Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shitshow posted:

Give England a few more years in its trajectory and it, too, will have the conditions to create a team as resilient as Croatia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Someone should tell the England team that the objective is to put the ball past the keeper not put it directly into his hands

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
er actually harry put it well out of his reach

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Shitshow posted:

Give England a few more years in its trajectory and it, too, will have the conditions to create a team as resilient as Croatia.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Like, Saka has the potential to become a world class player if he just learns to stand on his loving feet, but he's turning into a world class sulker instead.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TheRat posted:

Like, Saka has the potential to become a world class player if he just learns to stand on his loving feet, but he's turning into a world class sulker instead.

Yea he 100% should have stayed up every time a player twice his size was hurling him to the ground

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In this, a tournament where a fuckload of cheap, cheap fouls have been given.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
What page was the second Kane penno on. I wanna relive that moment

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Yea he 100% should have stayed up every time a player twice his size was hurling him to the ground

He's got a reputation for rolling around now, we've seen it all season in the prem as well and the refs aren't falling for it any longer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

Where are all these 12 foot tall 330lb players?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

What page was the second Kane penno on. I wanna relive that moment

Around 44 is where the foul is committed

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

Where are all these 12 foot tall 330lb players?

I think most of them are Dutch.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jesus WEP posted:

grealish hasn’t really done anything good in like 18 months so I’m not sure he was the magic key to win the game at any point

yeah but whoever ends up on the bench is somehow the magical solution to all of the problems that everyone except the manager can see

like that time england brought on joe cole and then joe cole won the world cup and definitely wasn't poo poo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

yeah but whoever ends up on the bench is somehow the magical solution to all of the problems that everyone except the manager can see

like that time england brought on joe cole and then joe cole won the world cup and definitely wasn't poo poo
they once brought on joe cole to score an absolute worldie against sweden

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

grealish hasn’t really done anything good in like 18 months so I’m not sure he was the magic key to win the game at any point

Grealish is amazing at shuttling the ball forward safely and that’s not something England really had a problem with (*) or are looking to build around tactically so yeah don’t have a problem with him not being brought on today.

*Not bringing him on earlier vs the US was a war crime!! Their midfield got destroyed by the US trio. That shows Southgate is a moron.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

ilmucche posted:

Around 44 is where the foul is committed

Mercí

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

85th minute

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rrashford should have been on for kane the very second the second peno got missed

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

He flopped a couple of times in the first half and it seemed after that he'd decided not to give Saka much of anything.

It's absolutely on Southgate England eventually going out with a whimper. For all the "England were the better team" posts, no goals from open play and they couldn't get Foden into the match because there was almost no space between the French defence and midfield and it's not as if England were doing patient build up play with clever 1-2s that Foden thrives on.

That said, around the hour mark England were in the ascendancy which was absolutely the time (the right time was at minute 0 instead of Foden, the second best time was around the hour mark) to bring Rashford on. England were winning the ball back a lot but Saka was the only forward attempting runs in behind, meaning the French could double mark him. Rashford in for Foden doubles that threat and gives better license for Shaw to do the under/overlap.

Instead Southgate was his usual cowardly self and changed nothing until it was way too late and even then was somewhat timid in his changes.

I will credit him with telling Walker to just stay on Mbappe after the first goal, but France gave England 3 clear warnings prior to that and nothing changed and they were punished.

Southgate seems to settle on a tactical approach then stick with it rigidly until he finds something else after it stops working. I actually thought going into this match, his other formation of 3 at the back may have been a better platform to go at France with, with Rashford and Kane up front. Walker at RCB can sit on Mbappe still but you can have a Trent or Trippier contributing going forward instead of losing that entire side because Walker has to stay on the halfway line.

I've said before I couldn't have cared less about this World Cup from an England standpoint and it's because I'm utterly bored with Southgate and the false narrative around him getting so far in two tournaments, totally glossing over the fact his arsehole falls out whenever he plays anyone resembling a top side. 1 in 4 win rate against the top 15 in the world. That's not a tournament winning manager and never was. He steadied the ship and did good things media wise but on the pitch, he should've gone after the Euros, he's never going to hit that high again and in the meantime, this squad is going to be 4 years older by the time 2026 CUMs around and Harry Kane will be 33, Walker, Shaw, Stones, Maguire, Sterling and others all well into their 30s by then.

For me this England squad is the best group of talent I've seen in my lifetime and I include the supposed golden generation in that, since it was obvious then and has been admitted since, that squad had no desire to play as a team and the organisation top to bottom was rotten. This time around the squad is being let down tactically, it feels like having a pure bred super car and using it for nothing other than quick safe trips to the shops. Timid, unadventurous, boring. As someone else put it, Southgate is the missionary position of managers.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

sweet thursday posted:

3 lions 1 cup

Lol

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Shitshow posted:

lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

He flopped a couple of times in the first half and it seemed after that he'd decided not to give Saka much of anything.

It's absolutely on Southgate England eventually going out with a whimper. For all the "England were the better team" posts, no goals from open play and they couldn't get Foden into the match because there was almost no space between the French defence and midfield and it's not as if England were doing patient build up play with clever 1-2s that Foden thrives on.

That said, around the hour mark England were in the ascendancy which was absolutely the time (the right time was at minute 0 instead of Foden, the second best time was around the hour mark) to bring Rashford on. England were winning the ball back a lot but Saka was the only forward attempting runs in behind, meaning the French could double mark him. Rashford in for Foden doubles that threat and gives better license for Shaw to do the under/overlap.

Instead Southgate was his usual cowardly self and changed nothing until it was way too late and even then was somewhat timid in his changes.

I will credit him with telling Walker to just stay on Mbappe after the first goal, but France gave England 3 clear warnings prior to that and nothing changed and they were punished.

Southgate seems to settle on a tactical approach then stick with it rigidly until he finds something else after it stops working. I actually thought going into this match, his other formation of 3 at the back may have been a better platform to go at France with, with Rashford and Kane up front. Walker at RCB can sit on Mbappe still but you can have a Trent or Trippier contributing going forward instead of losing that entire side because Walker has to stay on the halfway line.

I've said before I couldn't have cared less about this World Cup from an England standpoint and it's because I'm utterly bored with Southgate and the false narrative around him getting so far in two tournaments, totally glossing over the fact his arsehole falls out whenever he plays anyone resembling a top side. 1 in 4 win rate against the top 15 in the world. That's not a tournament winning manager and never was. He steadied the ship and did good things media wise but on the pitch, he should've gone after the Euros, he's never going to hit that high again and in the meantime, this squad is going to be 4 years older by the time 2026 CUMs around and Harry Kane will be 33, Walker, Shaw, Stones, Maguire, Sterling and others all well into their 30s by then.

For me this England squad is the best group of talent I've seen in my lifetime and I include the supposed golden generation in that, since it was obvious then and has been admitted since, that squad had no desire to play as a team and the organisation top to bottom was rotten. This time around the squad is being let down tactically, it feels like having a pure bred super car and using it for nothing other than quick safe trips to the shops. Timid, unadventurous, boring. As someone else put it, Southgate is the missionary position of managers.

Really wanted to hit this with the “glad for you or sorry that happened” but instead ended up nodding more and more firmly throughout

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gareth might be an 11-player genius, but he has a bench and he needs to exploit it properly. His adjustment mid-game is just lacking. He subs people off late as hell because he seemingly cannot believe his first team needs refreshing.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

85th minute

I mean lol right it's not just me is it, having your top scorer glued to the loving bench in a match there for the taking is some serious galaxy brained poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don’t think it’s a disaster. It would be nice to see England win something in my lifetime but expecting that you’re always getting through to the final four of a World Cup is arrogance. We lasted a round longer than Spain, Germany never got out their group, and we fell at the same point as Brazil. There were no howling errors made on the pitch and France didn’t have an easy time. Couple of scrambles in the French goal going the other way and we’re in the semi finals, that’s just the margins in cup tournaments.

Agree on the above points re:Southgate though, I think it’s worth getting someone else in just so we don’t take this squad to the Euros and completely waste the talents that are there.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 11, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I don’t think it’s a disaster. It would be nice to see England win something in my lifetime but expecting that you’re always getting through to the final four of a World Cup is arrogance. We lasted a round longer than Spain, Germany never got out their group, and we fell at the same point as Brazil. There were no howling errors made on the pitch and France didn’t have an easy time. Couple of scrambles in the French goal going the other way and we’re in the semi finals, that’s just the margins in cup tournaments.

This isn't about expecting to just make it to the final, it is about expecting a national team manager to be capable of getting the best out of the players at his disposal. Gareth Southgate has an embarrassment of riches in his squad, players that are well used to winning trophies, playing in Europe, competing in top flight football for the highest honours; all for teams that play high tempo, technically proficient front foot football. England's build up play is so painfully slow, so much that Maguire looks far less out of place when he's got a foot on the ball and taking his time reading all the names and numbers on the back of the shirts before deciding what to do next.

It's about having some tactical flexibility so that you can give yourself a chance of getting past a team considered superior. It's not impossible, look at the other semifinalists!

England do well in spite of Southgate against "lesser" teams because this squad is good enough to sort of figure poo poo out for themselves and they're just that much better than the opposition. I said after the Senegal match, the scoreline flattered the performance, Senegal had chances that a team like France will loving twat you for.

Simply being outclassed/unlucky is fine, there is no divine right to a trophy. Tripping over your own feet in between stepping on rakes is annoying to watch, however.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This isn't about expecting to just make it to the final, it is about expecting a national team manager to be capable of getting the best out of the players at his disposal. Gareth Southgate has an embarrassment of riches in his squad, players that are well used to winning trophies, playing in Europe, competing in top flight football for the highest honours; all for teams that play high tempo, technically proficient front foot football. England's build up play is so painfully slow, so much that Maguire looks far less out of place when he's got a foot on the ball and taking his time reading all the names and numbers on the back of the shirts before deciding what to do next.

It's about having some tactical flexibility so that you can give yourself a chance of getting past a team considered superior. It's not impossible, look at the other semifinalists!

England do well in spite of Southgate against "lesser" teams because this squad is good enough to sort of figure poo poo out for themselves and they're just that much better than the opposition. I said after the Senegal match, the scoreline flattered the performance, Senegal had chances that a team like France will loving twat you for.

Simply being outclassed/unlucky is fine, there is no divine right to a trophy. Tripping over your own feet in between stepping on rakes is annoying to watch, however.

This lot should be able to play much better football than it has shown/been allowed to:

Maybe it's because they're coached by a poo poo Championship manager who spent his entire playing career at shitclogger clubs

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They do all (exceot our lord and saviour Bellingham) play in England. I cannot discount that from the list of potential wrong factors.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Why risk Kalvin Phillips at all if you're not giving him minutes with the intent to play him more?

What else could Rashford have done to deserve a start? He took every chance he was given and is tailor made to run at a high French line.

Why take off Saka when he was the only forward player making those runs in behind and getting some joy? Particularly when England were playing well?

Why is Mount the first thought to change the game when it's poised to be got at? If it was just Henderson's legs, why not Philips?

What the gently caress is Rashford going to do at 85 minutes or Grealish at ninety loving seven? Complete waste of both of them.

None of the above has anything to do with "deserving" to go to a certain point or win anything, but has a lot to do with why England absolutely don't deserve to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d have more time for him if it looked like he was building something. I’m sure he only kept the job after the summer because there wasn’t enough time to do anything before Qatar.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City is mostly these English and those Portuguese guys, makes you think

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

100% :agreed: , except I really had no idea about the merits of the 1966 squad <shrug>. Saka was having his way in the French box, Grealish is another who can penetrate like that, and I had no idea the French defenders are that clumsy. Sacre bleu, someone is going to capitalize on it, or should.
Giving up 2 correctly called and a third faffed PK in the box is absurd in a match at this level with VAR.
France are absurdly talented, and scored two glorious goals, but England are one of the few sides not inferior in talent to them. It showed in this match, imo, even if they didn't score any from the run of play. The defense made Mbappe pretty much invisible.
So when you have one manager much better at Managing than the other, welp. Goondolences, England goons. I'd be seething (but not horsemeat, noooo) if it were my team.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’m just glad that I’ll now be able to watch John Oliver, a notably tolerable Englishman, wail and beat his breast and laugh about the whole thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How much do you think only playing Premier League football is harming England, and what would have to happen to fix that?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

How much do you think only playing Premier League football is harming England, and what would have to happen to fix that?

It isn’t. The French players all play there or at soft rear end super clubs like PSG, and the Italian league is fail as hell.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Not at all. It's the "best" (pays the most money) league in the world. Morocco's best player plays there. Croatia's captain made his name there. Like half of Argentina's squad plays or has played in England.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
pep brought on sane and kdb at 87 minutes in a must win CL game we were losing, there's got to be some sort of manager brainworms the rest of us aren't seeing for this kind of thing.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Saka was clearly hosed, not sure I get the outrage on that sub though.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

eleven extra elephants posted:

pep brought on sane and kdb at 87 minutes in a must win CL game we were losing, there's got to be some sort of manager brainworms the rest of us aren't seeing for this kind of thing.

Pep has the good brain worms, Southgate has the bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What if England had more MLS players? Makes you think.