Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I made no predictions and they all came true once again :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We're halfway through the year so thought i'd check in on my predictions and see how they're going

SG Bamboo posted:

Changing it up this year, going to do at least one prediction for each promotion I follow

- Cheering will finally resume at all Japanese shows
Thankfully yes

NJPW
- Douki will win a title
Not yet, maybe main eventing an AEW show will raise his prifle back home. Please.
- Jay White will be deposed as Bullet Club leader
Yep, by Finlay
- Jake Lee will either win the New Japan Cup or make the G1 finals
Very far off, he instead went to NOAH and is the current GHC Champ

DDT
- Naomi Yoshimura will win a singles title
Has been out injured the entire year, but recently posted that he no longer needs the neck brace so fingers crossed
- Jun Akiyama will lose his title to ASUKA
Nope, lost it to Shunma. Asuka has made very few appearances in DDT this year
- Pheromones will cotinue to suck for the whole year
Yes, they still suck

AJPW
- Yuma Aoyagi will win the Triple Crown
Not yet, but he is the next challenger
- Voodoo Murders will continue to suck the whole year
Yes, even though SUWAMA has left they still suck

AEW
- Konosuke Takeshita will win the All Atlantic title, will backdoor more of his DDT buddies into the AEW sphere
He hasn't won the belt yet, but we did see 37KAMIINA on a Dark so giving myself half points

GLEAT
- El Lindaman will lose the G-REX title, but not to Kaito Ishida
Fuckin lol. He defended against Ishida, then the very next week Ishida won a battle royale for a title shot and won later in the show. Baffling

GanPro
- The Spirit of Ganbare title will change hands before May, not going to predict who wins it because Hartley Jackson still has one more defence this year
Jackson lost it in that final defence of the year, and Watase has held it since

SEAdLINNNG
- Hiroyo will successfully defend against Arisa
Nope, Arisa came back and immediately won the belt she vacated

Big Japan
- BJW will continue to exist despite nobody watching it
Big Japan are still alive, they pulled 618 people to their last Korakuen hall show
- Fuminori Abe will work less than 10 shows in places that are easy to watch for me
He's still mostly in BJW/BASARA but Abe has worked DDT, All Japan, wXw and Tenryu Project allowing me to enjoy him more than I usually get to

TJPW
- Maki Itoh will not defeat Miyu Yamashita in a singles match
They have teamed up a whole bunch, haven't had a singles match this year
- Marika Kobashi will wrestle at least one match in TJPW
She's working a bunch with TJPW's sister promotion GanJo but not yet on a TJPW branded card
- 2023 will be the Year of Mahiro Kiryu
You're goddamn right it is

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sure that sounds fun

IcePhoenix posted:

Shida will win AEW gold again

Someone not currently in AEW will win an AEW title that isn't the All Atlantic

HOOK will lose the FTW title

Something will come out and be confirmed by a reputable source that Jericho plans to retire as a full time wrestler by the end of his current contract.

Probably won't happen because Tony Khan is a coward

Feels like we're building to this one

This one too

I haven't really seen or heard anything about this one but he does seem to be scaling it back so still a chance

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

1 out of 2 so far. somebody's did show their penkis on ppv. when is 2024 predictions coming out? December 8 2023? please remind me using some kind of personalized memo

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

as usual I am on track to be the worst soothsayer in wrestling history, but I will say:

Venomous posted:

-on that note, Konosuke Takeshita will probably wrestle someone from NJPW in AEW in the next year lmao

I am very glad that this happened

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

AEW:

- Eddie Kingston beats MJF to end the reign of terror and win the AEW Title at Grand Slam 2023. I will cry
THIS IS STILL HAPPENING I BELIEVE
- Eddie drops the belt after one successful defence
This is also still happening rip
- CM Punk does not wrestle for AEW in 2023
Lol he got his balls crushed
- Mercedes Moné debuts for AEW. Trinity Fatu does not
Woulda happened if she hadn't broken an ankle
- Athena becomes AEW Women's champion
Still time!
- Tay Melo becomes TBS champion (I'll keep going till I'm right, dammit!)
Too busy having a kid
- Jungle Boy wins the Owen Cup
Nope, not even an entrant
- Sammy Guevara takes another shot at turning face, it still doesn't work
First half correct, second half TBD
- Kota Ibushi debuts
:thunkher:
- Bryan/ZSJ finally get their match at Forbidden Door 2
Nope but maybe Wembley

ROH:

- ROH gets a weekly 1 hour show, the ROH belts disappear from AEW television
3 hours is a lot more hours than 1 hour
- ROH's weekly show never has more than one woman's match per show
Very wrong
- Chris Jericho holds the ROH World title through to Supercard of Honor
Nope, he dropped it to Claudio not long after this post
- The ROH TV title is merged with the ROH World title
Unlikely
- Kidd Bandit signs to ROH
Hehehe I'm so crazy

WWE:

- Cody Rhodes returns at the Royal Rumble, wins and challenges for the Universal title at Wrestlemania. He loses
Nailed it
- Bray Wyatt wrestles less than 10 times
1 is less than 10!
- Miro returns to the company
He returned to a company
- Ricochet is still working for WWE at the end of the year
He's happy to be there!
- Triple H runs out of ex-WWE pops so he starts releasing people to get some more
Not yet

NJPW:

- Will Ospreay wins the G1 and beats Okada for the first time to win the IWGP title at WK 2024
Not the direction they went but I don't even care
- Shota Umino wins his block in the G1
It's definitely possible
- Dave gives Omega/Ospreay 7.5 stars
I whiffed on the Tokyo Dome match but wait till Thursday!
- Taichi wins the New Japan Cup
In a manner of speaking he did
- Aussie Open win the tag titles at Wrestle Kingdom and hold them for the majority of the year
Man Aussie Open are cursed
- Ace Austin and Chris Bey win the Jr tag titles
ABC should be on New Japan way more
- Minoru Suzuki retires
Please no

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

• At least one current big name AEW talent will leave the company in a way that forces booking plans to be rewritten. there's still time for Punk to get bored
  • At least one current big name WWE talent will hold a title in AEW not so far
  • WWE will get more than zero but less than three 5+* matches currently at two
  • Konosuke Takeshita will wrestle for a singles title on pay per view he's getting a singles push so maybe?
  • A weekly Ring Of Honor show of some kind will both debut and still be on the air by the end of the year. on track It will get about the same ratings that Rampage currently gets. nope
  • Gabriel Kidd will keep his poo poo together and not have to take any further mental health breaks before the end of the year on track
  • An episode of RAW will get less than 1,400,000 viewers not so far

• A holder of a CyberFight promotion title will wrestle on an AEW show and bring the belt with them. not so far
  • Jim Ross will step away from weekly wrestling commentary but still make pay per view appearances. currently on hiatus
  • CM Punk will not wrestle a match bzzzt, wrongo
  • An AEW title will be defended in Japan. not so far, but possible
  • Arisu Endo will win a singles match by pinfall or submission She's won two

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

- The Rock will beat Roman at WrestleMania
lol
- Cody will not win any titles for the rest of the year
looking pretty good
- Control Your Narrative will have at least one more show
dead
- Maki Itoh will return to AEW and win a title
tony please

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

forkboy84 posted:

So. Predictions, in no real order.

Keiji Mutoh does not wrestle again this year after his big retirement match in NOAH.

Kota Ibushi turns up at at least 1 GanPro show this year. You'd assume Wrestle Sekigahara but I'd be hardly shocked if it was just a random Itabashi Green Hall event, it'sKita Ibushi, he's mercurial. He was in attendance at their most recent show.

This is one I'm shamelessly stealing from Jamie of the Dramatic DDT blog, but it's pretty plausible. GanPro introduce Tag Titles, and they are intergender belts.

The artist formerly known as Sasha Banks does not get a Is All Elite graphic. She might show up at some point but I don't see it as a regular.

Miyako Matsumoto is on Baka Gaijin + Friends show.

IT'S KZY TIME! Kzy wins the Open The Dream Gate belt at some point. Never stop believing.

One of the Prominence 5 retires. I'm thinking Mochi Natsumi but Akane Fujita & Risa Sera seem candidates. I hope I'm wrong with this one.

Cyberagent buys Big Japan. OK, swinging for the fences here. BJW doesn't seem like it can make any money, Takagi has talked about an Onita inspired promotion, it's not Prominence sadly so gently caress it, BJW. Unlikely but vaguely plausible?

Yuma Aoyagi, Triple Crown champion.

Voodoo Murders gently caress off, finally, from All Japan before year end

10 predictions.

Yes so far. Not yet. They did introduce tag belts but they aren't specifically intergender so I dunno, half point? Sasha Banks isn't All Elite, inshallah. So far no,. I'm right even when reality disagrees, it's always Kzy time. No retirements yet but Suzu left Prominence, Risa Sera left her husband tho? Cyberagent still haven't added a deathmatch promotion, boooooo. Yuma Aoyagi will become Triple Crown champion on 2nd July at Korakuen Hall, AJPW can't be stupid enough to have him lose to Nagata. Voodoo Murders have yet to gently caress off, although Suwama left & it's basically just a vehicle for the Saito Bros now so maybe eventually? Hope springs eternal.

I'm saying 3.5/10 even though the Yuma win hasn't happened yet, it will.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dacap posted:

Sasha Banks is signed by AEW and is women’s champ before 2024

Kylie Rae appears in the Royal Rumble

Roman loses at least one of his two titles to Cody

ROH drops at least one title (or merges it with another)

Austin has another mania match that is less well received than his Owens match

Rampage gets a new timeslot

CM Punk returns and puts over MJF before Kingston wins the big plat at Grand Slam

Betting on these title holders sometime in ‘23

All Atlantic Champion Konosuke Takeshita
AEW Champion Eddie Kingston
AEW Trios Champions Best Friends
ROH Pure Champ Lee Moriarty
TBS Champ Willow Nightingale

Nyla Rose either gets an intergender match with Sepentico or at least gets to Beast Bomb him (partial credit)

AEW does a Toronto pape

Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope (none were permanent changes)
1/3 so far

Nope on any of the champs, but Willow with the Strong belt is the right idea.

Nope

BIG OL’ YES!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A Fancy Hat posted:

CM Punk will return to WWE for a very short run (5 matches tops) but won’t even finish that due to “backstage drama”. We’ll never find out the whole story but Punk will say his passion for pro wrestling was killed again.

NXT will return to being an online-only show focused mostly on getting new talent TV-ready.

AEW’s UK show will be headlined by PAC vs MJF for the world title.

Wrestlemania will not feature The Rock in any capacity, but WWE will keep “hinting” that he might be there, up until the show itself.

There will be a dedicated ROH show. It will be an hour long in a less than ideal time slot, but the first episode will have Jericho, FTR, and a returning Adam Cole in action.

We will get another Forbidden Door PPV this summer. It will take place in the US.

At some point in 2023 The Young Bucks will announce that 2024 will be their last year of being full-time wrestlers.

Lee Moriarty, Jungle Boy, Miro, Willow Nightingale, Best Friends, and Kris Statlander will all win titles in AEW.

Adam Cole will return to the ring.

Jeff Jarrett will be in a 5 star match in AEW, probably a multi-man tag match.

Cody Rhodes will be getting booed by the end of the year, possibly after having Brandi appear as an on-screen valet.

Still could happen but looks pretty unlikely at this point.

Also could still happen, but it looks like WWE is back in the "NXT is a viable third brand!" thing.

Maybe? Hopefully?

I know there was some online talk, but was WWE programming talking about The Rock showing up?

Nope.

We got the show (which was great), but it was in Canada instead.

Maybe?

Statlander did it, Wilow won a title in ANOTHER promotion, and it looks like Jungle Boy might be getting the FTW title (which totally counts!). The rest seem like long shots right now.

Yep!

They've all been 5 stars in my heart, at least.

Doesn't seem like it but I'd need a WWE viewer to confirm.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Spiffster posted:

ROH

1. No titles will change hands until their next PPV and Samoa Joe will be the one to drop a title
wrong wrong wrong
2. Nigel McGuiness will return to ROH and be used as a commentator
he did AND is announcer for AEW collision!
3. Brian Zane will return as a backstage interviewer for ROH
I really would subscribe to ROH if this happened but it hasn’t happened yet
4. Honor Club will struggle to maintain subscribers on its own and the services it provided will eventually be offered on HBO Max.
hbo max is now max, and I haven’t heard a thing about subscriptions rates for ROH
5. Jonathan Gresham will return to ROH and challenge for the World title again in a losing effort.
I think he’s under contract with impact now. Sucks but if he’s happy I’m happy
6. The IWGP champion Jay White will appear and try to bring a Bullet Club presence back to ROH
wrong brand but bullet club gold is a thing now

AEW

1. MJF will make it to Double or Nothing before losing the title. If I had to chose to who it would be Danielson in a rematch with stakes being the Dragon wins or he has to retire for good
not right but dammit did that Danielson MJF match kick rear end
2. Eddie Kingston will become a Champion by years end. Again, if I had to call which one it would be All Atlantic
still hoping for this to be reality…
3. Shelton Benjamin will become All Elite and have a short but surprisingly fun run for a year
probably not this was a really random choice to be honest
4. Dustin Rhodes will pull a Funk and not actually retire despite promises to do so this year.
we will see!
5. Jade Cargill will lose at Revolution to a surprise returning Statlander.
didn’t get the PPV but chose the right victor
6. Forbidden Door 2 will be featured in Japan making it the first AEW event in that country
out of country but not Japan
7. AEW’s backlog of programming will start to appear on HBO Max.
not even called HBO Max anymore. Could be Max but we will see

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I predicted Ethan Page would win a title in AEW this year.

And he won their video games title, (briefly before Orange Cassidy took it off him.) I'm counting it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

NJPW -
This years G1 winner will be a first time winner

WWE -
This one is a softball, Roman Reigns will lose the title this year

GCW -
Nick Wayne will win one of GCW's titles

Seeing the G1 lineup this year I feel good about that prediction

I'm starting to despair on Roman losing his title this year

I got one right so far! East West Express are your tag champions!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Sure that sounds fun

Probably won't happen because Tony Khan is a coward

Feels like we're building to this one

This one too

I haven't really seen or heard anything about this one but he does seem to be scaling it back so still a chance

Up to 2/4 now because Tony stopped being a big coward

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

alrighty then.

81% right wrong last year. I don't see that number decreasing for a fourth year in a row. If it does, oh well, good for me I guess. As history has proven, however, I am pretty poo poo at this. Preferably I'd like to get 99% of these wrong.

gently caress it though. One more year, then I'll see if I enjoy this enough to keep going.

well, that's been another year. Been thinking about it, and frankly, I don't see myself doing this again. I only really watch AEW nowadays, so I don't really follow anything else in the US and Japan besides what I occasionally read on this forum and the Observer now and again, and I'm pretty sure my predictions'll just become increasingly unhinged from reality, if they aren't already. I could just limit it to AEW and maybe WWE predictions for next year, but considering I've gone so hard until now, it'd be a bit of a downgrade to these threads tbh.

Anyway, last lot of wrong predictions, lfg.

Venomous posted:

By this time next year (December 13th 2023), the following will be the champions and tournament winners of these major companies:

WWE:

WWE Champion: Cody Rhodes

this is how you know these predictions suck: I thought they'd split the belts at Mania. I was never going to be right. Even if you pretended that I meant the WHC, I would still be wrong, because Seth isn't losing that thing before Mania 40.

Venomous posted:

Universal Champion: Roman Reigns

The token correct prediction.

Venomous posted:

Intercontinental Champion: Ricochet

lol. lmao.

Venomous posted:

US Champion: Bron Breakker

we are in the stupidest fuckin timeline, I mean Logan Paul? Incredible

Venomous posted:

Raw Tag Team Champions: The Creed Brothers
Smackdown Tag Team Champions: The Usos

I mean wtf can I say, either WWE is stupid or I am, -2 to me here anyway

Venomous posted:

Raw Women's Champion: Asuka
Smackdown Women's Champion: Liv Morgan

I didn't realise the champion lineages would switch, so that the Raw Women's Champion is on Smackdown and vice versa. Anyway it's Iyo Sky and Rhea Ripley now, so w/e, -2 again and I don't have to worry about what lineage is represented by what belt now or whatever

Venomous posted:

Women's Tag Team Champions: Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch

I was feeling really uninspired by a lot of these tag team predictions, so I just ended up doing something like the two aces of the company like in this one. Anyway, it's Chelsea Green and Piper Niven, so no

Venomous posted:

NXT Champion: Dragon Lee

Pleasantly surprised that it isn't. Ilja's one of the best European wrestlers of all time, so I'm glad he's champ again.

Venomous posted:

NXT NA Champion: Charlie Dempsey

Cagematch tells me that Charlie Dempsey challenged for this once, in April, and he lost in 8 minutes and 43 seconds. He has done nothing of substance since, probably. (Also, lmao that I had the right wrestler with the wrong belt!)

Venomous posted:

NXT Tag Team Champions: Christ alive, idk, uhhhh Damon Kemp and Roddy Strong

I can't remember who Damon Kemp is. Apparently he was in Diamond Mine with Roddy, and they left within a month of each other. To be fair, I never anticipated that Roddy would leave the Fed, or that he'd now be doing great work with the Kingdom and ADAAAAAAM!

Venomous posted:

NXT Women's Champion: looks like Kylie Rae's new name is Briana Ray, so let's go with her

Kylie Rae was not actually signed to WWE! In fact, she hasn't wrestled since February. gj me!

Venomous posted:

NXT Women's Tag Team Champions: uhhh Sol Ruca and Fallon Henley

Oh, they unified it. That's neat. They should've done it years ago so I could score a point for it, but w/e, I haven't watched WWE for years lmao.

Venomous posted:

and now, three titles that don't yet exist and, God help us, are probably going to exist this time next year:
NXT Europe Champion: Ilja Dragunov
NXT Europe Women's Champion: trying to think of a wrestler on the continent that's likely to jump to the Fed. Let's say Aliss Ink.
NXT Europe Tag Team Champions: likewise, I have no idea really. gently caress it, Michael Oku and Connor Mills.

-3, and I am so loving glad of it.

Venomous posted:

Royal Rumble winner: Cody Rhodes

That was my other gimme.

Venomous posted:

Women's Royal Rumble winner: Charlotte Flair

oh, right, Charlotte won the belt 17 days after I posted this originally. Hence why she brought the belt into Mania.

Venomous posted:

Money In The Bank winner: Gunther

If the WHC wasn't just a McGuffin for the Roman storyline, I'd have suggested that Gunther should win this and cash in on Seth. Oh well.

Venomous posted:

Women's Money In The Bank winner: Bianca Belair

She wasn't even in the match! She was doing...idk what she was doing, don't really care, but she wasn't in the match!

Venomous posted:

AEW:

AEW Champion: Ricky Starks

I thought Starks would be a top face by now. CM Punk clearly ruined it for everyone.

Venomous posted:

AEW TNT Champion: Danhausen

Yeah, this is never happening, nor do I want it to anymore. Anyway, I don't even know if Danhausen's father is dead.

Venomous posted:

AEW TBS Champion: Kris Statlander

off by a month!!!

Venomous posted:

AEW All-Atlantic Champion: Darby Allin

International now, and no.

Venomous posted:

FTW Champion: Daniel Garcia

Nope, but at least Garcia's a better dancer than HOOK.

Venomous posted:

AEW Women's Champion: Jade Cargill

This time last year I would've been so disappointed if you told me that Toni Storm would be AEW Women's Champion right now. Back then, of course, we didn't know that she was quite so timeless.

Venomous posted:

AEW Tag Team Champions: Orange Cassidy and Tomohiro Ishii

idk where this came from. Anyway, the current champs are just as random.

Venomous posted:

AEW 6-Man Champions: gently caress it, Chris Jericho, Matt Menard, and Angelo Parker

I really should've anticipated that The Acclaimed would still be over.

Venomous posted:

ROH:

ROH World Champion: Bandido

Nope, but I wouldn't be averse to putting the Yank Triple Crown on him. NJPW probably would tho, considering he's a AAA guy and all.

Venomous posted:

ROH Pure Champion: Lee Moriarty

At least it's one of the Four Killers. (I really want to make the Four Killers of AEW happen.)

Venomous posted:

ROH Women's World Champion: Willow Nightingale

Well, Athena rules anyway.

Venomous posted:

ROH World Tag Team Champions: Juice Robinson and uhhh Anthony Henry

'The Workhorsemen will disband and Anthony Henry will team with Juice. I am very smart'

anyway, nobody saw MJF/Cole coming lmao

Venomous posted:

ROH World 6-Man Champions: Jay Lethal, Jeff Jarrett, and Satnam Singh

I really wouldn't be averse to it. The Gates and Cage are good in the role atm tho.

Venomous posted:

NJPW:

IWGP World Heavyweight Champion: Shota Umino

At least the champ's name starts with an S.

Venomous posted:

IWGP United States Champion: Bryan Danielson

Never happening, and that's okay. At least Bryan's in NJPW now.

Venomous posted:

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion: Francesco Akira

I still love Hiromu, I just don't really care about NJPW enough to keep up with his work now. I'm glad for Hiromu, anyway.

Venomous posted:

IWGP Tag Team Champions: Aussie Open

Well, they were champs this year...

Venomous posted:

IWGP KOPW Champion: Zack Sabre Jr.

I don't see why we can't have the Dangerous Tekkers exploding next year.

Venomous posted:

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions: BUSHI and Titán

At least I picked an actual team this time.

Venomous posted:

IWGP Women's Champion: Syuri

Syuri has never challenged for the IWGP Women's Championship. She should.

Venomous posted:

IWGP TV Champion: Hiroshi Tanahashi

NJPW World. Anyway, give it a month.

Venomous posted:

NEVER Openweight Champion: Ren Narita

Why the gently caress is Ren Narita in House of Torture now? That seems like a tragedy. Anyway, Shingo is cool

Venomous posted:

Strong Openweight Champion: Blake Christian

Eddie :unsmith:

Venomous posted:

NEVER 6-Man Champions: Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and Hiromu Takahashi

One's the world champ, one's the junior champ, one's the G1 winner, and of the three of them, one isn't in LIJ anymore. Great job, me

Venomous posted:

New Japan Cup winner: Kazuchika Okada

I seriously thought they were doing the Okada/Tana storyline again with Shota Umino? Really?

Venomous posted:

Best of the Super Juniors winner: Robbie Eagles

I never suspected Wato for a second.

Venomous posted:

G1 Climax winner: Jay White
(Will he hold it to the Tokyo Dome?: Yes)

They're going to do the Okada/Tana storyline again and condense it down so Shooter beats Jay at the Dome for some reason. I am really bad at this

Venomous posted:

Super Junior Tag League winners: Christ, idk. Lio Rush and YOH are in the finals this year, so let's say them again, why tf not

Because they weren't even teaming together this year!

Venomous posted:

World Tag League winners: Aussie Open

I maintain they'd still have worked WTL and maybe even won if Davis weren't injured.

Venomous posted:

AJPW:

Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion: Yuma Aoyagi

Would've been right a month ago. Goddamnit. Congrats to Nakajima, anyway.

Venomous posted:

World Tag Team Champions: Kento Miyahara and Takuya Nomura

I would've been half right two months ago. Oh well.

Venomous posted:

World Junior Heavyweight Champion: Dan Tamura

Give it a month.

Venomous posted:

All Asia Tag Team Champions: blurghhhhhhh idgaf Jun Saito and Rei Saito

ahahahaha once again I had the right wrestlers WITH THE WRONG BELTS

Venomous posted:

Gaora TV Champion: Toru Yano

I mean, he should,

Venomous posted:

AJPW TV 6-Man Tag Team Champions: *spins one more wheel* Black Menso-re, Kuma Arashi, and Atsuki Aoyagi

Not even close. Wouldn't have even guessed the other two.

Venomous posted:

Champion Carnival winner: Naoya Nomura

He was injured!

Venomous posted:

Jr. Battle of Glory winner: Rising HAYATO

Could've easily happened. Kinda funny how I thought Tamura would be champ by now.

Venomous posted:

Royal Road Tournament winner: Yuma Aoyagi

Never thought Bread Club could stand tall over AJPW like that again.

Venomous posted:

World's Strongest Tag Determination League winners: Ryuki Honda and Shotaro Ashino

I'm not even half right here!

Venomous posted:

NOAH:

GHC Heavyweight Champion: Yoshiki Inamura

ha. I really was just pulling poo poo out of my arse at this point.

Venomous posted:

GHC Junior Heavyweight Champion: Hajime Ohara

I've never even heard of Daga. Good for him!

Venomous posted:

GHC National Champion: Hideki Suzuki

I was into Jack Morris before he went to NOAH! He was a regular at Discovery Wrestling in Edinburgh. Might still be, idk, haven't been to a Disco show since I caught the roni there two Aprils ago. Anyway, I'm glad he's getting over in NOAH, even if he supposedly isn't that great compared to his peers. (Also, lmao, I almost said Jack Morris for the junior belt above. Couldn't even say I predicted he'd win a belt!)

Venomous posted:

GHC Tag Team Champions: Kaito Kiyomiya and Kenoh

Of course I thought Kenoh'd be tag champ, it's not like he was GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OR ANYTHING

anyway, once again, happy for Jack Morris!

Venomous posted:

GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions: Ninja Mack and Extreme Tiger

Not even close.

Venomous posted:

N1 Victory Winner: Yoshiki Inamura

yeeeah, my predictions last year really were utterly unhinged lmao. There really is no point continuing next year.

I'd say it's been a good run, but it really hasn't. Anyway, as usual, these don't count:

Venomous posted:

additionally:

-Vince probably won't be dead, even if he isn't running the company

yep.

Venomous posted:

-NXT Europe will be loving atrocious, but it will not completely kill the continent by this time next year (because their talent will still be able to take outside bookings for now lmao)

wrong, because NXT Europe isn't happening lfg!!!

Venomous posted:

-CM Punk will wrestle in the next year

that's a gimme.

Venomous posted:

-there will be one big defection from NJPW to WWE, despite KUSHIDA's efforts to make them stay or at least go to AEW

I think Kairi counts as this tbh.

Venomous posted:

-on that note, Konosuke Takeshita will probably wrestle someone from NJPW in AEW in the next year lmao

I am so glad this happened. Just seeing Takeshita and Ishii battering each other was *chef's kiss*

so yeah, that is an abysmal 2/67, or 97.1% wrong. To be fair, it's a lot closer to 99% than I've ever been, but it's still really bad. Oh well. gg no re

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 16, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

• At least one current big name AEW talent will leave the company in a way that forces booking plans to be rewritten. lolpunk
  • At least one current big name WWE talent will hold a title in AEW. nope, Adam Copeland came close.
  • WWE will get more than zero but less than three 5+* matches they currently have two
  • Konosuke Takeshita will wrestle for a singles title on pay per view nope
  • A weekly Ring Of Honor show of some kind will both debut and still be on the air by the end of the year. ( yes) It will get about the same ratings that Rampage currently gets.( no)
  • Gabriel Kidd will keep his poo poo together and not have to take any further mental health breaks before the end of the year yes and thank gently caress
  • An episode of RAW will get less than 1,400,000 viewers yes. It was the worst thing to ever happen on 9/11

• A holder of a CyberFight promotion title will wrestle on an AEW show and bring the belt with them. no. Mao and Shunma Katsumata competed on AEW Dark Elevation against Kip Sabian, The Butcher, and The Blade, but while they were KO-D tag champs they did not bring the belts.
  • Jim Ross will step away from weekly wrestling commentary but still make pay per view appearances. yeah kinda
  • CM Punk will not wrestle a match nope
  • An AEW title will be defended in Japan. nope
  • Arisu Endo will win a singles match by pinfall or submission like seven of them

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 13, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Edward Mass posted:

-The WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship are split, leading to...
-The Big Gold Belt returns to WWE, replacing the Universal Championship in some form
-A Casino Battle Royal winner FINALLY captures gold in AEW
-Hangman Page wins either the AEW TNT Championship or AEW All-Atlantic Championship
-The man to dethrone Josh Alexander as Impact World Champion is a Bullet Club member
-Impact Wrestling signs a new TV deal that gets them in over 80 million households in the United States
-Will Osprey dethrones Mitsuharu Misawa as the wrestler with the most 5* matches from Dave Meltzer

No
Kind of
Do they even DO Casino Battle Royals anymore?
No
No
No
Yes

I hit .214, above the Mendoza line.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

zetamind2000 posted:

- The Rock will beat Roman at WrestleMania
- Cody will not win any titles for the rest of the year
- Control Your Narrative will have at least one more show
- Maki Itoh will return to AEW and win a title

lol
I should have said heavyweight title
lol I wish
THERE'S STILL TIME

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

WWE

- they will test the waters by bringing in Velveteen dream as a guest trainer at the PC

No, but there were unverified rumours he was at the PC recently

quote:

- they will to sign Okada to no success. They will land at least one major New Japan star though

Nope. I thought they’d land Jay White. Dragon Lee signed prior to 2023.

quote:

- they’ll renew with both fox and Universal, but Fox will become increasingly controlling of Smackdown stars appearing on peacock

Pretty wrong on this.

quote:

- Kevin Dunn will remain employed throughout the year

I think this is right.

quote:

- Roman Reigns will remain universal champ for the year, but they will split one of the belts off of him

I’m half right.

quote:

- FTR will return and get a strong push for 3 months before becoming forgotten about

Turns out they didn’t have to jump for this

quote:

- William Regal will appear on tv before the 1 year agreement is up

Surprisingly no.

quote:

- The Rock Will job to Roman at Wrestlemania

Nah

quote:

- Stone Cold will wrestle at Wrestlemania

I think he fought Owens.

AEW

quote:

- MJF will lose the title to Danielson at DoN
Sadly no.

quote:

- they’ll try to face turn MJF by revealing that he signed a new deal but it will kind of flop

His face run flopped in a whole different way.

quote:

- Bandido and Takeshita will win the tag titles

Nope

quote:

- House of Black will become trios champs

Yep.

quote:

- Miro will finally return to tv and win the all-Atlantic title

He returned to tv, but no title.

quote:

- Thunder Rosa will leave the promotion

No

quote:

- Fight Forever will be well-received but criticized for its small roster. They will have a very successful season pass for dlc

Small roster, mixed reviews, terrible season pass

quote:

- ROH will get a tv deal
- AEW will be added to Max

No

quote:

Impact
- at least 3 wrestlers will be killed off when leaving
- Joe Hendry will get signed by WWE, who will change his name and not understand the gimmick at all

I didn’t follow impact at all so no clue if they did this.

NWA

quote:

- Tyrus will hold the title for the entire year. No one will care.

Half right.

quote:

Edit: added on December 29: I’m going to add one more - Bad Bunny will wrestle at Wrestlemania, and will hold WWE gold in 2023.

No

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think he fought Owens.

That was last year's mania 38

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Shida will win AEW gold again

Someone not currently in AEW will win an AEW title that isn't the All Atlantic

HOOK will lose the FTW title

Something will come out and be confirmed by a reputable source that Jericho plans to retire as a full time wrestler by the end of his current contract.

still at 2/4, really thought I had a chance to back into the second prediction when they changed the name lol. A little surprised that Switchblade didn't make that one come true, either.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Fentry posted:

MJF will have multiple defenses over Bryan, Wardlow, an NJPW competitor and others before losing to Eddie Kingston. This will drive him insane.

Timeline is going to be longer than I thought but I still hope this ends up happening. I think MJF is holding on to the belt until he turns heel again but my main concern now is I think eventually losing it to Ospreay at next years All In makes a lot of sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Here are how my terrible predictions went, which were so bad one of them was wrong before the end of 2022! That's why predictions should only be made at the actual end of the year!

Jerusalem posted:

- WWE gets sold to NBC/Peacock before the next rights deal to avoid sinking all the money into an external company rather than just owning it themselves.

WRONG. Vince forced himself back onto the board with the justification that only he could get them the most money in a sale, then proceeded to take the deal with the least money offered because Endeavor were the only ones who would guarantee he would keep a job, everybody else was aware he's loving poison.

Jerusalem posted:

- All Japan agrees to sell to WWE but this gets the kibosh when NBC purchases WWE. All Japan collapses and its key wrestlers filter out to various Japanese promotions.

WRONG. Not even remotely close to being true, in fact All Japan actually seem to be doing pretty good now!

Jerusalem posted:

- NJPW and Stardom do at least 2 Crossover Shows in 2023.

WRONG. 0 joint shows, just a couple of New Japan shows that featured a Stardom wrestler defending the IWGP Women's Title :smith:

Jerusalem posted:

- Shinsuke Nakamura will wrestle on at least one New Japan show.

WRONG. He did not! In fact, all his Japan appearances (in-ring or as video messages) to the best of my knowledge were through Cyberfight associated promotions/shows.

Jerusalem posted:

- Bryan Danielson wrestles in the G1.

WRONG. Sadly, though they are doing the Continental Classic in AEW as a placebo and that is going pretty great!

Jerusalem posted:

- Konosuke Takeshita becomes the All Atlantic Champion in AEW.

WRONG. Push this man, Tony Khan!

Jerusalem posted:

- Andrade El Idolo makes his return to WWE, is immediately paired with Santos Escobar. Reports will air before the end of the year that he isn't happy with how he is being booked.

WRONG. Andrade is back wrestling for AEW. Rey Mysterio Jr. hooked up with Santos Escobar and reformed the Latino World Order, and the ex-WWE wrestler who came back to join them was... Carlito!?!

Jerusalem posted:

- Miu Watanabe will win the Princess of Princess Championship.

WRONG. :negative:

Jerusalem posted:

- Kota Ibushi and Kenny Omega reunite on a DDT show and wrestle at least one tag match on AEW, a PPV match against The Young Bucks.

WRONG. They did reunite, but not at DDT. They did have PPV matches in AEW, but none against the Young Bucks, in fact one of the matches they teamed with them.

Jerusalem posted:

- Taichi takes over Suzuki-Gun as their new leader, but it keeps the name and Suzuki remains a member, but now in a more background role.

WRONG. Definitely wrong. 1000% wrong. Suzuki-gun broke up before the end of 2022, with Taichi forming Just 4 Guys which turned into Just 5 Guys when he convinced SANADA to shake off his indifference, leave Los Ingobernables de Japon, and helped him to become the IWGP Champion. ZSJ joined and took over TMDK, Suzuki and Desperado formed Strong Style and appear to be loosely connected with Lance Archer again (with Alex Zayne!) after the World Tag League.

Jerusalem posted:

- The longest reigning GHC Champion for NOAH in 2023 will be aged 50+ years old.

WRONG. Happy to be wrong! The two longest reigning champions for 2023 were Jake Lee at 34-years-old and a 223 day reign, and Kaito Kiyomiya at 27-years-old and a 175 day reign (3 months of which were in 2022).

Jerusalem posted:

- CM Punk will return to WWE and wrestle on a Blood Money show in Saudi Arabia.

WRONG. So close to being right though! He returned to AEW, imploded spectacularly at the biggest show in the promotion's history, got fired for cause, was the one to approach WWE asking them for a job, and is back in WWE now but has NOT yet sucked a blood money covered dick in Saudi Arabia like a loving dork. Yet.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Pikavangelist posted:

Ronda Rousey gets future endeavored for posting QAnon bullshit on social media.

I'll claim partial credit on this one. She left the fed, but it was her decision rather than it being forced on her because of anything she posted on The Website Formerly Known As Twitter.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

aew will put on a sixth ppv that will inexplicably be held in chicago, it will do 115k buys
seattle but i nailed the buyrate.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the uk dynamite will not be a sell out but will be a critically acclaimed card.
they did not do a uk dynamite.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

mjf will lose the world title at winter is coming 2023
i have less than a day to be vindicated.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

aew will have their deal with wmd renewed but it won't be for a whole lot more than the current deal
i dont think it was renewed but they did add a tv show.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

nigel mcguinness will appear on the first episode of the new ring of honor series
pretend i said collision.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

bryan danielson vs samoa joe will happen on a show
sadly no

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sting will have his retirement match against darby allin
too early.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

roman reigns will defeat dwayne johnson at wrestlemania
lol nope

STONE COLD 64 posted:

mjf will do cross promotion with dana whites slap league
thank god not

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the xfl will successfully have their season from start to finish and not go under.
touchdown

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the second roh ppv of 2023 will be headlined by a tag title match and draw okay, like between 1500 and 4000.
it was the womens world championship

STONE COLD 64 posted:

britt baker will defeat jade cargill for the tbs title and goon reactions will definitely be something to see
britt still hasnt returned :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my one and only prediction was tony khan having a massive twitter meltdown and retiring from aew air to be a suit in the company instead. you've still got 17 days, tony. don't let me down.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pretty mad Kota Ibushi never showed up in GanPro tbh. What sort of friend to Ken Ohka are you?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A Fancy Hat posted:

CM Punk will return to WWE for a very short run (5 matches tops) but won’t even finish that due to “backstage drama”. We’ll never find out the whole story but Punk will say his passion for pro wrestling was killed again.

At some point in 2023 The Young Bucks will announce that 2024 will be their last year of being full-time wrestlers.

Jeff Jarrett will be in a 5 star match in AEW, probably a multi-man tag match.

Removing the ones that either definitely won't happen or already passed:

1) THIS COULD STILL HAPPEN!!!

2) Seems very unlikely especially with a new heel persona coming up

3) I mean the Leatherface match is 5 stars imho. But this seems pretty unlikely otherwise.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't make any predictions at the start but I did have a Toxx that was that MJF would be champion at some point in 2023 which was originally unintentionally worded as "if MJF isn't champion at some point in 2023" which would mean he needed to be champion for the entire year.

Assuming he's not losing to Joe at World's End, I wouldn't have needed to change the wording after all.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I'll try to keep this post from hogging too much space:

ThePariah posted:

AEW

Adam Page reunites with the Elite
FTR will stay in AEW, but won't win AEW/ROH gold all year
Jade Cargill's streak will end to somebody other than Kris Statlander
Kenny Omega will not win a singles title all year
Miro will leave AEW
MJF will hold the World title all year, getting the record for longest AEW World title reign in the process
Samoa Joe will leave AEW
Stu Grayson will return to AEW
The wrestler known as Sasha Banks will debut in AEW
Wardlow will main event a PPV

True
False
False
False, I should've specified "in AEW"
False
True (thus far)
False
True
False, unless you count the All In cameo
lol

ThePariah posted:

NJPW

Bryan Danielson will wrestle a match in Japan, but not in the G1
Hiroshi Tanahashi will finish in the bottom half of his G1 block
Kazuchika Okada will win the IWGP title at WK, lose it before G1
Kenny Omega will wrestle more than one match in Japan, but not in the G1
Nobody from AEW who hasn't worked for NJPW before will appear in the G1
SANADA will win the New Japan Cup
Tetsuya Naito will win the G1 Climax
The wrestler known as Sasha Banks will win the IWGP Women's Championship
Will Ospreay will end the year as IWGP champion
Zack Sabre Jr will win an NJPW singles title (besides the Television title)

False, January 4th is next year
True
True
True (he wrestled two)
True (Eddie Kingston had worked for NJPW before, and wrestled a couple matches in Japan right before the G1)
True
True
True
False
False

ThePariah posted:

WWE

Bron Breakker will stay in NXT all year
Chad Gable will leave WWE
Charlotte Flair will beat Bianca Belair
CM Punk will return to WWE
Cody Rhodes will NOT win the Royal Rumble, but will win a World title
Mustafa Ali will leave WWE
Roman Reigns will drop the titles, but get at least one world title back before the end of the year
Sasha Banks will return to WWE (yes, I believe she will be in all three companies next year)
The Rock will wrestle more matches than John Cena
Top Dolla will be released

True
False
False
True
False on both counts
True
False
False
False
True

Final tally thus far:
14 true (AEW 3, NJPW 7, WWE 4), 16 false (AEW 7, NJPW 3, WWE 6)

A couple of these could still change, and a couple are up for interpretation, but I'm about as accurate as a coin flip. I nailed some long shots like Punk's WWE return, and whiffed on some I considered safe like Miro leaving AEW. Then again, 2023 has been such a wild year for wrestling that some of the long shots here seem mild by comparison.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TRUE

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Sticky Nate posted:

-CM Punk returns to wrestling (again) - this is correct twice
-Powerhouse Hobbs wins the TNT title at Revolution - wrong

-WWE/GCW relationship - wrong
-WWE tries to get a show on Wednesday nights - wrong

-Jake Lee does not wrestle in the G1 - correct
-Ishii does not wrestle in the G1 - wrong
-Keiji Muto beats Shinsuke Nakamura - wrong
-Masakatsu Funaki has less than 3 clean singles losses - correct. the only man he put over in singles was Josh Barnett

-Bully Ray becomes Impact champion - wrong
-Bully Ray becomes NWA champion - wrong

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Sticky Nate posted:

-CM Punk returns to wrestling (again) - this is correct twice

Actually I think you'll find he returned to wrestling once and sports entertainment once.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cavauro posted:

1 out of 2 so far. somebody's did show their penkis on ppv. when is 2024 predictions coming out? December 8 2023? please remind me using some kind of personalized memo

no one reminded me. when is it coming out?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Xerzes posted:

Akira Tozawa ends 2023 with a Dragon Gate title

If I predict it every year I will eventually be right

Maybe I need to give up on this and accept that he'll work the rest of his career in various racist comedy gimmicks

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SG Bamboo posted:

Changing it up this year, going to do at least one prediction for each promotion I follow

Cheering will finally resume at all Japanese shows
- :hai:

NJPW
Douki will win a title
- Nope, still a jobber :(

Jay White will be deposed as Bullet Club leader
- Finlay is now leader of BC, Jay is leader of a BC subgroup in AEW

Jake Lee will either win the New Japan Cup or make the G1 finals
- lolno, he went to NOAH

DDT
Naomi Yoshimura will win a singles title
- Nope, out with injury the whole year :(

Jun Akiyama will lose his title to ASUKA
- Nope, lost it to Shunma. Asuka has made very few appearances in DDT this year

Pheromones will cotinue to suck for the whole year
- Nope, Pheromones are dead :neckbeard: Dieno still sucks, but Iino is doing hoss poo poo again which is great

AJPW
Yuma Aoyagi will win the Triple Crown
- Yep, won and lost. His reign was rad

Voodoo Murders will continue to suck the whole year
- Nope, Voodoo Murders is basically just the Saito Brothers now and they've turned into pretty serviceable brawlers

AEW
Konosuke Takeshita will win the All Atlantic title, will backdoor more of his DDT buddies into the AEW sphere
- Nope to the title, yes because 37KAMIINA worked a Dark match

GLEAT
El Lindaman will lose the G-REX title, but not to Kaito Ishida
- Nope, he lost it to Ishida

GanPro
The Spirit of Ganbare title will change hands before May
- Partial score, Jackson lost it to Watase after these predictions were made but before 2023 started

SEAdLINNNG
Hiroyo will successfully defend against Arisa
- Nope, Arisa immediately won the belt back when she returned from injury

Big Japan
BJW will continue to exist despite nobody watching it
- Yep, it's still around and still drawing poo poo

Fuminori Abe will work less than 10 shows in places that are easy to watch for me
- Nope, he went freelance but worked a bunch in DDT, All Japan, wXw and Tenryu Project

TJPW
Maki Itoh will not defeat Miyu Yamashita in a singles match
- Yep, but only because they did not have a singles match this year. Itoh has spent just as much time outside of TJPW this year than in it

Marika Kobashi will wrestle at least one match in TJPW
- Nope, she was TJPW adjacent in GanJo but not actual Tokyo Joshi shows

2023 will be the Year of Mahiro Kiryu
- Hell yeah it was

6 Right, 10 Wrong (Although a few of those were negative predictions i'm happy to have gotten wrong), and 2 partial credits (one where half the statement was true, the other because it happened in like the last week of 2022)

So not great on the whole

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The replies here and a reminder from a friendly Forums Poster made me realize that yes, it’s time for a 2024 thread!

Unfortunately, I’ve completely fallen off the wrassles loop this year, partly due to access issues when I was living in a diff country, partly due to getting severely fed up with the endless CM Punk-related discourse and partly due to me simply not being able to make it to shows in Germany and Finland due to other commitments. To me, pro wrestling lives in a live environment and if I’m not seeing poo poo live, my interest in general fades.

Perhaps next year I’ll try to hop on back in. I intend to watch Wrestle Kingdom, at least. In the meantime though, maybe someone else would like to take up the reins of the yearly prediction thread? I can tally up the results from this year.