Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Budzilla posted:

Raptorfag was hardly the worst thing about Auspol.

Raptofag owned

Last post I saw from one of his reregs he was off to hospital to get a sounding rod extracted from his dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

raptorfag and tfab could have been great friends

Has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You’re getting assessed for serviceability at an 8% interest rate now so even if you could theoretically pay off an $800k loan at current interest rates you’re probably not going to be able to borrow that much.

FWIW I recently spoke to a couple of brokers and my borrowing limit was $400k on $84k/yr (excluding super and including HECS). It’s not exactly linear but to borrow $800k while paying off a HECS debt you’re probably looking at needing to earn around $180-$190k a year (they assume higher living costs once you earn more than $100k).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The last successful referendum was back in 1977, and only 8 of the 45 referendums we've ever had have been successful. The common element in those eight was that they all had bipartisan support before they went to the polls, I can't see that happening again in the foreseeable future.

I think the key to winning a referendum is making the campaign about getting that bipartisan support, and only having a vote once both parties have agreed on the wording of the amendment.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

swamp thong is a bucky alt surely

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

So I spent the night reading the entire article and despite everyone saying it’s long winded I felt that if anything it was too succinct and a lot of the themes and ideas were not adequately explained. I think if it was fleshed out a bit more and some of arguments connected a bit more thoroughly it might gain greater traction.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cartoon posted:

I'm guessing butt stuff.

Speaking of Defence :-

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-13/defence-admits-hunter-class-frigates-poor-process/103098592

If we can't get a simple frigate procurement right what loving hope is there for nuclear subs?

Also 45 Billion for Frigates, 60 Billion for Nuke subs, can we get a dollar for poo poo we actually need?

If they get the off the shelf subs they should be ok. Historically the issue with Australian defense procurement has been that we never go for the off the shelf version and instead try to cram a bunch of other poo poo in which the platform was never designed to carry, which causes fuckups and delays.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im going to spend my big tax cut on a new fishing rod

I got a Zenaq and it owns

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

freebooter posted:

On another note: what is everybody's opinion on immigration levels, particularly as it pertains to the housing crisis? I noticed Albanese's "crackdown" announcement came and went without comment.

My personal take is that I am still an inner-city latte-sipping lefty who is instinctively suspicious of political talk around immigration, but am also beginning to think that a discussion around levels shouldn't be off the table during a rental crisis? Particularly since - and I'm not an economist - I've often wondered why Howard took such a hard line on refugees while also presiding over a massive, colourblind intake of legal migrants who met certain skills categories; and the answer as far as I can tell is that "immigration keeps the price of labour cheap and the Liberals hate the unions more than they hate foreigners."

I personally don't give a gently caress whether migrants come from England or India, and prefer living in a multicultural society to what I imagine Australia was like in the '70s, but this goes back to what I said before about Melbourne going from 4 million to 5 million in a decade, and the infrastructure (let alone the availability of housing) not keeping up. I don't know. I am drifting from being instinctively pro-immigration to being agnostic, and wondering if my cosmopolitan sympathies have been exploited by neoliberals.

(I am also vaguely aware that some kind of Protectionist/Free Trade argument played out along similar lines 100 years ago.)
I’m not enthusiastic about it. To be clear this is referring to immigration the economic policy, not immigrants the people.
Higher population means either more urban sprawl or increased population density, more money needing to be spent on infrastructure that has already barely meets existing need, and I am not convinced of much of the economic arguments for it. It does make the headline GDP figures look better but GDP per capita is either stagnant or declining.

It’s also an equality and quality of life issue. The people calling for higher immigration levels are very seldom the lower income earners who are going to be expected to live in high density housing, put up with long commutes and are unlikely to afford big trips into the countryside to get away from the crowds.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

JBP posted:

Why do councils think anyone gives a poo poo about saying merry Christmas?

Goons have historically been very upset about Christmas being rammed down people’s throats via the devious placement of tinsel in buses.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Captain Theron posted:

The economic argument isn't just to boost raw gdp, or at least it shouldn't. More people from all over the world means that we gain from their knowledge, experience and culture. We can come up with new ideas, new ways of doing things improve as a society. Who knows how many great scientists, artists and philosophers have been born who haven't had the access to the resources to prosper? We're a very wealthy and safe country, and we shouldn't hoard our good fortune for ourselves.

And what's wrong with high density housing? As long as it's built well, and the supporting infrastructure is there it's a fantastic way to live. Poor quality dense housing is terrible, but so is poor quality medium and low density housing.

The economic argument is and always has been that it boosts GDP. All those other things you mention do nothing for those on the lower rungs of society yet those are the people who are going to take the biggest hit to their quality of life. Again, the people who tend to call for high immigration levels are generally not the people who bare the costs of those policies.

In theory there’s nothing wrong with high density housing, in practice no one has been able to build examples on a large scale that people would willingly choose over a house with a backyard if given the option. How many well off people choose to live in apartments when there’s houses available?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Captain Theron posted:

And I'd direct you towards most European cities for the idea that high quality, desirable and dense housing doesn't exist. It doesn't even have to be towering apartment complexes: Amsterdam has huge amounts of medium density good quality homes with fantastically walkable and cyclable neighbourhoods

And even in those idealised European settings where do you find the people who are able to afford to pick and choose where they live? In low density housing, because it offers a higher standard of living.

This obsession with cramming more and more people into high density housing also restricts a bunch of otherwise affordable hobbies and pastimes to people wealthy enough to afford a property with a shed or a garage.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Captain Theron posted:

OK dude, you have a personal grudge against high density housing. Lots of people don't, and some even prefer them. I do for one. The presence of some rich arsehole buying a country mansion isn't indicative of broader population trends. Not to mention it's unsustainable to keep expanding in low density suburban sprawl.

Denser living is actually quite nice, you should try it some time. Being able to step out my door and find food from every corner of the globe is fantastic, not to mention ready access to museums, theatres, live music and libraries without having to get in a car.

I have tried it and it was poo poo. Living packed in like a tin of sardines, hearing other people's air con running all night, not having a shed to tinker in, having to drive halfway across the city to my parents place whenever I wanted to take my kayak out. I've been fortunate enough to be able to move into a rural area where there's more space and the house I'm renting has a bigass back yard with a fire pit, a decent garage that fits the gym and the boat I'm building. If I had kids there'd be plenty of space for them to play backyard cricket or whatever.

That stuff isn't going to be relevant for everyone but the original point was that driving the population higher and higher, and relying on more and more high density housing in order to cram everyone in limits options for people and the people going to bear the brunt are the less well off.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is the map of heritage protection implemented by local councils in Melbourne

https://x.com/heritage_why/status/1419886322680958976

My aunt was trying to reno her little workers cottage in Richmond and the amount of poo poo you weren’t allowed to use in construction was staggering. I get that no one wants to live in a street full of grey, featureless rendered shitboxes but it still seemed a bit over the top

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The aboriginal missions and stolen generations were actually teaching people various trades and a second language to remove barriers to employment and revitalise the economy of Xinjiang Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

My dearly departed Nan from the Scottish side gave me a very cute book once about how to decode what your scottisch Nan says to English called "hauld ya whisht, wee divils" or somethin'

Scottish Nan always used to call us wee divils

E: found it

Its not Gallagh Scottish it's like Scots aphorisms for kids

Didn’t some guy write the entire Scots Wikipedia in English with a Scottish accent?