline is pretty well developed.

I should have said some sections of the media are lumping them in together. Hopefully the association will be made in the general public that may not have thought about this stuff much

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If American politics and society continues on it's trajectory hopefully the opposition to any attempt to introduce voluntary voting can just point and ask "Do you want that?"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always remember Stuart Robert cos years ago some journo on Insiders said he was the least intelligent person in the liberal party.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Konomex posted:

Outside of some Evangelical organization, who the hell would hire Morrison after his stellar run as PM?

A company that wants his political connections (such as they are) and doesn't really care about what the general public think of them. I can't really think of what that might be right now, defence manufacturers?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Compos Mentis posted:

who told him to wear glasses to soften his image?

It does work though, breaks up the monotone, hairless ball-of-skin effect

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon posted:

The sheer level of political incompetence required to self wedge your party on what was potentially a complete non-issue really sets Dutton apart. He *shudder* may yet make Scumbo look decent in hindsight.

It takes more than mere incompetence to be worse than Scott.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aware posted:

I'm attending lessons at a local orthodox Christian church ahead of my wedding in order to become a part of the church to get married there and as a long time agnostic it is cool and chill and interesting and full of history. I've learned a lot and enjoyed it so far.

I'm a Catholic and married an orthodox person in an orthodox church and I didn't have to do anything extra as the two churches are cool with each other I guess. Would have been nice to learn a bit about it though, it's very different to the modern Catholic church, probably more like it was pre Vatican II

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Konomex posted:

Not quite, they split about 900 years before Vatican II. Something about the bread, probably more about political power struggles, but I like to imagine it was mostly a fight about the bread.

I just mean the church interior, candles, the singing and the non vernacular service seem like old school Catholicism

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been nice to see a few articles about how this highlights the problems with Australia's Anzac mythology and military worship. You kind of hope people might feel more free to question that stuff and not get hounded out of the country now.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The people working 2 jobs should think about 3 jobs

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Imagine having Pauline as a work colleague
She probably gets told to gently caress off every day

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

fwiw I don't know a single millennial that bought a house with their own money either, I think the smallest cash injection I've yet heard of was like 200k from their parents with some of my wifes fancy-pants school friends getting like a cool mil. It's more like "45% of millennials don't own a house, and another N% could never have afforded one in the current economy if they weren't spooned by their parents". There's an absolutely huge transfer of wealth from middle income earners and early retirees into the hands of fuckwits real estate cunts basically.

edit; in fairness one of my friends bought their townhouse without any parental help, they are a DINK couple earning mid 6 figures.

Missus and I bought a small 2br house last year, at age 40, with no help. Outer suburbs of Melbourne. We are DINK with a combined income slightly above the median. Thing is, if other millennials were as tight arsed as I am in saving money the economy would probably collapse.
So just get a high paying job, never spend any money and don't have kids
Also I guess I'm only just in the millennial age bracket

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bobvonunheil posted:

...but it's completely relevant to start talk about conspiracy theories with discussion of the actual Illuminati

Or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Meanjin is a cool name
Melbourne should definitely be renamed Naarm also

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucky Fullminster posted:

youse are sure talking a lot of poo poo for people who have yet to find a single mistake or show where this has been reported before.

It could be that there are no mistakes in your article and it's genuinely new information and insight but it's also boring and nobody gives a poo poo

I'm not saying I think this, it's something that I probably will read when I have the time

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

are the headline writers at abc okay?

Those superstitious orientals will believe anything

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Assessor of Maat posted:

tbh I don't think I'd trust some move fast and break things geothermal power startup (the only kind of outfit which would be chosen for such things) to not somehow inexplicably cause Hokkaido to collapse into a giant sink hole either

The guy they interviewed on the news was a "businessman" not a government body of some kind so I would be pretty suss

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In think a lot of people listen to QAA because it's light hearted entertainment most of the time. They don't really focus on who Q is as a person, but more on its (and other cults and conspiracists) effects on society.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thatbastardken posted:

ngl I'm thinking about retraining as a sparkie but who the gently caress is going to want an apprentice in their 40s?

There's probably sparkies that would like an older apprentice who doesn't do all the normal stupid young person stuff

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

Lol Victoria

Lol. Probably the right thing to do though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At this point it's pretty much a contest between who realises it's a massive white elephant and city-destroying grift vs who wants at this point mostly imaginary prestige and clout.

Do people even care that much about the Olympics anymore? I feel it was a bigger thing when I was a kid, though maybe that's just nostalgia talking. At this point I feel like Sonic and Mario get more attention than the actual games do.

The negative reality of hosting an Olympics, who it really benefits, and the corruption involved in bidding and the IOC is more widely known than it used to be. There's a pretty big anti Olympics organisation for the LA games. It's probably in decline as far as what governments are willing to spend on it, but sports are still a pretty powerful and bankable spectacle.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snickothemule posted:

Why empty office spaces could be bad news for your super - ABC news

Want your super to keep rising, well get back into the office you bum. Its your fault the overly inflated and propped up business leasing bubble is floundering and they're having to *shock horror* drop their prices.

Oh dear, it's as if certain investments are meant to be guarantees and banks aren't at all concerned about this shipload of commercial property being leveraged and it's the poors fault for not commuting hours to and from work each day to keep the prices meaty.

Get hosed and convert them to liveable space since there's now magically fuckloads of demand.

There's a discussion in some other thread I can't remember at the moment, turns out it's not easy or cheap to convert office buildings to apartments, and they tend to turn out poo poo

It was the tech nightmares thread

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 18, 2023

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is this knife stuff because that kid got stabbed at sunshine station a little while back? I didn't realise we had an epidemic of knife crime that would require extra powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get rid of our dishwasher and put in more cabinets. They're a waste of tme for 2 people.