Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

10. Devil May Cry V
i only got around to playing the vergil dlc this year and yeah this game still owns

9. Kingdom Hearts 3
i did all the challenge mode/superboss stuff this year and also replayed it and while this game has issues (gently caress the frozen world) and way too much of the best moments are in the dlc, plus all the best combat content, its still a strong game imo. combat isnt as good as 2 but its still fun and its got a lot of very fun fanservice moments and a cool boss rush. ive always had a heavily nostalgia-fueled soft spot for kingdom hearts' plot but i think there is actually some good stuff here legitimately. and yozora just rules

8. Labyrinth of Touhou - Gensokyo and the Heaven-Piercing Tree
another replay but i really like this game. fun diverse cast, some neat spins on standard dungeon crawling/etrian odyssey/wizardry type gameplay, very user-friendly in terms of letting you reset your character builds. some pretty funny writing sprinkled throughout too even if it barely has a plot. the post-game is pretty tedious but thats my only real complaint.

7. Melty Blood Type Lumina

When this game came out I liked it but it had a ton of issues that made me think it wasn't as good as its predecessor, Actress Again. The devs have been extremely responsive to those complaints from the fanbase, fixing basically every issue the game has. Combine that with all the DLC characters being completely free - not limited time free, just free forever - and this is one of the best and most generous fighting games on the market. Fast, snappy, Neco-Arc.

https://i.imgur.com/76wyaBf.mp4
6. Total War Warhammer 3
this game launched in what i can only call 'a state' and its dlc scheme is insane (at this point if you want all the content you have to buy 3 full-priced games and like 40 separate items of DLC) but it sucks hours away like nothing else for me. im also big into the multiplayer, its a unique and interesting multiplayer game.

https://i.imgur.com/wp24Jx1.mp4
5. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
It's a fun game but it has real issues in terms of replayability/being able to play specific maps whenever you want/general balance, and the plot doesn't really function without Three Houses as context, but for fans of the original game it provides a lot of neat information and what-if scenarios. It's very much a game for the fans but I liked Three Houses a lot so it worked pretty well for me.

4. Blaze Union
i had 3 games i actually wanted to put above blaze union, good year (tho only one of them actually came out this year technically)

3. Witch on the Holy Night
disclaimer i havent read the official tl or played the switch port so maybe they hosed something up but this is a really good VN. Amazing production values that really push the visual novel medium forward and the characters and writing are all great. You really get a sense of how everyone relates to each other. And compared to a lot of VNs its a relatively breezy read in terms of length, its pretty focused on what it wants to do. It leaves a lot of things open for a sequel that hasn't happened (yet? stranger things have happened) but the character arcs and stuff are all pretty satisfying by the end. Plus the magic fights are cool. Very much recommend to anyone who likes visual novels.

2. Project Sekai: Colorful Stage Featuring Hatsune Miku

gacha is bullshit but this game's gacha/rpg stuff is basically pointless so whatever. the writing's incredibly good and sincere, with long-form character arcs intertwining in really interesting ways, it has every event thats ever happened readable in the backlog because FOMO marketing is stupid, it has hatsune miku music. the only gifs i can find of it are stuff like this made by 14 year olds. top shelf stuff. the official translation's kinda mediocre and the gacha stuff still sucks even if theres no content locked behind it (even moreso than when people say that about other gacha games) but whatever, i love it.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

A massive JRPG that marries the ambition of Chronicles 2 with the focus and stability of Chronicles 1. Great characters, fun combat, a fantastic progression system, way too much to do, an amazing OST, this is one of the best major JRPGs I've played in years. i couldnt find a good gif.

edit: honorable mention to sonic frontiers, which i really liked, and signalis, which feels like an indie horror game made by someone whos read weird yuri manga

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I am sorry. Been seeing a lot of miserable posting around Games lately and it bums me out. This thread is the one 'positive only' kind of thread we have and I did not want it to devolve as well.

light jokes about games being bad is to me a much more positive and uplifting experience than enforced positivity all the time, which sounds actually miserable. i get not wanting it to be in this thread specifically but i would not describe calling god of war bad as 'devolving'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure but 'god of war is good' also barely adds anything to a conversation and isnt interesting but people dont get probed for it. why is lazy praise protected but lazy criticism isnt.

and i think people should be allowed to mention they think something is bad casually without having prepared a five point essay about it.

also people randomly dumped on random JRPGs or neptunia or fire emblem or w/e for years and nobody cared but for some reason the mods are handing out probes and cracking the hammer down when people make the same exact post theyve made for decades but about god of war

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 14, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this thread isnt really the place for this convo so ill make another post about this in the feedback thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ALOY: This doesn't seem like the right thread to have this discussion in. I wonder.... Maybe I could use my list of the ten best games of the year here...
kratos puts eleven games on his list

'good try, dad! but you only have ten votes. if you have more games you like, try making one an honorable mention. now let's try again!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection 1 isnt very good and the only real plot connection you need to know is 'another magical girl jrpg happened previously.' the main character of 1 is in 2 but just as a random party member and the game explains her deal very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really hope they localize the power pro baseball games again because they own. Sadly their attempt at doing that on the wii flopped hard and they cut out a lot of features from them so rip