Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's like the pre-patch DOOM The Ancient Gods DLC which had some absolutely ball busting fights. Some times I just want the game to Hurt Me Plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Speaking of challenge, I'm reaching the point in my journey of S-ranking the missions where I only have true nightmares left like Coral Export Denial and the final-final boss. Does anyone have any good build suggestions for Allmind Iguazu?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

EightFlyingCars posted:

i really wish i had the chance to play balteus ver. 1 because it isn't very threatening at all as long as you aren't literally leaving the controller on the floor

He wasn't that threatening before. Basically the same but the missiles tracked slightly better. You could still beat him by building an AC with the highest HP total and shooting him while occasionally dodging the biggest attacks.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Darth Nat posted:

Speaking of challenge, I'm reaching the point in my journey of S-ranking the missions where I only have true nightmares left like Coral Export Denial and the final-final boss. Does anyone have any good build suggestions for Allmind Iguazu?

I don’t think you need any fancy tricks. I got it done with shotguns. You just need confidence, aggression, and a little luck. It’s a quick fight, win or lose.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Darth Nat posted:

denial is really really easy, get two back mounted pulse cannons, two assault rifles with 300+ range, I actually went with cheap ones with one firing mode no charge. relatively light build so you have speed. Just pop from each transport rotating between pulse cannon fire or gun fire while the other cools down or reloads. You should pop them very fast from far away.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Darth Nat posted:

Chainsaw. Use duel Viento or whatever to push near stagger, start charging the chainsaw before, stagger, release chainsaw. Do this twice. Maaaybe thrice.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Quad gattling guns on a wheeled base make shirt work of that boss.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

i'm blasting balteus's theme fully into my ears at 100% right now

just so you know

and this..........is to go even further beyond..............120%...........

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

roomtone posted:

if they do make an ACVI dlc i hope it is hard as hell. pre-patch balteus was a highlight of all my time playing games.

i knew i was still A Gamer when i beat him

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

i knew i was still A Gamer when i beat him

that is correct friend

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I beat pre-patch Balteus and Ibis, where's my badge

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
pre-patch gamers who beat AC6 rise up

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i miss him

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Pre-patch Balteus and pre-patch Radahn: look at how they massacred my boys

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pre-patch The Last Giant was hosed up

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you really want to see for yourself there's a mod to un-nerf bosses: https://www.nexusmods.com/armoredcore6firesofrubicon/mods/56

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

New ranked season started and it's rough out there if you are west/east coast. Practically dead queues or you play against the same 1-2 people. Most are gravitating towards the global queue, where the match making is quick. The vast majority of your matches there will be from people across the world, bringing along the usual goofy lag. Lots of sketchy steam profiles, too, sprinkling a tinge of paranoia in matches where something happens that is probably connection weirdness. I think it's more that a lot of people are playing from cafes, probably?

Wish the PvP was more popular in the US regions. :smith:

Droxis fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 3, 2024

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:same:, I really wanted to get into ranked pvp but it just isn't fun with the latency. Once you get a sense of how long the delay is you can abuse it assuming it's consistent, but when it's especially bad (I'd guess >320ms) it gets to the point where you can't really effectively lock on and shoot fast enough to counteract it. Feels especially bad with how crisp the gameplay is otherwise. I haven't gotten the sense that anyone is deliberately abusing it but it gave me enough flashbacks to the "halo lagswitch" days that I just gave up

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

friendly reminder that stargazer loving slaps

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i am not good at this game and dear god am i stuck on the michigan fight. i can beat him in the arena but doing the narrow corridor filled with junk in that level is making it way harder on top of the repair kits. also the drat MTs that drop in with him and steal my lock-on

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i am not good at this game and dear god am i stuck on the michigan fight. i can beat him in the arena but doing the narrow corridor filled with junk in that level is making it way harder on top of the repair kits. also the drat MTs that drop in with him and steal my lock-on

bring a pulse blade and/or a linear rifle and play ring around the rosie with his big fat rear end while you pick off his grunts with slashes and charged shots. ammo conservation is really important in this mission because if your loadout isn't suited for blowing up one hundred jerks then you will run out of ammo and you will have to punch everything to death

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The laser blade with that 360 degree slash charged attack isn't great overall but it is ideal for that mission.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

bring a pulse blade and/or a linear rifle and play ring around the rosie with his big fat rear end while you pick off his grunts with slashes and charged shots. ammo conservation is really important in this mission because if your loadout isn't suited for blowing up one hundred jerks then you will run out of ammo and you will have to punch everything to death

VaatiVidya actually ran into this issue while trying to S rank this mission and one enemy flew out of the upper bounds of the arena and he was no longer able to complete the mission because they were too far away to punch. :allears:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Try to bring missiles with you if you aren't already, and make liberal use of the multi-lock. A lot of the cannon fodder enemies can be picked off with them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Plasma rifle. The aoe field will kill adjacent chumps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GodFish posted:

Plasma rifle. The aoe field will kill adjacent chumps.

This.

I loved the Plasma Rifle on my first playthrough. With a long range targeting card, you can snipe so many mooks gathered together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I played this to NG++ and got all 3 endings.

I generally liked it a lot but it's a bit of a shame that a lot of fights seem kind of... designed for you to just build a tank and cover it in high damage splash weapons and just nuke the enemy?

Some fights I can do quite well with a fast and agile AC but then some things it just seems like the game wants raw damage output and the best way to do that is to carry a shitload of heavy guns and if you're doing that you might as well just build it to facetank everything and not bother dodging.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Double flamethrowers, double stun needles. That's how I did it for both initial clear and S rank. Flamethrowers for most mobs, stun needles for cracking the quadrupeds and Michigan himself.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

So I played this to NG++ and got all 3 endings.

I generally liked it a lot but it's a bit of a shame that a lot of fights seem kind of... designed for you to just build a tank and cover it in high damage splash weapons and just nuke the enemy?

Some fights I can do quite well with a fast and agile AC but then some things it just seems like the game wants raw damage output and the best way to do that is to carry a shitload of heavy guns and if you're doing that you might as well just build it to facetank everything and not bother dodging.

we had pretty different experiences then! i struggled with big slow tanky builds and had a lot more success with double trigger ultra lightweight builds, especially after the patch that made the etsujins frankly unreasonably good

i did eventually strap an earshot onto it though...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

EightFlyingCars posted:

we had pretty different experiences then! i struggled with big slow tanky builds and had a lot more success with double trigger ultra lightweight builds, especially after the patch that made the etsujins frankly unreasonably good

i did eventually strap an earshot onto it though...

Same. I refused the tank meta and kept trial-and-erroring my way back to nimble gun slingers with high damage shoulder weapons.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 6, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My general feel was that for most stuff you will do well with an agile build, as you can dodge sniper fire, respond to time sensitive things on the mission, and navigate the environment effectively. I usually start every mission with a sort of intermediate build with an AR, a melee weapon, and some light missile racks, which gives a variety of engagement options but favours long range and ammo efficiency, very good for dealing with lots of MTs and general mobs, melee weapon suitable for taking out tougher targets.

If I know I'm fighting an AC then I would go with a more focused melee weapon like the chainsaw or the stun baton (charged attack hits hard and has high direct hit scaling) and also pick a dual pistol loadout or something for better stunning.

But a number of the boss encounters just don't really favour that sort of loadout. In particular I found coldcall to be almost unassailable with this build because of the focus on shotguns, you can't dodge all the damage and getting close is just a bad idea. The ibis also clearly favours timed use of linear rifles to stun it easily followed by some sort of high direct hit shoulder followup, and is absurdly manueverable, there are a couple of bosses with similar non-ac levels of mobility, so tank legs either the super fast ones or the high load/hp ones depending on how you want to play it seem sensible.

There's also stuff like arquebus balteus and sea spider which I think are pretty clear damage races? You can try to finesse them but you can also just build for maximum durability and firepower and flatten them with as much firepower as possible.

There's also the occasional multi-ac fight which again I think swings the dial back towards maximum firepower and durability. The dam defence triple fight with raven showing up once you engage the first two is a good example, you want to rush down the enemies as fast as possible to avoid being overwhelmed and that is just a lot harder if you're playing something that relies on building up instability and then direct hitting them, as much fun as it is to 1 shot an AC by direct hitting it with the chainsaw, I still find a pair of javelin alphas and a pair of plasma cannons to be up to the task of destroying almost anything reliably.

This might not necessarily be a bad thing, it does mean that you probably want to keep at least two AC designs about, but I dunno, I always felt kind of let down when the solution was clearly "just throw a tank at it" when I would happily spend time fighting some encounters with a light mech, because the tank is just really brainless compared to the light mechs. I guess that's kind of a limitation of the game though, it's not like they didn't try to make them both viable and as interesting as possible, it's just that I think necessarily the light bipeds/reverse joint builds require the most coordination to use and make best use of mobility. You're just so much more active when playing them than heavy builds. I don't really know how you fix that.

Dark souls I guess at least shifts the emphasis onto timing the attacks of heavy weapons and positioning yourself to land them best, more anticipatory in exchange for higher damage and reduced reactive capbility, dunno how that would translate into AC gameplay though, especially as half the point of a tank is it lets you spam the heavy weapons without stopping.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 6, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I went through with my very standard medium/heavy biped with a variety of different weapons classes + melee, like AC1 intended for us.

But all builds are valid which is what makes it fun.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Dual Ludlows and 315 speed go brrrrr.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
My first run was Loader-4 with a Zimm, the starter pulse blade, a vert missiles and a lascannon. Everything I had trouble with was pilot skill. My second mech was dual zimms + pulse blade and a 10 missiles on a full nacht frame. I didn’t know Raven can arrive before King and Chartreuse are defeated till I read it in this thread. You can bulldoze through a lot in this game with a tank tread and dual gatlings, but that’s not a bad thing in my book, nor anywhere near necessary.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I liked my all plasma build playthrough on the chicken legs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

OwlFancier posted:

This might not necessarily be a bad thing, it does mean that you probably want to keep at least two AC designs about, but I dunno, I always felt kind of let down when the solution was clearly "just throw a tank at it" when I would happily spend time fighting some encounters with a light mech, because the tank is just really brainless compared to the light mechs. I guess that's kind of a limitation of the game though, it's not like they didn't try to make them both viable and as interesting as possible, it's just that I think necessarily the light bipeds/reverse joint builds require the most coordination to use and make best use of mobility. You're just so much more active when playing them than heavy builds. I don't really know how you fix that.

You can throw a tank at a lot of the bosses, but a light AC with a piledriver or other big stun punish will also melt some bosses so fast it feels like cheating. The double Rusty/RLF guy fight I piledrivered Rusty into oblivion before the other guy even got to finish his intro dialogue. Similarly with the triple AC merc/merc/Raven fight you can dive in and kill the first merc before Raven spawns, then run away to kite them apart and pick one of your choice to burst down

I sometimes have to stop playing light gunslinger/piledriver builds because it feels too optimal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I beat literally every mission with non-Spring Chicken RJ legs and the pulse blade, almost always with Zimmerman, vert plasma missiles and 10x normal missiles. I could never get the feel of tanks, especially with grenades--I felt like the enemy was always dodging me too well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I solved that by just driving directly into them, it turns what is a quite complex puzzle of controlling your AC into a simpler puzzle of learning how to time your attacks so the enemy can't dodge them, either trigger them just as they stop dodging, or fire them with a staggered pattern so that they dodge the first one and then the second one hits as they stop. Also try to strategically position yourself so there's walls around the enemy so the splash gets them if the projectile doesn't.

I'm not really sure how you avoid that approach honestly, and it might not even be bad in a sense? Like you're intelligently designing your AC to reduce cognitive load and opportunities for the enemy to beat you by replacing dodging with just having a lot of health and defences and enough firepower to out-DPS the enemy, it's just unfortunate that doing that also removes a lot of the actual gameplay.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 9, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
PvP tank players show treads can dodge. Mastering tank movement is like flying a chopper vs flying a plane (other ACs), though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah you can certainly, it's just with the increased HP and defence you don't need to as much in single player compared to lighter builds.