Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was surprised the OP didn't take up an entire page by itself lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I make my list, I am a Year Purist and only include 2022 releases in the official rankings. That said, I spent a lot of time outside those games lol, so time to acknowledge those first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUdMLqzIxT0

Tekken 7 (250+ hours)
2022 was the year I "fought with honor." It really helps to have a good community to play with and the one from the forums has been great. Thanks to the People's Republic of Gamers and Ms_Unsmiley for making this a real thing!

https://i.imgur.com/D0OrQ5Z.mp4
Magic the Gathering: Arena (200+ hours)
Magic is an on-again, off-again thing in my life, and this was an on year. It helped that this year's first set was a mashup of the classic Japanese-inspired Kamigawa setting and cyberpunk, which pushed all my buttons (unfortunately there isn't an actual Hatsune Miku card)

Persona 5 Stikers (50 hours)
My real-time playthrough of Persona meant that how I spent my summer vacation also included Persona 5 Strikers. This second time around, it still remains a great experience: action combat that still retains the feel of the key characters and summoning; the storytelling also benefits from moving past the constraints and setup requirements of the original to really just spend time with these characters, which is what most players probably want!

Parasite Eve (10 hours)
My other real-time playthrough was the quintessential Christmas game, Parasite Eve, which really cut into my last-minute playtime this past week lol. It was ultimately worthwhile, however -- the game is a nostalgia bomb on all fronts and the score by Yoko Shimomura still holds up as one of the classics.

Other games I played this year that didn't qualify
Critters for Sale, Neon White, Stacklands, Samurai Shodown V Special, Magic Sword, Severed Steel, Outriders: Worldslayer, Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker patches, Vampire the Masquerade: Parliament of Knives, Disco Elysium, Dune Spice Wars, Scorn

Games I wish I could have put more time in, that could have been contenders:
Elden Ring, Soul Hackers 2, Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, Ghostwire Tokyo, Monster Hunter Rise, Taiji, Roadwarden, Sunday Gold, Stray, Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong, Frog Detective 3, Hardspace: Shipbreaker, Chinatown Detective Agency, Chained Echoes, Bayonetta 3, Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition, I was a Teenage Exocolonist, Tunic, Atari 50, Tinykin, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Prodeus, Live a Live

The Top Ten List
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws0Khnzvc4I&list=PLAKA_FqM6wxKdAsofB4NdIh-wA_fRnRtF

10. Vampire Survivors
A quick flash of enthrallment. A simple concept, one that is stretched to the limit and eventually made me think whether it was worth all the time it was taking, but until that point thinking through all the builds and the variety of characters was fun.
09. Melatonin
Gorgeous art and a hypnotic soundtrack. I hadn't played a rhythm game like this before but once I got into the literal groove, I just flowed my way through the game. Considering I'm often happy for games to not drag out, I was actually left wanting some new levels after all was said and done!
08. Norco
The center of my list is the year's fantastic sci-fi story-driven games and they're all basically at the same level for me. Norco captures the grit of a dystopic Louisiana, briskly weaving two storylines where the mystery keeps growing even as you learn more information and grow your mental map (bonus points for any game with a relationship web lol). The lyricism of this game's writing really got me.
07. Citizen Sleeper
A game that crystallizes melancholy and hope. I love how the light RPG mechanics -- a few stats feeding into a whole host of dice rolls and checks, a la contemporary rules-light TTRPGs -- give enough crunch to the story progression, to guide you in selecting from the limited options you have at your disposal as an emulated robotic consciousness taking refuge on a space station at the margins. The vignettes that unfold and the characters whose paths intertwine with yours are all touching, which is a testament to the game's concise yet punchy writing.

06. Signalis
Absolute mood. Parasite Eve reminded me of how much the PS1 aesthetic is a potent nostalgia trigger for me and this game activates that with precision. I often bounce off survival horror mechanics but these are designed "just right" for how I remember the PS1 classics doing it. The soundtrack is such a banger (listen to "Cigarette Wife" from the playlist if you listen to anything) and the elliptical, fragmented storytelling just gets its hooks into my brain.
05. Rollerdrome
This is the game that I hoped Neon White would be. Action that moves at a blistering pace, stylish combat that's all about chaining together sick kills while doing a sweet 540 flip and entering into slomo for a multikill. The developers know how to sketch in the dystopian world of the game's setting, and the unfolding conspiracies, with a light touch that doesn't distract from the action. The Moebius-ish art style and 70s-inflected electro and synth soundtrack just add on to make this such a cohesive package.
04. Victoria 3
The intricacies of a Paradox grand strategy game are hard to convey in a short space, so a story about my political travails through a tumultuous 19th century will have to suffice. Any game that allows me to make the El Salvadorian film industry the envy of the world, and where the bandit queen union leader I was at odds with in one decade ends up being the key political leader that staves off the fascist ascendancy to help usher in the golden age of communism -- well, that's a great game. It's the first one of the Victoria games that has a comprehensible trade system, which is a huge accomplishment lol.

03. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
I got to kill Chaos, automatic top 3. The combat in this game is some of Team Ninja's best work, and I love how it brings the feel of a lot of iconic Final Fantasy classes to action gameplay -- the dragoon has one of the most satisfying jump attacks in an action game. The story is cheesy and that makes it perfect, and now Frank Sinatra is officially part of the Final Fantasy Universe, a good year
02. Last Call BBS (bonus Zachtronics Solitaire Collection)
Back when this seemed like it might be Zach Barth's last game, it felt like a momentous work and the end of an era. That era has apparently not closed, but the structure of this game (lots of smaller activities rather than drilling down on dozens of levels with the same mechanic) jived with me so well. You get to play solitaire! You get to do picross! You get to paint gundams! The fake classic computer interface also pushes nostalgia buttons (perhaps a theme with this list). Even though it's a separate game and thus I won't list it officially, the Solitaire Collection that Zachtronics also released this year is a great companion piece -- the tarot solitaire game in that one is one of their best solitaires, and considering they have enough to make a whole collection, that's high praise from me.

01. Pentiment
When a game asks you to solve a mystery, there are a few templates -- it might be something with clearly delineated rules and structure where you can see the pieces and how they fit, like an Obra Dinn or an Ace Attorney. Or it might be a story-driven experience where the "mystery" is simply a device for the story and there's not much for you to puzzle over, like a Dontnod game. The genius of Pentiment is how the game obscures which one of these it is to the very end, and in that ambiguity and tension it made me care about every moment, every decision, and every consequence.

The setting of Tassing-Kiersau in 16th-century Germany is so well-realized. Starting off, I was overwhelmed with how many characters and how many plot threads were being presented to me, but the game is careful and patient in leading you through it all, and by the end I felt so connected to this place and its people -- they felt real and meaningful and so any choice I made about them felt so momentous. Everything about this game has so much care put into it. The historical detail and research is obvious (I love that the credits have a full scholarly bibliography) but even seeing how much effort was put into the game's fonts blew me away. This is a game that loves writing, in all its forms and all its shapes, and that just makes me love the game even more.

The shortlist:
10. Vampire Survivors
09. Melatonin
08. Norco
07. Citizen Sleeper
06. Signalis
05. Rollerdrome
04. Victoria 3
03. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
02. Last Call BBS
01. Pentiment

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 1, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Booky we should both play Live a Live in 2023.

Also there's 15 minutes left...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTicU8jklyI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I am pretty convinced at this point that the slow start in Tristrat was probably by intent.

It speaks to the confidence that the devs had in the game. They wanted the early part of the game to be evocative of peacetime and so naturally battles are scarce and a player can sense the difference when poo poo finally hits the fan.

Additionally I feel like all the work they do in those early chapters does a lot of the heavy lifting for establishing you in Norzelia so that decisions you make and the reactions to them from the wider cast make sense deeper in the game.

I think one of Tristrat's greatest strengths is that no character feels like they pick up an idiot ball at any time and that if you look at how they act, it's always consistent with the beliefs the game has established for them.

And if you don't feel like you can be patient with the game for three hours, then the devs are fine with you tapping out.

Yeah I guess I had the opposite problem in the early game where I was interested in seeing how the story was developing but the actual combat mechanics gave me anxiety because of how momentum-based it is and having a unit one tile out of position can lead them to getting hit three times in a row and dying immediately, which meant I got really bogged down in trying to do battles "perfectly" until someone had to tell me that the XP loss from having a character taken out is actually not that impactful lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have caught up on this thread, so many good lists.

Based on that, my to-play list for 2023 (purely based on games mentioned here and no new releases yet) is 55 games lol (there are two other games that weren't on anyone's lists but I know I need to play)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'd be curious to see what that list looks like for my own personal curiosity. I've got a few games I'm considering eventually but there was A Lot in this thread to read through.

https://www.backloggd.com/u/ComradeSolar/backlog/title/

Up to 62 games now, a lot of them are from 7th Guest's marathon of a list lol

The ones that weren't on anyone's lists were Vampire the Masquerade Swansong (reviews deride it as janky but I am a sucker for the setting and the developers' whole no-combat rpg system) and Butterfly Soup 2 (I loved the first one). I don't know if anyone had Chinatown Detective Agency on their list either (the whole outside research to find evidence thing sounds neat) or Chained Echoes (might have been too late for most people to finish a long JRPG?)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Post ur favourite 2022 game music!!

All the games on my top ten have amazing music, so this is The Best Song Not on The List
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ugvhksot8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I forget that some people don't have youtube links autoembed, I'll have to remember that in the future...

Anyway i went through the past year of Humble Choices and found a few of the games from the To-Play List I made on there (like 3 lol... not sure I'm making the most of the service).

One of the keys I already had was for the visual novel If Found... which was #37 on DMCrimson's list this year and which was in my top ten a few years ago lol.

If anyone is in interested in this game, the Steam Key is

N8?X4-?60YR-DHK?T

Where ? is the first letter in the title of this year's likely GOTY

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

gently caress I need to go back to Eorzea

:hai:
I also need to go back to eorzea... it's the holidays and i need whatever cosmetic gear they have this year

edit: oh no i missed yesterday's last opportunity to get the starlight steed mount... i can get the glamours for heavensturn (new years) at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Based on the lists I don't think too many people got a chance to play Melatonin so I'll rep it some more, this is the song to the level where I realized the game was magical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyV36jCBkCY
Just vibin'

ShakeZula posted:

This thread has convinced me to buy Inscryption, Pentiment, and Citizen Sleeper, so good job thread!

As an aside, rope kid has been tweeting about how much he's been liking Citizen Sleeper... makes me feel good to see forums GOTY candidates lifting each other up lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was thinking about buying Encased since it was on a few lists. It's part of this month's Humble Choice if people were also thinking about it!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

has there even been a single good one since starcraft 2 wings of liberty

Didn't people like AOE4? I started the first campaign but didn't get too much further

I liked the History Channel style documentaries they had in it though (4K video was like 100 gb lol)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

Glad I waited until this week to play Disco Elysium. There would've been some hard choices to make if it'd been a few weeks earlier. What a game.

I have played like 15 hours of Elden Ring this week and I wonder if I had done that last week instead if I would have felt I played enough to list it...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh crap, I overslept... on this day of all days... I am catching up now though

Entenzahn posted:

I didn't know they were closing up shop. :( I will forever cherish my memories of feeling very stupid in SpaceChem.

Zach Barth said he was going to quit making games to take up a math teaching position... lmao that literally he found out students didn't like having to solve puzzles for class, so he is probably going to develop games again, it just won't be with the Zachtronics crew

VideoGames posted:

58. CRYSTAL PROJECT
(Andrew Willman, 2022, New Entry)
34 points, listed 5 times, #1 2 times

From now on whenever I fear that I haven’t achieved anything in life I will remember that Andrew Willman produced this entire game all by himself and know that my fears are absolutely right.

I bought this game on sale because of this thread, I am looking forward to it

Rarity posted:

57. SONIC FRONTIERS
(Sonic Team, 2022, New Entry)
35 points, listed 6 times

It’s official, folks! Sonic is good again!

If there was an award for most unexpected moment in a game this year it would have been when this song came on lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKc7WFOSYoY

Rarity posted:

53. VICTORIA 3
(Paradox, 2022, New Entry)
37 points, listed 6 times, #1 1 time

Charlie, I’m listening :frogon:

VideoGames posted:

36. STRANGER OF PARADISE: FINAL FANTASY ORIGINS
(Team Ninja, 2022, New Entry)
61 points, listed 11 times, #1 1 time

Jack Garland may only have peaked at #36 but he got to kill Chaos and really who could ask for more than that?

The 3rd DLC comes out this month so even as a Year Purist I will be able to nominate this game again for 2023 lol... and it deserves it
https://twitter.com/TruebladeSeeker/status/1610512879064846336

Legitimately might be four final fantasy games on 2023's list lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have slept on Returnal for so long it isn't a PS5 exclusive anymore lol... I will still play it on there probably because of the Haptics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

25. PERSONA 5 ROYAL
(Atlus, 2019, Up 1)
88 points, listed 13 times, #1 1 times

With yet another showing in our countdown it appears that you’re going to be playing Persona 5 Royal forever, probably because it’s 1000 hours long!

https://s1.webmshare.com/x8RBb.webm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember when someone pre-awarded Cyberpunk goty in the 2020 thread before the game came out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I knew I wasn't going to get to it in time for 2022, I'm marking out some time in the summer sale probably for the Fort

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-BbusMdkU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm on what basis was the "Best Cat" award given... I can think of a few others

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I need to do the Citizen Sleeper DLC story, I decided not to move forward with it until the last part came out (i think it's either this month or next)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have two games on my list left... one was my 10 and one was my 1 lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

time for a runoff vote

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Here be lions"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4O5CVvwgFI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Look I don't care what anybody says, nobody's convincing me to play an MM-

-okay now I'm intrigued....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4PqnOt59g

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I return to will Pentiment into first place.

I am lending you my energy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That post that was like "This game is more politically brave than the Biden administration" had me intrigued

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Jerma had done his Hatsune Miku Wrestling Empire episode last month the game woulda had a chance

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Metis of the Hallway posted:

After you beat this game, the menu music changes to an orchestral theme with a woman dramatically singing “TRIANGLE STRATEGY”.

I was scrolling through the quotes and until this one came up I thought "is this pentiment"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

I underestimated Pentiment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

imagining this vocalist belting out "triangle strategy" now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBqejIeBlQ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think pentiment should have got award for best hat as well...

contender for cat

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1592955671535919104

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks for the GOTY thread, now time for me to return to the Forgotten Land

Edit: the lands between

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Jesus those are some mindblowing points for Elden Ring

And haha I'm most Clairvoyant, I won that once in TVIV too

sounds more like you have tapped deep into the psyche of the archetypal goon

Rarity posted:

This is like the 3rd time I've won biggest hipster :negative:

It's because of the year difference... if this were a Year Purist thread it would probably be different

I will continue to live by my own justice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1605703613703106560

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stux posted:

elden ring is the only game ive ever played for 150 hours at release and then gone back 6 months later and had the game world still seem unbelievable and like it shouldnt exist

I came back to this game after 9 months (already had 30 hours in) and I was like, "wait were all these places here in the first two areas that I just completely missed? Were all these characters around for me to talk to? how big and intricate is this game lol"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For those of you who are thinking about becoming Sleepers, note that the game has one more free DLC update to go (should be soon)

The DLC takes the form of quests and NPCs that are directly integrated into the base game that form their own storyline.

I don't think this should stop you from starting right away, but once I realized what was part of the DLC I held off on continuing further with that with the intent of coming back to it once it was all done

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am going to call my shot and predict that Final Fantasy XVI will be my GOTY 2023

(I note that the cluster formed by me, ibblekibble, and mamkute seems primarily based on our support of Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be interesting to see XIV vs XVI if there's an expansion at the end of 2023 but I don't follow the patches etc closely enough to know if they're on schedule for that

The next expansion should be in 2024... I gave 14 a ranking in an "off year" because the 5.1-5.3 patch story and raids were amazing and was basically like a 10 hour game in itself

The real Final Fantasy Wildcard is if Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth comes out December... they did say "next winter" lol