Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There are 12 matches left in the World Cup and today we have two of them!

First, the heroic Samurai Blues take on Luka Modric's team of 2018 World Cup Runners-Up. Last time out, Japan defeated Spain by the thinnest of margins despite only having like 17% possession, so they clearly know how to beat "superior" teams. Croatia, meanwhile, have only really looked good in one game and that was against the tournament's second worst team - they couldn't even beat Blegum for crying out loud and their aging players looked tired by the end of the group stage. Conventional wisdom would probably say Croatia should take it given the historical strength of the two sides, but I think this one could be Japan's to lose.

Then, Neymar and Friends try to roll their way to victory against Son and Sons. There are many likeable players on the Brazil team but Neymar is so insufferable that I want them to be destroyed, crushed, their dreams ruined, incapable of scoring against South Korea's all-Kim backline, and then this happens again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4X_LWcENdY

Sadly, I think an upset here is less likely than in the first match, but Brazil did lose to Cameroon in their final group stage match so they've hardly looked invulnerable.

Today, we are all Japanese and Korean.

First match kicks off in ninety minutes plus six minutes stoppage time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1599752979783254020?s=61&t=tADXNyJn_16J6PUGJ0120A

Print the shirts

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Today Gianni Infantino feels like the Spanish National Basketball Team.

Lol, that in 2008 Sid Lowe called this photo a "faux pas"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Counterattacking football at its finest

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Let's go japan

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Let's go south korea

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think Brazil might try this game and so it won't be like Cameroon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Despite 2002 being a loving farce I am all in for South Korea upset today. And Japan can beat Croatia. gently caress em.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

All the bad teams are winning the knockout games. Hopefully Japan and/or South Korea can buck the trend!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/webSportiva/status/1599712705216413697

i dont know anything about japanese but sounds like this is the third official match between japan and croatia, with one win to croatia and one draw so far

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

lynch_69 posted:

All the bad teams are winning the knockout games.

The US lost OP

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

poty posted:

i dont know anything about japanese but sounds like this is the third official match between japan and croatia, with one win to croatia and one draw so far

Sounds like glorious Nippon is due.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Japan Croatia
Referee: Ismail ELFATH (USA)
AR1: Kyle Atkins (USA)
AR2: Corey Parker (USA)
Fourth Official: Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)
VAR: Nicolas Gallo (COL)

Elfath is going to be one of the few Americans in Qatar to benefit from the Netherlands knocking the USA out. I think this was a last minute swap by FIFA. His ARs were originally slotted in some of the Additional VAR roles yesterday but got taken off of that assignment when this was announced. I think his strong performance in Brazil Cameroon combined with the USA's exit means they think they can use him again beyond the R16 if he can overcome some of his weaknesses. This is a good game to test Elfath in. Elfath typically has a good feel for the game but can struggle with some of the technical, so we'll see if that happens today. Ghorbal as the 4th is interesting, I still dont know what is the plan for them but we'll see shortly. If Elfath has a great game here, he will be putting his name on the shortlist for one of the final four matches. A "fine" or worse and it's probably the end of his journey in Qatar.

Brazil South Korea
Referee: Clément TURPIN (FRA)
AR1: Nicolas Danos (FRA)
AR2: Cyril Gringore (FRA)
Fourth Official: Slavko Vincic (SVN)
VAR: Jérôme Brisard (FRA)

Turpin previously worked Uruguay South Korea and Ecuador Senegal. He has had a good tournament, just not as good of one as a few of the other UEFA referees. Additionally... well, yall saw how good France were. At this point it's just a numbers game. So far in the knockouts (small sample size of 8 games including tomorrows assignments) it looks like Confederation Neutrality might be back on the menu. Even the two UEFA exclusive games went to outside of UEFA, I think in an attempt to be able to give some of the other confederations some appointments. Additionally, the further France go, the less opportunities he has. So his reward is here: a game that should probably be straight forward enough, but could get interesting if South Korea are able to get an early goal. It's well deserved and I would normally think that maybe he can stick around as a 4th but France's forward march will make that difficult. I think they'll send a group home after the round of 16 finishes up and I suspect he'll be in that.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

does the american ref know that its not allowed to touch the football with your hands

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
So many empty seats again. Such a shame.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope to see another incredible gif featuring Elfath

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Ajde hrvatska but wouldn’t hate to see the good lads of samurai blue progress either

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Elliptical Dick posted:

Doesn’t matter as long as the FIFA’s pockets get filled.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I think Japan could go deep in this tournament and they are more than capable of beating croatia imo. South Korea could cause an upset but drat i'd love to get a close up of neymar sobbing on the touchline

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Elliptical Dick posted:

What a loving waste of money resources and human lives these stadiums are. They're all half empty for the WORLD CUP games and I can't imagine they're going to be packed to the rafters for local Qatar league games. They spent billions on several stadiums clustered around a tiny city state destined never to be at full capacity.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, some are coming down again straight after.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

lynch_69 posted:

What a loving waste of money resources and human lives these stadiums are. They're all half empty for the WORLD CUP games and I can't imagine they're going to be packed to the rafters for local Qatar league games. They spent billions on several stadiums clustered around a tiny city state destined never to be at full capacity.

The "Qatari Stars* League" averages about 1000 people per match.

*Stars not included

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

goatface posted:

It's ok, some are coming down again straight after.

On purpose or...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The countdown to kickoff is very silly

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Close from the Nipponese

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Obligatory Johnny Infant sighting.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i think saudi arabia is paying spain and italy to have their community shield-style short competitions there

so in a few years maybe well have premier league matches and like the champions league final in qatar

helps with the waste but opens a new avenue of suck in its place

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Old Firm round of 16 go.

Come on Borna.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

poty posted:

Oh! I missed this artist. Wonder if they did all the matches!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Vintersorg posted:

Idk but they also posted this

https://twitter.com/websportiva/status/1598618051607334913?s=61&t=TZz1VvfMJDRSuXcq7irMow

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lmao thats some weird defense

just glob onto the attacker

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Japan let off the hook there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Little bit of chaosball there

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

If only idiot race were still alive he would have kept us updated with all the latest animes

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lmao

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Japan looks so fast

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fridge corn posted:

If only idiot race were still alive he would have kept us updated with all the latest animes

rip

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Japan will have wanted to score there imo

poty
Jun 21, 2008

shame, such a cool run bamboozling the defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
5live commentators slagging off the ref team already