Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think they need some external insight. Not much, but more than one guy in the squad. We can do better than a token Owen Hargreaves.

Someone who plays in south america and knows how to embrace that bullshit, someone who knows how to deal with playing in the shadow of italian ultras, someone who can work through the misery of late January the Scottish league. Just enough to add some conflict and character to their team talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

goatface posted:

I think they need some external insight. Not much, but more than one guy in the squad. We can do better than a token Owen Hargreaves.

Someone who plays in south america and knows how to embrace that bullshit, someone who knows how to deal with playing in the shadow of italian ultras, someone who can work through the misery of late January the Scottish league. Just enough to add some conflict and character to their team talks.

Step up, Joey Barton

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

goatface posted:

Ya you already have Tomori you left him off mate

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You'd have a point with this "premier league is stifling them" criticism if England played anything resembling premier league football. They're not lightning quick on the counter, they don't play high pressing possession football (but do kinda sorta try that against Wales and Iran, muscle memory from the league maybe?) there is nothing resembling any or a combination of Arsenal/City/Liverpool/United/Newcastle/Leicester type football.

Yes, Foden is a class act, but he thrives on interplay in the spaces between the midfield and defence and 1-2s for runs into the box and it just wasn't happening with him/Rice/Shaw on that side.

Southgate isn't a manager for the players England have at the peak of their powers. It's like chucking Fat Sam or Tony Pulis in at City.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On that note I’m really interested to see how Emery does at Villa

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
This might be my ignorance showing but I bet if they took and played as many English players from just city and arsenal as they could, backfilled with the most similar players possible, and took an assistant from one of them I bet they’d win

08-12 Spain had the right idea

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the prem is stifling them as much as they're just not inhabiting the possible breadth of the game. Most of those guys play in european football, they all know how international foot is played. I guess I just think a wider viewpoint among the players would lead to more useful feedback once they hit national squad training.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

This might be my ignorance showing but I bet if they took and played as many English players from just city and arsenal as they could, backfilled with the most similar players possible, and took an assistant from one of them I bet they’d win

08-12 Spain had the right idea

If England had Rob Holding they'd be in the semis

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Put Reiss Nelson in the team as well

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

goatface posted:

I don't think the prem is stifling them as much as they're just not inhabiting the possible breadth of the game. Most of those guys play in european football, they all know how international foot is played. I guess I just think a wider viewpoint among the players would lead to more useful feedback once they hit national squad training.

Yeah hate to break it to you but what these guys are being exposed to at their clubs is like 69,420x more sophisticated than international foot

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and I want to see more of that.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

goatface posted:

Yeah, and I want to see more of that.

That’s the manager and staff

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it's coming home next time

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Communist Thoughts posted:

it's coming home next time

CUM-ing home you say?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

yeah we seem all in agreement lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

If the players and staff ain't discussing that poo poo then I think they have problems, and I fall back on assuming that more openings/experiences for that discussion is better.

International football has to be simplified because they're not together as much, but England just seem stuck atm.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
where does "what we really need is a bald spanish fraud in charge" fall on the stages of grief. I'm guessing somewhere between anger and acceptance

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

England are shite

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goatface posted:

If the players and staff ain't discussing that poo poo then I think they have problems, and I fall back on assuming that more openings/experiences for that discussion is better.

International football has to be simplified because they're not together as much, but England just seem stuck atm.

Gareth Southgate took a UEFA Cup finalist team into relegation within 3 seasons

He's just not a top tier tournament manager I don't why it's such a bad thing to say this. He's done some good stuff but England are in a position to take a step up, talent wise and Southgate hasn't got the management chops to do it. The FA can either persist with "got us to a final and a semi final yanno" and piss away this squad for the Euros, or say thanks very much, you've done all you can, but time to find a manager that's a step up.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I honestly don't know who you get instead though

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Alctel posted:

Well that's where the FA need to show some recruitment chops that they should have started showing after the Euros. Maybe they did start looking back then, we'll see.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Timid, unadventurous, boring. As someone else put it, Southgate is the missionary position of managers.

Hey that's not entirely fair. Southgate knows all three positions: big man up top, winger, and normal.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

oh yea also the animeGIF got updated

https://twitter.com/chidajunsei3163/status/1601692130497687552

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol it's perfect

edit, lol it's perfect

Tzen fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 11, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Well that's where the FA need to show some recruitment chops that they should have started showing after the Euros. Maybe they did start looking back then, we'll see.

They 100% aren't gonna immediately replace a manager who got them to the final of a Euros

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Let it be. It’s the anger/bargaining stage right now.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Alctel posted:

stevie g needs a job

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

goatface posted:

yeah, this is a "international football is poo poo garbage from the 70s" issue, you can't teach a team to gegenpress over eight training sessions a year

it's not coincidental that croatia and morocco and the netherlands all set up to fart you to death

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bea Nanner posted:

stevie g needs a job

stevie and frankie, co-managers *sitcom intro plays*

I mean, I kid, but it's literally potter and howe and then you're into a long list of gerrard, lampard, gary o'neil who has been a professional manager since august, various championship-level managers, or hiring roberto martinez because he's sort of english if you squint

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i didn't watch the match or highlights but it looks like southgate put on grealish as a time wasting sub while down a goal in a world cup knockout match, can any fine posters confirm

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
England out big deal. They played well, but it is what it is. Game of two halves and all that

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alctel posted:

Please take Greggg Berhalter.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

yeah, this is a "international football is poo poo garbage from the 70s" issue, you can't teach a team to gegenpress over eight training sessions a year

it's not coincidental that croatia and morocco and the netherlands all set up to fart you to death

While Spain set up to tiki taka and all they did was 1100 passes and then miss a bunch of penalties

I mean, I kid, but it's literally potter and howe and then you're into a long list of gerrard, lampard, gary o'neil who has been a professional manager since august, various championship-level managers, or hiring roberto martinez because he's sort of english if you squint

Tommy Tickles would probably be a genuinely good tournament manager tbh, he seems fairly pragmatic and nerdy.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TheRat posted:

While Spain set up to tiki taka and all they did was 1100 passes and then miss a bunch of penalties

Spain: 5000 touches, 2 goals

Wout Weghorst: 6 touches, 2 goals

In conclusion, it's a funny old game

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
As a neutral, I thought the England v. France ref did a pretty good job.

Hope to see him in the Morocco v. Croatia final.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Phil Neville has the experience you need

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
COMING SOON TO THEATERS

TOURS 2:- THIS TIME ITS PERSONAL

TOURS 2:- ASTERIX AND THE GREAT FRENCH EMBARRASMENT

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sean Dyche

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eat pie. poo poo. And that's the Burnley way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
There not being a single good English manager is kinda funny