Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

10. Return to Monkey Island

This felt like it was never going to happen. An honest to god sequel to Monkey Island 2 by Ron Gilbert? Truly a gift that needs to be appreciated because we don’t get many of these. Will make you remember how much fun an adventure game can and is supposed to be.

9. Marvel SNAP

This game took over my life for a few months. How is Ben Brodie and his team this good at designing card games?? The “just one more match” feeling but multiplied by 100 since the matches are so short and it’s plain old addictive. A deck building game for people who frankly hate deck building. It is so simple and precise at what it does and the snap mechanic really gets you into it. Some real stakes in this game when you bet it all on your play. No better feeling than snapping on your opponents snap OR the fear when the opponent snaps on you. Pure kino

8. Dwarf Fortress

A true triumph of gaming. Unbelievable how this finally released so normal dumb people like myself can finally take a crack at it. This year I’ve spent mostly watching tutorials and let’s plays just to learn how to play the drat thing. I’m excited to keep playing this for years to come. Best feel good moment of the year when the devs finally got their rightly deserved pay day. Legends

7. Gran Turismo 7

I wanted to get into cars this year and this game helped me accomplish that. A very chill and almost zen experience. There is a true joy from the developers in here that’s embedded everywhere. From the amazing feel of each car, to the gorgeous presentation and just the loving attention to detail. Sure it has its faults but goddamn if I didn’t love playing this game.

6. Destiny 2: The Witch Queen

Destiny just keeps getting better. It’s been a wild ride with this game but Bungie finally cracked the code on how to make a killer expansion with the previous release Beyond Light and this just takes that to the next level. Finally there is fun and engaging storytelling (week to week no less!). But the best thing they did this year outside of the killer raids was the addition of the Legendary difficulty mode from Halo for the campaign of Witch Queen. FINALLY a loving challenge!!! This is what destiny heads have been wanting since 2014. It was so exciting and fun to do and I can’t wait for next year’s expansion.

5. Sonic Frontiers

I am in awe with this game. Sure the story basically amounts to a whole lot of nothing but this was some of the most fun I have had all year. There is a joy to just loving running around and grinding through the entire map. Then you get the more “traditional” 3D Sonic Boost stages and those were a blast to S-rank all the way through. Could it have been more difficult? Sure, I played on hard mode. There are some baffling decisions here where they try to bite off more than they can chew (bullet hell shmup sections that recall Nier automata and ikaruga) but otherwise this was just awesome. If they can tighten up the controls a bit give you a bit more direct control like in sonic adventure 1 or 2 then this would be a masterpiece I think. I haven’t been a fan of a sonic game since the dreamcast and I never really vibed with the boost games until now. I’m excited for the next sonic game as this was an excellent foundation to build on.

4. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII: Reunion

I loving hated the original PSP game back in the day. The gameplay was just not really there as this was just basically diet Kingdom Hearts and even then not really. The slot system loving sucked (rage quitting after not being able to level up for hours) and yeah the moment to moment gameplay just was not engaging.

Come FF7 Remake and how they finally solved the action combat system for a FF. While this game isn’t like that, they take a Nier Replicant-esque approach and actually make the combat a lot of fun! That and they painstakingly recreated the visuals of this PSP game to look loving amazing. Square Enix is loving back baby I don’t even give a gently caress anymore, give me a Dirge of Cerberus remake. This is redeeming the original FF7 compilation in ways I couldn’t even imagine.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

This was the year that you could feel the switch seams coming apart. This game pushes the switch to the absolute limit with it’s gorgeous open world. Monolith finally delivers an excellent and easy to follow combat system. Gone are the days of hitting up YouTube just to learn how to play these games, they finally provide a great tutorial and in game help system. Xenoblade is just a whole rear end vibe. The party of characters are more relatable and just more fun this time around and it gives you opportunity to gently caress around with different classes and builds. Just a lot of fun. I just wish I could play this on modern hardware.

2. Vampire Survivors

I almost wrote this game off when my discord was talking about it fervently. I couldn’t believe they were talking about this really cheap looking (and just in general cheap in price too) game! Boy was I wrong. This is loving awesome. First you just play to survive. Then you not only survive but look for new builds to gently caress these demons and monsters up. The simple gameplay, the pixel art and the music all come together for the complete package here. There is hidden depth to this game and suddenly you’re 30 minutes in and it’s over. Wow loving amazing. A great example of doing more with less.

GAME OF THE YEAR - 1. ELDEN RING

Let’s loving go baby it’s Elden Ring. You already know what it is. From software’s magnum opus. I mean what else is there to be said. This game took over my loving life. Exploration hasn’t been this fun since Breath of the Wild. The world was alive and there was so much to do. The dungeon design was neat and insane. Basically a full rear end Dark Souls level or area was a dungeon. The smaller dungeons were also great too. This was just it man. Haters everywhere had to finally accept that this was the game this year. No one else had the ambition that these guys had. They’re at the top of the loving mountain, and we are so lucky to experience something like this.

Games like elden ring come once a generation, if at all. Just pure loving joy the entire time playing this. Beating bosses like Malenia or the final Boss gives you satisfaction like no other. I rolled credits on this game and then couldn’t even touch another video game for a while. It was like post elden ring depression. Nothing was hitting as hard as this and nothing probably ever will.

Quick list form:

10. Return to Monkey Island
9. Marvel SNAP
8. Dwarf fortress
7. Gran turismo 7
6. Destiny 2: The witch queen
5. Sonic frontiers
4. Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 reunion
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
2. Vampire survivors
1. Elden Ring

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hell yeah first time writing on list and had to do it on mobile app since I’m still visiting my parents. This thread rules and I’m already picking up Tactics Ogre, Signalis and Norco based off some of these lists. Also need to get off my rear end and beat the AI nirvana already. Thanks for everyone writing their lists I love reading them

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

i've only glossed over the lists in here, but it seems like if you love elden ring, you don't list xc3. and if you love xc3, you don't list elden ring. i get it, very different games. still feels noteworthy, though, especially when i think elden ring will finish first and xc3 second.

Elden ring is my number 1 and xenoblade 3 is my number 3.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
poo poo I wanna get tactics ogre reborn but I’ve been getting sold reading a lot about triangle strategy! This game totally flew under my radar for some reason.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Defenistrator posted:

Hey no worries that I missed the deadline. More than happy with just being able to write up about my gaming year it was a lot of fun!

Also to everyone: I loved all your lists and now my wishlist is above 100 games lol. One big lesson this thread has proven is that the best part of a top 10 list is everything before number 1 (which was pretty much Elden ring)!

While true it is cool to see the consensus form. Last year my goty was also FF14 endwalker and it’s cool to see, at least for me, how much everyone really enjoyed a game and it’s a testament to that game. Elden ring has been discussed to death but I truly feel it’s the new standard we will be comparing games against going forward. Just so good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Buying thanks to this thread:

Pentiment
Triangle Strategy
NORCO
Tactics Ogre Reborn
SIGNALIS

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

you can't blame them, there's no way to build muscle memory for understanding criticism so souls fans are forced to fall back to get good. it's sad, really

It’s so funny seeing goons get mad about souls games. I’ll just let Elden Ring’s sales numbers do the talking. As well as the eventual GOTY in this thread.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Phantasium posted:

i know precisely zero people give a poo poo because I was the only dumbass to put a star ocean game on their list (i think?), but i did end up beating the last boss with 7 minutes to go in 2022 so i ultimately managed to keep my completely arbitrary list rule intact for 2022!

hooray! my brain is broken!

This game interests me and I saw it land on the digital foundry top 10 for one of the main guys on there. But I know it’s probably not gonna be for me. The hold that tri-ace has on me…

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Oh yessssiiiiiirrrrr

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just finished Return To Monkey Island. Salute to Ron Gilbert. The GOAT

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I saw rope kid talk about citizen sleeper and thanks to him, this thread, as well as coverage from other places (giant bomb, waypoint). I might get this sometime down the line. Just hard to find time. So many good games!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

coiol posted:

Put me on the list of people who are going to try out Elden Ring because of this thread. Usually I force myself to start from the beginning of a series and I tried DS1 remastered on Switch for a few hours before getting too annoyed with running all the way back to a boss after dying. It sounds like a fair number of people started with Elden Ring and that inspired them to work through the back catalog, so maybe that will work with me.

As a side note I’ve worked out a rough order for big games in the first half of 2023 and it’s looking stacked (all first plays for me):
Last of Us Part 1
Fire Emblem Engage
Elden Ring
Persona 5 Royal
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

With Citizen Sleeper, Outer Wilds, Return to Monkey Island sprinkled in :getin:

Hell yeah return to monkey Island rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Finally was able to read the final list! Thanks for quoting me a lot! Loved writing the lists and seeing everyone and of course the fun countdown.

Elden Ring being crowned GOTY not only makes sense but was an inevitability. The standard for AAA games was absolutely raised this year and despite a loud minority of people on here hating on it (and other from soft games) you cannot deny it’s greatness. From top to bottom the game was a delight and a transcendent experience. This is the game we all wanted after first playing dark souls in 2011 (or the lucky people who experienced demons souls years prior on ps3).

The most satisfying exploration, the most satisfying combat, the most satisfying everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

No, thank YOU