Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There are 10 matches left in this World Cup and today we have two of them!

First, we have a colonizer vs. colonized showdown as perennial World Cup bidders Morocco attempt to retake Ceuta and Melilla (in spirit). The Spanish had an interesting group stage, going from completely demolishing Costa Rica to losing to Japan, so it will be interesting to see which Spain show up against Morocco today. Morocco, meanwhile, looked good in the group stages and topped their group despite it containing Tournament Dark Horses Blegum and Last Time Out Runners-Up Croatia. They were one of only 5 teams to go undefeated in the group stage and hopefully can spare us any more triangles for the rest of the tournament.

Then, Big Ron and his dubious goals record take on the Powercube. Portugal have looked decent but Ronaldo is once again making the tournament all about himself by trying to steal his teammates' goals, throwing strops when substituted, and dominating the headlines with his impending move to Saudi Arabia. Switzerland, meanwhile, had an incredible game against Serbia last time out and will look to carry that fighting spirit into their next match, perhaps literally. Personally I'm hoping for a big Shaq goal, a controversial hand gesture celebration, and an early Portgual exit.

First match kicks off in ninety minutes plus four minutes stoppage time.

:mcrappe: :greencube:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Let's go big ron. Scor sum fackin goals

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
switzerland are gonna win and also do some racism imo

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
we have had no upsets so far this round and portugal has never come close to winning the world cup so it wouldnt count

yes we moroc-can

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The group stage was so good, but these knockout rounds are turning into a snoozefest

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/marca/status/1600121183717957637

its the costa rica team with llorente in place of azpilicueta i think

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

poty posted:

Actually OP I think that's the Spanish team with Llorente in place of Azpi

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wow

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

go switzerocco

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Big Black Dick posted:

go switzerocco

:hmmyes:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Go home Pootugal

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Morocco Spain
Referee: Fernando RAPALLINI (ARG)
AR1: Juan Pablo Belatti (ARG)
AR2: Diego Bonfa (ARG)
Fourth Official: Raphael Claus (BRA)
VAR: Mauro Vigliano (ARG)

I was wondering which Argentinian would get the nod and it looks like they went with Rapallini. A fine choice. He had Morocco Croatia early on and then waited a while until he got Serbia Switzerland, so he's been all about groups G and H. I was wondering what would happen with Mauro Vigliano! He was the VAR on Serbia Switzerland with Rapallini, and there was the sneaky headbutt (more of a headpush really) that was not sent down by him and also this https://streamable.com/nipx8g potential handball by a Swiss defender, which probably should be a penalty the way FIFA and VAR have been adjusting the laws to handball over the last few years. But the post I found this video in mentions that they were not sure if this was in the video feed was part of the ones available to VAR, which.. hey, better lucky than good sometimes. Might also help that he was tied with Fischer and Al Marri for "Most Main VARs in the group stage" and they definitely had to send Al Marri packing - maybe they didn't want to jettison 2 of their 3 most invested so they shrugged it off.

Portugal Switzerland
Referee: Cesar RAMOS (MEX)
AR1: Alberto Morin (MEX)
AR2: Miguel Hernandez (MEX)
Fourth Official: Istvan Kovacs (ROU)
VAR: Drew Fischer (CAN)

I would have bet a lot that this would have gone to a UEFA referee. Glad I can't bet on something like this. CONCACAF got 3 of the 8 Round of 16 matches. This is, for my now theoretically less monies, a poor choice. Ramos was fine on Denmark Tunisia and Belgium Morocco, but this is a political appointment (Mexico referee will work the knockout round) rather than one particularly made on merit. I hope it goes well! But this is going to be such a contrast in styles that I'm not sure if he will be able to set his bar in a way that makes the game work well. If nothing else we can all root for some classic COCNACAF-ry. Fischer, as mentioned in the other blurb, has gotten his way into the main VAR seat quite a lot and is keeping that going. MLS is the premier learning ground for VAR, apparently.

Looking ahead, the first two quarterfinal matches aren't announced yet but with Spain and England on the other side of the bracket, you almost have to give Mateu Lahoz Netherlands - Argentina and one of the Englishmen Croatia - Brazil, right? Wont get another chance to use them if they both win. Obviously England upsetting France is a longshot but, well, could happen, so probably now or never between Oliver and Taylor to be safe.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

All the underdog teams are losing in the group 16 and it sucks. Go on Morocco and Switzerland, score some fackin goals and prove me wrong.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Allez le M’roc

https://twitter.com/gaz_mccarthy/status/1600142295226929152?s=46&t=75_BUy_uHaCJxN6q_zRDIQ

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

poty posted:

Back 5 with rush goalie, spicy

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

cmon morocco

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Why are Spain in blue

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Morocco forcing Spain into these mid sky blue kits is already a huge win imo

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Omnikin posted:

Why are Spain in blue

To gently caress with us I'm guessing

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Nice of laporte to bring his team some spare city kits

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
DO IT FOR US MOROCCO, I swear I’ll even learn your wierd accent and Berber language! I’ll insert so much French into my language I’ll do anything, just WIIIINNNNNN

poty
Jun 21, 2008

the crowd sure is rooting for morocco

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Praying for more Rocco

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
maroc christmas

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
they have received a gift

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Ziyech about to do some nasty poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

decent shot

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
dangit Hakimi that was Hakim's time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

please gif that drummer lol so into it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

bounou my possession is gone

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
is this a "shithouse"

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Spanish blue kit worst in the cup, IMO

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Imagine going all the way to the World Cup and a dude stands right in front of you with a massive drum lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omnikin posted:

dangit Hakimi that was Hakim's time

Mi mi mi instead of im im im

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

let's go, morocco!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Vintersorg posted:

please gif that drummer lol so into it

:discourse:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

can you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel.... what maroc! is cooking *

* a smash and grab injury time winner

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Morocco looking good lets go Morocco

poty
Jun 21, 2008

my face looking at this dude go for 90 mins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Come on Spain, gently caress up.