Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Video games ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honorable Mentions

HM: Final Fantasy VII/IX
I would feel lame putting these on the list even though FF9 is "objectively" the best game I played this year, it'd be like putting Doom 2 or Tetris as #1 because I played it a bit. FF9 owns but FF7 owns almost as hard. I will play FF8 at some point
HM: Slay the Spire
This is the game I played the most but I'm leaving it off the list for punishment because it was responsible for me not playing very many games this year. It is too addictive and I really should uninstall it. It's so good
HM: Voice of Cards (series)
These are just comfy and scratch the occasional itch I have for "I want a nice simple JRPG like Dragon Quest". I don't want to put them on the list because that would be doing a disservice to what I like about these games- they're low-key, calm, and can hit you with an emotional gut-punch when the chill vibes make you unguarded.
HM: Cyberpunk 2077
This game owns. I'm leaving it off the list because of some statement about releasing unfinished games and definitely not because I forgot to put it on and don't want to re-edit the list and knock Inscryption off.
HM: mofumofusensen
OK I didn't play this one I just wanted to throw a bone to the guy who decided to release his indie fighting game in North America because someone drew fanart of his big titty catgirl OC with a huge rear end. This was probably a joke.

Games That I Didn't Play Enough To Rate In Good Faith But Probably Would Have Been On The List If I Had Played Them, Sorry

Elden Ring
Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise
Neon White
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series
Pokemon: Scarlet/Violet
Live-A-Live

The Actual List
10. Inscryption
I'd say more but I don't want to spoil it. I had a few complaints but there was no game on the list that hooked me as hard from the opening few minutes.
9. Triangle Strategy
Speaking of being hooked from the opening few minutes, if you are the kind of person who gets immediately hooked when a game's opening cutscene talks about the political dynamics of trading natural resources, you will like this game. I loved this game.
8. Elevator Action Returns (S-Tribute)
This is a game where you shoot enemies and things explode. It's really hard, and has Jad the Taff in it. If you want an arcade game where you can just shoot people for ten minutes or so, I really recommend this. It's stylish, extremely well-animated, difficult and just so much fun.
7. Fuga: Melodies of Steel
I did replay this but honestly I'm mostly putting it on the list because I feel bad at not putting it on the list last year and cursing it with a HM. Thank you CyberConnect2 for spending your licensed-anime-kids-game bucks on making this, and funding a sequel despite it selling like total rear end, apparently because your CEO is literally a furry.
6. Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival
It's more Taiko. It now has an absurd amount of songs that you can pay a subscription for, which is actually a good move for me because I spent an absurd amount of money on Taiko DLC with the prior game. I am broke da-don.
5. Pentiment
Josh Sawyer Presents: Wintiment. I like a good murder mystery, and my favorite murder mysteries happen to be the ones which are more about relationships in a small community than the murder itself. Combine that with a history-nerd level of detail, and a great story about faith, myth, and books, and- god I'm so glad this got released.
4. Splatoon 3
More splat so it's on the list by default. Which I haven't been playing a lot because of....
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
My brain broke and I decided I had to do this before XC3 which everyone I know adores. This does everything I love about JRPGs. It's idiotically huge, it lends itself surprisingly well to short sessions because you can just explore for a bit, it has a dopamine-releasing gacha system that doesn't cost money, it has some of my favorite character designs in any JRPG, and above all, it has that utter inability to maintain any sort of consistent emotional tone that I absolutely adore. This is the genre where the Most Emotional Moment in All Gaming is backended by a snowboarding minigame and a slapstick twist involving a giant cat robot. It's all about the tonal roller-coaster and I love it. Also I haven't finished it but I don't know how bad the back half of the game would have to be to drop it down the list, so there.
2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
In retrospect it's so obvious that Kirby's slower pace, floatier movement, and emphasis on combat powers would lend itself to 3D levels, and also lead itself to having some of the most satisfying boss fights I've played in a platformer. Best game ending of 2022, hands down.
1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (but it probably would have been Xenoblade 3 if I had actually had time to do that one)
I dunno what to say. This is just a charm festival from start to finish. I know there are people who don't like Dragon Quest, but I don't want to meet them, and IMO they should be permabanned.

0. Hollow Knight: Silksong
i stole a copy from australia it's real good folks. it's good and real, and hornet is real, and she is my friend.

(the list without words)
The Actual List
10. Inscryption
9. Triangle Strategy
8. Elevator Action Returns (S-Tribute)
7. Fuga: Melodies of Steel
6. Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival
5. Pentiment
4. Splatoon 3
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 11, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Good choice OP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OP would it be possible this year, to get a list of games that only one voter put on their list, or does that not work well with your tabulation method

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
will Hollow Knight: Silksong be announced during the Game of the Year 2022 Thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rope Kid should be banned from this thread, so as not to bias the judges

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ALOY: This doesn't seem like the right thread to have this discussion in. I wonder.... Maybe I could use my list of the ten best games of the year here...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
some tasty tasty lists posted itt, OPs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i know at least a few people who try to play a ton of indies/smaller releases per year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Some more epic lists itt, ops

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
am i going to get super robot war pilled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
timed exclusives dont count

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Silksong will change gaming and world history forever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
goat post

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont say much because i always think lists are best when you don't overthink them and go based off pure gut feeling

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you can't write two sentences, not only do you not deserve to vote but you arguably do not deserve to live

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got it, on my Nintendo Switch console but I haven't played it yet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't it the same producer as Tristrat/Bravely Default?

Kind of a reminder that there's like a lack of consistency about who gets creative credit for a game, apart from some high profile "auteur" figures.

or stuff like how everyone immediately credits Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey to Mistwalker despite the fact that Mistwalker didn't have very many employees and the bulk of the "actual" game was made by Artoon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think that a good test for Tristrat is if you hear the opening narration about the fictional political ramifications of the salt trade and are the type of person who goes "oh hell yeah"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i ended up liking the dialogue bits (including the whole branching plot system) even more than the combat but i am a total sucker for the vibe Tristrat was going for

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
basically if you give me people in period/fantasy costumes but have them be politically scheming and plotting behind the scenes in florid dialogue I am all for that poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Foul Fowl posted:

i think there was a similar feeling around the original dark souls - this game's so popular, everyone's gonna try and copy it. then it turns out that making one of those games actually good and fun is extremely difficult and i don't think adding an enormously detailed and wonderful open world on top of it makes it any easier. it also took fromsoft five iterations of basically the same game to get to elden ring.

it might finally drive home the idea to major game devs that gamers can be trusted to figure things out for themselves. though given how many devs had meltdowns about elden ring (and metroid dread which has a similar ethos despite being a completely different game) maybe not.

i think Souls influence is more detectible in the indie scene than major releases. 2011-ish was weird, there was this vibe going around that the future of gaming was casual and mobile games, so bringing "player-hostile" back into the vocabulary was a big deal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I feel like people would have been more on board with TriStrat's story from the start if everyone in the English dub was hamming it up as much as Dragan

dub...... classic mistake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness i think most reviews mentioned the English dub of tristrat being kind of dull, though I don't think it's as bad as like, what I've heard of the Xenoblade 2 dub

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Real hurthling! posted:

Xbc2 dub is worst in combat where its just 400 stacked character barks playing at once

that's the good part of the dub

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the JP VO for Morag apparently does a lot of androgynous-leaning characters and man does the English VO scene need people who specialize in that for like, Cyberpunk or some poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the best part of xc2's voice acting is the guy who screams out the status effects. no idea why they removed "a really hype guy screams out all the status effects" in xc3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm with the person up thread who likes their combat fast and twitchy so I have never gotten into Souls and its very deliberate combat

everyone says i'd like Sekiro but the n*zis at Activision refuse to put it on sale....

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only thing in HK that really strikes me as excessively souls-y is the corpse runs which at least have a lore reason for happening. stuff like the way NPCs are handled or the background storytelling were good poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the way healing was handled and how finding timing windows to heal in combat could be a legitimate boss fight strategy, that was also ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if turn based combat gives you a clinical depressive disorder, that seems like, a you problem

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you cant just call everything a skill issue. that is illegal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Natural 20 posted:

I am pretty convinced at this point that the slow start in Tristrat was probably by intent.

It speaks to the confidence that the devs had in the game. They wanted the early part of the game to be evocative of peacetime and so naturally battles are scarce and a player can sense the difference when poo poo finally hits the fan.

Additionally I feel like all the work they do in those early chapters does a lot of the heavy lifting for establishing you in Norzelia so that decisions you make and the reactions to them from the wider cast make sense deeper in the game.

I think one of Tristrat's greatest strengths is that no character feels like they pick up an idiot ball at any time and that if you look at how they act, it's always consistent with the beliefs the game has established for them.

And if you don't feel like you can be patient with the game for three hours, then the devs are fine with you tapping out.

filter for people with no attention span

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Permaban everyone who did not vote for Elevator Action Returns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3ZXl864Ms

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDm-TND_gE

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

actually tbis sucks rear end I just wanted to post a taiko song

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG5hMqI_ou4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat what a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjATgCJXdqY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have so many contenders, but this is the only that got stuck in my head for a SOLID WEEK PLUS, so it's what I'll go with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ2KB5LVdqA

This is still in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4vY_UmMIY