Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cops are dumb thugs as a rule and completely used to having absolutely no repercussions for their actions, the media universally just not reporting on their actions in anything but the most glowing sense no matter how heinous and all.

They are not in any way prepared for and have no idea how to response to even the slightest change in the discourse that puts their actions under even casual scrutiny. They're going to double down hamfistedly, because it's the only thing they know how to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Right-winger cookers and conspiracy theorists have always been the ones who gun down cops without warning, and the cops never learn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Austerity is the religion of liberals, and merely a tool for right wingers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ridiculously obtuse professional pissing contests seem depressingly believable, though I can really believe it's just a bunch of well-off assholes thinking poor people should stop asking for someone to whine to and just get over it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

freebooter posted:

Lol apparently it's a really strong liquor and you're only supposed to sip it but he skulled it (so honestly, respect)

Yeah I got the feeling it was some serious stuff and it's a shockingly innocent faux pas as far as whitey going on diplomatic shenanigans goes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was definitely something that stuck around with Harry until he got into the news for other things.

But people actually do have a sense of proportion sometimes. Like that's some bad poo poo, inexcusable, but at least he isn't defending it and is doing some good poo poo right here and now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

This is ironic, because...

you know who hated smoking?

Hitler and the actual Gestapo.

Looooved meth tho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Not a lot. Some dirt, some trees.

Kangaroos maybe?

Lizards?

The reptile house there is pretty cool. They have a very long snake who they drape over a dozen people's shoulders at once.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I just learned Contrapoints got hooked on opium.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JBP posted:

The commonwealth is spending $3.5b on it

E: I don't really understand why they bid on the poo poo either*. It's always a loss for the host nation. Spend a smaller amount of money on fit for purpose stadiums to host our sports and then the rest on tourism advertising

*It's for the prestige but that's not a good reason

Absolute fuckloads of graft.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think she was arguing that infants were allowed on the premises. (Which is not true, nor likely to become true unless some insane new laws/regulations pass).

But given her nutbar right-wing arseholery, she was probably trying to insinuate that brothels around the state are allowing little Timmy in for a 1/2 hour with a happy ending after daycare.

Which would indeed be a bad thing were it true. But it isn't.

Either that or got the idea that Ichiban Kasuga's backstory was real and common.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bell jar posted:

I only just noticed for the first time that the pussy is censored in that pic. The Japanese have weird priorities

Censorship laws written for them by Americans will do that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

I may be misremembering but I think Gabbard is an amoral, power hungry, political opportunist Modi worshipper that grew up in and may still be involved in some kind of cult. I think Lidia Thorpe would struggle to get on that level. She probably has beliefs but is a born poo poo stirrer unsuited to party politics

That kind of personality type has its own problems but yeah, Gabbard had a lot else going on which was pretty obvious once you took a closer look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That's wild. I guess it means they are interested in the police that are much more loyal to the department than the people the are policing.

Are the hurdles to be accepted into police school that high? Police jobs are generally very sought after as well paid and stable.

Nobody with a soul wants to be a cop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heh, all those years of trying to play up how Death Wish movie are real and cops need to be constantly prepared to Survive Edged Weapons backfires.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm actually surprised. Do American cops, the privileged enforcer class, have generous health plans for injuries and trauma?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...I can't not see a giant shoe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still don't get it, though I am pretty extra stupid today.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eediot Jedi posted:

Veterans are a diversity hire?

The only veterans the right actually loves are in flag-draped coffins.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Personally, I think we should lick the boots of both America and China. Why must we choose only one?

That would be dangerously like sensible foreign policy. Then again, pretty sure the last PM who tried that was Rudd and we know how that worked out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Military procurement' has been pretty nakedly protection money to the US for a long time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From what I remember Latham was well known as a maniac even by the time he ran as Labor leader, and I suspect he basically only ended up in that position because nobody else wanted the job, or at least could even pretend they were trying to win.

That said I'm pretty sure the brainworms got worse and worse over time, possibly from untreated mental illness and then the inevitable spiral into American right wing indoctrination.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And don't forget the totally-can't-call-them-concentration-camps for... asylum seekers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i read a lot of slackbastard and tom tanuki trying to figure out why the neo nazi movement is so much more organized in victoria. theres a serious vocal contingent of neo nazis in logan but i cant remember the last time they bothered to mobilize in a group to attend something like this in brisbane

Victoria's got a larger population, right? Could just be that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bell jar posted:

Lotta rabbits, in China

No, they're on the moon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Esdesu posted:

Jesus they're getting in early, the voting hasn't even started yet!

What rigging are they claiming is happening?

You drat well know they have nothing like a coherent answer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bucky, at best you are entangled in the endless layers of meaningless bullshit of the right like a bug in a spider's web. It's designed to waste your time and effort. You spend tens of thousands of words trying to explain the obvious and still getting it wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

You're assuming they don't come up with a modern ruddbucks/jobkeeper (my understanding most of the good stuff was drafted by Labor)/other economic policy that cuts through the worst of it. They are actually good at coming up with economic strategies and not letting everyone drown in their own problems because "party of personal responsibility and bootstraps"

Entirely possible, especially since the liberals seem so cooked about the transes and the pronouns they seem to have entirely forgotten how to rant about communism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is about the culture war poo poo in the US is that it relies on a couple of things- very low voter turnout and the active cultivation over decades of a base of fanatics addicted to the narratives of hate and sadism, though 24 hour news media channels that are pretty much mind control for boomers.

They neglected to actually set those up in Australia, despite the Murdoch monopoly on papers they really don't do the same thing, and of course mandatory voting being inverse voter suppression means that they can't rely on the only people who bother to turn out and actually get their votes counted being the radicalised. They're literally going off the modern American playbook without acknowledging material conditions on the ground at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

They've flirted with mentioning it before, but next time Libs are in power nationally I absolutely expect there will be lots of talking points from them about how we need to have a discussion on if compulsory voting is an outdated relic of the past.

Oh yeah. I'd be surprised if they haven't already started.

The next logical step, as much logic as they have anyway, once they realise that somehow the majority doesn't quietly agree with them, is of course to make sure only the right people get to vote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lih posted:

well that didn't seem to work very well for them - it's well established that there were big swings against the liberals amongst the chinese-australian population last election (& even at the recent nsw election). some immigrants from china may not like the chinese government but that doesn't mean they want war with it either

And it's not like they're actually capable of threading the needle to separate the nationalist rhetoric from the racism, even if they make a token effort to try.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

Funnily enough, it's the conservative opponents of womens suffrage who are responsible for that in SA.

They got the suffrage changes amended to not just grant voting rights to women, but also allow them to be elected as representatives, thinking that taking it to this clearly absurd extreme would result in the vote failing.

Instead the supporters of womens suffrage went "great!" and passed the improved version.

Just today I passed a statue of the first woman elected to a council position being touched up by its sculptor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jeffreyw posted:

The bigger problem for the Liberals is the fact conservative media has brain rotted themselves to a point that they’re just not concerned about economics anymore. This has long been the bread and butter of why people believe the Liberals should be in power.

I remember the Herald Sun full court pressing Rudd and Gillard every single day of the week with pages and pages of economy related hit pieces. In today’s Herald Sun? Albo is mentioned once and that’s in a small article related to the LNP gathering to discuss the Voice. Our inflation might as well not exist either, there’s a single 1/3 page article specifically hitting the RBA and not Labor.

And the letter to the editor section? Writer after writer screaming that LNP lost Aston because they chose a left wing woke candidate. If it isn’t crying about the woke mind virus, it’s people talking about Porter Davis or brachycephalic dog breeds. Nothing about Labor not addressing cost of living or inflation or labour/material costs.

It's amazing how fast it seems like this change was. I suppose the period of revolving door liberal PMs made them feel invincible to the point where the entirety of the old playbook just fell out of memory, and it was all replaced with imitation American culture war.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well that's an instant classic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the old marshmallow test and how they didn't think that what it's actually testing is 'which kids believe the promises made by strange adults'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most of the high level jobs get closed or folded into other jobs when the boomers who'd been doing fuckall for years anyway finally retire or die.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Can we just start spitting on Labor politicians

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

When a Labor government implements policy targeting at risk populations I don't like.

:jerkbag:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Recoome posted:

Idk whether I'm shocked though, the ALP have been centrist for ages now and have been really gunning for the economic conservative but socially progressive vote for ages. Jim Chalmers IIRC is from the Right faction but I guess it's just amazing that Labor are tying themselves in knots to defend effectively indefensible tax cuts.

American polling but wouldn't be surprised if it about tracked in Australia; 'economic conservative put socially progressive' is from all indications a demographic that literally does not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is modern England, what makes you think they're capable of even acknowledging any of that might be a good idea, let alone doing it