Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Trying to get through Crisis core before the year ends to see if it lands on the list.

I have so many loving videos to make at the moment that it's not even funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
One day someone will make a game with the open world depth of BotW or what people claim is true of Elden Ring, but with the Combat of DMC/Bayonetta and I will go insane and disappear for a year.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Stux posted:

it is true and it is why it is claimed as such. lo.

Yeah I imagine it is, I've just not played it myself!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The rules

1. I must have played the game for the first time in 2022.
2. No Ocarina of Time aka remasters of games that I have played before don't count unless there is a significant difference between the versions.
3. Games from outside 2022 are allowed if they fall under #1.

The Year 2022

2022 has been a very weird year for me in gaming. The early parts of the year are characterised entirely around Elden Ring. As someone who had never played a From game before and was not going to, owing to LP commitments dictating that my first From game be Bloodborne, I wasn't going to buy ER and so instead, sat through a complete drought.

There was a period from around mid March to the beginning of June where not a single game I was interested in released. Which is just a very strange experience for me, there's always *something* that I'm looking forward to playing each month.

Honourable Mention #1 - Ace Combat 7 - came to the rescue here. I went back and S ranked every mission on Ace after getting inspired by NineGearCrow's incredible LP. It was incredibly satisfying to figure out how to deal with Extra mission 2 through my own surprisingly good understanding of the game. It doesn't make the list because it's banned under Rule 1.

It was helped by Honourable Mention #2 - Mario Kart 8 - Where the new DLC courses that were introduced across the year have been magnificent. I don't really count these as new games, so MK8 falls under Rule 1 and out of the list.

And then Bloodborne happened.

I have never really found myself not wanting to play videogames in my life. They are just a fundamental part of who I am.

I can't really describe the depression I felt as I went through Bloodborne. The worst part was that I couldn't put it down since I had committed to LPing it from start to finish. So I was put in a catch-22 of my own making where my options were to give up, which is unacceptable to me, or to continue to torture myself playing a game I hated.

From around July to September I couldn't make myself pick up videogames. RPGs like Xenoblade 3 that I'd looked forward to for years just fell by the wayside because I simply couldn't muster any enthusiasm for a hobby that I love.

Honourable Mention #3 - League of Legends - was all I managed. It was the only game I could make myself play. Essentially turning off my brain and walking into match after match and just doing my thing was all I could fathom doing. I improved over time, finally reaching a plateau and letting go of the game as I found myself in a better place. It doesn't make the list because I'm not really convinced it's actually a good game, or that spending all that time playing was particularly good for me.

Eventually a certain game at #1 on my list restored my gaming mojo (YOU, IF YOU ARE SKIMMING THIS, PLAY THE GAME AT #1) and I got back into catching up on everything I missed.

Honourable Mention #4 - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Classic made this catchup job far harder than it needed to be, by essentially deleting a month of my life as I got back into the best single expansion that WoW ever produced, except this time, I'm actually decent at the game. Wrath has been a staple on my schedule since its release and I'm looking forward to exploring Ulduar in the coming year. It doesn't make the list because I think that despite it technically being different to the original, it probably still falls under the No Ocarina of Time rule.

And so we came to the end of the year and huge rush to catch up on the pile of games that had stacked up while I was being depressed and slam picking Kayle every game in League.

It was definitely a fun rush. A lot of games from October through December made their way into the top 10 and I came out the end of the year with a smile on my face.

I'd describe 2022 as either one of the strongest years in gaming, if you care about Elden Ring, or one of the weakest, if you don't. What I can say is that I'm glad to see 2023 rolling in because I'm getting the incredible double hit of a new Fire Emblem and a new Octopath traveller within a month of each other to start.

In any case, with all that preamble.

Because I am a huge diva I did a video list again:

Click, enjoy and have a wonderful new year SA!

List for Rarity's sanity:
10. Pokemon Scarlet
9. Pokemon Legends: Arceus
8. Crisis Core -Final Fanatasy VII- Reunion
7. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
6. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
5. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
4. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
3. Bayonetta 3
2. Triangle Strategy
1. Mega Man Rock n Roll - DOWNLOAD HERE https://dennisengelhard.com/rock-n-roll/

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

While true it is cool to see the consensus form. Last year my goty was also FF14 endwalker and it’s cool to see, at least for me, how much everyone really enjoyed a game and it’s a testament to that game. Elden ring has been discussed to death but I truly feel it’s the new standard we will be comparing games against going forward. Just so good

Reading the views on ER has been interesting to me because it seems like, as you mentioned, it's going to be a touchpoint for gaming discussion for a long time, but it's also a game that I'm never going to play. It really helps to at least have some sort of reference and frame of understanding for the future.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Phenotype posted:

So, and I don't mean to sound pushy at all here -- the reason Elden Ring is at the top of so many lists this year is because it ended up being the game of the year even for people who would have described it as "a game that I'm never going to play." I was saying the same thing in February -- I don't have the patience for really difficult games, I get spooked by horror stuff in games, it's just not for me. But the hype online was really strong, and my cousin was SO into it, and I said what the hell, I'll play it and just drop it when it gets too hard, I don't have to keep going if I'm not into it, and then

I would seriously recommend at least trying it if you have a chance.

Difficulty isn't a problem for me and horror elements, whilst usually a detriment, aren't bad enough to make me stop playing anything.

It's just the unfortunate problem of knowing who I am.

Bloodborne is very widely praised by goons, but by contrast I consider it to probably be the worst game I've played in over ten years. The core issue is that Souls combat is incredibly dull for me (I'd discuss further, but this thread is meant to be about praising games we like and not about complaining, so I want to respect that). And I just know that if the core, hitting buttons to kill enemies, gameplay isn't something I like then the game is going to get unplayable for me, super fast.

Also add in my complete inability to walk away from something I've started without hating myself and you've a recipe for disaster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Foul Fowl posted:

oh fair enough, i get your point. though that's always been the case with these kind of games with one thing or another, like the brown/gray/brown era of gaming, cover based shooters, arkham asylum style combat, etc.

like fallen order seemed like such a transparently trend-riding game that if it didn't copy souls it would have copied something else popular and slapped star wars on top of it. i never played it but that's my impression of the game. tunic idk, i'm staying away from all info about that game in case i ever play it.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that games that have a strong and clear vision behind them won't be affected, while the games that would have ripped something else off will probably rip off elden ring instead.

I think the influence ended up being more subtle than that in some places.

I'm drawn to my thoughts on God of War 4 for this.

The combat in that game is much slower than in the original series. You contrast it with God of War 3 and you're moving around at a snail's pace, you don't have a combo counter any more and the game is much more about evading and countering attacks rather than using balls to the wall offense to overcome enemies before they have a chance to get in on you.

Now some of this is down to the change in creative vision for the series. Kratos is deliberate and exhausted with battle in 4, where in 3 he's an indiscriminate killing machine. And I do think that vision of Kratos and where they wanted to go with the game is clear.

But it's interesting to me that the way the devs figured they would evoke this vision of Kratos was to have him slow down, wield a big, heavy weapon and hide behind a shield.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Stux posted:

skill issue

Nah, just playstyle preference. I did beat Bloodborne in a relatively reasonable amount of time, it was just not very fun for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Stux posted:

the skill is flexibility and adaptability

So if I prefer Cheddar cheese to Stilton then I have a skill issue?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jay Rust posted:

I am one of the goons who played the trianglestrats demo and thought “eww”, one day I will give it a proper shake

I am pretty convinced at this point that the slow start in Tristrat was probably by intent.

It speaks to the confidence that the devs had in the game. They wanted the early part of the game to be evocative of peacetime and so naturally battles are scarce and a player can sense the difference when poo poo finally hits the fan.

Additionally I feel like all the work they do in those early chapters does a lot of the heavy lifting for establishing you in Norzelia so that decisions you make and the reactions to them from the wider cast make sense deeper in the game.

I think one of Tristrat's greatest strengths is that no character feels like they pick up an idiot ball at any time and that if you look at how they act, it's always consistent with the beliefs the game has established for them.

And if you don't feel like you can be patient with the game for three hours, then the devs are fine with you tapping out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like if I continue to try to engage with this, it's just going to derail the thread from talking about things we like.

So yeah, sod that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwWN4wle_Q

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I am glad I got to be a complete diva with my number 1.

Cottonwolf posted:

Mega Man Rock n Roll

Even though it cost Tristrat a precious point.

But I do think it's reflective of 2022 that my favourite game was a fangame from 2019.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I'm giving Citizen Sleeper a go this January because statistics say you are my best friend.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

TriffTshngo posted:

if i don't see live a live on some of you mf's lists this december there will be violence

It's almost certainly on mine.

A loving shame I didn't play it in 2022. From what I've seen it would easily have ended up around the top 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's going to be really interesting to see Tears of the Kingdom in the context of Elden Ring.

Largely because I'm struck by how so much of the praise I've read for Elden Ring rings very similarly to the praise I read for Breath of the Wild back in 2016.