Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
would be epic to nothave 5 million paragraphs about blizzardin the op of the thread abotu how gaming owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Rarity posted:

Congratulations on doing something no one has done before in the 5 years of running this thread: listing both a main game and its DLC as entries. In past years when people vote for specific bits of DLC the points have been counted with points for the main game so to stick to that standard what I'm going to do here is say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 w/ Torna gets 3 points and then you can either bump one of your HMs into #10 or keep your list at 9 games :)

listing dlc seperately is fine if its fine for mmos. cheers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
thank you rope kid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
surely ethans post was very serious and not for joking about

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
did u miss the previous page lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
god of bore

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
borizon snoridden mess

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
watching osrs until you cant help but give in and play it too ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

fridge corn posted:

The problem is that cheap boring jokes like "god of bore" are sort of rampant around the subforum atm. Its only funny the first few times and ultimately adds nothing to the conversation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with thoughtful criticism of any game, but "slog of snore" or whatever is not that

bog of chore

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
seems pointless to try and make people split up a game that has only existed outside of japan as a single title

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
special mention: i listed this in a previous year and didnt want to put it in again, but prodeus is out in full now and is absolutely incredible

20. vampire survivors

the best way to describe this game is as a sort of minimalist roguelike. fun for what it is, but the small number of complete weapons and lack of level variation means it runs out of steam sooner rather than later. cant complain for $3 or whatever tho

19. lost ark

arpg mmo with a really really fun arpg combat systme unfortunately tied to really annoying progression. didnt take any screenshots or clips and i dont care to find any.

18. the cycle

the freest and least terrifying of the loot and extract fps games

17. last epoch

a more standard arpg, takes cues from d2, d3 and poe in various ways. overall quite fun, but its early access and the end game is lacking, and thats teh part of an arpg that gets you to stick around. will go back to it in the future when its more complete though, the combat and builds are solid. just imagine theres a picture of 5,000 idol drops here.

16. siralim ultimate

pokemon, except everything is extremely overpowered and stupid. want a monster that buffs your entire team on stat loss which procs another monster to auto self buff and so on until a single turn takes 20 seconds on 4x speed? go hog wild

15. eco

a wipe based mp game where you start with nothing on a world threatened by an imminent meteor, with the goal being for everyone on the server to work together to advance to the end game tech: a big gun to blow up the meteor. lots of complicated systems with rooms having requirements to function, your xp gain being passive and influenced by the quality of your house and food, dirty industries creating pollution which destroys plant life and causes animals to no longer spawn limiting food sources etc. v interesitng how it all works and how it makes a game u can play online with randoms that is largely friendly and cooperative, driven by the fact that you can only learn a limited subset of the games skills, so you need to trade and interact with other people to progress and get things done.

14. dragon crawl stone soup

i played tons of nethack when i was younger but trying to return to it recently has been futile, its age is so apparent and the mystique is gone when i already know a lot of the games systems. dcss solved a lot of that. its still a v traditional style roguelike, but it has a much saner sense of progression and feels much more expansive and deep at the same time. also unlike nethack i actually managed to win a run, so its clearly the better game.

13. suzerain

cyoa/vn/map game hybrid thing?? about becoming the leader of a country, and then developing it and steering it thru various events. its not a map game in the sense of a paradox game, and the trajectory of the country is somewhat set by the bounds of the vn style story telling, but despite that its broad and detailed in what is possible. my first playthrough i tried to push through various reforms, but i struggled to get the right backing to pass it. my popularity plummeted even as i kept trying to do the right thing, and eventually there was an outright attempt on my life. i ended the game losing my bid for reelection (the game ends after this point anyway, you only get one term). i thought a lot of this was basically me hitting the restrictions you usually hit in vn/cyoa games like this, but i played again and no, i just failed lol. ive not played a game in this style that has so much flexibility, and the world and its politics are extraordinarily coherent and well fleshed out.

12. djmax respect v

not much to say about a rhythm game. this is probably the best one ive played because the tracklist is gigantic and there is a huge difficulty/skill ceiling. theres 4, 5, 6, and 8 button modes, with the charts having 30 difficulty tiers. turn off the backgrounds because therye unbelievably annoying, and a lot of them have insane flashing/strobing. also i suck thaht gif is from like, a tier 11? 12? chart lol. some people full clear the hardest tracks with 100% hits only... one day...

11. victoria 3

after ck3 i was a bit worried about getting a paradox game on release but v glad i did. this is instantly one of the better paradox games alongside eu4 and hoi4, earning its place by having a really interesting economic simulation to play around with. you already know if this game is for you or not but if you like paradox games and havnt tried it yet, its very much wroth it, although ck2/3 players probably will hate it because its very much about mechanics rather than storytelling.

10. caves of qud

i have a weird problem where roguelikes with an overworld instantly turn me off of the game for some reason, so i initially bounced off this game when i first tried it a couple of years ago. hhwoever a combination of a friend enthusing about it and a couple of youtube videos about its complexity got me to give it another shot and im v glad i did. the overworld is static each run, with the tiles being procgen, which gives a good sense of how to progress your game each time, a bit like dcss and its various sub areas. and the complexity... i dont think theres another game in the genre with this many options for how to approach each run and character build, and some of what you can do becomes truly absurd.

the game lets you play either as a mutated human, or a "pure" human, with both having their own power building structure. a mutant will unsurprisingly mutate to become more powerful. you can absoltuely become a 4 armed 4 gunned psyker that can create forcefields around yourself. you can absolutely run around blasting everything with pyro and cryo kinesis while flying around with mutated wings. the pure humans cannot mutate but they start with more equipment, they are tolerated by the purist faction, and they get an array of cybernetic enhancements in place of mutations. you cant mutate more arms but you can surgically reform your face into an angelic visage to increase your ego, or turn your skin translucent so you are some insane biology diagram running around, which somehow makes you harder to hit??

probably the most insane options though would be the mutations that let you control others or even take over other bodies temporarily, although if your real body gets hit youll snap back to it. but what if your real body died in one hit before you could snap back? well obivously you simply stay in the body you had hijacked, permanently. for some reason this is all accounted for in the game and works lol extremely cool game.

9. splatoon 3

next in my running theme of games/series i had written off and now enjoy is splatoon 3. i had played some of the first one before, but the motion aiming was extremely annoying and a lot of the weapons felt unsatisfying to use. hwoever i ended up watching someone else who had also discounted the series have a lot of fun with this one, specifically w salmon run, and i wanted to give it another shot. the game, is very fun it turns out.

its a really solid shooter, with some extremely fun game modes. the single player mode is almost worth it alone, although its a bit too short to be the only reason to get the game. but its a lot of fun and very welcome in game that probably couldve just released without any single player at all. salmon run is one of the better horde modes, and it scales up to get quite hard to clear with matchmade team mates. lots of variation in the runs and rewards that are relevant to the main modes too. the pvp modes are all really good, although i think the unranked objectiveless "paint the map" mode is the weakest. some of the guns still feel like rear end, but theres also 70 of them so it doesnt matter.

8. sephonie

anodyne 2 devs make a parkour platformer with puzzle based boss fights. this game is a bit, bittersweet. its a good game, its up this high for a reason, but i couldnt help comparing it to anodyne 2 constantly and even though thats unfair, it doesnt compare in the story and writing. the gameplay however is better. the movement is awkward at first but has a really unique flow to it you get accustomed to and lets you sneak up into spots you thought you shouldnt be in, but that the devs knew you would get to. the little puzzle game is a pretty fun twist on various block placing games, its immediately recogniseable but doesnt play like any of the games it evokes. the levels are beautiful and strange and much more interesting to explore than the 3d parts of their previous game.

but it sort of falls apart at the end, unfortunately, in the writing. for probably 80-90% of the game the writing and characters are solid. the end of the game and its epilogue are a rushed mess that sort of spoil a lot of the story. the epilogue especially i would say is the worst offender, and if you skip it the game is immediately improved. however its still worth playing, its still one of the best games i played this year lol but just ignore the epilogue. pretend it doesnt exist. there is still a full game here to play that is worth your time.

7. path of exile

can u believe this is another game i had written off and finally got into??? i had tried playing this probably 4 or 5 times to this point, because i like arpgs, i have the brain thing where loot makes me hoot like an ape. what finally got me into the game was giving in and using a build guide to get off the ground. this is the most complex arpg by quite a margin and copying someone else let me ease into it, whereas before i had been trying to jump into the deep end without understanding even the basics. this is my most played game this year by an embarrassing amount and also already one of my most played games on steam ever. its complexity is compelling, the end game is absolutely incredible and the feeling of progressing a chracter is top tier. i still think the game drops too much pointless loot for no reason but at least you can filter it out. also having to play the campaign every time is "suboptimal". looking forward to making my own builds that are completely flawed and unusuable in the future.

6. disillusion

the pictures are pretty self explanatory. just your typical dungeon crawler. the wheel of samsara is turning golem, ack ack.

5. xenoblade chronicles 3

i tried xbc2 a year or so ago and i bounced off it really hard (this is the last time i promise), so i wasnt really thinking about this game. but when it came out i wasnt playing anything so i tried it out. basically instantly the game grabbed me, the setting and characters were just way more in line with what i like and were engaging the whole way through. more than that tho this is one of the best main parties in any jrpg. none of them fall flat, theyre all really fantastic and the in group dynamics are fleshed out incredibly well. the game also doesnt make you pick and choose who to use, everyone is in every fight, no ones just appearing for a cutscene and disappearing, and no one feels forgotten or underwritten. and this level of quality is maintained for the villains and many of the non-party friendlies you encounter. the very first antagonist is one of the most fun bad guys ever, just a complete fucker who loves being evil. theres side character arcs that are better than main character arcs in most other games. the only dip is in a handful of the optional party characters, some are a bit rushed and their story is blasted through without enought ime, but that applies to maybe 2 of the 16 or so available, and its more than outweighed by the really good ones.

the combat is very fun, with the game adding more and more complexity for basically the entire run time. this works well overall but there are one or two mechanics i wish came a bit earlier. one in particular thaht i dont even need to name, adds an incredible amount of flexibility to your party but comes so late theres very little to use it on and developing it requires a ton of back tracking.
its "open" world, although its more large maps that you travel between than a single contiguous space. but this works to its benefit and lets them make some v detailed areas that are fun to explore, with tons of side quests hidden all over the place. i eventually had to stop trying to complete them all and finish the game bcos i was getting burnt out but theres enough here to make the world feel dense w stuff to do, and the quality of writing is consistent over all of this. in fact some completely optional quests i found had pretty big character moments for the main party within them whcih i really appreciate.

the main story itself is incredible, its probably one of my favorite jrpg stories, with some unforgettable moments. this is extremely wishy washy but i dotn want tos poil anything lol somehow making me worried a main character was going to be gone forever while not doing that, and having it feel earned, is an incredible feat. if youve played you know, if you havnt and you like jrpgs you should. simple as that.

4. neon white

speedrunning first person shooter puzzle virtual novel breakcore album. absoltuel ydivine gameplay, ludicruous soundtrack, ultra stylish, extremely stupid writing thhat manages to stay on the entertaining side of dumb for most of the game. sitting down and playing one level for 30 minutes straight even though its a 10 second level to try and get the best time out of your friends leaderboard. somehow has 100 levels of this and it only keeps building and building. no dip. you will begin to create shortcuts only to realise the game expects you to use that route to get the best times.

gameplay is pure time attack, you have to get to the goal as fast possible, but it will only open when every enemy is defeated. the weapons are collected in level as cards, and discarding the weapon causes it to trigger its secondary ability; the pistol will give you an extra jump, the rocket launcher doubles as a grappling hook etc. level routing consists of working out how to spend your limited resources to destroy every enemy and get around the various obstacles. missing a few too many shots or discarding at the wrong time will mean resetting to try again. perfecting a route involves working out how to skip as much of the level as possible while still popping every enemy, requiring extremely efficient thinking and exploration of the space. you need to get at least gold medals to progress, and getting higher tier medals unlocks gifts to spend in the vn section, leaderboards and ghosts, and even hints on major skips. the top level medal is a hidden dev time medal which usually involves truly creative thinking to cut levels down by huge amounts.

even if you dont like the writing the game is good enough on a mechanical and aesthetic level to recommend playing and mashing through the dialog. v pure gaming experience, the soundtrack is gorgeous and matches the speed and intensity of the game perfectly, and the visuals are striking while keeping everything supremely clear and readable.

3. pokemon violet

bad frame rate cant stop this from being the best pokemon game ever made. sword and shields dlc concepts pushed out to a full open world, with the best characters in the series. an open world Pokemon Game, rather than an Open World Game with pokemon in it like arceus. god like. theres really nothing else to say bcos this is exactly what it looks like and its either something youve always wanted or something you dont care about at all.

also the area zero theme is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuMHCJ_fWJg

2. milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk/milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk

finally a game where i can play as a girl with schizoaffective disorder who hates milk. counts for milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk for pruposes of scoring.

1. elden ring

easily the best game of the year, this would be the best game of the year in nearly any year. one of the best video games ever created, and without question or even anything that comes anywhere near it the best world in any video game ever made. even replaying it this week, after 150 hours when it came out and seeing every location in the game, the world is truly unbelievable. it does not seem like it should exist, and it makes every other open world game look pathetic in comparison. its shocking that it is this huge, this unique, and this dense, with so little padding. not only resisting pointless busywork to fill up the world, its confident enough to hide entire zones that in other games would be capstones and let you completely miss them. even the smaller dungeons that share tilesets have more compelling and interesting design than most games main content.

some other posts mentioned the end portion of the game being worse than the rest but i cannot disagree more, the final run of end game boss fights contains the best from soft bosses in a non sekiro game, and many of them rank with sekiros best fights. maliketh, malenia, mohg, godfrey, radagon and elden beast is an insane final run of bosses, and anyone complaining about it is likely dealing with a severe skill issue, coping, and seething. godfrey/hoarah loux in particular is on par with owl and isshin. an incredibly special game, a high water mark, a flawless masterpiece. sublime. no notes. goty.

ez list

10. caves of qud
9. splatoon 3
8. sephonie
7. path of exile
6. disillusion
5. xenoblade chronicles 3
4. neon white
3. pokemon violet
2. milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk
1. elden ring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
elden ring can be the easiest or hardest souls game depending on if you want it to be easier or harder, which is nice

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
yeah er really lets you just go do other stuff and come back stronger if you want. also lots of ppl who have played souls games will go for dodge focused builds, and while you never really want to get to the point of being so heavy you cant roll, elden ring has def made heavy armor and a huge shield really viable again and its def a good way to play if you ever find yourself struggling against certain bosses attack chains, even if you only block half the time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
you can very clearly see a series of safe ledges down the hole

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
its actually more tight than all the games that arent sekiro

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Natural 20 posted:

what people claim is true of Elden Ring

it is true and it is why it is claimed as such. lo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

veni veni veni posted:

Also due to the sheer size it's definitely got some degree of copy paste that isn't present in their previous stuff.

there is at least one boss that is in all four souls games and ds1s back half includes 50 capra demons, 50 taurus demons and 50 dragons legs in a red pond.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
thhis is especially ironic bcos in the other games this stuff was almost literally copy paste level of inclusion, and in ER even the repeated encounters have some uniqueness to them and the dungeons with shared tilesets develop into very involved layouts unlike bloodbornes attempt at it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
making a list is alreaydy thought. let people live how they want.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Rarity posted:

People wouldn't care about this thread anywhere near as much if it was just a bunch of lists.

i dont think the people who enjoy writing a lot about games would suddenly stop, actually

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
i pref er to be inclusive rather than excludeo r make people do things they dont want to. let the listers be free to live their lives and still participate in the way they wish.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Epic High Five posted:

I've accepted that I'm not going to finish the last two games in time to see if they make my list so next year they go. Not to spoil anything about my list but I keep reading this thread and seeing Elden Ring and my brain goes, "gosh, wouldn't it be fun to play some more Elden Ring?"

i really want to try the elden ring randomizer mod but im forcing myself ot play other stuff instead bcos i got games for xmas lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

10. Monster hunter sunbreak - capcom's year was mostly dlc but it was dang good dlc.

9. Shotgun king - chess roguelike where you blow enemy pieces away with a frickin' double-barrel

8. Tmnt shredders revenge - the best turtles brawler ever made.

7. Tinykin - like pikmin and chibirobo had a baby that inherited none of either of its parents bullshit

6. Into the breach advanced edition - a great game gets even better. Always up for a loop of this game.

5. Vampire survivors - best 2 dollars I ever spent and best early access to 1.0 support i've seen in a while.

4. Signalis - an homage to resident evil, silent hill, neir automata, and classic save 1 bullet survival horror level design.

3. Norco - classic adventure with a story that fits our cyber nightmare era.

2. Ai somnium files nirvana initiative - the director has upped his game in terms of loving with the player to such a degree that the stupidest plot twist ever loops around to genius.

1. Elden ring - solves so many problems in the open world genre without losing what made souls good. Makes previous revelatory open world game botw feel unfinished with its huge dungeons that retain the classic souls dungeon gameplay.

:cheers:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
glad to see vg saw the truth and put ww and mm above oot and ffx above the other ffs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

haveblue posted:

How does an elden ring randomizer even work? There's no order in which you're supposed to do things and almost nothing you're locked out of with prerequisites

there are still key items you need tho, and they all get shuffled. great runes included. but theres also an option to make it so you need all 7 great runes to unlock the final boss, and you can do enemy randomisation in various ways, like shuffling the bosses around. it also means your build is going to be based on what you find like a first playthrough bcos you dont know where any equipment is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Barreft posted:

Can you make it that the 7 great runes drop from any bosses at all? Even some random catacomb one? If that's the case I know what I'm doing tomorrow, that's a huge boost to make me explore everywhere all over again

i havnt done it myslef yet but you can customise it how you would like it. so you can have it use the basic key item locations (the medallions, raya lucaria key etc), the main bosses, golden trees and churches, merchants, all mini/world bosses, and talisman locations and pick any combination of them you want and the great runes go into this pool as an important item alongside the others. same with the enemies, so you can have only the bosses randomized, or have full chaos with anything anywhere, or even just have every enemy be the final boss if you really want lol u can also optionally have vague area hints purchasable from merchants

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jordan7hm posted:

Second place Souls
2) Dark Souls 2
I've bounced off this one in the past, but finishing Elden Ring made me anxious to get more souls, and Elden Ring was so good that the positive vibes from finishing it carried me through the first half dozen hours of DS2 while I got my feet wet. Once I hit that point I was fully vested and dumped another 40 or 50 hours into my second souls game of the year. I know it’s got a less than great rep in terms of the Souls series, but I think it ranks up there with the other numbered Souls games. I think I came to like the slower combat here more than the DS3 combat.

ds2 has l ong been unfairly maligned, but its very good, and it gets the demon/ds1 concept of what a souls game is better than ds3 does imo. glad to see people enjoying it now :cheers:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
u will have to write "i like this game" after each one of those otherwise your list doesnt count

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
i put both

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
i dont think theres really going to be an influx of elden ring copies any more than there already has been lots of souls influenced games. its main addition is qol, and a comically huge and detailed open world, and thahts not easily replicated. at least i assume thats why no one else had done it up until now anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Natural 20 posted:

Difficulty isn't a problem for me and horror elements, whilst usually a detriment, aren't bad enough to make me stop playing anything.

It's just the unfortunate problem of knowing who I am.

Bloodborne is very widely praised by goons, but by contrast I consider it to probably be the worst game I've played in over ten years. The core issue is that Souls combat is incredibly dull for me (I'd discuss further, but this thread is meant to be about praising games we like and not about complaining, so I want to respect that). And I just know that if the core, hitting buttons to kill enemies, gameplay isn't something I like then the game is going to get unplayable for me, super fast.

Also add in my complete inability to walk away from something I've started without hating myself and you've a recipe for disaster.

skill issue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
thats still a skill issue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
the skill is flexibility and adaptability

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Natural 20 posted:

So if I prefer Cheddar cheese to Stilton then I have a skill issue?

would not use flavor as my counterpoint when the term acquired taste exidts :greencube:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
not my fualt someone decided to run into the goty thread to call bloodborne one of the worst games theyve ever played. and yet ill shoulder this blame. much like another person i can think of, from the bible.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jay Rust posted:

Post ur favourite 2022 game music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuMHCJ_fWJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDjnYYKKFA

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!