Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

Not panicking when your life is literally under threat and shooting your own guys or random bystanders seems pretty important, and a cut above being able to reload your hunting rifle without killing yourself.

you can easily train for those scenarios by playing counter-strike on friendly fire servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When you train with firearms I think you're supposed to do like AR curls. Gotta get big guns, for you're big guns

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

no way you need like a hillbilly gun like this

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

what are we talking about wrt firearms training here. afaik when you train to use a firearm you're practicing shooting things (presumably simulated people/animals) right? like you're not just training to use a firearm and bringing it with you and your group (squad? platoon?) to an armed protest just to brandish it around

Basic firearm training is in things like knowing how the gun acts when shot, how to know what is behind your target or how to avoid negligent discharges. I think the idea is if you understand firearms and how you are supposed to treat them (deadly and seriously at all times) then that is better than just running around waving a gun around having never really shot one.

I think people suggesting "training" though are maybe talking about conflict training. We had some goons getting extremely anxious at news stories and strapping up to go to protests which was not the best idea. Basic firearm training isn't hard and it isn't going to stop people who convince themselves gunbattles in the streets is a good idea. I'm sure the CHAZ protesters that murdered those children had plenty of training.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

yeah. I definitely suggest that people with cooler heads are the ones that arm themselves.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

what are we talking about wrt firearms training here. afaik when you train to use a firearm you're practicing shooting things (presumably simulated people/animals) right? like you're not just training to use a firearm and bringing it with you and your group (squad? platoon?) to an armed protest just to brandish it around

Unless you've been in the military, most people (even chuds), have zero training. Just taking the gun to the range and practicing.

For private training, you have to go to a gun range that actually offers it, which is definitely not your mom and pop gun shops/ranges. And It usually costs maybe $125 per class depending on what it is.

I've taken a few courses and had to drive over an hour to get to a place that offered training. When I got my CCW I didn't have to fire a single shot to prove I could be responsible enough to carry a concealed firearm. It was 100% about the laws. Maybe 4-5 hours or so.

And with open carry..... well..... it's the wild west. I was a big gun guy my whole life and have more guns than most people in the country but these days I'm leaning towards a complete ban on guns unless for hunting and and target shooting. We can't completely ban them because, at least in WI, we literally need hunters to cull the huge deer population. I haven't thought this through at all. Just a feeling that came up a few days ago that I was like... "well god drat it, wtf are we really able to do to stop this?"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if the gun is light enough to lift with your arms its not big enough imo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
isn't part of the deal with carrying a gun is the implicit threat of violence though? why carry it if you're not willing to use it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you should be allowed to carry a gun, but it should be holstered at all times with the barrel facing your forehead so that you have some skin in the game when it comes to safe handling

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

isn't part of the deal with carrying a gun is the implicit threat of violence though? why carry it if you're not willing to use it

cuz i got a tiny pecker, op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

frankly though, if wielding a chain was enough for joe biden to chase off corn pop, it should be good enough for every american

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You need gun training if youre gonna armed protest so you dont, like the Not loving Around Coalition, negligent discharge while you're just marching without any counter-protestors and shoot your friends

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

training to ensure that if shots do start popping off or of someone's hurt or there's some kind of emergency, that everybody already knows what they should be doing and what everyone else should be doing and doesn't have to figure it out on the spot, cuz they won't be able to

positioning, awareness, how to identify each other and communicate what's going on, personal areas of responsibility, etc.

lotta stuff to take into account because there's a million ways things can go bad or be made worse

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that's a higher standard than police are trained to

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

FirstnameLastname posted:

training to ensure that if shots do start popping off or of someone's hurt or there's some kind of emergency, that everybody already knows what they should be doing and what everyone else should be doing and doesn't have to figure it out on the spot, cuz they won't be able to

positioning, awareness, how to identify each other and communicate what's going on, personal areas of responsibility, etc.

lotta stuff to take into account because there's a million ways things can go bad or be made worse

sure but ultimately why carry the gun? just for show? just carry it unloaded if you're not intending to go shoot people lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

that's a higher standard than police are trained to

what isn't lol

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Here’s today’s Carolinas AGC (Associated General Contractors) report on the terrorist attacks, in case you were wondering how hard this NC-based publication is trying NOT to mention how they’re politically motivated terrorism.

https://www.cagc.org//CAGC/Advocacy...mz%20Traffic#NC

quote:

Moore County Power Outage
Gov. Roy Cooper on Monday condemned the sabotage of electrical substations in Moore County that left thousands without power as a “criminal attack” and said the incident represented a new kind of threat for officials to deal with.

“Protecting critical infrastructure like our power system must be a top priority. This kind of attack raises a new level of threat,” Cooper said during a press conference Monday afternoon. “We will be evaluating ways to work with our utility providers and state and federal officials to make sure we harden our infrastructure where that’s necessary, and work to prevent future damage.”

Cooper spoke to reporters after meeting with state and local officials who are working on restoring power to tens of thousands of residents and investigating the attack on the two substations that were damaged by gunfire Saturday evening. He said he visited one of the damaged substations earlier in the day, and thanked Duke Energy employees for working “around the clock” to repair and replace the electrical equipment.

While the power restoration effort is underway, Cooper said, officials are focused on helping residents get through the next few days. “Helping the vulnerable people and the places where they live, including adult care homes, is a priority,” Cooper said. “Making sure that people are warm as the night approaches, making sure people are cared for, making sure that critical services at hospitals, at law enforcement, at emergency management services are supported and available — all of that is crucial.”

Earlier, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said during a press briefing that the White House was monitoring the situation and would provide local officials with “any assistance needed on the ground to help them.”

On Sunday, Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said power outages began after 7 p.m. and proceeded to spread across central and southern Moore County. As of midday Monday, more than 33,600 homes and businesses remained without power, The News & Observer reported.

Jeff Brooks, a spokesperson for Duke Energy, said Monday morning the utility company was able to restore power to about 7,000 customers by Sunday night, but that it may take until as long as Thursday to restore power to the majority of customers, as the company tries to replace equipment “that is a little more complex to complete.” Brooks reiterated that assessment of the timeline to restore power Monday afternoon, noting that some equipment would need to be transported to the area and installed safely before power could resume.

In the meantime, to assist the community while the power is out, Duke Energy has pledged an initial commitment of $100,000 to the Red Cross and other organizations, he said.

Officials continued on Monday to provide updates and issue statements on the attack on the substations. “Violence of any kind is unacceptable, and law enforcement is absolutely dedicated to getting to the bottom of what happened in Moore County,” N.C. Attorney General Josh Stein said in a statement. Laura Brewer, a spokesperson for Stein, said his office has been in contact with Duke Energy and law enforcement to receive regular updates. Brewer also noted that since the county has declared a state of emergency, the state’s price gouging law is in effect.

An official at the Department of Homeland Security said the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency is supporting the recovery effort as well. “Secretary Mayorkas has been briefed on the outages impacting residents in Moore County,” Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Marsha Espinosa told McClatchy. “DHS will continue to share information with the FBI, and state and local authorities as the investigation unfolds. CISA leadership and regional teams have offered support to Duke Energy as they work to restore service.”

In a statement, U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson, who ran for reelection this year in a district that covers Moore County, and lives in Southern Pines, thanked Fields, local law enforcement, the State Bureau of Investigation and FBI for their quick response to the incident. On his website, Hudson’s office provided an update with resources, including information about a shelter at the Moore County Sports Complex.

Rep. Ben Moss, R-Montgomery, who also ran for reelection in a state House district that includes Moore County, said the attack was “reprehensible,” adding that the “responsible party needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.”

In recent years, cyber attacks on utilities and other public services have drawn plenty of attention, but state and federal officials have been worried about physical attacks too. An attack on a substation near San Jose in 2013 prompted a congressional hearing about power grid vulnerabilities. Shooters with an assault rifle fired 150 rounds into the Pacific Gas and Electric substation, CNN reported. PG&E avoided disruptions by rerouting power, but the repairs took nearly a month.

Later that year, an Arkansas man set fire to a substation, pulled down a power line and damaged an electric tower in a series of attacks in the central part of the state that temporarily left 9,000 people without power. Federal officials said the attacks caused more than $4.5 million in damages. Jason Woodring, 46, pleaded guilty to federal charges and received a 15-year sentence. He told a judge he saw it as a way to cause an emergency that would bring people together, The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

Not a word about white supremacist groups, drag shows, or the white power leader lady who admitted she organized it. Just random guys plinkin’, just like in other states, what’re ya gonna do?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sure but ultimately why carry the gun? just for show? just carry it unloaded if you're not intending to go shoot people lol

shooting people should never really be an intention anyone has

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
yep, agreed, can't think of another use for a gun, howmever

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You shoot it off into the air to celebrate a wedding

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i don't have a gun

but the purpose, i'd imagine, is to deter people from trying to shoot people in the first place, and fake deterrents don't work

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Yosemite Sam impressions

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Yosemite Sam impressions

Ok I’m convinced

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its because of the implications

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

its because of the implications

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Unless you've been in the military, most people (even chuds), have zero training. Just taking the gun to the range and practicing.

For private training, you have to go to a gun range that actually offers it, which is definitely not your mom and pop gun shops/ranges. And It usually costs maybe $125 per class depending on what it is.

I've taken a few courses and had to drive over an hour to get to a place that offered training. When I got my CCW I didn't have to fire a single shot to prove I could be responsible enough to carry a concealed firearm. It was 100% about the laws. Maybe 4-5 hours or so.

And with open carry..... well..... it's the wild west. I was a big gun guy my whole life and have more guns than most people in the country but these days I'm leaning towards a complete ban on guns unless for hunting and and target shooting. We can't completely ban them because, at least in WI, we literally need hunters to cull the huge deer population. I haven't thought this through at all. Just a feeling that came up a few days ago that I was like... "well god drat it, wtf are we really able to do to stop this?"

I dunno killer Kyle Rittenhitler did pretty good.

Anyway I m sorry I started this derail. Someone shot up power stations for unknown reasons.

The chud connection was some loud mouth saying Jesus did it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

any suggestions for how americans should "fight back" and "step up and stop it"?

Spray bottle. Like you do with cats.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ups_rail posted:

I dunno killer Kyle Rittenhitler did pretty good.

No. He didn't.

He panicked and started blowing people away because his mom bought his 16 year old dumb rear end a rifle and he had no idea WHEN to use it.

Shooting someone is extremely easy. Deciding if or when to shoot someone is not.

He murdered those people 1 mile from me.

quick edit: in my CCW class, it was taught by an ex-sheriff of course, he basically said to never shoot anyone. Ever. Unless you are literally, immediately, without uncertainty going to die and you want to spend some time in court and have a poo poo ton of legal fees because that's where you will end up whether you were justified or not. Honestly, I thought it was a good course.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 8, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I live in a state where you need to pass a shooting test and the right to self-defense comes with a duty to retreat when not in your home and it's ftw

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Buschmaki posted:

I live in a state where you need to pass a shooting test and the right to self-defense comes with a duty to retreat when not in your home and it's ftw

Yeah I know a lot of people in GBS hate TFR but I've learned a quite a bit from them.

Absolutely always... the best defense is a good pair of running shoes.

Also, from what I learned in the CCW class from the sheriff, we have a castle doctrine but if you are aggressive in the least bit, even in your own home, they will call you out on it. He kept saying to retreat to a more interior room and lock the door. Tell them you are armed and call the police. Let them smash and steal everything. No amount of property is worth a life (hey, think about that next time Rittenhouse. That fucker came here under the guise of protecting property which he has never seen nor has he ever met anyone who owned said proptery).

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 8, 2022

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfWzgzby_hM

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Hazo posted:

Here’s today’s Carolinas AGC (Associated General Contractors) report on the terrorist attacks, in case you were wondering how hard this NC-based publication is trying NOT to mention how they’re politically motivated terrorism.

https://www.cagc.org//CAGC/Advocacy...mz%20Traffic#NC

Not a word about white supremacist groups, drag shows, or the white power leader lady who admitted she organized it. Just random guys plinkin’, just like in other states, what’re ya gonna do?

yeah just three random guys all on the same night on the same night of a drag show that was also talked about on social media.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Yeah I know a lot of people in GBS hate TFR but I've learned a quite a bit from them.

Absolutely always... the best defense is a good pair of running shoes.

Also, from what I learned in the CCW class from the sheriff, we have a castle doctrine but if you are aggressive in the least bit, even in your own home, they will call you out on it. He kept saying to retreat to a more interior room and lock the door. Tell them you are armed and call the police. Let them smash and steal everything. No amount of property is worth a life (hey, think about that next time Rittenhouse. That fucker came here under the guise of protecting property which he has never seen nor has he ever met anyone who owned said proptery).

what if the police are the ones breaking into your home and shooting you?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:gas:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

pencilhands posted:

that's usually the case

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

this

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pencilhands posted:

Then you die.

Also you are a super obvious troll in every thread so it'd be best if you would just stop posting.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Then you die.

Also you are a super obvious troll in every thread so it'd be best if you would just stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Sophy Wackles posted:

You may want to contact Facebook in that case. Intentionally causing power outages is some serious poo poo and Facebook can probably check your past activity and link it to deleted posts of theirs. Worth a shot if investigators don’t already have that info.

Holy poo poo, yeah. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I already looked back in my history and know whereabouts things were going down, I'm going to shoot their tip line a hit under my real name and credentials and see what happens...