Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

freebooter posted:

Big loving lol at the Murdoch media's ongoing campaign against Andrews, prediction of a wipeout, absolute confidence that there'd be a voter backlash against lockdowns etc, and the end result was...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/08/victorian-labor-could-surpass-2018-danslide-after-claiming-victory-in-pakenham

...Labor increased its majority.

This is just a sign that they needed to attack Dictator Dan harder on stuff that the majority of the state was both in favour of, and over the hardships of more than a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Urcher posted:

:justpost:

I don't have much to contribute on the topic, but it is fascinating to hear an insider perspective on an industry I don't know much about.

I completely agree.

And not just about the current Psychology discussion. It is always good to get an informed opinion on subjects that most of us only have some passing knowledge of.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Man, Pell got done in by a hip replacement. I went to the same high school as him in Ballarat

Professional Wrestler Scott Hall also died last year because of complications post hip replacement therapy.

Yet, for all his faults he never actively covered up the crimes of multiple child rapists. So I guess the lesson to be learned is: Take good care of your hips.

Also RIP Razor Ramon, and get hosed George Pell.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

hooman posted:

Proud evil commie.

Apart from traitorous NT and WA, this is very close to the Barassi Line.

edit: Now I am curious as to what are they called in other places.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Homophobic, fundamentalist Christian, conservative leader of a right wing party likes to dress up a Nazi for fun at parties?

What a shocker.

Spoiler alert: Overshare about my youthful misadventures.
I lost my virginity at a themed costume party when I was around 21. The theme was superheroes. I was Superman, and she was Tank Girl. I don't remember any Nazi's in attendance.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Seriously though. Dutton's "Now that the wave of popular opinion has turned on the apology to the Stolen Generation so far that even the right wing accepts it was the right thing to do, I regret my performative actions designed to curry favour with the right wing power brokers and put the darkies in their place."

gently caress him. I think he has even done a similar mealy mouthed "regret" for abstaining on the Same-Sex marriage thing. A thing he did for similar PR reasons, (if he abstained he can't be called actively homophobic, but also he can tell his Jesus-Hugging Happy Clapper mates that he never voted for the unholy poofs.)

He should be asked WHY he chose to snub the apology. Coz it was a concious action on his part, that needed several deliberate steps. He can't put it down to an accident or brainfade. And I would like to hear him try to explain "Well I didn't think those abbos deserved an apology then, but I do now. Because of reasons that are totally not that I just don't want to be seen as racist NOW."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

It makes political sense for Labor to attack the Greens.

Because no Labor voter is likely to jump off and support the party of Scomo/Dutton. And a Greens voter is even less likely to do so.

But your vaguely half arsed left leaning voter may be convinced to abandon Labour for the Greens, and/or Greens for Labour. Depending on circumstance/policy/perception.

So the fight for "hearts and minds" is between Labour and the Greens. Because there is where one is most likely to win converts.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/vic...217-p5clcl.html

Vic Liberals: Why did we lose an election against Dictator Dan?
VicLiberals president: Heres a review of the election performance.
Vic Liberals: No! Not like that, you have to give the reasons we want you to give. You should resign!

I mean, sure the bloke didn't follow proper procedure and interview everyone and get comprehensive documentation etc. But this just shows how Vic Liberals are the shittest LNP in the country. Even counting WA where they only have 2 MPs.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

More proof that Vic. Liberals won't form government in a long time.

After kicking out a bloke who said that abortion should be banned even in cases of rape, they double down by replacing him with someone who claims that babies are allowed in brothels, and that the ideals of Unity and Equality are bad extreme things.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/victoria/new-liberal-mp-uses-maiden-speech-to-slam-equality-taken-to-extremes-20230221-p5cmam.html

This US style culture war poo poo has been proven time and again to not work, and indeed be counter-productive.

Why do they keep trying it?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

like babies are allowed to partake in the brothel thing or a dad drops the baby off in the brothel playpen while he gets serviced kind of thing?

e: by partake i mean breastfeeding not icky stuff

I think she was arguing that infants were allowed on the premises. (Which is not true, nor likely to become true unless some insane new laws/regulations pass).

But given her nutbar right-wing arseholery, she was probably trying to insinuate that brothels around the state are allowing little Timmy in for a 1/2 hour with a happy ending after daycare.

Which would indeed be a bad thing were it true. But it isn't.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Do you believe Thorpe has brought focus onto anything other than "Lidia Thorpe just seems like an arsehole" with this

Because if you believe No Cops at Pride is a a legitimate debate to have (it obviously is) she sure hasn't facilitated it or furthered it's cause.

I would argue that is less Thorpe's fault for her (arguably) ill thought out protest, and more on the media coverage of it.

Coz all the coverage has been "Lidia Thorpe has disrupted Mardi Gras!" and painting her as a crazy woman disrupting what should be a happy queer celebration for her own selfish reasons. And if they mention why she protested at all, (no cops at pride), then it is very quietly and buried beneath the "nutbar politician attacked queer event" narrative.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

My 2c on the Voice is less about the "yes" and more about the "no"

And if, as a nation, we vote "no", we are publicly saying that "No, the indigenous people of this country should not get a formal say in it's governance, and indeed we are actively voting to exclude them from doing this thing."

So indeed, a yes vote would just create another performative jobs for the boys committee, with no real power that will likely be mostly ignored and will do little to actually improve the lot of the indigenous community.

A "no" vote does so much worse. And in a perfect world, the Voice might possibly be able to do some good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Chris Minns can thank the meltdown of Sydney Trains today for the coming landslide election win

Never, I repeat never bet on NSW Labor winning anything.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Stadium is named after Modi. Modi is a grandstanding bastard who loves tacky stage-managed shows of how much of a "great man"(tm) he is. And a visit by a foreign head of state is a perfect excuse to parade in front of a hyped up crowd that will cheer anything Indian(tm), (unless it's muslim) is the perfect opportunity to sit in a gaudy monstrosity and be dragged around a cricket ground.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

I'd say the Perth contingent is mainly down to bogans, boredom and meth.

This is a very stupid, uninformed question. So I do apologize.

But I remember the time before the most recent tour, when the South African cricket team toured Oz, at the WACA the black players were recially abused, and even the white players had "Kaffir lover" yelled at them. Cricket Australia blamed it on the large South African expat community in Perth/WA. Could that have any influence on a more organized/formalized racist presence like the Nazis?

To continue my ignorance and stupid questions/comments.

On the Victorian/Melbourne Nazis. Whilst the theories posted above, (a more left wing government provokes a more extreme right wing pushback, and the harsh lockdowns we had provoke a harsher anti-DictatorDan response. Both of which lead into Nazis/TERFs), both make a lot of sense.

But Dan Andrews is a popular leader that has won in consecutive landslides. Sure, a lot of that can be put down to the Vic. Liberals being both dogshit and incompetent. But not all of it. So the Nazi and Nazi adjacent arseholes must know they are vastly outnumbered. (But does this also feed into the extreme right-wing response? i.e. When you feel you are surrounded by communists and race-traitors the only response is to burrow deeper into your hate and bigotry?)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lets put the specifics on hold for half a second and look at it in general terms.

Powerful person uses his political friends/allies to get material help/advantage for family members at the expense of potentially more worthy people without said political connections.

That is textbook corruption.

Fair enough a "Hey, my wife is in great pain, can you help her?" may be understandable, but the fact that one phone call got her an ambulance quicker is the definition of corruption.

Also his bullshit excuse, of "rather than call a physio, I asked my non doctor friend if I should call medical help, and he coincidentally said I should call the ambulance and even more coincidentally happened to be able to facilitate that." is hosed up. If he had phrased it as "My wife was in pain, so I did all I could by calling someone I knew had the power to help her. Any good husband would have done the same." then people would understand.

As it is, he's weasel wording it so it's "yeah you can prove I called the health minister and the ambos came quicker, but it was all technically above board, so you can't touch me."

I really hope he loses on Saturday. But NSW Labour are as incompetent as the Vic Libs, so it's not likely.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

When is the Tas. Statw election? When do they get the chance to fall in line and become ... one of us.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

hambeet posted:

I love every time they’re massively outnumbered. loving cowards.

Emptyquoting this.

Because I too love the fact that whilst there is a loud unpleasant minority who will always hold these hosed up cooker/nazi/TERF rallies, they are the undisputed minority by orders of magnitude.

Forgive me for my left wing extreme take, but:

Trans rights are human rights.
and.
Nazis are bad.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

drunkill posted:

roll the potato please

:auspol:

2 Questions about that.

Who do they have to take his place? Who do they have who even wants the job?

Dutton himself only took it because he is an ambitious true believer who thought the reason ScoMo lost so badly was because he wasn't conservative(tm) enough, and that he could somehow be the presentable face of the LNP. Which was a huge misreading of the entire country.

Who do they have so stupid, so completely lacking in self awareness to take over from him? And why?

Funniest option is they go back to ScoMo. I mean he still is an MP.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The "culture war" stuff with the Libs baffles me.

Coz it has been proved to be counter-effective for multiple consecutive elections.

Sure, it works for the Republicans in America, but for whatever reason, (and that is a discussion for another time), it doesn't work in Australia. In fact if you are actively fighting the culture war, people will actively vote against you.

It happened with the Teal wave, it happened against the Vic. Libs, it happened in NSW, it keeps happening.

So why? What earthly reason could there be to keep fighting against the scary LBGTQ folk, and the hordes of muslim brown skinned immigrants coming to take your job and rape your daughter and make the pies at the footy halal etc.

It might make sense if one was a true believer, and seriously believed all the hatefull poo poo that you spewed. But these are LNP career politicians, they don't have a shred of integrity or strength of conviction in them. They would step over their grandmothers corpse to sell their grandfather if they thought it would get them a vote/keep their seat.

Yet still, even though the electorate has said often and loudly "gently caress off with that poo poo.", they persist with it.

The only reason I can come up with is that its some Felicity Kennett poo poo. I.E. everyone at the dinner parties they get invited to are always talking about the trans menace to the exclusion of everything else, so these out of touch fucks must think that it is what everyone else cares about.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Australia has always been racist but progressive on gender politics

the first place to introduce women's suffrage

New Zealand gave Women the vote in 1893. Nearly a decade before Australia did. Also looking on Wikipedia, The Pitcairn Islands, (noted gender progressives), did it in 1838.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

lih posted:

fortunately getting even more anti-china is unlikely to help them at all because most of the seats that the libs still hold in the major cities have large chinese populations that will continue to swing against them

This is forgetting that a lot of Chinese immigrants are also anti Chinese-government. And by being anti-Xi, and anti-CCP is a good thing in the eyes of many Chinese immigrants.

They tried these ads last federal election. Although how much these ads are trying to appeal to Chinese anti-Xi immigrants, or just your bog standard racist anti-communist whitefolk is a matter of contention.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A possibility is that he heads on the lucrative US right-wing talking circuit.

His "daggy dad" persona will work more there as the yanks fawn over his accent. And all his speeches just need to be "I used to be PM of Australia. I stopped the horde of immigrants in boats. I fought against the woke menace. Because Jesus."

Also him running away when the Libs are clearly in a hole is entirely on brand for the cowardly fundamentalist useless fuckwit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

sick of Applebees posted:

Starting oval office

I like that oval office is close enough to the northern beaches of Sydney.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lachlan Murdoch dropped his defamation case against Crikey.

Seemingly because they were going to bring in the evidence in the Dominion lawsuit against FoxNews.

Haha suck poo poo you entitled fascist propagandist. And whilst not to cheerlead crikey.com too much, yay for them for not being bullied.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

lih posted:

abbott would have been unelectable if labor didn't spend 4 years self-destructing, but his hard-headed oppositional style was good at capitalising on that. dutton is trying the same thing but it's not working right now because labor have yet to seriously gently caress up and aren't tearing each other apart.

rudd's biggest mistake was not calling a double dissolution in 2009 to get a more workable senate when he had the chance.

Abbott was the perfect opposition leader at the perfect time for the Libs. A hard arsed man constantly on the attack and constantly saying "No!" to a PM who was perceived as a soft weak *gasp* woman, and was hindered by not having a clear majority to force through policy. The racism and sexism were also helpful at the time.

I would posit that he was still unelectable, as shown by him not even lasting a full term before being spilled. It's just his attack dog style of old school conservatism worked at the time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The true dire state of Australian music can be summed up with the fact that we nowadays get to put an entry into Eurovision, and it isn't TISM.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

America has, (after far too long a time, and only in a Civil case), managed to do to Trump what we should have done to Christian Porter.

Forgive the hot take, but:
Rape is bad, rapists are scum, and deserve no place in public life or elected positions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bucky Fullminster posted:

lol who's this whiteboard-hating, religiously-discriminating motherfucker that thinks they're the pub police. Didn't realise you need a PhD to post, jesus christ.

If someone is riding along and sees an endless line of massive trucks coming and going from a distribution hub, and then keeps riding and sees a whole bunch of empty land around the end of a rail line, they're allowed to say "hey what if we put that there instead", and enquire as to what the barriers to that might be. If people want to talk about it, cool. If they don't, no sweat.

"If you have an interest in something why you devote years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars to studying it, hmmm?" We can just chat some poo poo in here occasionally, it's a discussion forum, it's actually fine.

Like yes, let’s see if we can get knock this national transportation infrastructure thing on the head? Unless you can tell me who is doing it now, and what their kilojoule per kilogram kilometer number is looking like? Nothing will probably come of it but it can still be a fun exercise.

"the world is perfect because it's been built by qualified people according the laws of rational interest and never according to lobbyists or the easiest way for a cow to get up a hillside 200 years ago and if it can be any better the government is on to it already now shut up peasent" Some very weirdly elitist gatekeeping.

This really does affect so much. The liveability of our communities. Take a bunch of trucks off the road and cycling instantly becomes more possible which has huge knock-on effects. Health, parking, cost of living. Then there's the road-toll of the holidays, the quality of our air, the changing of the climate. Just cos you can't see the supply chain that goes into filling those truck up with fuel, doesn't mean it isn't there. It's massive.

You are an extraordinarily silly and extraordinarily dense man.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

hooman posted:

No toll roads in Perth. Just sayin'.

West Coast, Best Coast.

Counterpoint: Basil Zempilas

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A silly little thing.

https://twitter.com/reardon_shaun/status/1661262453395832839

A LNP Senator condescendingly asking a department secretary why he isn't wearing a tie, and once wore a T-Shirt in Queensland.

Really clamping down on the important issues of the day.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

freebooter posted:

Without seeing the full context, would not be surprised if What People Should Be Wearing is the first hint of a dog whistle that eventually segued into some trans culture war poo poo

I would argue more it's some dress-code decorum poo poo, (men should always dress like a private schoolboy at a job interview), that branches off of the slut shaming style dress code stuff that the right wing establishment has for women.

I remember recently there was a thing where ABC Journalist Patricia Karvelas was kicked out of the press box because her shirt showed too much of her shoulders, (or something similar), for the Parliament dress code.

Which, to be fair is not a million miles away from what you are saying.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

WhatI find funniest about the Roberts-Smith stuff is that if he had left it alone, he wouldnt be in as much poo poo.

But because he is such an arsehole, (as well as a war criminal), he had people lining up to give evidence againt him. In s defamation case he hinself brought.

And because of that case, more people know of his war crimes and general arseholery than would of before.

Relatedly, how did that channel 7 SAS show end up going? Coz that was the main reason Stokes bankrolled the court case. (Cant have an aussie convicted of war crimes when we are running an 'are troops' style TV show.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's one of the funniest parts. Just sheer arrogance.

You do wonder what he was hoping would be the end result of the case.

He knows he did the war crimes, he knows there were witnesses, he knows that the reporting was accurate and researched. So I suppose he was hoping they would fold immediately.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Laserface posted:

Bucky, my friend worked in a bicycle shop, selling ebikes and alternative transport like cargo bikes. He was in touch with the government a number of times regarding the cycle network and ways to improve alternative means of transport for the general public. He, the other shop owners and cycling Australia reps talked to Clover Moore, they talked to Mike Baird and nothing happened. They were not interested. They don't care

No no, this time it'll be different. Bucky has bullet points and has scribbled some green lines over 70% of existing road. Surely that'll make the difference.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bucky will your bike paths, (P.S. What a magnificent idea. I shower you with praise forbeing the only one tohave yhid idea. Font listen tothe haters, they havent even taken the time to scribblre lined on a map), be able to accomodate either tricicles or penny farthings. The superiorform ofpedalbased transport?

And if not, how will it not be your fault, and instead this threads for being mean to you?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Recoome posted:

Bucky I refuse to believe you’ve actually spitballed this will real live humans.

"With" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

I guarantee he has talked "at" a lot of people about his genius and unique idea.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/lidia-thorpe-accuses-fellow-senator-of-sexually-assaulting-her-20230614-p5dgla.html

Lidia Thorpe has withdrawn her allegations against the Liberal Senator that sexually assaulted her.

Thus giving the media another chance/excuse to portray her as a crazy person loose canon, and giving the bastard that did it to her a chance to cry long and loud about he is the real victim.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Vladimir Poutine posted:

From the Guardian’s live blog:

Peter Dutton says David Van 'should no longer sit in the Liberal party room'

Peter Dutton statement:

Since the airing of Senator Thorpe’s allegation yesterday, further allegations in relation to Senator Van have been brought to my attention overnight and this morning. As such, I met with Senator Van this morning and a short time ago, I advised Senator Van of my decision that he should no longer sit in the Liberal party party room. At the outset, I want to make clear, very clear, that I’m not making any judgment on the veracity of the allegations or any individual’s guilt or innocence.

I hate those weasel words "I am not going to say anything about whether he is guilty or innocent. But many people have made enough allegations against him for me to punish him. But I am not saying he's guilty, Oh no."

Also that "alleged" sexual assault only gets you slightly demoted. And the fact that this fuckwit isn't fighting his demotion as hard as the nazi Victorian Liberal woman fought hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

JBP posted:

Chucking him out of the party room without a fair trial before the Law seems pretty woke

Would you go so far as to say it's Cancel Culture?

or

That Dutton is saying No to Van having a voice in parliament?