Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ESPN did a survey about analytics usage by NFL teams

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ed-players-more

Big brain findings within

quote:

Name a player you believe to be generally overrated, based on your quantitatively informed opinion.
Broncos QB Russell Wilson

(there is actually some interesting stuff but that one made me lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AnnieAgar/status/1600158957221203968?s=20&t=vXUNFHCpcOfPWcS26-VOVQ

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

BlindSite posted:

gently caress you. At least our QB situation is better than Denvers.

Pj Walker being better than Russell Wilson this year is incredibly funny and even funnier because it isn't due to PJ improving.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Docjowles posted:

LMAO

quote:

The Cleveland Browns are still the most analytically advanced organization in the NFL, according to an ESPN poll of analytics staffers around the league.

The Browns took the mantle from the Baltimore Ravens in 2021 and kept it this season after receiving a plurality of votes, though their margin is smaller than a year ago. The Browns were voted as the most analytically advanced team by staffers from 10 of 21 teams this year after receiving 17 of 22 votes in 2021.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t really understand this. Baker has to be better than any other backup available. You don’t even have to play him if Purdy keeps it up, but if your choice is Baker or some dude from a practice squad, I don’t know how you don’t pick Baker, unless you just want to be cheap.

I think it's more an acknowledgement that he's unlikely to fall to the 49ers more than a specific statement of disinterest. There are a lot of QB needy teams between the Niners and Baker.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chiefs clinch the West with a win + Chargers loss

Vikings clinch the North with a win / tie

Eagles clinch a WC with a win / tie or 49ers & Seahawks loss

Looks like nobody is eliminated with a loss still.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Docjowles posted:

Browns Analytics: We ran an age analysis and found that Watson is 26 years old and a hell of a quarterback.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Titans fired their GM

Woah there

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Should never have traded Mr AJ Brown

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
holy poo poo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Titans fired their GM

Woah there

The Titans seem like a bad roster that wins exactly if Henry has an insane game. Also I could see ownership saying "you talked me into trading AJ Brown and then he absolutely wrecks us? Why did we trade him again?"

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Robinson had a great first draft where we fleeced the Rams and got a bunch of picks which were used for good players. Since then it has been very hit or miss with a lot more misses. I'm shocked the Titans actually fired him because they are a very conservative organization but maybe with AAS in charge its different.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
lmao good. maybe they realized their insanely good coach isnt gonna stick around if they keep handicapping him

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah this strikes me as Vrabel winning a power struggle.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The body language and stuff surrounding the AJ Brown trade had Vrabel very upset. This is him doing an I told you so.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Big Coach Vrabes said as long as he was coach of Titans, AJ would not be traded…

Then drat… AJ was traded…

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dude gave up a 2+ for the corpse of Julio Jones and never fixed QB from a mediocre Tannehill and Willis sucks. He's a bad GM.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jon Robinson oversaw a team that made the playoffs 4 times in 6 (and will again this year) seasons and never had a losing record

Meanwhile, Tom Telesco and Steve Keim among others ...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jon Robinson oversaw a team that made the playoffs 4 times in 6 (and will again this year) seasons and never had a losing record

It's AFC South. They made the playoffs by default.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Vrabel dragged his depleted roster through a wasteland of a division for years

good move, imo

timing is funny tho

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Trading for Julio and getting rid of Brown should be the kind of moves that get a GM fired.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Trading for Julio and getting rid of Brown should be the kind of moves that get a GM fired.

Bucs signed Julio as a free agent.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

he has made a lot of mistakes but video trending of Philly fans giving the Titans' owner box the finger and laughing and thanking them for AJ Brown probably did stick in her craw yeah lol

he hit big with dudes like Jeff Simmons but missing on dudes like Farley and Wilson and letting people like Conklin and Saffold and AJ go

it cannot be overstated that a lot of Robinson's rep at rebuilding the team comes from Vrabel's success on the field which comes despite Robinson's fuckups and being in a weak division

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol Robinson got extended only a few months ago. He totally was forced out.

Ryan Cowden (VP of personnel) got promoted to GM.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

drat! That is a shocking firing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

it cannot be overstated that a lot of Robinson's rep at rebuilding the team comes from Vrabel's success on the field which comes despite Robinson's fuckups and being in a weak division

yea this, the best thing he did as GM was hire Vrabel.. his personnel moves have been largely poo poo and Vrabel's just a wizard with undrafted dudes and total scrubs otherwise they would never sniff the playoffs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

Dude gave up a 2+ for the corpse of Julio Jones and never fixed QB from a mediocre Tannehill and Willis sucks. He's a bad GM.

Unless you have a top 5 pick it's pretty hard to fix your QB issue. Make the Russel Wilson Trade? Make the Watson trade? Go the Panthers route and trade for broken/busted QBs hoping to magically fix them? It's not an easy thing to just do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Unless you have a top 5 pick it's pretty hard to fix your QB issue. Make the Russel Wilson Trade? Make the Watson trade? Go the Panthers route and trade for broken/busted QBs hoping to magically fix them? It's not an easy thing to just do.

Seems like you figured out that being a GM in the NFL is kinda hard. They make the big bucks for a reason!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Someone said last season that the Tannehill trade was better than the Stafford trade and I will never stop laughing about that.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
he just recently signed an extension, Titans are still gonna pay him until the draft in 2027 lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Vrabel is a good player's coach, but I think credit should go to Arthur Smith coaching up a great offense when he was there while Vrabel's defense was pretty mid.

worth noting Jon Robinson traded a 4th rounder for Tannehill which turned into a major value and honestly a pretty franchise-altering move that made them competitive

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

AndrewP posted:

Vrabel is a good player's coach, but I think credit should go to Arthur Smith coaching up a great offense when he was there while Vrabel's defense was pretty mid.

worth noting Jon Robinson traded a 4th rounder for Tannehill which turned into a major value and honestly a pretty franchise-altering move that made them competitive

arthur smith wanted Mariota to be his QB, so how smart is he actually?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Smart enough not to trade for Baker.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What did we do that was so sinful that God would allow that?

The last time the Panthers hosted a playoff game with a losing record, they won.

Sure, it was against the Arizona Cardinals and they had their 3rd string QB on the field.

https://fbschedules.com/2014-carolina-panthers-schedule/

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MJeff posted:

Someone said last season that the Tannehill trade was better than the Stafford trade and I will never stop laughing about that.

Rams won the Super Bowl so I guess that trumps all, but they paid a lot for it.

They traded two firsts for one good season so far, and now he's all hosed up. TEN traded a 4th and a 7th for Tannehill who has surpassed Stafford's 2021 DYAR three out of his four years. It's not a laughable comparison

really? even more credit to Jon Robinson I guess

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So thats why we havent seen Ridder yet...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If you told me Tannehill on the Rams instead of Stafford would have won that SB I'd believe it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Rams just needed "someone better than Goff" which is a really wide window of QBs

They were also one Tartt dropped INT, on an atrocious throw by Stafford, from not even making the Super Bowl too

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Almost every week this season, my family group text about the Eagles has at least one "I can't believe the Titans just let AJ Brown go," but even then I never thought he'd ball out so hard he'd get a GM shitcanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

he wanted mariota in the context of the smoking ruin that is atlanta's roster while looking at the desolate wasteland of available qbs. they very clearly are tearing the team down to the studs and building it back up. in spite of that they've been pretty competitive and looked decent for a bit. unfortunately everyone has figured out mariota and the poo poo falcons defense so they're struggling to win close games