Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Flair posted:

I have found the Armored Core 4 LP to add to the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819022

Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just want to, while I'm here, express my vehement disappointment in From that AC6's title is a pun like Armored Core 2: Another Age, Ninebreaker, or Armored Core for Answer's were. Verdict Day was like... Eh, you kinda tried with the V=5, so whatever. But I expect more from From's pun game than this.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Notably, a few Let's Plays have been posted in that thread over time:

I have completed the mission set forth by nine-gear crow all those years ago: I have found the LP for Armored Core V: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674831

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flair posted:

I have completed the mission set forth by nine-gear crow all those years ago: I have found the LP for Armored Core V: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674831

You've got to admire Atlatl's dedication to designing the gaudiest loving monstrosity he could get away with and then playing the whole game with it. If you're not playing Armored Core with a lumbering pink piece of poo poo that looks like a dildo and just pisses laser death at anything in your path, you're doing it wrong.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
ACVI: AF Spirit of Greaterwill

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Armored Core: Prepare To Die In Under VI-ty Seconds Edition

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone translate this comic please

https://twitter.com/AC4_Fi0na_suk1/status/1601081953322557446

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I played a little bit of 3 the other day because I was excited about robots and woof those are some spicy controls.

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxnSp_GQH64

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Google will do that, but it’s just a meme of people saying “It’s true, it’s not an illusion! Armored Core!” followed by some other guys excitedly referencing stuff from the old games and talking about returning to the battlefield.

Might be funnier if you know the original comic, but it’s just putting fanboy excitement in an existing comic’s word bubbles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I played a little bit of 3 the other day because I was excited about robots and woof those are some spicy controls.

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxnSp_GQH64

I love everyone's dedication to the accuracy of that meme. The Cored MT playing Dr. Livesey has twice the walking animation frames as the MTs do, just like Livesey does in the film :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1601089856347975680

Also can't believe this hasn't been posted

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

this whole announcement has felt surreal considering i've spent the past week and a half planning a Line Ark tattoo.... I cannot wait for this to drop. 4A is easily a top 5 game ever released imo and I cannot begin to imagine what Fromsoft have been able to do with increased resources.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I remember I always hit one extreme or the other with my ACs, either I was making a motherfucker so heavy that they should have been charging me extra deployment costs, or the zippiest, lightest Hover/Flight Bastard you can imagine, likely armed with incredibly weak weapons to keep weight down.

Truly a banger of a series and I'm insanely excited to see what FROM do now that they have such immensely greater resources.

E; The last thing I hear on my deathbed in another 50 years or whatever is going to be "System switched to normal mode."

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 11, 2022

MervBushwacker
Jun 18, 2018
white glint lives

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Desperate for like a massive arena league thing. Give me 999 other combatants constantly competing in events ranging from low-stakes friendly sparring to 128 top-ranked bracket tourneys to determine the #1 spot. Would genuinely not need any game outside that.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

MervBushwacker posted:

white glint lives

Too bad about its pilot

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I remember even when I got really into the series with Last Raven the controls for 3, let alone going back to the PS1 titles, were a bit too rough.

Based on some of the trailer like the robot scavenger thing and that focus group leak stuff from a bit ago I wonder how much of this is going to be a classic AC and how much is just robot elden rings/Dark Souls.

I don't think folks should read into the trailer for how fast the gameplay is going to be, since even the PS2 titles showed off some zippy stuff the clunkier mechs couldn't perform back then.
I really hope the game has more of the 'classic' AC formula of spending 20 minutes tweaking and building your mech for 5 minute missions, but I absolutely loved the older gameplay pacing, AC 4's hyper movement, and 5's attempt to kind of blend them.
The biggest thing I hope they keep that I think we might lose with modern gaming expectations is the targeting computer and how you didn't manually say look down the scope of sniper rifles but instead equipped targeting computers and kept stuff in them for the AI to lock onto and fire. It was also cool having to balance wide vs long range for targeting computer lock boxes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1000%

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It's crazy how much AC DNA is in the souls games. The controls, idea of invasions even if npcs, the whole vague and confusing plots.

I bet they'll do real invasions this time. Like certain missions will let 1 or 2 real players interrupt a mission or a default npc if offline.

Can't wait to duel in the arena. Am I misremembering but AC had Point Defense Cannon attachments right?

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Pretty cool that the leak from like a year ago turned out to be true, even the setting.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Thundercracker posted:

It's crazy how much AC DNA is in the souls games. The controls, idea of invasions even if npcs, the whole vague and confusing plots.

I bet they'll do real invasions this time. Like certain missions will let 1 or 2 real players interrupt a mission or a default npc if offline.

Can't wait to duel in the arena. Am I misremembering but AC had Point Defense Cannon attachments right?

Some Ac core units do have a point defense anti-missile cannon others have their own like launchable mini laser cannons etc.

And invasions would be GREAT to have in armored core, pink garish core coming in to wreck you on your mission.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want to see Souls players try Armored Core.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The body still desires conflict.

I can't wait to see more goddamn.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want to see Souls players try Armored Core.
gonna keep refreshing the ac4 page to see when streamers jump on it

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Armored%20Core%204

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Coolness Averted posted:

The biggest thing I hope they keep that I think we might lose with modern gaming expectations is the targeting computer and how you didn't manually say look down the scope of sniper rifles but instead equipped targeting computers and kept stuff in them for the AI to lock onto and fire. It was also cool having to balance wide vs long range for targeting computer lock boxes.

yeah i’m really curious to see how they handle enemy lock on. it would be a surprise to me if they didn’t have the now standard R3 lock on, right analog to swap targets pattern.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

gonna keep refreshing the ac4 page to see when streamers jump on it

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Armored%20Core%204

Oh poo poo good idea

Found someone trying out 3: https://twitch.tv/garsedj

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/BlueDestinyGM/status/1601991134372397059?t=_oj2lUSVFGJeANTPsLwdig&s=19

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

i’m literally watching one of these dumb fuckin youtuber fight vids right now. i am too hyped for AC VI, this is going to be a rough wait

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

punished milkman posted:

yeah i’m really curious to see how they handle enemy lock on. it would be a surprise to me if they didn’t have the now standard R3 lock on, right analog to swap targets pattern.

I could see the FCS auto locking for projectiles as per traditio. And R3 is just to lock the camera to a target.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
My weird imagination actually goes to something like Returnal for the combat. Third person dash a lot shot first melee second.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Calidus posted:

My weird imagination actually goes to something like Returnal for the combat. Third person dash a lot shot first melee second.

Returnal kind of reminds me of a more advanced take on the first couple games. I think my big hope is that there's a lot of variety in things you can make, including "Selene but a mech".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't think folks should read into the trailer for how fast the gameplay is going to be, since even the PS2 titles showed off some zippy stuff the clunkier mechs couldn't perform back then.

I think you underestimate just how fast the ps2 era games could be. If anything, I feel like the Nexus opening really captures how the speed of things just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blK4Nhpd6rE

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think you underestimate just how fast the ps2 era games could be. If anything, I feel like the Nexus opening really captures how the speed of things just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blK4Nhpd6rE

There were bursts, but without human+ chips you weren't keeping that up with any real firepower or armor.
I remember I would sell friends on stuff like the intro videos and then that in games like Nexus (that was the 2 disk one, right? I hooked that one up and played serial cable deathmatch with my roommate back in like 2005) they'd be disappointed it wasn't the Gundam Wing or Zone of the Enders combat they imagined in their mind's eye.

Hell, I was pissed fighting against the AI duels in Last Raven where they got human+ so could zip around with all stats around where you'd be able to max out one category if you hyperspecialized.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

There were bursts, but without human+ chips you weren't keeping that up with any real firepower or armor.
I remember I would sell friends on stuff like the intro videos and then that in games like Nexus (that was the 2 disk one, right? I hooked that one up and played serial cable deathmatch with my roommate back in like 2005) they'd be disappointed it wasn't the Gundam Wing or Zone of the Enders combat they imagined in their mind's eye.

Hell, I was pissed fighting against the AI duels in Last Raven where they got human+ so could zip around with all stats around where you'd be able to max out one category if you hyperspecialized.

Like, I'm reticent to post my own vids and instead prefer to go to other peoples stuff but like, high movement was absolutely possible without any big upgrades or whatever. Especially in the post AC3 era when they massive buffed quads by giving them actual boost hopping and poo poo instead of the terrible system they had before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xuYla4hNw

Micro missiles introduced in Nexus absolutely brought a new world to that too, as well as linear rifles. Though for a long time the meta was defined by the arm mounted grenade launchers.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like that leaker who described it as souls like is running into the "Boss Baby Problem" where his only FROMSOFT frame of reference is the souls series. Big vistas? Running up and slashing a boss with a lasers sword from a third person perspective? Gotta be souls.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

7c Nickel posted:

I feel like that leaker who described it as souls like is running into the "Boss Baby Problem" where his only FROMSOFT frame of reference is the souls series. Big vistas? Running up and slashing a boss with a lasers sword from a third person perspective? Gotta be souls.

I was thinking this earlier as well, it would have been great if the person had played AC games before so we could know what's changed.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
The visuals combined with the music in this trailer made my hairs stand on end, that hasn't happened in a while! That little riff of descending notes when the mech swivels and a bunch of explosions go off behind it, jesus

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Big Scary Owl posted:

I was thinking this earlier as well, it would have been great if the person had played AC games before so we could know what's changed.

They hadn't. They said their closest frame of reference was Virtual On. Which is great, but also even older and not really the same.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spitballing here, but I think ACVI is going to be AC + Souls prolly in the same way that Sekiro was Tenchu + Souls. It'll be a paradigm shift to some degree, the continuity of design from their titles of the last decade, a ton of classic in-universe references and aesthetics, and a few very new and very significant game mechanics that the industry hasn't seen before and will mimic for the next decade ad nauseum. The sheer size of the audience that will latch onto this game as a blind buy after Elden Ring will likely shift the industry into sci-fi mecha mode for a while and due to the pedigree and momentum of the studio right now I could see this becoming one of the most broadly popular mecha titles the US market has yet seen. As for Japan, they are gonna drink this poo poo with a MILKSHAKE STRAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I hope they use, uh, FreQuency? For the soundtrack again