Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris Avellone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rinkles posted:

Avellone wasn’t a big part of the base NV game, iirc. He was in charge of 3 of the 4 expansions, though. Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road. Apologies if I’m misremembering any of the above.

Sorry, I was making a joke after ropekid came in to clarify who led NV, and had a big Twitter thread earlier today. The man is dedicated to provenance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bounced off every one of those games too, but I guess I’m going back to check them out again once I’m done with Elden Ring (my first Soulslike, I’m so bad, the game deserves a better player)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Epic High Five posted:

If I can beat Elden Ring, anybody can. The whole difficulty thing is marketing, I mean the games aren't EASY but even the difficult fights are manageable and more critically the difficulty doesn't come from making the fights 15 minutes long and "full combo does 1% of boss' first healthbar" that are massively demoralizing if you make a single mistake in the back half. Margit picked up me up and wrung me out for a solid hour but I certainly learned the lesson ("This ain't DS1 motherfucker") about what is to come that he's there to teach lol.

Worldbuilding, level design, and character customization has always been what makes people insane Souls sickos as I think a lot of these lists are proving.

This is encouraging, since I’m early on in Elden Ring as reading this thread practically forced it on me. It’s my first Souls or Soulslike game, and I’m getting my poo poo wrecked in a wide variety of ways as I learn things like “break lock-on to run away” and “you can chain attacks”. I’m really enjoying it, but fearing a bit that I’ll hit a wall and never experience the game fully.

I did beat my first boss last night, though!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I find this thread intimidating, but I love reading it every year and learning things about how games affect people. It was also a busy year and I don’t finish many games at the best of times, but I’m just going to go with it.

Seven: Tactics Ogre: Reborn
This dropped, unexpectedly, just as I was figuring out how to get the previous iteration of it working on my Steam Deck under emulation—what good luck, since it is apparently a much friendlier version in terms of a bunch of the mechanics. I’ve been enjoying it, and I am sufficiently invested that I had to go back to a previous save when I presided over a massacre of civilians due to a dialogue choice. I play it in little 2-battle bites every now and then but it’s everything I had hoped it would be as a tactics game and the production values are lovely.

Six: Final Fantasy XIV
I played so much of this game in the first half of the year that I burned out on it, though I came back briefly later to have an in-game wedding after our real life one. Even the ongoing time limited event for Christmas hasn’t drawn me back in, and I’m normally a big sucker for that sort of thing. I love how much there is to do, I wish I were better at remembering or even reacting to boss cues so I could join the Savage raid content confidently, I am so fond of the Goon community, and I really loved the story and characters. I might be done with this game, or maybe just until the “big reset” coming with the 7.0 patch, but it has given me a lot of joy and I’m grateful for it this year as much as in previous.

Five: Citizen Sleeper
I had to stop playing this because I was literally lying awake worrying about what I would do next. The tone and writing and tiny mechanics of the game are arresting, and I will get back to it in a slightly more detached way and love it all over again. Great world-building, choices feel that they matter, characters I cared about (sometimes because I wanted to smash their faces).

Four: Vampire Survivors
It’s so small and so pure and I’m really not very good at it but when I boot it up I am always suddenly in the mood to play it more than the one-or-two runs I had in mind. It was no surprise to discover that the developer of this $3 masterpiece has a background in gambling software, because the reward loop is tight as hell.

Three: Cyberpunk 2077
I have a Samurai hoodie. I have the lore book. I own multiple (unplayed) editions of the TTRPG that inspired it. I was so excited for this game and I took a day off work to play it on launch day, and then shortly after The Heist I just…stopped playing. I would have told you I was enjoying it, and I think I was, but I just didn’t want to play more. I came back to it this year on a fresh play through, after enjoying Edgerunners, to see how it could flex with my new video card, and it stuck. I trivialized a lot of the game through the common strategy of frying people from a safe distance with my hacking skills, but I really enjoyed it and I finished it! I don’t finish games, really; I can’t remember the non-MMO-main-story that I finished before this one. It felt great to see the whole arc through and think about how all the interactions led to where I ended up. I know there are a ton of other parts to the game that I haven’t experienced, even beyond the other endings, and I might go back for them next year when the DLC drops.

Two: Elden Ring
I have played a total of like 8 minutes of the Souls genre previously, which I think was an opening cinematic and then dying suddenly. Inspired by this thread, though, I gave it a shot on my Steam Deck and it has honestly been great. I have come to some comfort with the fact that dying-and-running-back (or dying and loving off to somewhere else) is part of the core game loop and not a sign that I’m doing anything wrong. If you’ll permit some overanalysis, that was really a bit of a breakthrough for me because I have that “gifted kid” fear of failure and incorrectness baked pretty deeply into me. In terms of the main plot I’m still in the first zone, but I’ve seen so much thoughtful and interesting stuff in the world already. I don’t really understand the story or lore super well, but I’m enjoying it anyway. I’m doing better than I thought I would, and I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I’m playing it instead of doing hobby programming and cooking, which had been my plan for the break, and I don’t mind at all.

One: Pentiment
I am so out of the ropekid stalking loop that I didn’t know about this until release and then I played it and babbled about it to my wife (“are you playing that scratching-noise game again?”) and got kinda choked up at a few points and skimmed some pirated JSTOR articles that I didn’t understand. What a wonderful experience. I don’t know if Obsidian could have afforded to make this game prior to the Microsoft acquisition, and I’m so glad they (and especially Josh Sawyer with whom I have a healthy parasocial relationship) got a chance to put this into the world. I finished it and was drained enough that I was not ready to start another pass at it, but it was a really satisfied sort of drained. I am not really a history buff and have never taken a history class outside of high school and I haven’t read Eco, and this game was a delightful blast of historical thought and consideration and opinion that I definitely could not have told you I was looking for. The writing is so human and the art is beautiful and they added an option for the dialogue text to appear more quickly, so it’s now the perfect game and you should all make the 20 hour investment to experience it.

For Rarity, our hero:
7: Tactics Ogre: Reborn
6: Final Fantasy XIV
5: Citizen Sleeper
4: Vampire Survivors
3: Cyberpunk 2077
2: Elden Ring
1: Pentiment

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't find it in the thread now, please help!

There was an SRPG that people recommended that wasn't Tactics or Triangle. I think the name started with an S?

E: also would love a Pentiment sixer if it's in the offing!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anno posted:

Maybe Symphony of War?

If not then I recommend it.

Yes! Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I already own Symphony of War, somehow, huh. I’ll alternate between that and Elden Ring as the mood strikes me, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mode 7 posted:

Listening to the interview with Rob Zacny that you, Dr. Kern, and Dr. Black did for Waypoint right now and it's good stuff (your own prior interview with Rob was also great).

Thanks for Pentiment, it's a drat special game.

Thanks for this tip: listening to the first one now and while I intended to drift off with a podcast, I’m too into it now.