Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Thanks for all the effort put into the thread Rarity! Looking forward to reading everyone's lists :D

Still trying to think of what to put on mine, still got some time to play more games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I am still working my way through this thread to read everyone's lists but just created mine and thought I should post it :D

I have felt like I haven’t played a whole lot this year. Moving to Japan at the end of last year really changed things for me and I’ve only just truly settled in and can play games more. Getting a Steam Deck recently has really helped revitalise my appreciation of games and I can’t wait to play heaps of things I’ve got in my backlog that I now have a more comfortable way of playing. Also just want to say, I really enjoy all the time I spend reading the forums and thanks everyone for being around.
Anyway, onto the list!

Honorable Mentions

Picross S Mega Drive & Master System Edition
I really love all of the Picross S games I have played so far. Of the main series I have finished 1-3 so not even halfway through them all yet! I have picked to highlight this here because the theme was quite fun. Getting to solve puzzles which resulted in the sprites from some classic games was a compelling change, some of the fun of this series is the little image you are constructing coming to life in colour. Fun solid puzzleness, Picross might just be my favourite type of puzzle.

Link’s Awakening Remastered
I had played a bit of the original version of this game a long time ago on an emulator. I remember enjoying what I had played but I think I was too young to really understand what was going on. I still had a bit of nostalgia though, and with the cute graphics, fun enough simple combat, and a world which was enjoyable to travel around I got a solid time out of this. The framerate might not be perfect but it doesn’t detract from the game at all and I really enjoyed this!

Grand Theft Auto V
I thought I was done with this game. I had played through most of it when it came out originally, and then did actually play it through to completion at a later time on PC. I don’t know if I really like the GTA humour anymore. Sometimes I do think the jokes are clever, or at least stupid enough that you can’t tell if the writers think they’re writing high class comedy when it’s really just dumb and that somehow makes it funnier. I don’t really know how to describe it. Anyway I decided to try it out a bit on the Steam Deck to see how powerful the thing is and I got sucked back into this game!! The story is pretty drat stupid but the driving is fun enough and the shooting is not too bad either. I’ve realised that Rockstar really tried to create a “simulation” of life (or at least parts of it) and I think the game really succeeds in it’s strange blend of realism and not-realism. May have ranked higher if I had started playing it earlier in the year and had time for my feelings to percolate

The List

10. Bayonetta
I have purchased this game on so many different platforms now at this point, but I had never actually finished it! I think the furthest I got the original time I played it was just after the Space Harrier level, I guess I was pretty close at that point. It really isn’t that long either so it really is a surprise I hadn’t. I started playing it again once the hype for Bayonetta 3 started (I still haven’t got to that, have Bayo 2 to finish) and fell in love with it again. The cutscenes are very silly but Bayonetta is awesome and all the characters are cheesy and fun. It doesn’t take itself seriously and the combat is still very satisfying.

9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
I loved the Spyro games as a kid. I remember playing the original at my cousin’s house when we visited one time. Spyro 2 came one Christmas and my brother’s and I played it like crazy, spending a long time collecting all the orbs and completing the game. Then Spyro 3 came for one of my birthdays and it was again so much fun! As a kid I found a lot of fun in the variety of the game even though now in hindsight that was a sign of where the series was going to head. This remaster of the original trilogy is still so great. I played it on release on PS4 and completed everything within a couple of weeks, it was the only thing I did after getting home from work. Playing it through to completion again this year on Switch, I realised that I love these games so much, flaws and all. Solid platforming fun with fun characters and a good gimmick.

8. Final Fantasy VII
One of my brothers borrowed this game from a friend when I was a kid. I played through the intro to this game so many times that a lot of it was stuck into my head as the image of this game. From being on the internet so much I of course knew of the big spoiler AERIS DIES EVERYONE but there were actually other pieces of the story that I did not know that really blew my mind as having only played the intro to the game so many times over and over I would never have guessed! This game is really good, the reputation this game holds should never be in question. It does really rule, Cloud rules, Sephiroth is an overdramatic goth but he also rules. The story is really interesting and was a good message about the environment for the time it came out. This has motivated me to try giving more JRPGs a chance.

7. Fire Emblem: 3 Houses
I tried to get into this when it first released (got pulled in by the hype) but something just didn’t click with me back then. Gave it another shot this year and it consumed my life for a couple of weeks. I haven’t really played too many SRPGs so it was a really fun new experience. Even though I didn’t play on the really hard difficulty I was fine with it. The story was what pulled me in, I really wanted to know what would happen to my fellow students and really enjoyed getting to see everyone again after the time skip. I think similar to the above I will give some more SRPGs a shot, I’ve got Tactics Ogre ready on my Deck to try out at some point. You should really give this game a shot!

6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Kirby is great. Kirby is very cute. Really fun levels, fun to use powers, and very fun Mouthful Mode transformations, this game just knows how to be fun. Kirby is one of my favourite characters and I couldn’t not love this game.

5. Bloodborne
I had finished all of the FromSoft Souls games except for this one in the leadup to Elden Ring coming out. I took this as a good opportunity to correct that mistake. Bloodborne is an amazingly exciting game. The combat is fast and satisfying, the setting and environments are beautifully designed, and the world as a whole is just really well imagined. Miyazaki and all of the FromSoft team just created something so special with this. This game is an amazing spooky adventure.

4. Sackboy: A Big Adventure
This was not a game I expected to rank so highly for me. I was a fairly big fan of the 3 LittleBigPlanet games, even with all of their jankiness. My wife is a fan of Sackboy since she thinks he’s a cute character so I bought this to surprise her. We have played through a lot of the game so far together in co-op and it has just been some of the best times I’ve had this year. Although sometimes a bit stressful we always have a laugh about it and the levels are all really varied and fun. This is a great platformer! (I love platformers!)

3. Neon White
I love watching speedruns. I have tried speedrunning a bit before with the Resident Evil 2 Remake. Neon White takes the concept of speedrunning and puts it into bite sized packages that anyone can try out and succeed at without having to spend too much time on it. The almost puzzle-like way in which you figure out how to get the best time on a level. The god-awful story which I actually enjoyed to be honest. The great sense of speed and the excitement that comes with it. Just a really fun package and I think I will move over from playing it on the Switch and play it on the Deck now!

2. Vampire Survivors
Drugs and gambling in a wholesome video game package which doesn’t take advantage of you. I got into VS pretty soon after it started getting traction. I really enjoyed the almost zen state you could get into when you got powerful enough to get to the 30 minute timer. There’s just something so addictive about the way you kill enemies and pick up gems to level up. After taking a break for a couple months I’m back into it again and there’s so much stuff to do and the DLC to play. This game is a beautiful example of simplicity and created a fun genre of games which I’m enjoying seeing the evolution of.

1. Elden Ring
I mean, it had to be, right? From the moment the game was released, for about 3 or 4 weeks, I couldn’t think of anything else other than this game. While at work I kept thinking of different things I could do, places I could try travelling to, and bosses that I had left behind that maybe I should go back and fight now. I love all of the Souls games and Elden Ring just elevated them to the next level. It really is the culmination of everything FromSoft have made for the last 28 years. I can honestly say it might be the best game released in the last 10 years. The world was enormous, and then it got bigger and I thought surely that’s all there is, then it got bigger again. This kept happening. The game was just full of new places to explore and so exciting to play because of it. Combat was great, I love Souls game combat. I love using a really big weapon and focusing more on trying to dodge, and the weapon choices in this game did not disappoint. There are still things I did not do and now that I have a Deck I may just install it again and do another playthrough with a different build. What an achievement from FromSoft, just the best.

Easy List
10. Bayonetta
9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy (If I’m only allowed one game from this I guess Spyro 2? But I think this can count as a single game?)
8. Final Fantasy VII
7. Fire Emblem: 3 Houses
6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
5. Bloodborne
4. Sackboy: A Big Adventure
3. Neon White
2. Vampire Survivors
1. Elden Ring