Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
All right! My games list. These aren't all games I played a lot this year, but they're games I thought about and watched people play and absorbed my time.

10) Elden Ring is a mountain I am determined to climb. I spent a lot of time - a LOT of time - watching other people play this and I'm gonna drat well play it myself.
9)Dwarf Fortress is my goal for next year and my favourite game to ever exist. Look at the drat thing. I *will* learn to actually play it properly if it kills me, and everyone around me.
8)Stardew Valley has captured my attention again thanks to mods. Currently wooing Elliot and working on year 2.
7)No Man's Sky just keeps getting better and better, and bigger and bigger. It's never going to be brilliant, but it is a lovely place to spend time.
6)Death Stranding sucked me in with that insane opening sequence. I would die for BB.
5)Animal Crossing: New Horizons is still absorbing an hour or two of my time every single day. I wish Bones would stop asking to move out.
4)Path of Exile, oh Path of Exile. Someday I'll stop loving about with low level alts and get into maps on a consistent basis.
3)Siralim Ultimate is an amazing little creature-collector with depth for days. You could play this for hundreds of hours and never run out of content. The writing is so-so but the creature design is great, and the ability to create game-breaking synergies is within everyone's reach. I am not good at tactical gaming and I had a blast with this, and expect to keep enjoying it. And it will play on literally anything including your phone.
2) Pokemon Legends Arceus was a real breath of fresh air earlier in the year. Adored it.
1) Pokemon Violet has absorbed almost all my gaming time since it came out. A technical disaster, but a gameplay triumph. The best pokemon game ever made. I'm trundling through the postgame and absolutely loving it. It has an actual story! Characters! Everything!

Honourable mentions: Stellaris, FF14, Titan Quest, Wildermyth, Vampire Survivors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I've accepted that I'm not going to finish the last two games in time to see if they make my list so next year they go. Not to spoil anything about my list but I keep reading this thread and seeing Elden Ring and my brain goes, "gosh, wouldn't it be fun to play some more Elden Ring?"

Like that thing where if someone mentions Vampire Bloodlines, somebody else has to reinstall it

Enjoy Bloodlines!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Listen if anyone formed their opinions without the involvement of a toilet I don't wanna hear em

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

as someone with basically zero nostalgia for JRPGs, Crystal Project just feels really lovely to play. Cosy and comfortable and just kinda - really *nice*. I haven't delved very deep but I have to think if you *do* have an affection for the kind of game it is, you'll adore it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

godspeed you, Studas

Stonah surely

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Phantasium posted:

i know precisely zero people give a poo poo because I was the only dumbass to put a star ocean game on their list (i think?), but i did end up beating the last boss with 7 minutes to go in 2022 so i ultimately managed to keep my completely arbitrary list rule intact for 2022!

hooray! my brain is broken!

Congrats!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

hell yeah

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I ain't played a single Soulsborne game but goddamn if all the praise I'm seeing for Elden Ring here hasn't put it on my radar.

Stupid question, how's it run on the Deck? I'm guessing badly...

Runs great, actually. You won't get much battery life though, play it plugged in IMO.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm gonna play one big chunky JRPG this year! It's gonna be the year I figure them out properly! DQ11, Persona 4, or Tales of Berseria, these are the ones I'm eyeing most closely.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

okay!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I thought I was aiming the stick the wrong way :smith:

Oh is that why the avatar, hm? Trying to expunge guilt, hmmm?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Incredible, thank you so much Rarity and VG and everyone who contributed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Excellent, now we all know who our secret best game friend is! Hello Shneak!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I was the only one who put 3 of my top 4 and only 1 other person picked sleeping dogs :cripes:

at least someone else enjoyed the we were here series

I loved Sleeping Dogs a few years back! One of the better open-world cities to just wander around in never progressing the plot, just mucking about and seeing the sights. My favourite thing to do in open-world city games. I have way more hours in GTAV just messing about in director mode than actually playing the story.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Big contenders for my GOTY 2023 are Breath of the Wild which I *just* got and haven't started yet, Dragon Quest XI, and whatever DLC comes out for Pokemon ScarVio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There are a lot of unlocks and such but hey, not every game is for everyone.