Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

arthur smith wanted Mariota to be his QB, so how smart is he actually?

Smarter than the guys that traded for Wentz or Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Big Coach Vrabes said as long as he was coach of Titans, AJ would not be traded…

Then drat… AJ was traded…
Ahhhhhh, was wondering.

Don't pay close attention to the Titans but firing
a GM reads like drama I would've known about regardless.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 6, 2022

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Since Jon Robinson was hired the titans have had one incredible draft in 2019 surrounded by a lotjof really bad drafts and bad trades. This is gonna be a very desirable job.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I don't know how desirable it'll be, considering it seems like this is Vrabel consolidating power, meaning you might just end up as a glorified cap guy. And even if you still have the same level of control Robinson had the owner seemingly has pretty high standards if she's firing a guy midseason when they're a year removed from being the 1 seed and currently on track to win the division.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
You have the reigning coach of the year already signed to a long term deal, an established number one at qb with a raw but promising rookie in the wings, and the people looking for GM jobs think their poo poo doesn’t stink. I think if there was something to make you hesitate it’s gotta be the cap situation but a lot of money can be off the books with cuts. They have to sign Simmons but after that there’s a lot of margin for some interesting moves going forward, imo.

Nov 6, 2002

ShakeZula posted:

I don't know how desirable it'll be, considering it seems like this is Vrabel consolidating power, meaning you might just end up as a glorified cap guy. And even if you still have the same level of control Robinson had the owner seemingly has pretty high standards if she's firing a guy midseason when they're a year removed from being the 1 seed and currently on track to win the division.

Just because the team parted ways with the dude doesn't mean Vrabel is turning into Pol Pot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there's maybe one coach per cycle who can afford to turn down a bad job, everyone else happily takes whatever they can get. there's only 5-8 HC/GM openings per year. no potential GM candidate is going to say "no thanks I don't want to be attached to a franchise with a successful coach"

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Relentlessboredomm posted:

he wanted mariota in the context of the smoking ruin that is atlanta's roster while looking at the desolate wasteland of available qbs. they very clearly are tearing the team down to the studs and building it back up. in spite of that they've been pretty competitive and looked decent for a bit. unfortunately everyone has figured out mariota and the poo poo falcons defense so they're struggling to win close games

PS our cap situation was hot garbo.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
mostly joking about Smith and Mariota, I would take Arthur back in a heartbeat having seen this Todd Downing offense

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1600203180876259330

rams-broncos on christmas is getting a nickelodeon feed

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Borderline child abuse.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

those kids are going to love seeing that touch down though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

indigi posted:

there's maybe one coach per cycle who can afford to turn down a bad job, everyone else happily takes whatever they can get. there's only 5-8 HC/GM openings per year. no potential GM candidate is going to say "no thanks I don't want to be attached to a franchise with a successful coach"
Happens all the time with GMs.

George Paton notoriously turned down every interview and offer for like 5 years before taking the Broncos job and immediately lighting the franchise on fire.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
uhhh the new ATN podcast just blew my mind. The clock doesn't stop when you go out of bounds until there is less than 5 min left?! I had ZERO idea.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 6, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Also lol at this entire OBJ dog and pony show.
https://twitter.com/DavidMooreDMN/status/1600204244337860609

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bows1 posted:

uhhh the new ATN podcast just blew my mind. The clock doesn't stop when you go out of bounds until there is less than 5 min left?! I had ZERO idea.

Yup, section 3, article 2,

quote:

Following any timeout (3-37-1), the game clock shall be started on a scrimmage down when the ball is next snapped, except in the following situations:

(a) Whenever a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, the game clock is started when an official spots the ball at the inbounds spot, and the Referee gives the signal to start the game clock, except that the clock will start on the snap:

1 after a change of possession;
2 after the two-minute warning of the first half; or
3 inside the last five minutes of the second half.

(e) If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the snap if:

1 the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half;
2 the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half; or
3 the offense commits a foul after the ball is made ready for play, and causes the clock to stop before a snap, during the fourth quarter or overtime; or
4 a specific rule prescribes otherwise.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jon Robinson oversaw a team that made the playoffs 4 times in 6 (and will again this year) seasons and never had a losing record

I don't care how many times they made the playoffs. They are the 90s Chiefs. Nobody ever thought they would win poo poo and then they didn't. You can win a lot of regular season games that way but pain is coming in the playoffs.

Trust me I lived it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

he wanted mariota in the context of the smoking ruin that is atlanta's roster while looking at the desolate wasteland of available qbs. they very clearly are tearing the team down to the studs and building it back up. in spite of that they've been pretty competitive and looked decent for a bit. unfortunately everyone has figured out mariota and the poo poo falcons defense so they're struggling to win close games

I mean, this is tradition at this point.

bows1 posted:

Yeah it's likely a TV rule change from way back in the day, TV doesn't want games to last for four hours and the NFL wants to keep those contracts flowing.

Although I thought it was supposed to stop until the ball was placed (which takes like 2-5 seconds) and then restart, maybe they changed that too along the way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vertical Lime posted:

Broncos Country

Let's Slime

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Get my son a good OC and a speedy WR

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1600186055281582080

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Just because the team parted ways with the dude doesn't mean Vrabel is turning into Pol Pot.

Who said anything about turning into Pol Pot? All indications are that this was a power struggle that Vrabel won, generally the result of that is increased control over the team for the winner. I don't think it's crazy to think that a potential GM candidate might look at the fact that the coach just ousted the last guy and maybe view it as a less-desirable situation to walk into. A bad job overall? Probably not, but for a hot candidate it might be a dealbreaker.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If anything Vrabel would be a cardinal Richelieu

Nov 6, 2002

Who was an enlightened dictactor? Ehh, Alexander the Great?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 6, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

On the other hand basically this:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1600187732994686976

Something or other is going on there that is weird, whatever it was. It's not like you need to get out in front of the potential GM market or they can do much damage after the trade deadline unless he was negotiating some super weird contracts in season.

e: Beaten by your edit, but yeah, I don't think it's just reporter speculation that there's odd things going on in some fashion.

Nov 6, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Something or other is going on there that is weird, whatever it was. It's not like you need to get out in front of the potential GM market or they can do much damage after the trade deadline unless he was negotiating some super weird contracts in season.

e: Beaten by your edit, but yeah, I don't think it's just reporter speculation that there's odd things going on in some fashion.

I always thought it was strange that teams wait until the offseason to fire their GMs - right when a front office is going to be gearing up to go full steam. I forget what former GM said it, but basically this time of year is when there's almost nothing for a team's GM to do. The trade deadline is long gone, there's hardly any free agents or practice squad bodies left who are worth investigating. The roster is essentially set in stone. If anything firing in December makes more sense.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It's my right to believe "owner threw a hissy fit after watching team get gashed by a player they traded away", and nothing will ever dissuade me

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

tinstaach posted:

It's my right to believe "owner threw a hissy fit after watching team get gashed by a player they traded away", and nothing will ever dissuade me

That's fair, a huge chunk of the Colts fanbase is surprised that Ballard still has a job

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Phalen/status/1600210873234038784?s=20&t=Y4gJ5Tni_f5sOQ2Ph_xJjw

This is one reason. Another is that both the Colts and the Jags might be hunting GMs, so why not get ahead of your direct competitors.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Justin Herbert is gonna have so many kids

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vertical Lime posted:

It's pretty crazy to me that Spongebob Squarepants is still a relevant children's TV show in 2022. I was watching that when I was a kid!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frankly it seems easier to just trade him if you want a better situation for him.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Generally difficult to have a sophisticated enough bureaucracy before the early modern to really qualify as a dictator or absolute monarch, and Alexander certainly didn’t have time to consolidate his empire, but Augustus wouldn’t be a bad choice if you wanted to stay classical. There’s a handful of usual suspects whenever “enlightened despot” is used though: Catherine, Peter, and Frederick the Greats, Joseph II, Maria Theresa. Richelieu would be a fun choice but titans jerseys don’t have enough swag:

(forgive me, it’s basically the chargers offseason)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

That's fair, a huge chunk of the Colts fanbase is surprised that Ballard still has a job

Probably because he's handling his transactions they way his insane owner wants him to

edit: I really hope he doesn't go to the Titans now that I think about it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

You have the reigning coach of the year already signed to a long term deal, an established number one at qb with a raw but promising rookie in the wings, and the people looking for GM jobs think their poo poo doesn’t stink. I

Promising?????

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Grittybeard posted:

seems reasonable that Vrabel strongly disagreed with trading AJ Brown, the owner might've also not been thrilled and then watching him come back and smoke them was just a bridge too far especially with him saying he never wanted to leave Tenn in the first place.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wonder if Matt Ryan stayed on the Falcons if they'd be leading the NFC South right now

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frankly it seems easier to just trade him if you want a better situation for him.

no

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Harlock posted:

I wonder if Matt Ryan stayed on the Falcons if they'd be leading the NFC South right now

maybe but he's gotten so bad at the back breaking turnovers especially with his arm declining further. its hard to say

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can someone tell me if these guys are panning out?

quote:

Gave up: A.J. Brown + 26th pick
Received: WR Treylon Burks + CB Roger McCreary + OT Nicholas Petit-Frere + WR Kyle Philips*

Burks is promising. I mean before getting his brain erased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002